main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The inner strength factor of the SW films

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keyser_So_So, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keyser_So_So

Keyser_So_So Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2005
    Personally, I've always felt one of the best things about the Star Wars series was the idea that the force is all around and we can tap into it whoever or wherever we are.

Some complained that with the prequel trilogy's need to explain, and as a result, the introduction of genetics like Midi-chlorians, the series lost that feeling of anyone can do it.

In my opinion, it doesn't really change depending on midi-chlorians- it's just that it had to be explained why Anakin Skywalker was such an amazing being and so it still leaves the idea that perhaps everyone has midi-chlorians (but the fact that it is stronger by genetics rather than one's ability to tap into the force has slightly dampened the whole idea).

What do you think? I know that 'Remember, the force will be with you... Always.' invokes a powerful emotion for me, but perhaps that's just because I've grown up always surrounded by the Star Wars movies and their mytholgy and ideas.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the Star Wars films create a lot of feel good feeling not least because of being so enjoyable- but also because the idea that we can all be as strong as the Jedi Knights we see onscreen is very appealing and inner strength creating.

2. Gamebird

Gamebird Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    The midi-chlorine stuff... I tell myself that they are a byproduct of being able to use the Force, not a creature that generates the Force itself. And certainly not a sapient creature.

We are told the Force is everywhere, in all living things and in non-living ones too, like rock. If it were a microscopic creature, then it would not exist in rocks and non-living material.

If the Force stemmed from microscope living creatures, then it should be possible to eliminate or enhance these creatures. Or communicate with them more directly. They should have needs and wants - most life wishes to reproduce itself. These issues don't seem to exist for the Force users.

The Force works in space. It works on inanimate objects. But it does not work on all creatures (Toydarians being an obvious example). Manipulation of the Force comes from sapient, sentient, living beings. It is directed intentionally by these beings.

To me, reducing the Force to an issue of biology removes the Inner Strength issue you speak of. It reduces the Jedi to a heretitary monarchy, an exclusive club that you're either part of or not. Everyone else is simply left out. And that bothers me. Sure, people want to be special, but we want to be special because of our decisions and our actions, not because of who our parents were.

3. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I totally agree. Inner strength is what is displayed by the SW heros at every major crossroad in the saga. Even Han shows this, though his belief in the force is quite suspect. SW is very much a saga wherin the decisions you make are just as important as who you are, or what your "destiny" is. The emporer goes on and on about destiny in RotJ, but in the end it's a simple decision on the part of Vader/Anakin that brings balance to the force. He chooses to do what's right.

I think some people on this board are so in love with the prophecy, and it's application to Anakin (though I'm still not convinced it was originally meant to refer to him) that they forget that most of Star Wars hinged on the decisions of heroic characters. Yes, the prophecy was fulfilled. But Nostradomis' prophecies predicted WWII. They didn't predict each an every twist and turn that went into causing the war. It's the same way with SW. The prophecy doesnt say a thing about how this savior will bring balance to the force, it just says it will eventually happen.

4. wonder_alice

wonder_alice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I was thinking about that just yesterday.

I think that having more midichlorians makes you more force sensitive, therefore perhaps more open-minded about the whole idea. If you are intrigued by the force, it is probably because you have sensed it before, that you are aware of it, and that you must have a fairly good amount of midichlorians.

Han probably did not have a lot of them...

5. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Exactly. Lack of midichlorians, or even lack of faith in the force, doesn't prevent one from making the right decisions. Even in the SW universe, there seems to be an elusive right and wrong that aren't controlled or encompassed by the force at all.

It's like real life. We've come up with all these theories, philosophies, and religions, and yet none of them can adequately explain why we humans decide to do what's right more than what's wrong.

The force seems to be a mirror for the things that thousands of years of society have instilled into our being. Every human builds on the knowledge and wisdom of those before us. Over time, this power only grows. It's the same way with the force. People are born, learn and cultivate the force, and release that power back into the universe when they die. In the end, the force helps, but each individual still has the power to choose their destiny.

6. Darth_Juggalo

Darth_Juggalo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    I think that the midi-chlorians only control and or influence the living force. It only controls the here and now aspect of the force. However the force is also an all present factor. It controls our destiny and binds the unicverse together, existing in everything.

7. Drumstick

Drumstick Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2004
    I may be alone in this view, but I've tended to think force ability was hereditary even before TPM.

Why do Obi and Yoda dote so much on Luke (or Leia)? Clearly it's because they inheirited Anakin's innate abilities. The twins were the only ones capable of defeating Vader.

And besides that, force ability always seemed to me to be somewhat limited to the "chosen few." Either the force was "strong with you," or it wasn't. The dialogue in both trilogies seems to support this.

Midiclorians, then, simply give a physical explanation to both Anakin's natural ability and the nature of the force itself that is in every way consistent with the OT.

They don't use the force for you, they just tell you its will. You still have to use your "inner strength" to quiet your mind and listen. You still have to use your "inner strength" to draw on the powers of the force.

Obviously some people are better at it than others, based on how many midichlorians one has. But midichlorians, at least based on their TPM definition, don't seem to be the be-all, end-all of using the force. They would only seem to dictate your natural connection to the force, not necessarily your ability to use it. "Inner strength" would still play a large part.

Besides, everyone has them, so everyone has the ability to use the force to some extent. And heroism in SW isn't defined only by the ability to use the force. Han Solo, quite possibly the most popular character from the saga, is plenty heroic without any force training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.