main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't care what Maul said, Savage didn't seem to be following the Sith code at all.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    How so?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    "No need for one of us to be dominant." and doesn't display any hatred.

4. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Not all Jedi followed the Jedi code at all times, yet they are Jedi nonetheless.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    To be fair, he was never taught the Sith Code, so he did not know that there was a need for dominance; but he followed Maul's lead, and Maul followed the Sith Code...and what do you mean Savage didn't display any hatred? He was growling and yelling and roaring almost every time he fought! Sure, I'd say he was redeemed as he died, but before that he was definitely Sith.

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  6. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Maul and Savage went on a brutal rampage throughout the galaxy with Savage ending huge amounts of lives before and after he met Maul, getting angry often, I'm not sure how that doesn't display any hatred.

Zabrak 3 and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    New Avatar, for anyone interested...
    Inquisitorious1.JPG

8. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Is it possible that The Inquisitor is not a Sith in the same way that Luke is "not a Jedi yet" when he meets Vader in ESB?

9. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Inquisitors aren't Sith in any way. They're just Dark Jedi minions.

spicer, Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    To me a Dark Jedi is a Jedi who falls to the dark side. But who knows on the terminology he is a Dark Force User.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh boy, the whole darksider or Sith discussion is never going to end, is it?

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope. LucasFilm is its own worst enemy in that regard. [face_party]

13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    My post was a theory in response to taradosgon's fears in anoher thread.

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The problem was that unless you read the EU - which establishes Sith history going back several thousand years - then there's really nothing on screen to differentiate a Sith from a "Dark Jedi."

We learn that there are only two Sith in TPM, but then we have Asajj, we have Maul re-entering the picture, and we have Savage. All three were apprenticed to a Sith, yet only one was ever considered to be a Sith, and none of them are differentiated from each other as to why Maul is a Sith and the other two are not. Though Ahsoka does call Asajj a Sith at one point.

Yoda says there are only two: a master and an apprentice. But then the apprentice has an apprentice via the loophole that the apprentice's apprentice is not Sith, and it just gets more and more convoluted such that Yoda's words are meaningless. Since even if they destroy the Sith, does that all of a sudden make the Inquisitors or other Dark Jedi any less of a threat?

You have to think that Star Wars is not some property filled with esoteric concepts. It was made to be accessible to kids. Which just makes it odd that you would establish Sith (without defining what one is), saying there are two of them, but then introducing many similar characters that on the surface seem no different because they failed to establish what a Sith is on screen.

It's telling when the hosts of the ForceCast would mention how the Rule of Two had been broken and how there were 5 Sith running around, to which Filoni would have to back track and argue that there were really only 2-3. It's a story telling flaw on Lucas and Filoni's parts if adult Star Wars fans can't tell that there are only two Sith and that the Sith are getting confused with every evil Force user running around with yellow eyes and/or a red saber.

I see the exact same problem occurring with Rebels, until they finally address head on (and not assume that everyone reads the books or comics) what makes a Sith a Sith, why nobody aside from Palpatine and Vader are Sith, and why thus the Rule of Two is upheld despite the apprentice having an apprentice or the master having several non-Sith apprentices, etc.

I would like to think I know more about Star Wars than the average fan. Obviously there are some hardcore fans that put me to shame, but going into a TV show or film, I think I would have most background knowledge of Star Wars than those that know little outside of the films, and yet I can't answer the question satisfactory as to what makes Asajj NOT a Sith, other than "because Dooku and Sidious said so." Anakin became a Sith and the process was as simple as pledging his loyalty to a Sith master, from then on he became Darth Vader. It took two seconds. It did not take years of learning arcane secrets, he didn't know any more than Asajj would have, and Asajj spent more time in the service of a Sith without ever becoming a Sith herself.

It indeed seems as shallow as "you are a Sith because a Sith master said you are." And that Maul was no longer a Sith, not because he forgot his training, but because Palpatine said he was no longer a Sith. It seems like an incredibly hollow title which makes destroying the Sith all the more hollow of a goal.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I think it all comes down to the concept of a "secret society." Sure you may do everything a member of said society does and be just like them, but if you're not inducted by a current member, you're not a member of that secret society. The Sith were a secret society once Bane reformed the order. In order to be a part of that society and be dubbed a "Sith," You must be inducted in by the current Master. You can also be expelled from that secret society by the Master (as was Maul).

So its not about "becoming a Sith" through training, etc. as much as it is being included in the secret society.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I agree with this, though I'm inclined to think that many EU fans are going to be disinclined to agree and argue that someone like Dooku was learning Sith teachings while someone like Asajj was basically just taught how to swing a lightsaber (pre-emptively calling attention to that argument, just because I've seen it before).

I agree that it has been shown (on screen) that the Sith are little more than a secret society, but the long term implications of that are that there is a prophecy merely that a Dark Side secret society will be destroyed, restoring balance to the Force. Which - if the Sith are merely a secret society of Dark Jedi - doesn't really address the root problem of what causes other Jedi/Force users to fall to the Dark Side, or treat these individuals as a threat.

purplerain likes this.
  17. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

The Jedi Order is just too short-sighted, arrogant and self-indulgent to believe that there could actually be Force-users who choose the Dark side on their own rather than being persuaded by the Sith. To them, if you are a force-sensitive, The Jedi Order is the best place to be and I'm sure they naively think, "How could anyone not want to be a part of the Jedi Order?!?! Its the greatest, most revered group of individuals in the Galaxy!" I see a mind-set on their behalf that the only reason there are dark-siders at all is because the Sith recruit and corrupt them. They don't understand how there can be force-sensitive individuals in the galaxy whom the Jedi Order doesn't know of :eek: (as evidenced by the Holocron Heist arc). So they don't see how they can miss the Sith (who they can't even imagine returning without the "omniscient Jedi" knowing:eek::eek: ) recruiting Darth Maul - hence their "flabbergastation" When Maul appears in TPM.:eek::eek::eek:

I feel like the only (Film/TCW) Jedi acknowledgment of dark-siders who aren't Sith or influenced towards the dark side by Sith is the Dathomirians (Nightsisters/Nightbrothers). Which - I almost get the sense that they don't even consider them "force-users." Its like they see them as these misguided tribal witch people who don't understand the subtleties of the Force.

The Jedi are blinded by their noses that are up in the air covering their line of sight.

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^The only Jedi that I think fits that description would be Jocasta Nu..

19. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I think she's the most blatant example of it in the films, but I still see it being a prominent attitude throughout the Jedi Order based on how the Council reacted to Darth Maul in TPM "Pshh! The Sith have been extinct for a millenium!" "I do not believe the Sith could have returned without US knowing!" And just the discussion of the Prophecy of the Chosen One and how the "Sith" are viewed to the Jedi all suggest that they feel entitled to be the only "true force-users" in the galaxy. Plus TCW depiction of the Kyber Crystal and the idea that if they're a force-sensitive born in the Republic, the Jedi obviously must know about them. I just see all throughout TCW and the PT and even the OT this idea that the Jedi felt that they were the only true form of justice, peace, knowledge in the galaxy. Jocastu Nu definitely shows this attitude/mentality very strongly in AOTC, but I think if you just like at TCW and the films, its pretty clear that most people in the Jedi Order - and the silent, yet endorsed mentality of the Order/Council is that of being stuck up.

20. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Not really..

21. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    To each his/her own, IMO, everything I see concerning the JO makes me feel like they are stuck up and too Orthodox. Its just the impression that I get and what I said above is why I think I get that impression - but obviously, it still boils down to each viewer's own impression.

Darth_Pevra and purplerain like this.
  22. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Nothing ever shows that they think they're the ultimate/only Force-users in the galaxy, or that they had to know about any Force-sensitive child out there. Recognizing that they're the largest and most powerful group of Force-users in the galaxy isn't being stuck up imo. Some Jedi showed overconfidence. That doesn't define the whole Order.

Opinions..

Though speaking of other Force-users, I think it could be a cool idea if the Inquisitor was something different than Jedi or Sith, or Dathomir.. thing.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you think of him being a Seyugi Dervish?

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    They police the entire galaxy on behalf of the republic. That alone would suggest that they do think of themselves as the most important force group and having "the right" to control the population. The Jedi not only hold the most power, they also know about it.

And power corrupts.

25. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I think an EU fan would be more likely to tell you that it's really sort of both. The Sith *are* a secret society, or a culture, or a religion, philosophy, etc, whatever. That's what separates them from the Nightsisters, the Sorcerers of Rhand, Prophets of the Dark Side, or any random darksider out there, not to mention Jedi. But the thing with the Sith is that they've been around for so long that they pretty much distilled some of the most effective ways to use the dark side and pretty much wrote the book on how to be the best kind of bad guy. So when you get in on the whole secret society, then you get access to these techniques and stuff like Sith sorcery and alchemy and mind domination. Ventress can be dark and learn whatever she picks up on, and maybe she'll even stumble into the same ideas or powers as a Sith just by experimenting and ****. But if she got taken into the fold, made a legit Sith apprentice, then she'd be getting the book on Sith philosophy and training for all these more upper level abilities.

He's a confirmed Pau'an, not Seyugi, and aren't the Dervishes supposed be a cultural sect anyway? I mean, if he's a Pau'an Inquisitor working for Palpatine, he's not going to be a Dervish anymore than a Jedi is going to *also* be a Sith. It's kinda one or the other.