main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Inspiration Station

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by The_Face, Aug 8, 2009.

1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Welcome to the Inspiration Station, your one-stop shop for help getting your creative juices going when you're stuck on a design, or just need some advice.

How does this work exactly?

If you have any quotes, images, links, or even just your own advice for defeating designer's block, post them here for others to check out when they're feeling in need of a creative boost.

Here's some quotes to start out.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Design is knowing which ones to keep"
    - Scott Adams

"Design, in its broadest sense, is the enabler of the digital era - it's a process that creates order out of chaos, that renders technology usable to business. Design means being good, not just looking good."
    - Clement Mok

"Design is easy. All you do is stare at the screen until drops of blood form on your forehead."
    - Marty Neumeier

?A designer knows that he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.?
    - Antoine de St-Exupéry

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    - Douglas Adams

?If there's a 'trick' to it, the UI is broken.?
    - Douglas Anderson

?However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.?
    - Winston Churchill

Add on!

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Great idea Face!

Here's a tip that might help those who find themselves stuck on something: TAKE A BREAK!

All too often I find myself in a situation where I've been trying like mad to make some code work correctly, or get stuck in the middle of creating something in Photoshop. I find that taking a break and getting your mind off the project for a little while helps tremendously. I usually find that if I don't return later and manage to come up with some fresh ideas, my inspiration might even come to me while I'm in the middle of doing something else, like reading this thread! :p

And now, for no particular reason, here are some random examples of architecture:

[image=http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-02/origamic-architecture-chatani-2.jpg] [image=http://www.architecture411.com/common/notes/1/architecture.jpg] [image=http://www.crystalinks.com/india_architecture.jpg]

[image=http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/11/0727outthere1mellard4_b.jpg] [image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/169976131_acddda26b0.jpg] [image=http://www.kanyeuniversecity.com/client_images/kanyewest/3164_51f695f0dad1cbc524a87be0735581d4.jpg]

3. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Simply posting to say that I love the idea of this thread and that I totally agree with Grimby. Breaks and working on other projects can be a loads of help.

It's not exactly a tip, it's more of a trick I've discovered in my case, but whenever I'm not sure what to do next, I tend to just mess around with different layers and paintbrushes. Sometimes I get a flash of inspiration from a brush and my juices are refueled.

As for the total random archietecture pics, I love the blue-bridge-like pic. For some reason that shadow looked like a stormtropper to me before I focused on it. Might be because the thing just screams Empire/TIE Fighters to me *is weird*

4. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I've found in my coding life that if I had trouble making something work, I left it alone and took a nap. That cleared my head and when I came back to it, the pieces almost always fell into place.

If I wasn't sleepy, I'd read a book or watch a movie, or talk to some of my friends. My friends could always be counted on for inspiration.

5. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Going to sleep is a good idea. More often than not for me, a lack of ideas or inspiration can be traced to fatigue, so taking a nap always seems to help.

6. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Supposedly naps help your retention as well.

7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This site has been pretty inspirational to me lately.

8. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Have you been creating a portfolio for after school?

9. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Me? No not yet. I'm in the last year of my BA program for GD, after this I'm off to another school for video game/concept design. GD will be my backup. My port right now is all illustration work.

10. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Awesome!

What kind of games are you interested in doing?

11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Whatever I can get a job doing. I'm not picky. If I had to choose out of anything ever, Blizzard would be great. Everyone wants to work for them though.

12. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Yeah, those guys are at the top of the hill right now. That would be a great gig if you could land it.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Hopefully by the time I'm 60 or 70. That's the goal.

14. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    [face_laugh]

You never know until you try.

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I wanted to go to a game design college right out of highschool, but my dad wouldn't let me because the school wasn't yet accredited. [face_plain] That school was DigiPen Institute of Technology in Washington, which seems like a pretty damned good school these days.

16. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    What is the possibility of you going back now?

17. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I listen music when I need to create a 3d model. Helps.

18. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I usually do that when I'm gaming. Helps me concentrate and focus.

19. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Probably zero. I ended up going to film school, so when I do get back to college, it'll be to finish my film degree.