main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    The female inquisitor still looks like Barriss to me. I wonder if we'll get more information on both Inquisitors before the second season starts airing.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    So far these Inquisitors seem to be non-humans which is opposite of the humancentric Imperial military as a whole - so either the writers think aliens make better villains, visually even - or the humans arent on average as strong in the Force or the Empire prefers to use non-humans in such capacity as they're slaves and expendable assets and even perhaps still stronger psychically and Force-wise than humans and perhaps other species as well. So some degree of selection is taking place.

PCCViking likes this.
  3. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Also, the Grand Vizier is alien. Maybe the Empire in the new canon is only selectively xenophobic, or they have specific reasons why they choose certain aliens to enslave.

rumsmuggler and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or Sheev/Vader/Tarkin don't actually give a crap about what species you are so long as you can get the job done. They may tolerate/encourage general xenophobia for the purposes of maintaining control, but that doesn't mean that they're above using non-humans. Heck even back in ESB Vader was hiring clearly alien Bounty Hunters to go after the Millennium Falcon.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

As I said a while ago, the new canon Empire may be more of an "equal opportunity oppressor." We see more female Imperial officials (stormtroopers, captains and Moffs), and now more alien Inquisitors and an alien Grand Vizier.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, I would imagine so, although even in the EU there was some selective process often based on the merits of specific individuals and their talents or war time shortages of manpower, and possibly those willing the serve the Empire freely would not be so easily turned away as they'd need them, least for the time being . Or some other massive threat is forcing them to unite, often many countries sent foreign soldiers to fight under Nazi Germany, under its banner, cause they were staunch anti-Communists not that they wholly believed in the Nazi Party cause, although many would've been Nationalists and Fascists. Or some people are just committed to specific ideology or are just insane. On side note, but very important fact not many people are aware today due to indoctrinations, the thing even about such regimes, not everything is black and white as we would like to believe in today's world. Nazi Germany used Foreign legions, and they also recruited Black Africans into their military which the the Empire does recruit minorities and even non-humans. Ernest Rohm and many SA Nazi Brown Shirts were openly homosexuals -"Historian Louis Snyder explains, Rohm "projected a social order in which homosexuality would be regarded as a human behavior pattern of high repute... He flaunted his homosexuality in public and insisted his cronies do the same. He believed straight people weren't as adept at bullying and aggression as homosexuals, so homosexuality was given a high premium in the SA."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-strange-strange-story_b_136697.html

*Even African Americans were recruited into the Confederate army in some capacity, whether they were already free fighting for their state or would be granted their freedom, although most served in hospitals rather than the front lines but had the war extended longer, things could've changed as they were planning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milit...he_American_Civil_War#Confederate_States_Army

7. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    It definitely looks like Barriss (she's clearly a Mirialan), but some things suggest against it, such as her having scars instead of tattoos.

Or are those scars from the tattoo removal (yes, that actually is a thing in real life)? And would this be part of my theory of Inquisitors being brainwashed early on and having their old identities erased, including the loss of their names?

And now a question not talked of much? Could the male Inquisitor be someone we already know drastically altered?

And is Filoni deliberately revealing this information early to tease us and feeding on our mass speculation?

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The tattoos( or scarring), do not align with Barriss's and her eyes are completely different. Plus I don't think Barriss would've went to all that trouble to remove her tattoos, even if the excuse is used she wanted to remove her identity and be just known as Inquisitor #2 or 3, its not really important as nether Ventress, Opress or even Vos bothered to change their look or names. And Dooku kept his name and normal look. Ventress's tattoos do not appear to aligned with the Sith but rather Nightsisters, was not like she was ordered to remove them by Dooku. Just something to do about her shaved head had to do with her allegiance to the Sith. Even the male Inquisitor looks to sport some sorta facial scarring pattern, and greenish skin as well(but his case it could just be his species normal skin pattern ). The first Inquisitor did sport tattoos but his species still sports them as part've their culture - the pattern though looked very Sith-like from the EU however or TFU or Mortis Son.

9. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    I never said she would have chosen to remove her identity. The Empire could have forced it on her. And let's not forget that the Inquisitors aren't really Sith, but mere Dark Side-corrupted agents, so Sheev and Vader may exempt them from some Sith traditions (such as why the rotor-sabers seem to be standard-issue for Inquisitors in spite of skill level with a lightsaber).

But now that you mention the lack of scarring on the noseline, that is indeed another thing point against her (unless they tried to cover up the scars with makeup, albeit very shoddily since some of the scarring is still clearly visible). Still, Filoni is up to something if first, she's revealed in the trailer wearing a mask, but then he starts casually revealing concept art and official character art revealing her face before her debut appearance in the series. It might not really be Barriss at all, or this might be a strategy to make us think her similar appearance is a coincidence (let's not forget that little discussion about red herrings on "Vision of Hope" Rebels Recon), and Filoni's merely trolling.

10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    If it is Barriss...then I weep for the the future of Rebels, The EU, and Star Wars in general.

Dave has taken so much from the canon: Luminara, The Mandorlians, Maul, the list goes on.

I had hoped it was just mind control by Sheev in The Wrong Jedi arc, but with the DD mention and now this. I know the Jedi Healer is gone. By Filoni.

I hope not, but you can't change the past anymore than the future.

11. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    I concur that it is Bariss. I don't feel that Filoni's trolling, it seems to me that from the amount of behind the scenes vids for TCW and Rebels that he appreciates the fans. Undoubtedly he knows that its a long break from June 20th to whenever in September and wants to engage the fans.

So, the question is did the Empire remove her scars or did she do it herself?

At the end of TCW, even after she has turned from the Jedi Order we see her still praying at a shrine and the shot is framed to include the diamond pattern.

This leads one to think that the tattoos were removed by the Empire as part of brainwashing or the "the slave conditioning procedure" referenced in Children of the Force.

Alternatively (and perhaps more interestingly), Bariss removed the tattoos herself, leaving her face scarred as a rejection of her identity, religion, and culture. Maybe she embraced the Empire because it ended the war and brought order to the galaxy. Or perhaps she has turned completely to the dark side, just like somebody else with a penchant for self-inflicted facial scars......

[​IMG]

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    As for people saying the eyes are different? Remember how Anakin's eyes looked in the Mortis arc when the Son got to him?

[​IMG]

Far cry from this:

[​IMG]

13. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Karl0413

But Anakin's sclera didn't turn black.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Bingo. Only his iris changed color in both TCW and ROTS.

15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    IMHO it is Bariss.

podjazd and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Digladio

Digladio Jedi Master star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    I think it's still most likely Barriss, albeit an utterly broken and brainwashed Barriss. It makes sense that she would remove the old tattoos (which were associated with her previous identity and traditional for her race) in favor of those more sinister new ones.

17. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Filoni must've then had Killian inject black ink into her eye balls and took an eraser to her face and slapped on an Imperialized Nightsister-like helmet on her to further troll Ventress.[face_whistling]

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Also, as I said in another thread, I think the male Inquisitor is a cyborg.

19. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    They all had red lights on them of uncertain function. The new male looks reptilian or amphibian, doesnt appear to be a Kage afterall.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't tell David Icke...

[​IMG]

Danifae, rumsmuggler and Vorax like this.
  21. Rou-eru

Rou-eru Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2013
    I think the designs are too similar for it not to be Bariss.

podjazd likes this.
  22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, it *has* to be her.

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It's probably her, I mean just look at Ahsoka's redesign.

Pretty drastic as far as tattoos and Lekku patterns go.

24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    darskpine10

If it is her then she had her tattoo's removed. And if Barriss did get them removed then she is most likely trying to distance herself from who she used to be. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't respond to Barriss at all now, but had some new name.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know.

I initially was resistant to the idea of it being Barriss because even the concept art to me didn't look like her. People were too hung up on green skin and ignored the lack of tattoos.

Filoni was then asked something about Barriss and Ahsoka ever meeting again and he did one of those coy "oh gee.... wouldn't that be something!" kind of responses where he seemed to strongly imply that it was going to happen in some form (whether or not in Rebels, I don't know).

So then I assumed people were right and that it was Barriss.

However, those clearly are not scars/tattoo removal. She has the same pattern on her chin, and the orange markings extend up and around her eyes (where Barriss never had tattoos). They are either skin markings/tattoos/body paint. They are not scars. Now it could be established that she removed her old patterns and got new ones, but that doesn't change the fact that her eyes are asiatic like Sabine's

[​IMG]

The female Inquisitor - like Sabine - has a "monolid" (no crease between her eyes and eyebrow)

[​IMG]

Unlike Barriss who has a distinct crease in her eyelid between her eyes and eyebrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Inquisitor has some similarities to Barriss, in so far as having a similar skin color and being female. She would even look Mirialan if it weren't for the black sclera. However, the eye structure itself also looks different, and she looks Asian IMO.

[​IMG]

As far as xenophobia, I don't see any. There's yet to really be a case of anyone discriminating against anyone else for being an alien, and 3/3 Inquisitors, that rank higher than people like Kallus, are aliens. Discrimination was implied in the films, since Imperials were generally white, British males. But as we are now seeing, cadets were also black, Asiatic, female, etc. And aliens could climb high in the Imperial ranks.

Plus actively promoting xenophobia doesn't make sense to me. In WWII it was one thing for the Jews to be scapegoated since they were an easily targeted minority. And then outside of Germany, Slavs were another big target, but they were an external target. For Palpatine to promote or allow human biased policies when aliens are neither external (there are massive numbers on the capital world) nor a small segment of the population, this would not logically lend itself to Palpatine maintaining control.

The Jedi were an internal scapegoat and the Independent systems are the external targets. As far as why we see a human bottleneck in Imperial military ranks could just be because it allows standardization of equipment. Or it could also just be one of those things you shouldn't think so hard on. Because even though we know that women and non-Caucasians can attend the academy, I'm not aware of any of them being depicted as being an officer, or otherwise in a non-"bucket head" position in Rebels. And when Filoni is cutting enough corners with the stupid naval personnel all wearing their hats pulled down over their faces (to save the animators the trouble of having to animate different faces), it's possible that's why we don't see greater diversity.