VIDEO The Inquisition's Here and It's Here To Stay: The Dragon Age Series

Discussion in 'Games' started by DocRevan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Spoilers for stuff that happens past the first act: Hawke's mom is dead, but you have an 'imaginary' conversation with her anyway by the fireplace: Hawke closes her eyes and Leandra speaks (and you reply!), but then Hawke opens her eyes and there's nobody there. It's a surprisingly touching and bittersweet moment.
  2. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Did you take Anders? He (Justice) freaked out in the tower and we had to fight him. I wonder if anyone else does that.
  3. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I did! When that happened I was like oh crap, don't tell me I have to kill my healer. [face_worried] But it turned out alright in the end.

I don't think anyone else does it. I've been reading spoilers and there is Warden-specific party banter if you bring your Grey Warden sibling to the Deep Roads, but nothing remotely like that.
  4. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Has anyone played through and chose only the red dialogue options for Hawke? I'm compiling a "Hawke is a jerk" video and he/she comes out with some great lines. [face_laugh] Especially female Hawke, you can make her say some horrible things but the way she says it in such a calm and posh voice makes it hilarious. I'm only a few hours in but already have over 3 minutes worth of lines, it's going to be great. :D
  5. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Can I ask? I'm about to start on Dragon Age 2 having just completed Origins (as well as Leliana's Song and Witch Hunt) - will I get a better experience with the second game if I complete Awakening beforehand?
  6. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd say it's worth it. Some of the events and companions in Awakening are reprised in DA2, so it's probably worth knowing about ... that said, I found Awakening quite boring, so you could also Wiki the story and not lose very much.
  7. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I thought it was quite good. It also throws in some new mechanics like political decisions and castle maintenance. Also Anders is far more fun in Awakening, and his situation will make a lot more sense in DA2 if you play through it. I guess you could just read about it, but you could also save yourself time by reading through DA2. :p
  8. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
  9. Evil Incarnate Force Ghost

star 6
    Finally playing dragon age 2 after buying on launch day. :p I really don't know why I waited so long.

Also, is it just me, or is Flemeth kinda hot in this one?

Evil.
  10. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Going through a Mage playthrough and wow, the Free Marches are absolutely chock full of Blood Mages. I'm pretty sure that 80% of my quests so far have involved blood magic to some degree (ignoring the fact that I had two of them in my party).

I can sort of sympathise with the crazy templar who wanted to tranquilize all of the city mages.
  11. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Completed Dragon Age 2! And wow! What a dissapointment.

Some bad things:
    After my first hour or so with the game mostly worrying that the wonderful tactical depth of Dragon Age would be absent (in lieu of a much more console orientated, and very kinetic 'style over substance' style of gameplay, similar in feel to Mass Effect 2 - only without the cover system, and similarly, the tactics from that games combat mechanics too), I thought I'd carry on anyway - perhaps opening up some more talents and developing the characters (both in terms of the story and in terms of stats) would make the game a bit more interesting. Alas, it was not to be. Each class only has two stats that are worth raising, meaning that there's a distinct lack of depth to character creation.
    After I'd completed the first act, I was hoping the story would take off at some point, but it didn't - it got pretty silly, markedly saying that all apostates will end up becoming evil, crazed blood mages with the exception of you and two of your close friends (presumably because the plot demends it). There's a distinct lack of consistance with what Hawke does and who Hawke is - and at times, it feels like your actions have absolutely no effect on the world around you beyond what the plot has in store - after behaving in a certain way around certain characters, you'd hope that there'd be a way to change the way things happen, but it never seems to happen. No matter what you do - the story set on it's horribly linear course.
    As for the companion characters
    - none of them seem to have an arc beyond the story written for them, and none of them seem to develop in any substantial way, the broody elf who hates mages will always be the broody elf who hates mages, your brother after spending years away training to be a grey warden will return and say "I'm a grey warden now, it's really cool, sorry to hear that mum's dead, here, have an item, bye then". Compare this with any of the companion characters in Origins, and feel an urge to face palm.
    At the end of the game, all I really wanted to do was go back to Dragon Age Origins and pretend that Dragon Age 2 didn't happen.

Some nice things:
    The new art style is lovely.
    The bit with Flemmeth chilled me a bit.
    Eve Myles is in it! Ooh!
    I'm going to go and have another playthrough of Origins now. That's a nice thing.
  12. zacparis VIP

star 7
    I pretty much agree with that. However I'm currently on my third playthrough and I'm still enjoying it. I recognize it's not as deep as DA:eek: and doesn't recapture the same magical RPG feel, but for me, it's extremely replayable for these reasons:

1) Each Hawke I've created has had quite different relationships with each companion, so there's enough there to see how it all plays out multiple times.
    2) The combat is fun. Sure it's not as methodical or tactical as DA:eek:, but there are some fights where I've had to take care with what I'm doing.
    3) Hawke's dialogue - as I mentioned earlier, I'm doing an "aggressive" playthrough and she comes out with some cracking lines, which also leads to other situations I've previously missed.
    4) It's a lot shorter and feels more serialized, a bit like a collection of short stories or a TV series, and that makes jumping back into it a little easier. Moments in DA:eek:, like the Deep Roads or the Fade, seem to drag on forever (at least from memory), so the thought of going through those again puts me off a little bit.

So yeah, there's a lot of content in there that can be easily missed if you play through once and leave it. I've really warmed to it since my initial disappointment, and it's been great to discover things each time I go through.
  13. FalorWindrider Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Ignoring of course, the fact that he explicitly used the mages he turned Tranquil as sex slaves...right...

And those blood mages are generally established apostates. The blood mages that are actually from the Circle are a lot, lot less.
  14. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Phew, 10 days and 115 clips later, I finally finished my Hawke video: http://youtu.be/LWsgNLO90Ss

She can be a bitch at times. [face_laugh]
  15. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 5
    i really like dragon age 2. if the third game is like this i am fine with it. though i would like to see some of the depth of the first one back.
  16. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    I got really irritated with it, let me lay out a few points on my experience.
    I played as a Mage, and pretty quickly (or at least, after buying a few potions that let me completely restat my character) I'd managed to worked out that it was easiest to be a split damage dealer/healer with medium . Arguably, a bit of an odd decision compared to my experience of the previous game, where Morrigan was the Damage Dealer (high magic/med will) and Wynne was the Buffer/Healer (high will/med magic) - and I found that trying to get Wynne to do anything that involved dealing damage, or using one too many buffs, or using more than one spell every 10 seconds would drain her pretty quickly.
    Not true in Dragon Age 2, where my Mage ran around with Heroic Inspiration (or whatever the spell was), turned on, would run into a fight, spam the six damage spells she had in the vicinity of the enemy (Firestorm to break up large groups, then fireball and tempest to deal with any more clustered enemies, Cone of Cold to deal with the enemies that I'd drawn the agro from, Chain Lightning, then Winter's Grasp to finish whoever was left) and then, if the battle was still going on, by the time my last spell was cast, the cooldown on the first few would have ticked round for me to do it again - or I could click on my healing spells and do a group heal/revive if things weren't going as well as I'd hoped. Almost no other combats in the game went any differently (I fought two boss revenants who were part of an extra quest that I didn't carry on with, and that was a battle of attrition more than anything, I ran away at one point, waited for my spells to recharge, ran back into the fight, revived all my companions, group healed, and carried on - this was arguably the most difficult combat of the game, and taught me that running away and running back in is a perfectly reasonable strategy).
    I found that increasing the difficulty meant that dealing with the enemies was a bit more of an engaging experience, but then got dejected when the game spawned more enemies for me to deal with at random. Compare this with Dragon Age, where, when a combat started, you'd instantly see what you had to deal with, and could plan accordingly - in the sequal, planning was thrown out the window when, in the middle of a difficult fight, more enemies would pop out of nowhere. I probably spent about ten hours of gametime reloading fights in Dragon Age after getting my ass handed to me, but was more than happy to do it, because in every instance I was let down by my own lack of tactical foresight - the one time I had to do it in Dragon Age 2 was because the game decided to spawn about ten enemies at once and hit the party with a large area paralysis spell. I facepalmed, reloaded and immediately paralyzed the spellcaster before he could paralyze me, and blitzed the rest of the fight. This was the only fight where I had to use a defined strategy against an enemy, other than the spell spam or run away and recharge tactic.

I'm upset at how stubborn Bioware are being about how the combat of Dragon Age 2 was a big step forward. It wasn't a step forward, it felt rushed, cheap, and made me feel like an idiot for spending thirty hours making do with it.
    It's like your second girlfriend, sure she's better looking, and there's more action (I mean sex - I'm using a simile, but bear with me, I'm nearly done), but at the end of the day, you wish your relationship with your first girlfriend didn't have to end, because while she wasn't as dynamic or as pretty, at her core she had a level of depth that left you feeling a lot more satisfied with her company, had a lot more experience in bed, and was always willing to tell you when you weren't good enough for her, and with good reason (making your second girlfriend's agreeableness seem almost sycophantic in comparrison).

Simile aside, I fear that we'll never see a triple A RPG with the
  17. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 5
    the combat is not strategic your right. but the purity of the combat is superior to the first one.more satisfying to be a rogue and even a warrior in da 2
  18. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Define purity.

I hardly see how combat that spawns more enemies out of thin air at you is more pure than otherwise.
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    No one told me there were giant spiders in this game. Xani, you and Sarge dropped the ball on this one. I'm all creeped out now and will probably be watching Will Ferrel movies to help calm down.
  20. GenAntilles Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh yes... the giant spiders, shudders. They freaked me out until I did a ranger playthrough, then I summoned one to fight with me, and he grew on me. I named him Harold.
  21. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Oh yes, darkspawn spiders. They were in the first one though, you've got to expect them to rehash some old enemies.
  22. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I forgot. Honest to god. :p They gave me a massive fright in DA:eek: but for some reason they just didn't register for me in DA2.
  23. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The giant spiders have always kind of bugged me (pun intended). Bears? Wolves? Common enough. Brontos? Weird, but acceptable. But giant spiders? Never really figured out how they were supposed to fit in, given how normal the rest of the wildlife seems to be.
  24. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 5
    I hardly see how combat that spawns more enemies out of thin air at you is more pure than otherwise.

yes your right about the spawning. stupid. when i say purity i refer to the movements of the combat, the feel. and the joy you feel when you dissapear and come up behind an enemy and back stab them. the dual wield is the most addictive combat character i have ever played. i would ferociously launch into my enemies doing backstabs, and quick strikes. it was so primal for me.
  25. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Well normal spiders wouldn't be so scary. But here's a lore explanation: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Codex_entry:_Giant_Spider