main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Problem with the storyline is they had over 15 years to recruit new Inquisitors as this was a major pet project of Sidious's. For it to completely vanish is not likely unless someone was hunting the hunters for the past decade. Also around the time of ROTS Sidious encourages another similar pet project by Cylo to create cyborg warriors which if strong enough could somehow serve as a replacement for Vader despite not even being Force sensitive. But according to Sidous everything was of the Force anyway. Even if there is no more Dark Jedi Imperial agents, we shoud've seen more Grievous-like warriors. We do have Kreel but he's some kinda unique trooper and is allowed a Jedi's weapon but he's not part of Sidious' programs, just a special forces soldier.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Could Maul have been hunting the Inquisitors?

3. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Personally, I´m not all for that theory. Maul had the ability of defeating the Inquisitors, sure, but the Inquisitorius isn´t a 50 or 100 members organization, like in Legends. There are 10 that we know of, perhaps a little more. Besides the fact that hunting down someone through the galaxy takes an enormous amount of time (Maul is a very capable tracker, but he doesn´t have a single contact, reference, or context to even begin to know where to look) in my opinion Maul was very smart NOT to attract attention to himself during this period.

The Inquisitors hardly seem to have a match during the Dark Times. The ones that can defeat them (Yoda, Obi-Wan, Maul, Ahsoka) mostly keep to themselves, biding their time. I would find very strange that people as acute as the Emperor, Vader and the Grand Inquisitor could see a constant pattern of "Inquisitor 1 goes to kidnap a child, ends up dying; Inquisitor 2 goes to hunt an untrained former youngling, ends up dying", etc, and never figure out that something is going on, and act accordingly.

The comic has presented the Inquisitorius as not disposable at all. Palpatine cares about this project as something of a personal vision from years earlier. Personally, I think Maul only face them when he had no choice, or when he had something very important to gain (information) and I think he even avoided fighting them, showing up a new kind of maturity in the character: playing the long game all along...

Jarrus and kalzeth like this.
  4. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Good point.

5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Maul might not have been actively hunting the Inquisitors, but the Inquisitors have been hunting him, and he seems to be a boogeyman of sorts to them- Eighth Brother nicknamed him "The Shadow"

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    BigAl6ft6, Gudenruben2 and cwustudent like this.
  6. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Clearly NOT scared enough!

7. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    well, they're probably more afraid of Darth Father and Ol' Sheevy.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    PCCViking likes this.
  8. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Who doesn't fear the Senate ?

9. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I think, at this point, most of them didn´t even believe him alive anymore. After all, there was no indication of Maul existence for years and years. My guess is, either Maul was some sort of obsession for the Eighth Brother, or finding him was the best chance he had to impress Vader, with the Seventh Sister already hunting down Ahsoka, and the Fifth Brother (and perhaps others) after the ones that defeated the Grand Inquisitor...

Jedi Knight Fett and Jarrus like this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Problem I think as that earlier on in the Season Two, the 7th Sister tells Ezra that there is " many hunting them" and later on from 8th Bro we hear something like , " more than enough". I hardly doubt the former said by the 7th Sis meant aside from herself and 5th Bro, that all that was left was the 8th Bro. Maybe she was lying but I don't think at that point there was a reason. Then even Ahsoka said something like "they'll all be coming now".

We know the 8th Bro was not powerful, none of them were, Maul could've killed that idiot anytime he desired. I think he kept him around for fun and to await the Jedi.

As for the 8th Bro, I think simply he stumbled upon an elusive shadowy figure that turned out to be Darth Maul while awaiting the Jedi since we heard from Vader that Sidious(and his precogs?) suspected that the Jedi were going to Malachor. Thats why all the Inquisitors were around and Vader not that far off once confirmation was a go and they were softened up. Interestingly Maul was the only one that sensed Vader, while Vader had no clue about Maul and not even Ahsoka sensed Vader's arrival. Maul was simply chilling and waiting around for Ezra to drop through the ceiling on cue. In order get the holocron, its set up for two but its apparent that Maul knew his way around the thing. I get more the sence Maul was guarding the holocron and he seemed like Red Skull guarding the Soul Stone.

Apparently he needed the other Jedi spares around and the Inquisitors apparently for entertainment and sport. Maul does succeed in making those Jedi do what they came there to do, fight. And he kept bailing them out've trouble. The writing and and execution of that finale was overall bad. Maul is just playing an evilish version of Yoda and there to just build some sort of development for Ezra that never went anywhere anyway at the hand of the storytellers. I don't think the writers and director really knew what they were doing on this show, either that or they didnt care enough as far as quality as maybe they were too lazy and had job security. Such an underwhelming and schizophrenic produced show imo.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Yeah, this notion that the three Inquisitors we saw in Season 2 were the very last of them (IMO) has no basis in fact. The writers just felt that they could move beyond them in Seasons 3 and 4.

The Eighth Brother was on Malachor just following a lead, I suppose. Since there were many Inquisitors scouring the Galaxy I don't think it's unreasonable for one to be in the right place at the right time. However, I disagree that Maul could take on the Inquisitors on his own. He needed Ezra and the Jedi for more than getting the Holocron.

Jarrus, kalzeth and Ithorians like this.
  12. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    The Inquisitors were Jedi Knights once. They aren't the toughest on their own, but I think all 3 of them might have been able to take Maul. Or Ahsoka.

Maul anticipated that he'd have to face Vader, that's probably why he believed he needed the Jedi. I think Maul, Ahsoka, Kanan and Ezra together would've been able to defeat Vader. But not Maul on his own.

13. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I think the Inquisitors were powerful (look at them against the Calamari!), so in the context Maul said it, he was speaking the truth: the Eighth Brother was more than enough rival for Ezra; he just wasn´t up to facing Maul. Then again, for me, Maul didn´t rush to face him simply because he was afraid of Vader knowing his location (something that either a living or a death Inquisitor would tell him, at this point).

Maul´s chance was to use the temple weapon against Vader when he came for him, but it had to be the right time, with the holocron in his hands and a clear path to the top of the Temple. Since he couldn´t deal with the Inquisitors right away, it became a race between he and his "partners" to get to the top of the Temple, and the Inquisitors, to stall them and get Vader the Holocron before he arrived...

Oh, and I imagine Vader was very clear that Maul was around. I doubt that the Inquisitors would have held that information from him. He simply wasn´t his priority.

Jedi Knight Fett, kalzeth and Jarrus like this.
  14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul said he was playing the "end game", which did not sound like he desired to make it out've there alive, it was his final solution. Its more likely he wanted to die along with all his enemies in the weapon's blast per his initial plan. Only when he focus on Ezra does he change his plans and he finds some new purpose in training Ezra and remaining around.

The Inquisitors were shocked to see Maul, why would they be shocked if somehow Vader or the Emperor knew he was there let alone alive. Makes no sense. And neither Vader nor Sidious suspected Maul's presence. Vader clearly did not know about Maul during those events:

DARTH VADER: You[Ezra} have unlocked the secret of the Temple.
    How did you accomplish this?

DARTH VADER: No matter.
    The power within will soon serve the Emperor.

In fact the only one for certain that was foretold in being there was Ahsoka Tano:

DARTH VADER: It was foretold that you would be here.

The temple weapon was meant to destroy all life in the galaxy, it was a galaxy wide doomsday device that priory destroyed both Jedi and the Sith alike when it was unleashed, no one "won". It was not meant for a single person or persons just to take them out, its a last ditch extinction device.

When Maul says, " destroy all my enemies" its clear that Maul wanted to destroy the Empire and the Sith along with the Jedi and just about everyone else . When he said the "the power will be mine" its a direct inference in denying its power to the Emperor who also wanted that weapon and whatever secrets that Holocron possessed. Maul beat him to it, Sidious was denied both. Maul only settled on Ezra when he chose to lift him up along with the Holocron, from only then on at that point Maul's main focus was on Ezra and playign along with the Jedi for Ezra's sake,

PRESENCE: The power to destroy life is at your command.

EZRA: What? No! No, no! That's not what I wanted!

PRESENCE: Then perhaps the "other" who approaches will claim it instead.

EZRA: Maul.

EZRA: Kanan, Ahsoka, Maul tricked us! This temple's a weapon! (BREATHING COARSELY.

Maul easily beats all the Inquisitors in skill, agility and speed and later just lifts one up and holds her there for a lengthy period, and easily beat back the 8th Brother and Force pushed him off the pyramid. If he if he wanted to kill them he would've easily killed them with his Force power alone, was not like they even displayed Force skills during that episode and their whole thing was flying away on sabercopters.

Someone of Maul's caliber should never have been in such a juvenile awkward produced cartoon filled with protected asset heroes. Least Marvel had gotten him right when Rebels did not. He's an unstoppable killing machine where dropping a mountain on him does not phase him. There was never any chance for any Jedi that faced him from a powerful Jedi padawan Eldra Kaitis to Master Jinn to even padawan Kenobi to whom he defeated initially in TPM but again during TCW when he was a Master. Maul and Savage made quck work of Jedi on TCW whenever they showed some doing up against them. Say what you want about Savage, but unlike The Grand Inquisitor in Season One atleast he was actually shown dueling and killing Jedi knights. On this show Inquisitors were just disposable all show and no substance stock character assets. Marvel tries to do something with them, but the manner in which Ahsoka killed the 6th Bro in the novel and the manner in which Maul killed the 7th Sis, make no mistake these Inquisitors are far far below Maul.

The Shadow Emperor and kalzeth like this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    Maul's power level is a bit tricky. Son of Dathomir implies a portion of his strength stemmed from Mother Talzin's magik, and that he lost that when she died. One thing he certainly had was experience. He has fought a lot and he has failed A LOT. The Inquisitors are stooge greenhorns compared to him. They hunted children and has-beens. They only hunted Jedi when they were accompanied by Vader. Kanan, a padawan, was able to best the Grand Inquisitor after escaping him several times. If that's not saying anything about his skills being mediocre I dont know what does.
    Maul, on the other hand, was a true Sith - even if he claimed to no longer be one. He had ambition - he craved power. That's what drove him. The Inquisitors didn't have this quality, or at least have yet to be depicted having it. Even in the end, Maul was pursuing ownership over a new ally in Ezra. Ownership, not true friendship/alliance. The Inquisitors did what they were told. They were able to use the Dark Side, but not to the extent of the true sith.

16. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    Well, for me the Inquisitors where surprised to see Maul indeed, but my point was, since it was certainly shocking information, they probably notified Vader accordingly (Maul himself said as much). Maul was such old news by that time, that they didn´t care about him unless he had control of the temple. In fact, Maul did escape Malachor, and yet he couldn´t hurt the Empire in any meaningful way. Sidious and Vader were right all along: there was no threat there.

And Savage, well, he´s a curious case indeed. He was an unstoppable killing machine too, one that the whole galaxy was meant to be afraid of... until he stopped being promoted that way. When it was time to actually put him in a storyline, he lost in seconds to Maul, lost an arm in a 2vs1fight with Kenobi, and was soundly defeated by Sidious.

Because of it, I dare say, Savage became a more interesting character, than this unstoppable monster blabla, that will eventually be defeated anyway, because he´s nowhere to be seen in the OT. In that light, at least the Inquisitors were presented in a consistent matter. There was no Galen Marek unlimited power with them: they are within the expected parameters of someone that hunts and kills Jedi and is not a threat to the Sith. Nothing more... nothing less, either.

17. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but it's possible the total group of Inquisitors at heir peak totals 12 disciples of the Sith. This has a basis in literary, mythological and religious text which Star Wars has taken inspiration from in the past.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Possible. Twelve members of the Jedi Council, so twelve members of the Inquisitorious would be a nice dark mirror of that.

podjazd, cwustudent, MrDarth0 and 4 others like this.
  19. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, given new information, wouldn't we assume that (Solo spoilers)
    a pretty good chunk of the Inquisitors' dark times existence was devoted to taking on Maul in his circa-SOLO crime lord years? And that in the end they and/or Vader did a pretty good job of it, leading to lonely-and-resourceless Maul on Malachor for a few years towards the end (as well as, most likely, a thinning of the Inquisitors' ranks on the other side).

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
    podjazd likes this.
  20. podjazd

podjazd Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2013
    Well, Matt Martin suggested that we'll see Inquisitors 1-4 some day.

revan772, BigAl6ft6, Jarrus and 2 others like this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    So...we need to expect more of the Imperial Inquisition? :p

22. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    [face_laugh]
    Those are very exciting news!! After that cameo in Solo, I couldn´t stop thinking about the possibilities it brings for storylines involving these fellows, and Vader of course. Doesn´t mean it will happen, of course, but it´s a very interesting perspective nonetheless!

kalzeth, podjazd and Jarrus like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Maul has to take one out. He's rocking an Inquistor lightsaber after all. He liked it so much he stashed the darksaber on a shelf in Malachor.

kalzeth likes this.
  24. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    The preview for the new issue of the Darth Vader comic is portraying the chronologically first (known) casualty of the Inquisitorius!!

Basically,
    Barr´s trick worked after all, after the clones gunned down the Tenth Brother at point blank. Cliffhanger for the Ninth Sister and first exciting showing in the comic for the Sixth Brother!

Can´t wait for the whole issue!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Jarrus and kalzeth like this.
  25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I saw the preview:

Kinda weird that Tenth Bro would be killed so easily by Clones who never seemed particular good at killing Kenobi or Yoda, so why would 3 Inquisitors(with basically 6 light sabers combined) have much trouble with a small amount of clones?! They are all experienced warriors, especially we know some back history for 10th Bro. The 6th Bro betrays the 9th Sis by cutting her lower leg off to keep the Clones occupied for a while while he makes his get a way, and get the prize himself in killing the Jedi and the spare.

The Sith and their infected just seem destined for killing themselves off, if someone else does do the job first.

I really wish they would've done something more intelligent and interesting such as actually making Ezra legitimately Maul's apprentice. I liked how he cared for and trained Savage, it pushed something forward that was unusual for Dark Siders, until they just off their characters in typical fashion. It was true apprentice stuff, one of friendship and brotherhood. That was a story worth telling and following there.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    kalzeth and PCCViking like this.