main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ~The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini~ Discussing its literary merits

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Elori

Elori Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2002

2. THRAWNFAN

THRAWNFAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2007
    This isn't a reply to any above post, but a few comments about Eragon. It's much better then I thought it would be. Of course it is derivitive but so is most SW fiction. I enjoyed the relationship between the title character and Saphira(spelling?) and even though he wasn't shown, Galbatorix is a fersome villian

3. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    As I understand it, A Song Of Fire and Ice has now been optioned for a TV mini-series, a book a season. An, interestingly, HBO are the channel that have obtained the rights, and based on previous levels of graphic sex and violence on the channel, I do not foresee a problem with it matching the original text.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117957532.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ooo, that sounds really cool!! When is it starting?

5. THRAWNFAN

THRAWNFAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2007
    I heard what really bothers ppl about eldest is that the elves are vegetarian and athiest

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Never bothered me. I think it's a lot more than that.

7. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I've noticed an obsession with 'hairless elf groins' on some of the critical sites. :p But there are plenty of legitimate problems with the books, but I'm not in the mood to talk about them right now. Read my post to read the bulk of my compliants about it.

Latest news: the Green Book ain't coming until 2008 according to shurtugal.com. Maybe my conspiracy theory has merit after all . . .

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Probably--and it figures, too. If he doesn't have a title, it's probably not completed enough to be published soon.

Green book?

9. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    'Green Book' is the buzzword for Paolini's third book. He said that it would have a green covering and a green dragon on the cover, so in lieu of a title we have 'The Green Book', or, as the critics say, 'The Green Brick'.

Yeah . . . I was thinking it wasn't finished yet. Wonder what he's doing off in Montana . . . or maybe they're giving it a massive editing job.

10. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Latest rumor flying around: the Green Book could end up beyond 1000 pages in length. :eek: Gaah . . .

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oi vey. While I usually dance in joy for 1000 pages, I don't think I can take that :( Luckily I have a lovely friend who will tell me everything that happens anyway :p

12. Darth_Sparhawk

Darth_Sparhawk Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, I love this series of books. I am fond of traditional fantasy series and I think that Paolini has done a very good job. I have no problem with the fact that he uses familiar plots, because, as I said, I love traditional fantasy settings.
    Also as a Star Wars fan I love to compare the similarities between the two works of fiction and to find the small differences. The only this I don't like in the series is the brief atheist propaganda in book II.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That never bothered me; it's a fantasy book (and that never bothers me IRL either).

I hate compairing :p The lit teacher isn't so happy :p

14. Darth_Sparhawk

Apr 26, 2007
    What is IRL? I know of such racing series, but this is other thing?

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry -- IRL is in real life.

16. Darth_Sparhawk

Apr 26, 2007
    Thank you. I thought it as Indy Car series and was a bit stunned[face_laugh][face_flag]

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Really? Where did you hear that????

18. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    It was flying around the shurtugal.com forums back when you were still allowed to lurk . . . it hasn't been confirmed to my knowledge yet.

19. lightning-girl

lightning-girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    in response to an earlier post containing the words "Did not SW also draw from others?" or something along those lines. In the words of my hero Douglas Sills "All heroes from Star Wars to Lord of the Rings have been drawn from him." Him implying the Scarlet Pimpernel, going back over my favorite heroes it's true.

20. Charon_Force

Charon_Force Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2006
    I was shown this newsletter on another website (specifically anti-shurtugal). Paolini's official website sent this out.

21. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    ^ My apologies. The above is me, I forgot I was signed in under a sock.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That is sooooo cheesy. Actually, that entire newsletter is cheesy. If he can listen to and iPod, he can get on the computer -- or at least write with a pen!! This is not the 1700s.

23. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Maybe he thinks that writing in such an archaic way will help him get into the 'setting' of his land. Then again using an iPod contradicts that idea. All I'm certain is that if he keeps up his leisurely pace he won't have it finished for years and people are going to stop caring.

I would give him credit for plugging Scalzi (he's actually pretty good, I've been reading him since he was just a columnist for the now-defunct Official Playstation Magazine) but he did it in such a manner that I wouldn't check him out if I didn't know who Scalzi is.

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    What's the offical site? I want to send a link to my friend and then make fun of him :p

25. Yodas-evil-twin2

Yodas-evil-twin2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2005
    You obviously are unaware of the means Paolini will go to in order to inflate his own ego.