main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The influence of socioeconomics in Ep. 7

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Jobber, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Jobber

Darth Jobber Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2014
    Forgive me if this has been brought up in another thread already. Hopefully this thing survives more than a couple hours as I think it is a valid and fascinating idea. I did not see any threads where this topic would fit in. I have seen other smart posters allude to this idea after watching the teaser and thought I'd flesh the idea out a little more as it has really been kicking around my head for the last few days and need to get it out.

I believe that the divide between social classes is going to be one of the main reasons that the Empire and the Alliance have been locked in a 30 year stalemate post ROTJ. We only have to look at the current state of the power structure in our own world to get an idea of how this works. A poster in the teaser trailer thread(forgive me for not remember your name) brilliantly pointed out that everything the Alliance had looked old and worn out in the teaser while everything the Empire has looks brand new and shiny. Why is this? Especially if the Alliance has slowly been pushing the Empire back and taking more and more of the Galaxy over a 30 year time period?

I think the reason for this is simple, after death of Palpatine, the loss of the 2nd Death Star and the rout of the Imperial Fleet at the battle of Endor the upper classes, wealthy and social elites in the GFFA were still in control of almost all of the wealth and resources of the Empire. Even though the Alliance delivered a crushing blow at the battle of Endor they weren't going to say "Hey guys it's been a nice run controlling society, being super rich and being at the top of the galactic food chain let's hand this all over to the Alliance." No they're going to do anything and everything to keep their place in galactic society. And put even more resources, money, time and energy into making sure the Empire survives. And since they already have that power and money they can keep churning out new shiny ships, weapons and troops, Also this is a big key they are probably paying a lot of money to members of the lower and middle classes to fight against their own and join the Empire(maybe this is why Finn has a change of heart in EP 7, I'm just saying...). So their stormtroopers and lower level personel are basically a huge mercenary force 30 years after ROTJ,

While the Alliance is basically the lower and middle classes of the galaxy rising up to create social change and displace the corruption and power of the wealthy and elites in the upper classes who have a chokehold on power and resources despite hurting the galaxy in the process. It appears in the teaser that the Alliance doesn't have the money or the resources the Empire does but they probably have an equalizer being most of the galaxy supports their cause and they have a lot more manpower plus the support of the people.

In a nutshell what I'm saying is this given the economic state of our own world where the elites have something like 95% of the wealth. This same dynamic makes a lot of sense in the GFFA as well and I believe that the Empire is being run by people who are desperate to keep their place at the top of that food chain(kinda of like in the USA right now) and the Alliance are trying to displace them. In closing I'd like to say while I don't think this is going to be a main theme of the new trilogy it will be an underlying minor theme which would also serve as sort of a reflection of the world we currently live in.

RattsTyerell38 likes this.
  2. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Isn't it too early to say? The teaser didn't scream power chokeholds to me.

mratm23 likes this.
  3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Apparently, trade negotiations weren`t as useless as many believe. :D

4. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Art imitating life? That's never happened before. That's just crazy talk!

Darth Punk likes this.
  5. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Me too stupid to understand thread.[face_dunno]

plaidphoenix, mratm23 and TheBBP like this.
  6. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Wow.

mratm23 likes this.
  7. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Far too political for this forum and far too overthought IMHO. The difference in the budgets of the Empire and Rebellion had nothing to do with class warfare, it had everything to do the respective pools of resources and the fact that many worlds were trying to keep their support of the Rebellion small enough to escape notice from the Empire. Both the Empire and the Rebellion were made up of people from all walks of life, it's not like the Empire was a load of aristocrats. Both sides had plenty of them.

Everyone in power desperately wants to stay in power and that goes for the Empire or Republic and if you were looking to draw parallels, you could draw them to any political regime in the world without singling out one country. You are over-politicizing the issue.

8. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Your avatar is awesome

TheBBP likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish Beezel made threads here.

10. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Not sure there is any indication that the 1% or other wealthy, financial elites of GFFA are better served by an imperial form of government than a republic. In fact it might be in their financial interest to have a republic take control.

Interesting thought but I don't think this will factor into the sequel trilogy.

11. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    There's absolutely no correlation there at all. If so, then the Rebellion in the OT has failed entirely, and the Empire is still in full control. There are many historical parallels with the real world and Star Wars, but this is not it. It's probably closer to the disruptions in national powers and sovreignty in Europe after the fall of the Berlin Wall, if anything.

CairnsTony and TheBBP like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Clearly, it's time to abolish taxes on outlying trade routes.

Dak Oolron, TKT, TheBBP and 1 other person like this.
  13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Agreed. We should also remember that the likes of Leia and Padme had access to power and wealth but nonetheless sided with the Rebellion. I think if anything, this was part of GL's message: the Empire is something that unites people from all backgrounds in their opposition to oppression and totalitarianism. In a way, it is the great leveller.

14. DantooineOrBust

DantooineOrBust Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    What? You mean Alliance right? Because i'm 100% sure that his message was not that the Empire unites people from all backgrounds in their opposition to oppression and totalitarianism.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It's just another case of the Man trying to keep a Brother down!

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  17. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    The only 1 percent I want to hear about I Star Wars are those few people who can use the Force.

Violetsaber likes this.
  18. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    [​IMG]

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    What if Keith David and Rowdy did a SW buddy film?

plaidphoenix likes this.
  20. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    David Bowie and Roddy Piper?

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  22. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014

23. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
  24. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    I poopood a little bit reading this thread, maybe even a little bit of weewee too.

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Unless Leia's checking account was on Alderaan I'm pretty sure she's in the 1%. Mon Mothra doesn't look too working class either

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.