main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Infinities trilogy- partially canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    An interesting question popped up in the capital ships thread- As far as the Infinities comic series goes (ANH, ESB and ROTJ, not comics in general that happen to have an Infinities logo), does it represent the presence of characters and elements that actually exist in continuity, despite most of the series occuring in an AU?

In other words- everything is supposed to be "as they were" up until one thing changes, which is when the story branches into AU territory.

However, by that line of thought, some stuff that shows up later must have existed during the canon-events prior to the timeline splitting off.

For example- Villie in ESB, or a starship variation in ROTJ.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I BELIEVE there's something in the ESB infinities that contradicts Episode III. I may be mistaken about that as its been a while since I've read it.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you come across what it is, please PM it to me (or post it in the spoilers allowed thread, but not here).

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Well, I guess we can assume, barring some rewrites, that the Chewie/Han thing that occured in ANH Infinities #3 could have happened. Instead of watching the peace celebrations on Coruscant, they could be watching Imperial propaganda.

I guess we can assume that helmetless Boba Fett showed up before Han and co. in advance of Vader to throw Lando off. And with Han and co. not yet arrived, Vader wouldn't have destroyed Cloud City.

I haven't read ROTJ: Infinities yet, so I'm not too sure how that can fit.

5. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    because of the way that it is set up... everything follows canon up until the point of divergence, things that are shown after the point of divergence but are known to exist prior the PoD may or may not be canon, based on context. Basically, you have to prove that the who or what we see after PoD is something that happened pre-PoD. ie.. Does Boba Fett look like that in the regular EU, simply because he looks like that in the infinities EU... (no, because he might have changed his appearance, or gotten an extra scar, or even been replaced by a clone or Jodo Kast from the time of the PoD to the time we see him (wouldn't be a hoot to find out that Jodo is also a clone of Jango), or at least didn't have some sort of experience that would have made him act out of character and decide to remove his helmet to surprise Lando.

because the intent of these series was to make them infinities, and the authors and artists were given looser controls on what they could and couldn't do, one could argue that they are indeed separate universes that happen to coincide for events we see presented (usually just the few things leading up the PoD) -- how do we know that when Han and Luke stole the stormies outfits on the death star, that Han got to be TK-421 instead of Luke? Some things may be coincidental, but clearly not everything is or else there would be no PoD -- something had to be different in Luke's shot to destroy the DS.. either a wink in the Force, or a faulty torpedo, or bad timing/aim, or simply misaligned quarks at a subatomic level.

So i'd say not reliable as partial canon, because though the pre-PoD stuff looks similar to what we know, it might not be actually the same. Think of it like the Mirror Universe in Star Trek.. at first glance it looks similar.. has similar ships and characters, but when you really look at it.. there's something different about them.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Darn, was kinda hoping we could see Villie pop up in Empire... ;)

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    The general consensus over at the cap. ship thread was that if it existed before the comic began, then its canon. E.g. the starship variant. Everything up to the point at which RotJ infinities begins is equal, ceteris parabus. Luke blew up the Death Star, Malak attacked the Republic, the Clone Wars took place, etc. It's only when the comic arrives that it starts to change.

So in the case of the cruiser, as long as it was built before the comic starts (and for a cruiser we can safely assume it was), it should count as canon. As long as it "exists" before the story begins, then it will exist in the parallel, non-infinities universe at that time too. It may have been destroyed before Endor, or blown up at the battle in the canon version, but it still existed.

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm pretty sure that LFL would say that nothing in the infinities series is canon, however someone who really wants to know should pose the question to the VIPs at starwars.com.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The problem with that, Tam, is that we know that some elements of the Infinties stories existing before the comic began are *not* accurate. For example, the Jedi Temple was *not* converted into the Imperial residence.

TC

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Speaking of Villie, is he the "Devaronian" that Autem talks about in Catspaw to Vos, who sold him out, from the UnTPBed comic Honour and Duty?

11. Gross-admiral_Thrawn

Gross-admiral_Thrawn Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2003
    TalonCard, yes, that thing with the Jedi Temple buggered me. It seems whoever wrote Infinities, did not keep any track of continuity, just went by what was in the movies. So he messed with Imperial Palace.

Also the Empire did NOT deck Coruscant with Imperial emblems to the top :D :D

12. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, you have to admit, it's a cool idea. I liked it. I mean, if you're going to have a story that doesn't follow continuity, why not pull out all the stops?

TC

13. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    The problem with that, Tam, is that we know that some elements of the Infinties stories existing before the comic began are *not* accurate. For example, the Jedi Temple was *not* converted into the Imperial residence.

Forgive my ignorance, but where is it stated that the Jedi Temple was destroyed?

14. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    [Excellence]: "Speaking of Villie, is he the "Devaronian" that Autem talks about in Catspaw to Vos, who sold him out, from the UnTPBed comic Honour and Duty?"

There was no Devaronian in "Honor and Duty", that story only goes up to the point where Saguro Autem's family leaves him. I believe that the tale of Autem becoming a mercenary etc. has yet to be told.

[TalonCard]: "I mean, if you're going to have a story that doesn't follow continuity, why not pull out all the stops?"

I agree. If you're gonna mess with the story, there's no point just tweaking it. Go nuts! :D

15. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Good to know. Just wondering if Villie had been in Honour and Duty, for Autem to make that comment about a Devaronian stiffing him.

Villie was in Acts of War and Emissaries to Malastare, which made me wonder how planned out the Ongoing-Republic series had been.

16. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    >>"where is it stated that the Jedi Temple was destroyed"<<

It's certainly the worse for wear in the NJO, just a crater in the ground. I assume the Emperor destroyed it during the Jedi Purge.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, technically we don't know *when* the Temple was destroyed- theoretically it could have still been around up to the Battle of Yavin and only knocked it down after the Death Star's destruction, which means it might have been kept around for ANH:I based on a butterfly effect.

18. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    It's certainly the worse for wear in the NJO, just a crater in the ground.

Well, if we go by the Enemy Lines duology. (which is where I think it was mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong.) You have to remember that those novels take place after the events of Star By Star, in which the Vong pretty much totaled Coruscant. It's pretty unsurprising to see anything as being little more than "a crater in the ground", don't you think? ;)

Well, technically we don't know *when* the Temple was destroyed- theoretically it could have still been around up to the Battle of Yavin and only knocked it down after the Death Star's destruction, which means it might have been kept around for ANH

Why would it have been knocked down? Honestly, I kinda find it ironic that Palpatine would use the home of his most hated enemies as a personal retreat. ;) Like I said, Coruscant endured much damage in Star By Star, so I assume that it stood at least until then.

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Or perhaps the part of town where the Lusankya was hidden... formerly the Jedi Temple?

So in the case of the cruiser, as long as it was built before the comic starts (and for a cruiser we can safely assume it was), it should count as canon. As long as it "exists" before the story begins, then it will exist in the parallel, non-infinities universe at that time too. It may have been destroyed before Endor, or blown up at the battle in the canon version, but it still existed.

So long as it was built before the comic starts... i don't think you can safely assume that a ship was built prior to the PoD. Because in Infinities, the regular rules of the SW galaxy can go out the window.. perhaps a dark side user under Palpatine took a prototype schematic that was never used and, through the Force, whipped up the entire ship so we see it at Endor. Or perhaps an unknown omnipotent alien race saw an Imperial ship and made modifications to it before returning it to the Empire through a wormhole. Or other highly speculative events happened that allowed this ship to appear at this scene without having to be built the normal way.

If it had to be built the normal Imperial shipyard way, then most likely it was built prior to the shatterpoint. However, it can't be proven that the ship was built the normal way.

20. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    What ship are we talking about here?

TC

21. CaptainArdiff

CaptainArdiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    There're some links to it in a few places. Check the 180s in the Fleet Junkies' main thread. The pic is of a ship which looks like a MCC, but has a whole load of vertical spines and spires. Problem is, it's a background ship, so it might even be two drawn oddly. I don't have the original pic, so I'm nae sure.

EDIT: Here we are. T2Q links to it on P.180 of said thread. I don't hold with this fancy linkin', :p so I'll just give the addy.

http://members.aol.com/strykerdurden/geo-dreadnaughts.jpg

22. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    This one
    [image=http://members.aol.com/strykerdurden/Redeemed-Anakin.jpg]

Although I maintain it looks nothing more than a Nebulon B frigate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.