main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Indian Premier League Cricket -- Twenty20 Cup

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Exciting!

So why not get all the best cricket players in the world and throw them into different teams in the one tournament? Well that's exactly what they've done!

The IPL for cricket is in essence what the English Premier League is for soccer (football).

IPL Website -- each of the squads are listed on this webpage. That's one major interest in this first cup, as you don't know who is playing who!

Already some of the games have been completed. McCullum has smashed records with his 158* and Hussey has also managed to crack a century in the Twenty20 sport.

Have you been watching? ;)

2. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I haven't been able to see any games yet, but I did notice McCullums ton. Absolutely astonishing - 12 4's and 13 6's.

3. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I unfortunately haven't had much of a chance to see any of it, only what they have shown on the news...

They are showing like 3 games in a row on Ten HD this sat, so I plan to sit in front of the TV then.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    The timing of most of the games is a bit unfortunate down here, but boy are they exciting. You'd think the whole world of cricket would be checkin' this out.

5. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    About to go to bed, but Haydos is sure playing well.

6. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Great finish to the match tonight - Warne hits two sixes in a row off Symonds to win, fantastic stuff.

7. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Yeah I recorded last night's match to watch this morning but the VCR cut out about half way through the second innings, tis a shame the DC couldn't defend their decent score.

8. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Ok so the TV Guide said the broadcast for last night's game would start at 11pm Aussie Eastern Time, but it didn't start till about 12:30, so I only got to see and hour and a half of the game :(

9. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Loved the first game last night!

Ponting's Golden Duck! Naturally Ponting is continuing his fabulous form from the summer :p
    David Hussey's Duck... twas a shame really!
    Captain Ganguly picking his nose for the cameras! Yeah they showed a picture of him a great time!

Also, I am considering whether I should get an IPL cricket shirt, but I don't know which to choose, they are all so rediculous!

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I saw a small part of the game Saturday night, but not nearly enough to know any scores. I love how they talk to the players/captains during the game ... that's basically what I caught on telly.

How was Ponting dismissed?

11. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    Daredevils have a cool kit.

My local team is Chennai. Probably the strongest side. At least till the Aussies pack up and go to the Caribbean.

I'm not that interested though, tickets are expensive in my city because it's selling well. In some(one or two, actually) of the cities, tickets are much cheaper.

A lot of people are taken in by this whole thing. What's the reaction like in your country?

12. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    It's getting fairly good ratings, especially considering it's starting at around midnight most nights. I'd like it if they'd replay the matches at a better time though.

13. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I definitely agree there. I don't generally hear the results of the games unless I specifically check it out online. If they replayed a match or two in the evening, around 7, that would be awesome. Definitely something to watch over dinner, you know.

14. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Anyone else still watching?

I watched Warnie's team on Sat night, they are doing very well!
    Also, I can't remember which sponsor it is, but every night during a match they have a trivia question where you can enter to win a competition etc... Saturday night's question asked 'How many Retired Aussie cricketers are playing in the IPL? The options were 4, 8 or 10. The answer is obviously 4, but I can't think of the fourth person; McGrath, Warne and Gilchrist and...?

Anyone as amused by the mascot for the Delhi Daredevils as I am? A cricket ball with a devil's tail...

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Justin Langer? What about Darren Lehmann? They're both on the list for the Rajasthan Royals.

16. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003

There's an Australian opening for Yuvraj's team. Shaun Marsh. Bloody good. He's the next world star.

17. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    And so it has finally come down to the Final tonight!

Mr Warne's Rajasthan Royals vs. MS Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings

Should be exciting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.