main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Calintz_Neos

Calintz_Neos Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2014
    Thrawn 2.0 as the villian seems cool.

Really hope we have a rivalry going on with him and kanan.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Whether or not the idea was ever entertained among the crew depends on how much they really pick the films apart for inspiration. But we see in ROTS the Utapauns being rounded up by the clones. It's after Order 66 when Obi-Wan is sneaking to Grievous' ship. Some of the clones are discussing whether or not they found Obi-Wan's body, and meanwhile Pau'ans are being marched off. They could tie the Inquisitor's origins to that event. That he is a Pau'an that is enslaved to go work after the events of ROTS, but that like Magneto in X-Men: First Class, he gets plucked out of servitude when the Empire recognizes his talents.

3. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    At last it can be told. Even when just a baby, the Inquisitor broke the spirit of one of the galaxy's finest warriors:

[​IMG]

Truly, an adversary whose power to destroy the will borders on magic.

mnjedi, Iron_lord and TaradosGon like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That...sounds perfect. :cool:

Iron_lord and TaradosGon like this.
  5. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I really hope they succeed in making the inquisitor a credible villain and not a walking punch line like poor Grievous.

They probably won't, but at least it won't be Vader who gets his rear handed to him on a weekly basis.

6. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, I'm somewhat glad that The Force Unleashed 1-2 aren't canon anymore, they significantly undermined the threat of Vader.

Theo333, mnjedi, Darth_Pevra and 2 others like this.
  7. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ One of the good things (among many!) about Lucas no longer being in charge is that they hopefully will get away from that idiotic nonsense about Vader being a weakling.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I don't think there's any getting around Vader being a "weakling" given that Palpatine is so eager about having an apprentice even more powerful than Dooku and that "will become more powerful than either [Yoda or Sidious]" and yet, 22 years later, this hasn't happened and isn't even in the cards as Vader "MUST obey [his] master."

Now, what they can do is alter why Vader is "weak." Lucas suggested it had to do with his injuries. But at the end of ROTS, Palpatine seems incredibly pleased when Vader begins tearing the room apart with the Force, not at all disappointed with any alleged lack of potential or power.

In TCW, in the Mortis arc, the Son (as Shmi) tells Anakin that his inability to let go of his guilt in failing to save his mother has turned his love into a prison, and he discourages Anakin's relationship with Padme as she is "a poisoner."

Luke and Padme refer to Vader as having good in him, and a conflict. The Son, as someone trying to tempt Anakin to the Dark Side, discourages Anakin from clinging to the love and regret of his mother, and does not want to see Anakin have a relationship with Padme. Such emotions are implied to run counter to what the Son wants of Anakin.

So, IMO what they should do is not make Anakin in any way inferior due to his injuries. That in the OT, when Luke shows up, Vader becomes "weak" because he is conflicted. He's pulling his punches, he doesn't want to kill Luke and can't fully embrace the Dark Side, because there's that sliver of goodness holding him back. That Vader's weakness is psychological, not the result of physical injury, and that no matter who won between Luke and Vader, it did not matter to Palpatine, because if Vader had killed Luke, then he perhaps would have finally snuffed out the last remaining lifeline to the man he was, and perhaps Vader would finally (or once again) fully embrace the Dark Side and cease to be a disappointment, while if Luke can be enraged and kill Vader, that it results in the same basic outcome, he kills his father, his friends will die, and Luke will fully embrace the Dark Side.

Having said that, I'm an advocate of the idea that nobody aside from Padme and Luke should sense the goodness in Vader, and in all practicality, I don't think there should be any goodness or conflict in Vader UNTIL Luke enters the picture and he realizes that he has a son. I actually think that in Rebels they could/should show Vader as actually being stronger than he is in the OT, but that when the OT roles around, he begins to experience other emotions, like love that creates conflict in him and causes him to pull his punches, not give himself fully to the Dark Side, and THAT is why he becomes weaker, not because he was burned.

The latter goes against what Yoda says IMO, in which Yoda says "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." I think this is an opportune time, given the state of the EU, to establish that Vader's injury did not hamper him in any way when it came to his Force potential. But rather that it was his emotions that weakened. As Palpatine says, "I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, makes you stronger." Thus when Vader is conflicted, he is weakened.

9. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    It depends on how you look at weakness. IMO with his prosthetics he's less physically agile than before the duel on Mustafar, and even then he beat Obi-Wan on the Death Star and Luke on Bespin, and he's also emotionally burnt out until Luke appears, so Lucas is right in the respect. Apart from that, Vader's still the second or third (because Tarkin orders him around in Episode IV) most powerful man in the Galaxy, he's very clever, commands half the Empire and can lay waste to whole star systems. Darth Maul never had that much power, only Dooku came close. Moreover, he has considerable power over Luke, the last hope of the Jedi, because of their parental connection.

That's true in reverse too, Luke has power over Vader, but I think it's important that the Rebellion can't beat Vader without Luke's emotional influence over him.

But in The Force Unleashed, Starkiller and his clone defeats and outwits him without major difficulties (even beating the Emperor in a duel!), and Starkiller could even claim to figure his character by the middle of the first game ("Vader hates himself", "without me, he'll never be free"), even though it took Luke&co three whole movies and many, many years.

purplerain likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, a point is made of how, while Tarkin doesn't outrank Vader, the Emperor has asked Vader to obey Tarkin while on board the Death Star.

purplerain likes this.
  11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I prefer the explanation that Vader chose to obey Tarkin because he saw the Death Star as Tarkin's expertise.

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008

I've never read the novel, but could you elaborate on this a little? I've always interpreted it (with EU material about Tarkin's ambitions) as Vader obeying the Grand Moff to create sense of false security? Letting Tarkin think he has the Emperor-sanctioned authority to boss Vader around, so that he doesn't realise Vader is there to keep an eye on him just as much as he is there to keep an eye on the Death Star.

I suppose it doesn't matter now since the novel is non-canon but would be nice to know if that interpretation aligned with the EU.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Other sources do hint at that - though some suggest Tarkin might actually realise Vader's role as the Emperor's eyes in this:

From the Star Wars Poster Monthly article for Vader:

"Obviously Tarkin believes that he has Vader under control and for a while Vader is happy to let him live with that illusion. However, the Dark Lord has greater plans than defeat of the Rebels and suffers Tarkin as yet another pawn in a much larger gameplan."

From The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader - the Motti choking scene:

Although Vader answered only to the Emperor, it was the Emperor's command that he serve Tarkin on the Death Star.

From the Death Star novel: A scene just before the movie starts - in which Tarkin is musing:

Vader, unfortunately, was beyond Tarkin's command, even though, as the first of the new Grand Moffs, he was a man whose whim was law law in the entire Outer Rim Territories. It was true that Vader's own manner of function was essentially the same philosophy as the Tarkin Doctrine, albeit on a smaller scale; still, it was ... disquieting ... to see the man cause an admiral or general across the room to fall over with a mere gesture as if shot.

Vader's musing before arriving:

There had been, however, setbacks - accidents, sabotage, delays - and these were troubling to the Emperor. And so Palpatine had sent Vader to once again convey his displeasure at these setbacks to Tarkin's pet project, and to suggest - strongly - that the Grand Moff find ways to avoid them in the future.
    Tarkin was no fool. He would understand the message: Fail, and suffer the consequences.

From Death Star Owner's Workshop Manual, General Tagge's Personal Data Journal entry 49 (page 103 of the book):

Two significant portions of the Death Star complement will not fall under the normal command structure, but are worth noting. The first is the Emperor's emissary, Darth Vader, who will answer to Grand Moff Tarkin, and will not be subject to any other authority aboard the Death Star. Second, the Imperial stormtroopers. Both the Army and Navy may call on the services of the stormtroopers, but with the firm understanding that these soldiers fall under the jurisdiction of neither, and that their loyalty is to the Emperor alone.

cwustudent and podjazd like this.
  14. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    So, any idea who's voicing him?

15. al patrickson

al patrickson Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2013
    I was thinking Dave Oyelowo.

16. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    SW.com confirmed in comments section here that he's voiced by different actor.

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/05/04/star-wars-rebels-costuming-101-sabine-wren/

cwustudent likes this.
  17. AdmiralScreedFan

AdmiralScreedFan Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2014
    Now that they confirmed that the voice actor is not David Oyelowo, who do you think the voice actor is? I think it may be James Arnold Taylor because the voice does sound a lot like his Plo Koon voice.

18. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    That is interesting, I was sure it was Oyelowo. Maybe Keith David then?

19. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Very good find podjazd ! I had no idea the official site was taking part in commenting on those blog posts.

Hopefully they reveal the voice actors for Inquisitor and Agent Kallus soon.

podjazd likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's not Keith David.

The Inquistor's voice has a hint of "British". "You did well to call." sound very succinct and proper.

21. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013

Just threw that one our there, tbh. Maybe Oyelowo is Kallus. I did some voice comparisons and Kallus sounds a bit like Oyelowo as well.

22. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I refuse to ignore Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, or The Force Unleashed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    To me TFU is just like General Grievous in the micro series: it's really, really fun, but doesn't work with the rest of Star Wars so well so I can't count it in my canon.

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    The EU that I like always seems to be the ones that everyone else thinks is phooie. Namely, The Force Unleashed and Dark Empire (and Shadows). For some reason those were the most Star Wars-y of the Eu for me. I'm really hoping they at least recanonize Shadows of the Empire. But anyway, back to the Inquisitor.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I love this idea. I hope the show has a lot of stuff in terms of backstories for each character. Utapau and the events from ROTS on Utapau having a further impact on the galaxy, kinda since the show will be limited to Lothal for now.
    I hope the Inquisitior's backstory and voice are interesting cause so far he and his flunky Kallus are really dull and boring. They for sure are no Osi Sobecks or Pong Krells in terms of animated Star Wars villains.

And if the Inquisitor is like the Dooku of the show then he better have an epic voice and backstory cause his look is really unispired. I love Tion Medon, but having a main villain from this species might not have been the best choice.

Exactly! What if the rumors about Data from Star Trek being part of this show. What if he is voicing this guy?!

Kinda, still what the micro series did with Grievous is what "Rebels" should do for the Inquisitor - have his appearances show us that the Pau'an means business and is a danger for our heroes. A task that a show like "The Clone Wars" failed to accomplish with its main villains and portrayal of Grievous.