main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I hated the movie version of Eragon with a passion, and the only way Eldest will be any good will be if it:
    1. completely disregards Eragon
    2. Wins 20 Academy Awards
    3. Cures at least 2 types of cancer

Sorry, that made me laugh a little :p I don't know that they'll make another one, though; as you said, the first was bad (well, my friends told me it was; I was busy the night they saw it).

Yeah, it's like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and every other major sff story. Most SFF authors follow basically the same plot (I'm too lazy to go find where I wrote it out in length, but the basic thing with the hero who saves the world and gets the girl, etc.). Good ones can vary from it, disguise it, or make it epic. CP did none of the above.

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Since it did atrociously at the B.O., i doubt they will.

Yes it is basically a Star Wars rehash as Lord of the Rings, but, unfortunately for me, that's what I like.

You know how people watch really old crappy movies, and find a way to laugh at it and enjoy themselves because it's horrible? It's like that with Eragon, I know it's bad, but i love it anyway.

3. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    OK Saphira can't die because of Eragons vision. In the first book he had a vision of him and another rider leaving Alagasia on a boat, with two dragons flying above.

4. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I always say to people who like it, "I liked it better when it was called Star Wars".

Will there be a Jabba, an Ackbar and Ewoks?

5. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007

who's to say Eragon can't get another dragon?

I know it's not likely put paolini didn't mention any colors of the dragons, he just said there were two dragons

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't think Eragon would get another dragon. Brom didn't after his dragon (also called Saphira) died. Losing a dragon is the most terrible thing to happen to a dragon rider, since their minds are so strongly connected together. Glabatorix lost his dragon and asked for another, which the dragon riders at the time wouldn't give him. I think it says somewhere that losing his dragon drove him to madness and being denied another only made it worse . So he took Shruikan for his new dragon, but their bond is unnatural and twisted by dark magic -- that's as far as I can tell. Been a while since I read the books and I don't plan on re-reading them.

Besides, I don't think Paolini would kill off Saphira.

I hated the movie version of Eragon with a passion, and the only way Eldest will be any good will be if it:
    1. completely disregards Eragon
    2. Wins 20 Academy Awards
    3. Cures at least 2 types of cancer

[face_laugh]

Wouldn't that be lovely?

I was sort of hoping that Eragon would be a better story when translated on to film (considering that film makers do change certain aspects and elements), but having seen the film, they really did mess things up and the entire film turned into a disaster, IMO. I saw it in theatres with one of my friends and we couldn't stop laughing because the dialogue totally made us crack up, it was pretty pathetic. I think the line where Eragon tells Arya something along the lines of, "You look fit for battle" is what really did it for me. I lost whatever meager hope I had for the film, then. Not just is the line ridiculous, but the way it was delivered was just...

I think I'll leave it there. :p

Yeah, it's like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and every other major sff story. Most SFF authors follow basically the same plot (I'm too lazy to go find where I wrote it out in length, but the basic thing with the hero who saves the world and gets the girl, etc.). Good ones can vary from it, disguise it, or make it epic. CP did none of the above.

QFT.

Usually I would drop a series like this because I find so many faults in it, but I admit, I'm curious to see the final outcome, to see if it could -- possibly -- get better. So I'll be following it through until the end, though I'm not buying any more of the books even though I own the first two.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I think it's similar to the fascination people have when they see a train wreck, rubber neckers cause accidents though

8. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    It's so horrible, but you just can't look away[face_laugh]

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Strange, isn't it? [face_laugh]

In step with the last announced spoiler, I'm thinking that's it's probably Katrina who will be the character who is pregnant in this book. I'm hoping that it's not Arya. If it is, I think that will be enough for me to lose my strange, inexplicable fascination with the books all together. :p

10. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    Yah, I'm hoping that it will be Katrina. I hope that its not Arya, for many reasons.

What do you think is going to be at the vault of souls?

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Oh, what a dramatic name, the Vault of Souls! *18th-century style girlish faint*

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :p [face_blush] I can be accused of it too as a writer, but these overdramatic names for things are starting to get on my nerves a little bit. 8-}

I'm thinking they're either going to:

A) rescue someone who has died, either in previous books or in Brisingr itself
    B) do a "Paths of the Dead"-style thing

I'm really hoping that it's not going to be one of the above.

12. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    I'm hoping that somehow he meets Brom at the vault of souls. Its very unlikely but I can wish.

What I think is more then likely to happen is, hes going to meet someone who gives him more power making it a little bit more balanced out with his battle with the other two evil riders.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    If he meets Obi-Wan, sorry, Brom at this vault of souls it might not be a good thing, even though Brom is probably the only character that I liked in Eragon. He should have hit him on the head a few times though

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So I decided I would go attend the midnight launch, even though I loathe this series. :p But I'd really like to meet up with other fantasy readers and hopefully make a friend or two.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That'd be cool, but I don't know that a great way to strike up a friendship is to meet a bunch of people excited about the book and tell them how much you hate it :p

Is it just me, or has excitement for this third petered out a bit? Eragon was a hit, Eldest came out while Eragon was still a hit and rode on it's coattails a bit, but it's been a while. Do a lot of people (especially above middle school age) still like these books?

16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I certainly don't know about the second part, but I definitely share the sense that the excitement is not what it once was. Thankfully. :p

And no, I might not tell everyone I hate the series, I'll be a spy about it. :p

17. Mister_Master

Oct 17, 2007
    It all depends on where you look. If you go to the forums at Vroengard Academy you will find a lot of people who still love reading the books, and cant wait for Brisingr to come out.

18. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    True. In RL, I have barely heard a word about the Eragon franchise in months and the last place I heard anything about it was at my old elementary school I re-visited. I can't think of too many people my age or older who are still excited (well, I was never excited about it in the first place :p ).

19. SaintTames

SaintTames Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2008
    Hey, by the way, I wrote a little blog post back in April about my predictions for Brisingr. I was gonna go back and revise it, but, honestly, I still agree with nearly everything.

So, yeah. You all should check it out. :)

Tames Was Here

EDIT: Um, it appears as if my site's down right now. It'll be back up sometime soon, I hope. Sorry 'bout that.

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    It's back up and I read it. I couldn't help laughing at some points. If you do get a chance to say "I told you so" when Brisingr is released, I won't be surprised at all. ;)

Some stuff will happen and then Saphira will be killed. The final dragon egg will hatch for Eragon, producing a green dragon - to match his sword. This dragon will, clearly, be named Emeralda.

This is one theory that I haven't heard yet -- I think most people believe Arya will be the next dragon rider because the dragon will be green, she already has green magic, she's an elf, she's a woman and the other two riders are male, yadayadayada... oh, and I believe that Saphira is the last female of her species. So Emeralda would be out of a choice of name, though that DID make me laugh very hard! [face_laugh]

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nice predictions! I agree with some, but not all - I don't think Saphira will die, at least not in the third book.

22. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well the book is out guys, anyone dared to read it?

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    After the amount of money I spent on textbooks this year... no. :p If I do ever read it, I'll get a copy from the library -- and that will probably be sometime in the summer when that happens.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nope, I'm depending on you all to tell me what happens :p

25. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I got it on Saturday. I'm a little more than halfway through right now. So far, I have to say, it's annoying me much less than Eldest :p

I also really like Elva.