main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Insomniac/Maniac Writer's Association

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Darth_Fruitcake, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    That's okay, I never have anyone to babble with about hypoglycemia...most people look at me sideways and go 'what's that?' You'd think more people would know about it!

Yup, I had to do my own research too...my friend's dad is also hypoglycemic, so he taught me a thing or two... "Laura, you have to eat breakfast...and no, it can't be poptarts." And "You can never drink any soda that's not diet!" Hehehe...that was a hard one...I didn't really like the taste of diet. Now I'm so used to it, it doesn't matter. I did have a waitress once who mixed up my brother's Dr. Pepper and my Diet Coke, and she was like, "ummm...I'm not sure which is which..." I took a sip and it was the Dr. Pepper...I wanted to say, "Um, 'scuse me, but do you know what will happen if you give a hypolgycemic or diabetic a regular soda?" I worked as a hostess in a restaurant, and in three weeks even I knew the waitresses were supposed to mark which soda was diet...lay a straw across the top...some people just don't think that you order things for a REASON.

Oh, well.

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I need somebody who carries sweets, that are not likely to make you as big as a elephant. Look, tis thread has reached it's 50th post! :)

Am [face_love]

3. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    A lot of people ask, 'why can't you just have sugar, if your blood sugar's low?' I was confused by that, too, until I researched and found out then when you eat sugar, it makes your blood sugar rise, but it then crashes even worse than before you ate it...so that's why hypoglycemics aren't supposed to have sugar.

I'm going to have to get off the computer in a sec...my sis is coming home from work and won't be able to sleep with me typing outside her bedroom door. I can't wait until I have my laptop back from the shop...

4. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Yeah, your actually supposed to have glucose? I think? Not those other sugars you find in fruit and cookies and stuff like that. I know when I need something I usually reach for some nuts or something like that.

I need to go too. We have guests coming at ten in the morning, so I'll need to try and actually go to sleep (blasphemy! ;)) And my wrist is killing me, stupid carpal tunnel... :p

5. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Yeah, you're supposed to have protein when it gets low...eggs, meat, nuts, fish...I usually grab nuts, and have taken to carrying them in my purse...hehe, I still remember, one time, I was in a really small church and I started having spasms and had to get up and leave in the middle of the sermon so I could eat! It wouldn't have been bad if it were a big church, but EVERYBODY noticed I was leaving... [face_blush] :D

Okay, I'm really leaving now! Gotta go grocery shopping in the morning and then COOK! Food, mmmmmm...

6. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Glucose, that's it. I remember carrying these little sweets around when I was little. Though, I always thought they were snacks or something like that - but they were really Barly Sugar, which is packed with Glucose. I got given a whole big packet last year, they taste almost foul when you first try them. Although as with everything, you get used to it.

Am [face_love]

7. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Hmmm. This is interesting. I don't think I remember seeing blood sugar and fanfic writing correlated before!

I've had some mild sugar problems. Funny, I was always told "get thee to the orange juice carton" when I started getting dizzy and woozy. Maybe next time, I'll try peanuts!

8. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    I'm not hypoglycemic, but I'm sugar intolerant. Sounds weird, I know, but I can't have too much sugar or I get sick. It fades after awhile (like half an hour) but it's still not very fun.
    Another thing that restricts my eating is my TMJ; a condition of the jaw that's a lot like arthiritis, but not quite. It usually develops over time, if you happen to grind your teeth a lot.
    I think I got mine because my jaw is kind of out-of-alignment with my teeth. Really weird. And it's a pain, because you can't eat anything that's overly chewy (like chewing gum and caramel) or puts a lot of strain on your jaw (like a whole apple, because you have to open your mouth wide to take a bite).
    So, yeah, I have my issues. But I'm on a tiny little pill that helps the pain, and I'm extremely careful of what I eat. But the pain sometimes is unbearable.

9. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    My jaw is out-of-alignment, too, but I caught it before it got bad. When I would go to chew, or to sing, my jaw would get stuck, or wouldn't open without popping when I woke up in the mornings. So I had to get this little rubber thing called a night guard that I have to wear while I'm sleeping. It's really helped, my jaw is fine unless I forget to wear it at night.

I'm sorry it hurts you, DF. :(

Well, it's Thanksgiving! (HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!!) So I only got on the check the posts...I'm off now!

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My sister and I frequently help each other make sense of our papers and we find that we have to finish them before three a.m. or we go completely nuts. It's hilarious. But surprisingly enough, my best work comes at 2 times: when I'm sick or up very late.

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Ah TMJ, oh the stories I can tell. My dentist said I had the worst case ever documented. But I was also the fastest treated. Aparently I had a mouth that would give a dentist nightmares, in fact we had one that refused to treat me it was so bad. But then this nice dentist fixed my teeth, and gave me Cranial Sacral therapy, (which is a very nice head rub) and I was done in eight months! Braces and everything! Now I just go in for cosmetic stuff. I get my fake teeth in a month! :D

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ish, I absolutely agree with you. :) Your best work truly comes out when it's late over there... ;)

Well, thank the Force, I don't have problems with my blood sugar. On the contrary, I feel the need to reduce my weight. :mad: Man, my figure was so slim when we had our "Ribbon Ball" (something like the "Prom" in USA) in February! And after that, during summer, I gained so much weight... ::shakes her head:: Sithspawn... ;) :D I need to work on myself. Force, I cut down a bit on the physical activity and look what happens... and I love eating. :p Especially the sweets in the middle of the night - which is the most unhealthy time for food. I used to have this really good plan for keeping my weight stable - no food after 5:00 p.m. I would have dinner (a sandwich usually, or something similar), and then I wouldn't eat at all (just drink something or eat an apple if I felt hungry). You know that your body burns the calories much harder after 6 or 7 in the evening? :eek: And if you do some physical exercise in the morning, before breakfast, it burns them three times faster than usual! :D Cool, huh? ;)

OK, I'll be going. I still need to finish my TFMD post. ::glances around the computer lab:: You know, somehow I have this feeling that one of these people is actually Darth Writer's Block in disguise... :mad:

13. Darth_Fruitcake

Jan 18, 2001
    My best work can't be predicted... I write when I get an "urge", and whatever comes out is what comes out. If it's good, great! If it's horrible... well, that's what the edit button is for.

In other news, I just got back from my Aunt's house. I'm still full from food. And, while I was there, I got the unfortunate priveledge of watching Predator2. Man, that movie SUCKED!!!!! The first one is much, much better.
    Of course, several scenes were rather funny. An old lady chases the Predator down a hallway, whacking him over the head with a broom.
    Crazy, the stuff I let myself watch...

Okay, am I babbling again? :D Sorry, I'll let other people talk...

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Uf! I'm stuffed too. :D But in a good way. Food can be so satisfying. Although I got stuck making a HUGE bowl of mashed potatoes. :p

15. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    I made some food too...I was supposed to make more; I got up at 8 so I could go to the store and help my mom...passed out on the couch and woke up to smell turkey cooking...I can sleep through ANYTHING, my family was all over the place talking and I slept through it until almost 11, hehe...lazy day. I'm comfortably full...

My writing...ahh, I don't know how I do it. I update my posts pretty much everyday, and I just sit at the computer and go..."I have to write this post now!" And I force it out of my brain until I have the next part! It usually all comes together so well, and it's almost never planned! :D *sighs* I didn't realize until taking today off the pressures of writing posts everyday for two stories!!!

16. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Just think, Qwi, I"ve taken ten days off. I'm loving every minute of it, though I do miss you guys in the audience.

17. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Food yucky!

I ate so much food today it's not even funny! I think I went from 90 pounds to 95 in a matter of hours.

Then I got a migrane and bloddy nose and had to go to sleep and try and sleep it off. NO SUCH LUCK!

I ended up missing have of our celebration! But I was in pain. I was in so much pain actually that I was crying.

I can write the best at night.

I just finished my newest story Hide and Seek.

I spent a long time trying to get my inspiration going.

I WOULD LIKE TO GO ON RECORD FOR SAYING MIGRANES MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO THINK!

18. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    Ohhhh, I'm with you, Mayo! I don't have migraines anymore--when I get a headache, it clues me in that my blood sugar's dropped--but a year or two ago, I had a summer of horrible migraines--I remember the worst one came when I was babysitting. It was midnight, and I was supposed to spend the night with the kids, because their mother didn't know when she would be back. It got so bad that I couldn't even MOVE. I had to call the kiddos' gramma, and get their aunt to drive me home...and then I got chills with that migraine. It was the middle of summer in Nashville, so it was either in the 80s or 90s. I had like, a sleeping bag, a quilt, and several blankets piled on top of me and I was still cold.

I hated those migraines.

You finished Hide and Seek? Already? Wow!

19. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    No I just finished the newest post. But I can't PM it to Ghent because I have to get off soon.

I spent all morning cooking and cleaning with a migrane.

Did I mention that I'M GROUNDED?!

My sister and I got into a really bad fight and now I can hardly move my right arm because my shoulder blade and back are swollen fromw where she accidentally hit my with a mop pole. Or so she says. I was laying on the floor crying for like 10 minutes because it hurt so bad. The whole time my mom was yelling at my sister for doing it. So because I took part in the arguement I'm on probation. Judt for tonight.

I hate being the oldest. I'm soooo small and weak frome getting sick alot when I was living in Jersey, and my sister is strong from years of sports.

Although I think that if I kicked her I would hurt her because I have some serious leg muscles from years of dance.

I am SOOO not going to sleep tonight because my back hurts and so does my head.. I think I'll just write a whole bunch For Hide and Seek.

otay I'll shut up now ::crowd applauses::

20. Qwi_Xux

Oct 5, 2001
    My poor, sweet Mayo! :( I'm sorry...I had a horrible fight with my foster brother the other day...I hate fighting; and I spent like, half an hour or forty-five minutes crying (something I hate doing, as well--especially if someone SEES me)--we never really got along, and I think that last argument probably fixed it so we never will...and I can't bring myself to care... :(

21. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    My sister and I are 17 months apart and the only way we resemble each other is our faces. Beyond that we are nothing alike.

Alot of people ask if we are twins. Yeah right! lol.

I was crying because I was upset that we got into a fight.

Like 20 minutes later she came out of her room crying and hugged me and said she was sorry and that she loved me. We didn't fight the rest of the day. Now I must get off.

I'll be e-mailing Ghent the post. Hey maybe we can chat some more tomorrow mornin.

I'm up at 5am but I don't come online until 7am. And I'm in eastern time zone.

22. Darth_Fruitcake

Jan 18, 2001
    Alright, peeps, last post and I'm off to hit the sack.

*thinks desperately for an odd topic that everyone will reply to*

Ummm.... what kind of movies does everyone watch besides SW? and what kind of books?

*singing* Oh, I'm off to hit the saaack, the wonderful sleepy sack! beacause because because because BEEECAAAUSE.... Of the wonderful sleep it does.

Now that was scary.

Oh, here's another topic, while I'm at it. What's the weirdest dream you've ever had?

23. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Alot has happened since I posted here yesterday! A big sorry goes out to everybody who had a bad Thanksgiving or a fight with their siblings. Ok here's my painful story, actually it's a silly one and I really shouldn't have been doing it in the first place - but anyhow:

I was in Science yesterday and we were using these sharp knife, ones that resembled pocket knives and I touched the blade to see how sharp it was and it cut my finger. Then I had to do cooking and throughout the whole cooking lesson my finger stung.

But enough about me, just put a little cream on it and it shall be fine. I know what you mean about writing a few fics, I've had a two day break and it's less stressful - I find myself enjoyed the audience (as Mel stated) and missing writing. So, I'm working on a ItMF post as I type ;)

In answer to D_F's questions, I love Dark Angel and Stargate. They'd have too be two of the most best sci-fics on Tv, and if we're talking movies I'd have to say 'The Sixth Sense', though of course Star Wars would come first. Anybody seen 'The Sixth Sense'? I watched 'The Siege' the other day, fantastic movie! Denzel Washington brought his character to life.

Now the weirdest dream I ever had, umm actualy it was the one I had last night. My dreams are all mixed up and I cannot remember them clearly, but I was on this ship which was stranded in space with only three people on it: myself, a woman who looked very much like Jane Seymor and a man. I can't exactly remember what the man looked like, though he was blonde.

Am [face_love]

24. Mayo_Solo

Aug 9, 2001
    For movies I like Shrek, Tomb Raider, Tem Mummy Returns, On the Beach, and Save the Last Dance.

For books anything with mush!

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    People, for Force's sake, PLEASE stop talking about food!!! :_| You're driving me nuts!!! :p

Anyways. I wish I had a sibling. I'm the only child ( :( ) and I tell you, it sucks. You guys are complaining about fighting with your siblings - at least you have SOMEONE to fight with! (and you can always make up afterwards...) :p Me - I had nothing. I mean nobody. I mean I do - I have a dog. :p It's a 7-year-old black English Cocker Spaniel and her name is Maggie. She is so sweet!!! [face_love] Very intelligent, and very smart. Sheesh, sometimes she's driving our entire family crazy. ;) :D But I have a bunch of cousins and their kids, so it's sort of a compensation for no siblings. :)

Hmmm. My favorite movies and books. Well, my top-best-most favorite movie is "Schindler's List". Then I like Tom Hanks (therefore I like his movies, mainly "The Cast Away", "Forrest Gump", "Saving Private Ryan" and "You've Got Mail"), and from other movies I must mention "The Patriot", "Moulin Rouge" (EWAN EWAN EWAN EWAN EWAN!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]), "Dragonheart", "La Vita e Bella" ("Life Is Beautiful"), and... many others, I don't recall right now. And as for the books... I'm a huge fan of Erich Maria Remarque. :) I read his "Three Camerades", "All Quiet On The Western Front", "A Night In Lisabon", and "Time To Live, Time To Die". I just love his style! :D My other favorite books include "Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz, "Catcher In The Rye" by J.D. Salinger, "Catch XXII" by Joseph Heller, ... darn, I can't think of anything else. Well, except the SW books. :p I love them. My favorite one is "Shadows Of The Empire" (I only read "The Truce At Bakura", the Thrawn Trilogy, "Rogue Planet", "Splinter Of The Mind's Eye", "Shadows Of The Empire", and half of "I, Jedi" - I didn't finish that).

OK, enough about me. ;) :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.