main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Indepedence of Wales...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Space_Dementia, May 18, 2011.

?

The Indepedence of Wales...

Poll closed May 18, 2011.
  1. Yes

29.4%
  2. No

70.6%
  1. Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia Jedi Knight

May 16, 2011
    I've been thinking about this for a while now, I'm not really political kinda guy, if anything I dislike politics.

But, does anyone think Wales could be an Independent country? Scotaland seem to be heading towards that direction, and it got me thinking, I'd like it for our country to be its own again, not park of the Union Jack, but its own Identity.

I've created a poll above for those to simply answer yes or no, if they would want Wales to be Independent.

Aw, while just writing this I realised it might have been better posted in the Wales/Midlands forum...not sure.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Nobody posts in Midlands-Wales anyway :p

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I'm not an expert, but Scotland appears ready and able to be its own independent country and I support that. It has its own parliament, its own laws, and its own standing. Wales is nowhere near that stage yet, and I don't see them getting or even wanting independence for at least 10 years.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    There weren't Welsh kings the way there were English & Scottish kings.
    Wales has essentially just been another region of England for years.

I don't think it would survive by itself, I'm a strong supporter of the Union and I can't see how it would be better breaking it all up.

I do think though that Wales should be included on the Union Flag.

5. Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia Jedi Knight

May 16, 2011
    Yeah I agree, I've always woundered why it was never including, they could put it up in the top left hand corner, like the USA or Austrailian flag.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Na, the Dragon should go in the middle.

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Heh, this was also posted on the official Muse forums I go on.

Common consensus is that Welsh independence is an amusing concept considering how unfeasible it is.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Welsh football teams even play in the English leagues (Swansea, Cardiff etc) instead of having their own like Scotland.
    Face it, we own them :p

9. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I had to send off for my password in order to log in again and post on this madness!

First off, the Welsh Royal line is still a huge part of the Welsh culture and statues of our kings can be seen all over Wales, so the
    "Wales don't have any kings like wot England and Scotland did." line makes no sense what so ever!! Or maybe certain posters fell asleep
    in history class. ;)

Wales currently has a high level of indepednace from England (along with Scotland) and has a law making parliment in pretty much everything
    but name.

I don't quite know what the hell you English guys think of us Welsh, but the way you guys talk you could swear its just 3 men and a sheep
    standing around in a field all day! We are the original Britons and have the oldest language in Europe, along with a proud culturual heritage
    that goes back further than a time when the English were still called Germans... ;)

Trust us, if both Wales and Scotland decided to gain indipendance, we would more than able to look after ourselves.

As for the Cardiff/Swansea English league thing... Just look at the God awful SPL and tell us we didn't make the right choice!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It was the right choice, but it's not the English league if non-English team are in it.

Since Wales does not feature on the Union Flag I think England's view of its importance is clear :p

11. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    It may come as a shock to you, but no one really cares what the English think. [face_mischief]

England and Wales play cricket together, so the football situation is nothing new. Plus these teams
    have been playing in the English league for like 100 years! So teams like Swansea are as entitled
    to the riches of the Premier League as much as any other club, despite being Welsh.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But, the Cricket authority in England is called the England & Wales Cricket Board. No such destinction exists in football for some reason, seperate international teams but combined league teams.

13. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    England would be wealthier without Wales and Scotland however, I fully support the Union. Scotland gets a pretty good deal (although they won't admit it) and Wales has been politically tied to England since at least the 13th century.

If Wales was to be independent, something I'mnot even sure most Welsh people want, it would still be dominated by the biggest nation in the British Isles i.e. England so what would be the point other than a bit of symbolism which can be achieved as being part of the UK? I am all for more power the Welsh Assembly as I am for the Scottish Parliament but within the United Kingdom.

The reason there is no overt reference to Wales on the Union Jack is because constitutionally it is part of England which is represented by the St George's cross (I wouldn't be happy with that if I was Welsh). Don't hold your breath for a change in the flag either - it ain't gonna happen. What could be done though is the Queen could change her Heraldic Achievement to better incorporate Wales, although I understand why it isn't on her coat of arms as Wales is a principality and the other symbols hark back to kingdoms. Personally I'd drop one of the English quarters for the Welsh banner in her coat of arms.

Wales has a rich cultural history and identity which can and should be celebrated however I think England, Scotland and Wales are better to face this chnaging worl together than apart!

14. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Yes Yes Yes

Indepedence of Soctland
    Now the Indepence of Wales
    SOON the Indepences of N.Ireland

and evey Muslim first,second third.....generation from the indian sub-contitnent
    will SOON become
    ENGLISH

Yeeeessssssssssss :p

Eat my dirty socks BP, NF & EDL. :cool:

15. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I doubt the Muslims in Scotland or Wales would become English if both counties were independent ;)

16. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    [face_laugh] How I've missed these discussions!