main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Inquisition / Inquisitors

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LottDodd, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    As rumours start to coalesce and become more concrete, it becomes increasingly likely that one faction we will be seeing in the ST is The Imperial Inquisition. This thread is dedicated to rumours and speculation on the goals, plots, members, equipment, etc... of this particular faction. We have heard stories of these Jedi Hunters from the outset. We have ideas as to who may be playing them. We have seen Concept art that may relate to their leader... But what do we know about the institution itself?

They are not Sith, but many have force powers to some degree. They are surely trained (and/or have equipment) to counteract Jedi Powers. They are obviously a separate branch (from the Army or Navy) of the Imperial Bueracracy. Likely a special group more like The ISB. They also have to have authority above and separate from the Military or the Political arms of the Empire. One of the primary jobs of the Inquisition, other than Jedi Hunting and Force Sensitive identification, would be Imperial Purity/Loyalty investigations. It is just as likely that a deserter Stormtrooper would fall under their investigative jurisdiction as rumours of long missing Jedi.

The Inquisition has been a part of Star Wars EU for a very long time, but hidden in an obscure corner... Mostly pen and paper RPG games. Inquisitor Tremayne and The Inquisition were first introduced in the West End D6 game during the eighties, and more recently The Dawn of Defiance campaign of The Saga Edition from Wizards of the Coast had you battling the Inquisition all the way to Byss and Prakith, where they allegedly had their headquarters.

Historically they have many examples to draw from, most famously "The Spanish Inquisition" (Nobody expects this, [and no one will expect many of these jokes throughout this thread]) or The Salem Witch Trials. You could also argue the McCarthy Hearings or the current "War on Terror" were Inquisitions.

An Inquisition is traditionaly a hardline prosecution of a belief system through legal procedings. It's tools are archetypically torture, terror, and public shaming. It operates on public fear, outrage, rumours and informants.

The Empire is surely just as terrified by the Inquisition as is the Republic (or Rebels/whatever), if not more so.... as there own officers are subjected to the most investigations.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Nobody ever expects the Spanish Star Wars inquisition

Ok now that we have that joke over with, lets continue :p

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    (My goal is a dedicated thread to the Inquisition... there are other threads for general bad guy discussion... Please try to stick to the topic at hand to avoid redundancy)

Dra--- likes this.
  4. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    [​IMG]

Bullhead CIty, cdgodin and Dak Oolron like this.
  5. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014

Meh, this is all pretty speculative. Name does not equal role. Remember that the role of Imperial Stormtroopers is very dissimilar from that of historical Nazi Storm Troopers.

Just because they're called Inquisitors doesn't mean they're going to go around applying the Iron Maiden to those who don't profess religious purity. Force unbelief seems to have been encouraged during the Imperial era—i.e., Han Solo's skepticism of "hokey religions" seemed the dominant, street-smart one in Ep. IV.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I believe that in addition to being a Sith, Vader was the Grand Inquisitor. Starwars.com tells us that the Rebels Inquisitor was "tasked by Vader" and Obi-Wan says that Vader "helped the Empire hunt down the Jedi".

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Given what we've seen of the Inquisitor in "Rebels", it seems more like his function was both military and strategic command. Whereas Vader was the blunt instrument and military commander. My guess is that they're similar to the role of the Emperor's Hand in the old EU.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  8. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Dang, I was just about to do that one ;)

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That would make Inquisitors apart of the Sith, which the Rebels team have gone on record to explicitly confirm the Inquisitor is not a Sith. It would also be a massive retcon in terms of the history of the Sith Order, too.

Filioni implies in a recent interview that by the time of Rebels, majority of the Jedi are dead and Vader probably killed the majority of them (many at a time) on his own. The Inquisitor was, according to the new canon it seems, appointed to pick up the pieces. Vader will only get his hands dirty to deal with powerful Knights or/and Masters; Yoda is probably the only Jedi who'd end up triggering a response from Sidious.

Obi-Wan was giving Luke a very brief and protected analysis of the post-TCW galaxy.

Clearly the Inquisitor has more power than those in the EU; they were merely spies, but Rebels shows him in charge of Stormtroopers and officers.

Hogsquattle, Dra--- and Dak Oolron like this.
  10. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Nya-haaaaaaaaa!

[​IMG]

11. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Really good point about the deserter Stormtrooper, especially if force sensitive. Great way to tie them in.

Dra--- and Han Drolo like this.
  12. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    At this point I'm expecting Boyega to be in possession of Luke's Lightsaber, and that's why he's being chased by Gwen Christie's character , who may or may not be apart of the Inquisitors. IT may even be his intention to find Daisy and bring her to Luke, though that's just my heavy speculation.

13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I think an Inquisition and Inquisitors make perfect sense for Star Wars. To me the genre works best when the villains are some kind of extremists -- the Empire were totalitarians, for example, which was much more dramatic than the Trade Federation, or even the Separatists, who had justifiable reasons for their secession.

So we know for sure an Inquisitor and Inquisition of sorts is canon now with Rebels. The big question is will some of these rumors pan out and will we see it in the ST. I hope so. I think it's good drama while also being a good way of possibly bringing back the Sith, if it's true that's one of the Inquisitor's duties.

TtheForceHurts likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Haven't the rumors also been saying they won't actually be called "the Inquisitors" in the movie?

15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    So if an Inquisitor is still around in VII, who is it answering to? The emperor and Vader are gone. And that is who it was subservient to, yes? And you mentioned resurrecting the Sith. What Sith is it looking to resurrect precisely? Sidious? Vader? Oh you mean the Sith order. Well the order needs a Sith Lord to lead it so what Lord are you pertaining to exactly? It's a rubbish idea IMO. And I hope some tack on weak villain from REBELS has nothing to do with the ST.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Some seem to indicate that, but I don't think we have anything definitive, or even a consensus of rumors, on it yet.

Billy Donnelly from ThisisInfamous said his source hasn't heard the term on set, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Good questions. I don't know. Will the Inquisitors, if they are still around, be answering to someone in the Empire or will they be functioning independently?

I think the rumor about bringing the Sith back was about bringing back the Sith Order. That would simply mean finding and training a recruit strong enough to be named master. But who knows, maybe they actually want to resurrect someone? If so, who???

17. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I like the idea of the Inquisitors. I really like their depiction in Coruscant Nights.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Plagueis? Bane?

Dra--- likes this.
  19. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Ruin? based on the latest spoilers/rumours

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wasn't saying that Inquisitors are part of the Sith. I was saying that Vader's part of both. And it doesn't retcon anything if there weren't any Inquisitors before the events of ROTS.

plaidphoenix and Dra--- like this.
  21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Ruin or Bane or Palpatine make more sense than Plagueis.

22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Or All of the Above if there are competing factions.

Dra--- and I know like this.
  23. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    But the Inquistors are not Sith Masters are they? The last master (Sidious) is long gone. So the Inquistors are not qualified enough to tutor any supposed Darksider to become a Sith Lord.

Hogsquattle likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Inquisitors sure do sound a lot like Lumiya in LOTF.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    As I said in the other thread, my hope is for the villains to essentially be ex-Inquisitors. While they may do some force-sensitive hunting here or there I want them to be focused on something else. That something else could be resurrecting an older Sith or grooming a new one.

TtheForceHurts and Dra--- like this.