main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I like the Inquisitor not sure if i could take it if I had to watch Vader get turned into Grievous (ie an incompetent coward).

2. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    That's probably why they created The Inquisitor.

3. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Honestly if the Force User in question was not a former Jedi Master then Vader should probably not be leaving his office for that. Delegate that crap to lesser darksiders.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I meant that he was a former dervish just like how many inquisitors in the EU are former jedi and to show all I know about the Seyugi Dervishes I will quote myself –
    Also the Seyugi Dervish character we get in CatCW is a human.
    If you have more information, and by the sound of it you have, on the Dervishes feel free to share it on the Beyond the big two: lesser Force traditions in the GFFA thread

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

My argument is that this needs to be articulated on screen, not left in the books and novels. The books and novels by all means can expand on information that the movies give, but the movies and TV shows have not touched the matter of what a Sith is at all, beyond merely that they are a group of Dark Siders never numbering more than two that once conquered the galaxy and that want revenge on the Jedi.

We are never given any kind of history, let alone told or shown things like these "upper level abilities." The only Force power that the Sith are shown to have on screen that the Jedi do not, is Force lightning, and 1/2 of the Sith never use it (Vader and Maul), so it's hard to assert based on on-screen evidence that this is some upper tier power that the Sith know and any other Dark Sider would be handicapped from discovering on their own.

We learn the bare minimum:

- Sith want revenge (per Maul)

- ALWAYS two there are (no indication that they ever were a civilization as in the EU, granted Lucas supports the latter in behind the scenes commentary, but this is never suggested on screen, nor how Yoda would know of the Rule of Two unless it had been in practice before the last of the Sith were believed to be extinct). These questions are tackled in the EU, but nobody watching the films alone is going to arrive at these conclusions.

-No mention as to how the Sith came to be or any mention that the Sith Order was founded by ex-Jedi that settled another planet. So no indication of that common history.

-Dooku takes on two apprentices, the first of which Sidious knew of and was OK with for a time. No mention as to why this isn't a violation of the Rule of Two. Some like to hide behind the excuse that she's merely an "assassin" which does not preclude the possibility that she can still be a "Sith Assassin" a term that even exists in the EU. Complicated by the fact that Ahsoka does call her a Sith at least one time. Dooku's second apprentice he seems more intent on making a Sith and tells him that he will one day become as powerful as Darth Maul. Savage has all the makings of a Sith, or at least just as much as Anakin did at the time he pledged loyalty to the Sith, if not more so, but the latter is Sith and the first one is not (according to Filoni behind the scenes, on screen Maul refers to both himself and Savage as Sith).

My point is that what's on screen is misleading, because you are given information that unless you listen to the commentaries or read the novels/comics or play the games you are not going to know is inaccurate. So some people get irritated when Asajj or Savage or the Inquisitor are said to be Sith and act like it's inexcusable for people to arrive at that conclusion. When I would argue, if you are going solely by the films and TCW it's actually very, very easy to come to think of Asajj, Savage and the Inquisitor as being Sith - especially when in the case of Asajj and Savage you have characters on screen referring to them as such. Someone that has zero knowledge of the EU would have no reason to question that.

Someone that is well versed in the EU can come along and explain what's what, but it just seems wrong that important information like that be left for only that segment of the fandom.

I think they either need to finally address these things on screen. Otherwise I foresee this problem continuing endlessly that the small kids and fans that don't know of the EU are just going to see the Inquisitor as being really no different than Vader. Or they need to retcon the Rule of Two away and just say "yep, they're all Sith, why not?"

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I disagree.

Don't know what that is..

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Star Wars fan would storm Disneyland and crucify Mickey Mouse upside down if that ever happened.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I wonder if this guy will be a villain throughout the series, or more of a temporary villain that will be killed in a Season or 2.

And Inquisitor is someone that sought out heresy for the Catholic Church and snuffed it out. Knowing nothing about the Inquisitors of Star Wars, I can only guess that they are primarily used to hunt down and snuff out Jedi - plus it doesn't hurt that the character's introductory info stated this outright.

So, he's a subordinate of Vader, given the mandate to hunt down the remaining Jedi by Palpatine, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for Vader as anything but a background character. And I would think that Vader would HAVE to get involved eventually, or else it would just be a huge missed opportunity of the show. And if Vader is getting involved personally, I would think that means the Inquisitor failed Vader for the last time and was killed.

So I'm kind of wondering if this particular Inquisitor will just be kind of the lower tier threat introduced earlier on that will eventually be killed off, forcing Vader to step in, or another Inquisitor.

11. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Probably be a Dooku/Ventress type thing. Vader shows up on holo and gives orders here and there. Isn't there usually more then one inquisitor though?
    If not then im guessing he'll survive a lot longer then 2 seasons. I just hope they don't make him survive and skip the OT and be some major baddie in ST

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader will also get involved if the stakes are high. If the holocrone the kids robbed could screw over some grand plan of Palpatine and his. Or if they somehow got extremely valuable intel on a construction platform on Kuat. Something like that. It doesn't even have to be the Inquisitor who screws up.

13. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Vader needs to show up giving orders occasionally but you dont want him to show up and constantly get outsmarted by some teenage brats. Additionally, if he does show up in front of our protags he needs be a terrifying force who is effective. Or in other words you Micro Series Grievous not Clone Wars Grievous. One shows up strikes fear into the heart of his foes and is cutting down jedi with ease. the other cannot beat ashoka and always fails.

14. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    No, I don't want Vader getting outsmarted constantly by teenage brats, but nor do I want that for the Inquisitor. Not looking forward to ESB stretched into multiple seasons where the heroes are just on the run, get caught or almost get caught, escape, rinse and repeat.

TCW had the benefit of jumping around and following different characters in different battles or with different problems. So Dooku could come and go depending on the story, same with Cad Bane or Grievous. But with Rebels, it seems more like they are going to focus on this core group of characters, and while some of them may be expendable, I'd imagine more of them have to survive, so I'm not keen on the idea of the Inquisitor being Wile E. Coyote and failing to catch these kids week after week after week with a slap on the wrist from holo Vader.

I'd hope they give these characters weight. That if there is to be more than one Force using good guy, that the Inquisitor succeeds and kills at least one of them, and that eventually the Inquisitor himself is killed either by the heroes or by Vader for his constant failure (I don't see how he can't fail constantly) and that Vader himself will either enter come and go in getting his hands dirty or that the Inquisitor will be replaced by another Inquisitor and so on.

EHT and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think it is more like Firefly. The crew has to deal with different enemies and occasionally has run-ins with the Empire and Inquisitor, who is not tasked with actively hunting them down. Makes more sense than like you said "Empire stretched out to be a tv-series".

The show is also apparently modeled after ANH. ANH wasn't just fleeing from the Empire the entire time, it was one entire adventure that ended with a big bang. Rebels could be a string of such adventures like

Rescuing slaves from a hutt
    Sabotaging an imperial weapon plant
    Dealing with a pirate who makes space travel around Lothal unsafe
    And so on and so on. At times the Empire and the rebels crew might even be reluctant allies.

One question is who supports the kids? How do they earn money? Maybe they receive funding by someone like Bail Organa. But it's also possible that they are simply freelancers (of course only accepting morally sound jobs).

And one other thing: Why would Vader care about some teenage Jedi brats? He has bigger fish to fry imo. Not every Jedi is automatically a threat to the Empire, especially when the Empire itself also employs force warriors.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Make the Inquisitor an alien is a bad idea, in my opinion. The Empire needs to be shown as a humans only club at this point.

17. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm kind of thinking the Inquisitor's going to be sort of taking up the Sportsmaster/Deathstroke role from Young Justice, being a recurring villain in an ensemble villain cast and the bad guys' top enforcer. Effective and efficient, succeeding in his mission and "fails" only by the heroes retreating before they get killed, or once in a while gets beaten by a tiny margin for a good guy victory.

Gamiel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  18. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    True but Sportsmaster was pretty much always effective because his missions were not related to killing the protags. If Inquisitor is hunting the protags directly or trying to get a holocron off them that is different

Mia Mesharad and Contessa like this.
  19. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    The whole hunter-hunted dynamic does kind of shake things up, but I'm just sort of talking the overall vibe and how he'd fit in a situation where you've got Vader and Palps above him, all these other potential villains alongside him, and his credibility being tested every time he appears against plot shielded heroes.

Iron_lord and Mia Mesharad like this.
  20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh true besides it should take him a while to catch up but yeah they should mix it up everything being connected to Inquisitor directly.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I just can't see the Inquisitor catching the heroes and them getting away all the time. Seems very un-Vader like for Vader to allow that to happen without ultimately killing the Inquisitor for his failure.

And the show is going to have to evolve. The first season might be the Ghost on the run for the most part, but unless they only intend this show to last for a season or two, I'm guessing they'll have to lay the groundwork for the Rebellion and have the Rebels going on the offensive at times and switch things up. The format of the OT worked for three feature length films but each season of this show is going to have just as much screen time as the OT films did combined, and I just don't see the appeal of the Ghost running from the Empire for 5 seasons, as the Millennium Falcon did for much of ANH and ESB.

Which is why I'm curious as to whether this particular Inquisitor might just be a Season 1 villain. Someone tasked with catching the ghost and killing the would-be Jedi aboard, only to fail and die by the end of the Season, with Vader appointing a replacement or getting involved directly in Season 2 or 3 as the Rebels begin to organize and become a more serious threat.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think they'll make it so that the series can theoretically run forever. They don't need to rush into the "rebel alliance formation" theme. They have like six in universe years before they have to deal with that.

23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder who the Inquisitor will recieve orders from. Vader? Pestage? Peculiar Hat?

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I have less optimism for the longevity of Rebels than I did TCW. TCW was Lucas' pet project that he made not only for fans, but because he enjoyed making it and playing around in the Star Wars universe. And at one point TCW seemed posed to go on indefinitely for as long as it was successful.

Once Disney came in, they promptly cancelled it to move onto something else. And seeing what they did with Marvel's animated properties to tie them more into the cinematic universe, I'm guessing we will get at least a few years of Rebels before they move onto something else more relevant to the cinematic properties of that time. The lifespan of alot of the DC and Marvel cartoons isn't very long, even when they are critical successes - like Green Lantern.

Filoni even remarked that it was unexpected for TCW to go on as long as it did, which I feel it owed to not only its audience, but also because Lucas was backing it. And with Disney backing Rebels, I see them looking at things more from the practical sense of what fits Disney's marketing image at any given time, more so than continuing to make it because it's fun, as Lucas seemed to do. And at the moment, Disney seems to be pushing the idea that it's returning to form by looking more to the OT for inspiration in Rebels and the ST, so Rebels fits in the current image of what Disney wants for Star Wars now, which might not be the case 3-4 years from now.

I don't think Rebels can really afford to procrastinate with the expectation that it will go on indefinitely (look where that got TCW). I figure the show will at least have 3 or 4 seasons, and I think by then they really need to have concepts like the Rebel Alliance forming off the ground.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The difference this time around - and the difference is ginormous imo - is that rebels will be aired at the same time as new star wars movies!!!! If the movies take off, the hype around them will be gigantic and all the new fans would likely flock to rebels. Additionally, rebels is set in the OT era so even old farts like me have reason to watch.

If the quality is there, Star Wars rebels will exist for a looong time.