main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Ehh. I get the impression that High Inquisitor and 5th Brother are a bit too old to have been kids during TCW's time frame. I'm guessing they are Jedi that defected as Filoni mentioned was a possibility, or that in High Inquisitor's case, was one of the Utapauans rounded up by Clones in ROTS. And maybe like Magneto in X-Men First Class, was discovered to have special abilities while in captivity.

Sidious was capturing infants in TCW, which would make them about 15-18 years old in Rebels. But even someone that was 10 would be less than 30 by the time of Rebels. It's difficult to tell because they are aliens, but Jason Isaacs voice just makes it impossible for me to really regard the High Inquisitor as any younger than 40. I always just regarded him as older than Kanan. But that's not canon by any stretch, just my impression

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Well the ones we have seen are too old, but the potential others?

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    For instance, in breaking ranks the GI inspected the Cadets for force sensitivity, but yep the Grand Inquistor is definitely to old because he was 44-43 when he died.

4. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    The Grand Inquisitor was taken from us far too soon. I hope 7 and 5 can be as great as he was.

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm glad that it at least seems like we'll learn more about him posthumously, I agree that High Inquisitor died too soon. I didn't feel like he was utilized as well as he could have been.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth Dnej like this.
  6. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't think people in the Star Wars universe have DBZ-esque power levels. I always hear people complain about the Grand Inquisitor being defeated by Kanan, and I think its silly. Kanan isn't a Padawan, he's a grown man who comes I to a fight with the strength of an old man, and is actually holding himself back from reaching his true potential until he momentarily learns to let go of his fear. The Grand Inquisitor is a being who is studied in light saber combat forms and doesn't seem to really do well against improvisation since it flies in the face of his encyclopedic knowledge.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

True. And emotional state has a lot to do with it. Maul provokes Obi-Wan to anger in TCW and Obi-Wan starts fairing more poorly and Maul says it has imbalanced him. Yet Obi-Wan overcomes his fear later on and is able to fight both Savage and Maul at the same time, whereas he's not a match for Dooku at all by the time of ROTS. Anakin doesn't fight as well against Dooku when he is afraid, but when he unleashes his anger, he defeats Dooku easily, etc. Whether it's intense hatred (Dark Side), or state of Nirvana (Light Side), emotion seems to have a strong effect on one's power. With states in between either extreme hindering one, like Obi-Wan who becomes weak and clumsy when "imbalanced" by anger.

It could just be that like Obi-Wan, Kanan achieved a state of clarity that allowed him to overcome the Grand Inquisitor, but has not yet been able to master such a state to replicate that result reliably.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't know. More like the writers simply writing a scene to play out a certain way, as these characters are not real at the end of the day, which explains the inconsistencies. Yoda could've thrown his lightsaber at Sidious and cut him in half on the bridge but instead he aims above him to sever the broke bridge and he could've ended Sidious as its possible he could've died from a stroke or something as Yoda nearly died after the Force astral plane battle.

Savage was being depowered by the writers as time went on, you watch his raw power and Force repulse missing during his later fights, he was able to parry off Anakin and Kenobi and even overpowers Dooku and Ventress then but starts slowing down or running out've steam in later appearances - seems they made him more dumb too as he rams Gallia, that could've played out different with his head being chopped off. Savage at one point after a kick pauses during the duel which is when Sidious takes the death strike. Savage they made more a lumbering brute as time went on and he appeared reduced by the writers on purpose to get rid of him. Consistency isnt the writers strong suit and I think it depends on the quality of the writing, directing and editing even. They could edit scenes creating an entire different experience and even movie.

Obi Wan should've been a more a challenge for Dooku since he was trained by Jinn, Dooku's apprentice, Anakin was trained by Obi-Wan who was trained by Jinn who was trained by Dooku and Dooku was trained by Yoda. Kenobi even fought Dooku in SOD.

Anakin only manages to last longer in the AOTC fight because he's a more agile and aggressive(dark side using) Jedi which took Dooku off guard in the 2nd movie. The Force lightning he sustained, the pain it caused appeared to have awakened his dark side, remember he slaughtered the Sand People in hate and anger(which acts as the slaughter of the innocent substitute right of passage for a Sith you even had Jinn yelling out and Yoda sensing so it was a pivotal moment) so he was amped on the dark side even if it was latent or more dormant it was still present in attacks. Anakin during AOTC was struggling with his own black heart during the movie, he was essentially bi-polar and throwing fits and tantrums, he was unstable in the movies. The TCW fights have Dooku dominating Anakin, unless Anakin starts channeling into the dark side for his aggressive attacks, which mainly come from hate and anger and pain, which apparently completely overwhelms goading(you have hate you have anger but you do not use them) Dooku . The ROTS powered down by Lucas, he makes pretty short work of Kenobi(which seems like a gag against the character recycling the hanger duel of AOTC) .

Kanan's bout is odd, he seems he basically overcomes fear and doubt and embraces the inner Jedi Knight that was always there, like the only thing that held him back the entire season(or a decade +) was basically just that, his own self doubt and fear that was inside him, and some new fear by facing the Inquisitor who has this scary look and weapon. But once Kanan overcame the weapon, the Inquisitor was a goner - he could not keep up with Kanan's fighting and good side - yet all of that is moot as it was lost when he fought Vader and he basically put up the same fight he did against the Inquisior during the season. Kanan is also supposed to be a TCW Jedi padawan and war combatant going by the Marvel expanded canon universe. Vader they seem to more want protect his icon status, rather than properly give a decent duel which is the opposite of TCW's many duels. Its also unknown why would you give a lightsaber to someone who cant use it yet, Kanan should've had him practicing off duty using a mock sword the entire season before he goes and gets his lightsaber which they could've made it happen during the 2nd season. The Jed temple younglings and Ezra are not the same thing.

Sith apprentices fear the master so thats why they're weaker mainly, they give them power by being in fear and granting them god-like status, once they overcome this, the master loses what gave him power. Sith Masters apparently need an apprentice, as they act like a parasite feeding off a host, the whole symbiotic story. Talzin even said you take away Dooku, you take away what gives Sidious power. In Palpatine's office, he's orgasmic over Anakin's anger in ROTS, so he's clearly feeding off of Anakin.

Yoda's OT teachings are less on swordplay, and more on the inner Force from within and the surrounding Force, all of what you need is basically inside you and all around you. In the EU, some Jedi even went without a lightsaber, so this theme was around. In Season 6, Yoda puts away his lightsaber even, and is ready to sacrifice all. Luke ends up tossing his lightsaber away thus relinquishing all aggression and ready to become one with the Force, not that dissimilar to Obi-Wan allowing himself to be destroyed.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes, this. I also thought this when seeing that TCW episode. This might be the explanation. Maybe they are bred to serve and be disposed of if necessary. Seems unlikely they have free will, as that would be dangerous to the Empire, well dangerous to the ruling two at least.

Would be interesting to see a mad Inquisitor hunted down by the Empire and overwhelmed by superior firepower.

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Eh. I'm curious to know what the Inquisitors know. If I recall, the Tarkin novel seemed to imply that Palpatine being a Sith is not common knowledge. Tarkin put it together, but that suggests that even people high up in the military don't know. In Rebels, we see Vader as the one giving orders. When Ahsoka is discovered by Vader, Palpatine even tells Vader to send two Inquisitors rather than ordering them himself.

The Inquisitors may know that Vader is a Sith, but they probably don't know that Palpatine is. They may not know that there are always two, etc.

It even sounds as though the Inquisitors are moving to compete for the position of Grand Inquisitor now, by trying to impress Vader, not so much Palpatine.

I'm wondering if they have any ambition to be Sith, or if Sith even means anything to them. They seem to want to be second to Vader, without realizing that Vader himself is an apprentice.

11. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    That's a solid theory, in the movie trailer it is Vader that Kylo Ren admires, he might perhaps have thought that Vader was the one true Sith unaware that Palpatine was the master all along.

12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011

That would be a really interesting plot device; the Inquisitorius seeing it as their goal to be the Sith Apprentice to Darth Vader, not realising how futile that ambition would be.

Maybe they see it as some kind of Great Hunt with a big melee looming at the end once all the Jedi have been taken care of, or the Inquisitorius itself is the selection process for Vader's apprentice.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I hope that too.

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I hope they are better, because the Grand Inquisitor wasn't all that impressive once Kanan got his **** together.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    i think they'll be a bigger threat together with two of them. However, I don't see them both being able to take Ahsoka.

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    All that has been said, officially, is Vader and Sidious have kept knowledge from the Inquisitors; deliberately kept weak, in order not to become potential rivals. I'm not sure if Vader trains them himself, but basic observations led to their Force skills being quite lacking (the opposite to Inquisitors in the EU) and the main focus seem to be on combat skills.

17. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

The EU inquisitors were practically full-blow sith in all but name, which never made much sense from a rule of two perspective. (Mara Jade, Desann, Jerec) were all really OP.

Ventress felt a tad OP in TCW and the EU too, however it was justified considering that its implied Dooku planned on overthrowing Palpatine with her. (He planned on doing this with Kenobi in AOTC)

Palpatine became suspicious of Dooku plotting with Ventress and ordered Dooku to terminate her. So Ventress being slightly OP was called out by Palpatine himself in-universe which worked out just fine imo.

That being said, the new-canon inquisitors still feel a tad under-powered.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    As I said, the under-power is deliberately.

19. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    The female Inquisitor is a bit seductive isn't she? A bit like a Ventress? What is her background, as she appears to be more skilled than the other brutish one?

And in addition, should her ability be more in line with Kanan, who is a Jedi Knight trained by the Old Order? Granted he had to flee as a young Padawan, but I always think that Jedi or Sith should be more talented than Inquisitors, who are just basic tools used for minor things by the Emperor and Vader. I.e. they should not be that powerful against truly talented Force users. More like minion Grievouses who are used as tools, rather than people who are strong in the Force. And tools can be disposed of, just as Grievous was.

20. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Fifth Brother seems more powerful in the Force but much, much weaker in lightsaber combat.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  21. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yes very true. Unsure on the seniority of each atm. I thought the Sister (is that what she is called?) was higher in rank and also at first seemed more powerful overall in terms of her lightsaber skills, mind and her seductress like strategizing versus the brutishness of the Fifth Brother.

Personally in terms of uniform, I'm not sure on the Sister's helmet. It's cool that it opens, but I'd rather see her face more often, and when she wears a mask, make it more like a trooper helmet - e.g. Sabine's or Boba Fett. Seems more natural.

MandolorianSoldier likes this.
  22. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    She's called Seventh Sister and I think they're like partners, so no dominance between them. Fifth let's Seventh do all the talking though.

I've got a soft spot for automated helmets, I always thought that stuff was so cool in things like Dead Space.

23. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah I like the automation too! Just wish it looked better, more like a dark trooper helmet or Sabine's one. As in the line down the middle and a design.

MandolorianSoldier likes this.
  24. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Her mask is more like Cobra Commander than any trooper in Star Wars in my opinion, except it isn't shiny and chrome.

Jedi Knight Fett and DarthTalonx like this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    How does she see out of that thing? There's no obvious visor, so I assume that she's really good at navigating while completely blind.

DarthTalonx likes this.