main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive The Integrated Balance of Power (IBOP) - Informational Thread and Training Centre

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by LightSide_Apprentice, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSide_Apprentice

LightSide_Apprentice Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 22, 2001
    OVERVIEW

For those of you who are not aware, this thread is the result of much thought and planning and is an extention of the idea that began with the Balance of Power. What is the Balance of Power? Essentially, it is an RPG that was created almost a year ago here on the RPF with the intention of attracting a large player base and seeking to be prosperous by avoiding the known pitfalls of many other unfortunate Role Playing experiences. This thread is a small part of the Balance of Power's sequel, the Integrated Balance of Power. As its name suggests, the new game aims to be multilayered and will consist of not one, but multiple threads.

My goal in the creation of the Balance of Power was to make an alternative Star Wars Galaxy that comprised of all the things we have come to know and love, without being bound by timelines and without limitations for expansion. It was designed to be an RPG that accomodated for all players, whether they were veterans or had never even participated in such a game before. It was to be something more than what a typical RPG offered. The game sought to encourage more extensive player interaction and a community aspect within the RPF as well as in the game itself. This is merely an extension of that goal. Anyone and everyone is welcome to participate. Previous knowledge of the Balance of Power is not required to join, as all necessary information will be provided for.

HOW THE GAME WORKS

The Inegrated Balance of Power will be run by a team of Game Masters (GMs). Day-to-day operations of the game rests in their hands. They provide players with missions, based on the faction they have joined, to challenge and provoke a positive learning and Role Playing experience. These Game Masters will be faction and thread-based. To join a particular faction all you need to do is post your interest within the faction of your desire (factions are indicated in thread titles).

This RPG will involve all classes of characters that you know from the Star Wars Galaxy. There will be a Galactic Empire, a New Republic, Jedi, Grey Jedi, Dark Jedi, Sith, Smugglers, Assassins and Bounty Hunters (and I hope a lot more, as things unfold).

The RPG will be very simple and yet complex. By this I mean that the RPG will be very easy to play but there will be an enourmous amount of things going on below the surface which you may or may not need or even want to know about. The game takes place in the Star Wars Galaxy as you know it but the time is not as important as the events which will soon unfold. Because I would like to include things from the past as well as the future, there will be no exact setting in time that will equate to the Star Wars films or Expanded Universe. Characters from the books and films will make appearences but they will not be player controlled to begin with. This game revolves around original characters who are not from the films, games, comics or novels. Such players are of your own nature and design.

HOW TO JOIN

Initially you will need to read the first few posts within this thread to attain a better understanding of how things work. This will only require you to read the first few posts before you know enough to make an informed beginning. I cannot overstress the importance of this thread itself however, as a source for in- and out-of-character information. This will be dominated with announcements in the future, so it would be wise to drop by whenever you get the chance.

Players are encouraged to make their characters original and to join only those factions that are on offer. Opportunities for additional factions will be provided for if the need arises. I strongly recommend you create more than one chracter, but not so many that you will not be needing them all. There are several reasons for this, but you will learn of those a little later.

For the moment I ask that you do not post your interest for joining within this thread, but to direct that i

2. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
  3. Kazkid8

Kazkid8 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    oh...come now...it's not that confusing... i have been awaiting this for a while...

4. ForceMaster101

Aug 30, 2003
    oh well I was never in the "Balance of Power". I will read the rest of the WHOLE post.

5. C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t

C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Well I read the whole post! :) I'm awaiting the processs of making my character... :)

6. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Excellent. *rubs hands together*

Can't wait for this to start. :D

7. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    ForceMaster101, if you have a question, feel free to state it clearly, and I'll give you a response. Or alternatively, feel free to make use of the PM system we have available. You'll also find that I explained that it was not necessary to be aware of the Balance of Power to join its sequel ;)

Kazkid8, I tend to agree, on all accounts :)

C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t, If you have a character in mind then that's a good start, because we'll have faction threads up soon enough.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
  9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Just a note to all users:

The Integrated Balance of Power Role Playing Game has been selected to serve as the Role Playing Forum's flagship RPG.

In as much as is possible, we will be centralising much of the forum input so as to expose them to this game, and hope for all RPF patrons to take part in the this simple yet extremely fun and interactive game style.

This is not to say that anything will be done to disadvantage smaller RPGs or other RPGs in the RPF of any kind: it will if anything at all, enhance them by enriching the whole forum.

So I beseech all RPF users to come together, join or some otherwise take part in IBOP.

Good Luck and Thanks to Lightside Apprentice and all the sub-GMs and creative team who aide him to make this venture possible.

Good Luck, and may the training and games begin.

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I have a question.

Do old characters need to post bios?

11. ForceMaster101

Aug 30, 2003
    I will post a bio in New Republic thread.

12. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    Handmaiden_Yane, old characters will need bios. They will be the only players to have the option to post a more detailed bio, which includes their BoP achievments. It's not a requirement however, as it is optional.

13. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I'm in as soon as the Empire gets a thread.

14. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Ugh...thats six bios from me!

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Janson: I'm Jello, your friendly Galactic Emperor. I'll get that thread up as soon as I get it organized. :)

16. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    WELCOME:

Welcome to the Balance of Power Informational Thread. This is the place to be if you have any questions as to the Integrated version of the Balance of Power. It should be noted that any and all potential members are welcome to participate.

SIGNING UP:

To join, all you need do is make a post (within one of the faction threads), or send me a private message, specifying which faction you wish to join. The available factions range from The Galactic Empire, New Republic, Jedi Order, Grey Jedi Order, Sith Order, Dark Jedi Order, Assassins Guild, Bounty Hunters Guild, Smugglers Alliance, and I hope, many more that are yet to come.

RULES AND GUIDELINES:

The rules are simple. Once you've requested to join, you will be directed to your respective faction's thread(s). From there, you will receive a basic outline of the game's setting, the faction's structure, its leaders and any specific rules, regulations or guidelines to follow as being part of that team. That will be your primary base. It's there that you will learn and spend most of your in-character time.

GAME MASTERS:

The game will be co-ordinated by a single Game Master, who will appoint faction leaders and sub-Game Masters to aid in the running of the integrated threads. If you have a faction-related question, it should be addressed to the faction leader(s) by sending a PM or posting in their respective thread. If you have a need which you believe the faction leader cannot answer and you wish to go to a higher authority, you may send me a Private Message and I'll see what I can do to be of service.

Factions leaders will basically be in full control of their threads. They are answerable only to the Game Master. As faction leaders, they choose their own training methods, their destinations, ranking structure, any extra rules, regulations or guidelines that are to be followed while in their threads.

INFORMATIONAL THREAD:

The Informational thread will be used to send important pieces and messages to all participants of the RPG. It will also house the Integrated Training Facility and will be the home of the Shadow Council.

The Training Facility is open to both new and more experienced members as a "play ground". It includes inter-faction operations, player examinations, simulations and lectures, all of which aim to bridge the gap bewtween those players who are new to Role Playing and have never done so before and those who are Veterans and need little direction.

The Shadow Council is exactly as its title suggests. It is comprised of a group of players, primarily the Game Master and sub-GMs, as well as faction leaders and several other parties. These people constantly work in the shadows and aim to bring prosperity to the Integrated Balance of Power as well as the Role Playing Forum as a whole. As such, you will see much of the proceedings of both the Training Facility and the Shadow Council within the Informational Thread.

[color=red][b]GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW:[/b]

Basic Rules, which apply to all threads being part of the [i]Integrated Balance of Power[/i], are as follows:

1) The Game Master's word is final. If there are any problems, they should be taken to PMs.

2) Sub-GMs are the authority where the Game Master is absent or unavailable. They are considered limited in authority to their own thread.

3) GMs are not 'above' anyone else. Their role is primarily that of a guide and problem solver. Feel free to approach them as such. You will find they are often open to reason.

4) In and out of character information should be displayed as such.

5) Use common sense and courtesy: ie. no god-moding, flaming, coarse language etc.

6) Faction leaders are exactly that and should be treated as such.

7) Battles, duels or other confrontations are to be conducted on a turn-basis.

8) Be prepared to have your own characters lost, killed, disintegrated, captured and discredited because such outcomes are always a possibili

17. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm now sort of glad that I only play 2 characters. :p

Any idea when the Sith thread will be up, LSA?

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  19. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2001
    I'd like to have a Sith too ... so I'll be waiting eagerly.

20. LightSide_Apprentice

May 22, 2001
    DarthXan318, ShadowWarrior, I'm not sure to be honest, but it will be in the near future. Please keep an eye out :)

21. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Is it possible to be multiple characters in multiple factions?

I'm torn, I want to be a Republic Diplomat, but I already have Imperial Characters.

22. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Alright. :)

So, let's see if I've got this straight: most RPing will take place in the faction threads, and the inter-faction interaction will be played here?

23. C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t

C_o_r_u_s_c_a_n_t Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I thought this was only an informational thread and training centre. :confused:

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Characters in seperate factions are permitted, yes.

That is correct, CX. :)

25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I think there will be a seperate thread for the main inter-faction gaming. This one is just for Info and training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.