main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Interactive History of the JC - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by YODA the all powerful, Jan 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    [image=http://www.killertoys.com/prodpics/mrhorse.jpg]

2. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Actually, I'm quite amazed that anyone got the "Mr. Horse" reference. Good job! :D

3. Pyrus

Pyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Damn, you mean that's an inside joke now. I feel old... thank Gonk you're around Jas. :p

4. Pyrus

Jul 13, 1998
    *Ice*

Great sock, and first existing post. I want that pic for an icon now.

5. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Yeah! [face_laugh] :cool:

6. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Do you have any rubber Walrus protectors?

Call the police!

I wish I had a million dollars, and a fridge with a padlock. And, oh yeah, huge pectoral muscles!

"Don't whiz on the electric fence!"

"I made Space Cabbage!"
    "Is it stinky?"
    "Just the way you like it!"

Man That's entertainment! Thank you, John Kricfalusi!

[face_mischief]

7. Pyrus

Jul 13, 1998
    "What rolls down stairs alone or in pairs
    Rolls over your neighbor's dog?
    What's great for a snack and fits on your back?
    It's Log, Log, Log!

It's Log, Log, it's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
    It's Log, Log, it's better than bad, it's good!
    Everyone wants a log! You're gonna love it, Log!
    Come on and get your log! Everyone needs a Log!"

8. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I love Ren & Stimpy.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    [image=http://www.tvcatalunya.com/tvcmult/30801782.jpg] [face_love]

The make my heart all warm.. like old friends..

10. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    WOW, I really am old, aren't I?

:_|

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No... not at all.. you're like a bottle of wine... smelly.

:p

12. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    It's about time you realized this. :p

I wonder where YTAP went. He said he'd try to check in on Fridays, but he hasn't. Can't really blame him, though. He's got a pretty full life right now.

13. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Yeah, Son, I know I'm old. But old isn't bad. Actually, I'm only 55, and 4 years away from an early retirement. Don't feel sorry for me! I'm a boomer, an old hippie, and a Star Wars freak! Life is good!:p :cool: [face_laugh]

14. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    In all seriousness, you do seem very happy. I hope that when I'm 55, I'll be cherishing life like you instead of moping around doing nothing.

15. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Interesting thing about the indexes (ok, so someone talked about them a few pages back). I literally spent hours and hours on them. Cutting and pasting links into a word document. I actually had those saved to my father's PC (wonder if they are still there... would be an interesting time to see if some still worked). At any rate, I was the first indexer. I came up with the notion and followed thru. At that time it was easy, there was not much to keep track of.

At any rate, if you want to know where it all started, there is a little bit of TFN trivia for ya.

16. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I don't think it includes "The Watchmen" which was a secret combination lead by Saint_of_Killers and with such illustrious people as AT-60 and Coolguy4522 and some other girl due to the outrageous actions of some head manager of years ago whom I cannot remember the name. Meh, I stopped really caring about Star Wars a while ago and only like talking about politics, and for some reason like the slow pace of the Senate.

17. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    YTAP, you and me both, I worked many hours on those indexes, and trying to create the "Official" threads just before the movie releases to keep all the discussions in just a few threads. A totally futile effort, I might add. And then there were all the "Member Update" threads. ObiWannaCracker actually inspired me to do that. I thought it would be interesting to see the post counts of all the members and I posted the first of those threads showing the post counts of all of the members. I think that was in December of '98. I think I did about 3 or 4 updates during the following months, and then someone else took on the job, Son of the Suns I think it was. Wow, it was so long ago, I don't even remember! Borderline Altzheimer's, I think. Uhh, what was I talking about? :confused:

18. Pyrus

Jul 13, 1998
    We were just discussing the paint scheme for my guest room at the Jas Retirement Villa...

Welcome back YtaP!

19. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Green and purple, OK? Thanks, Pyrus!

20. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I definitely remember your indexes (or indices, as Shar Kida would say). Shortly after you started working on them, I was inspired to follow suit. I indexed Classic Trilogy, Collecting and what was then Miscellaneous way back in 1999. They were very hard work, but they were always rewarding.

I actually made a new index for the Collecting forum just a few weeks back. Check it out here.

You remembered right. I did a few MUs after yours (my first was actually while I was still QGWTW2.0), then Jay did one or two and then I went back and did several more.

21. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Not to belabor this thread, but I wanted to add some posts from an old thread of mine in here, as this seems to be the "official" version of my history (as limited as it is) and the thread most likely to endure. It gets into the moldy oldie history Happy reading.

From my thread "The Revised History of the TFN Jedi Council" dated 8/9/00

The Revised History of the TFN Jedi Council.

[Note: I remember a thread of singular importance to the JC created by Paul/Chewbacco a few years back (even before the release of TPM), which (though it was done with a fairly apocalyptic slant) served to teach members of the humble beginnings of the board and to pull some semblance of a historical progression through the chaotic mists of time that shroud such a task. It was a heady task at the time, and with the addition of such monumentous change to this environment, is even MORE daunting now, but it is something that I wish to attempt before my time, though brief here, is at an end. I will work on this for a few weeks, and hopefully have it at a place that comes close to describing the present experience that is the JC. There are several problems with this task, first, of the ones which come to mind, is that I have been absent for stretches of this experience, and second, as with any historical text, the narrative tends to focus upon individualistic deeds and stories, rather than the more important view of the "common man?s" approach to history, and as such, people who should have been mentioned, will inevitably remain unmentioned. I do not propose that I will write a completely representational account of the history of this board, but I hope some will enjoy this collection of stories, slanted by my own personal views. These issues are compounded by the author?s sometimes faulty memory caused by the ingestion of too many beers while posting almost two years here, and the fact that the fundamental problem with history is that it will always defy capsulation. As such, I will try, probably for so long hours, to describe the history of the JC as I have experienced it. It will be a testing of the historical education I have been given and an early attempt at future endeavors. Please be patient, as this will take some time to finish.]

"The ?Golden Age?"

Many historical texts, especially dogmatic ones, begin with the phrase "In the beginning," however, this one will not since the author wasn?t here for the beginning, and, as such, he is forced to start with?

Near the beginning... (specifically October 5, 1998), if one were to enter the Jedi Council of The Force.Net, one would see a Bulletin Board that is a shadow of the vast pixelization that alights the displays of thousands of monitors across the world. What one would see is a very few options for posting. There was the newly created Fanfic forum, which will receive attention later. Then there were the old stalwarts of Prequels, Classic Trilogy, Literature, Collecting, Games, Announcements, and Suggestions. It was a time that is currently revered by members who were around then, and now has received the ponderment of the entirety of the JC Community.

The most poignant difference between the JC of today, which is hosted by a site that has been recognized by the mainstream print media, and has been generally accepted as the crowning achievement among Star Wars fan sites, eclipsing even the previous champion Jedi.net, is that there were far less people then. It was an environment where a person could begin posting, and within a week, get to know virtually every person on the board. It was a time when rules were lax, because the place had not yet been burdened with the attention that caused a few people with too much time on their hands to cause problems and upset those who invested much of their daily time to the interaction. It was a democratic society, in which, though there were two Administrators, glark and tonyf, (and of course, Scott, who was the chief of the TFN tribe), they were rarely ever seen. The Community served as its own check and balance, and because it was

22. Harpoo

Harpoo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2006
    [image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/harpuah/72-RenStimpy-figures_sm.jpg]

[:D]

Loved and missed, all of you old farts are...

*says the 32 year old weenus*

:p

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Upping by request. :)

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Rereading this thread has really brought back memories for me, and not just from the stories. The screennames alone are enough to do it. I've been rereading a number of older threads lately. You younguns should try it too. It'll make you real edumacated!

And yes, I am in a nostalgic mood today. Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of my registering on this site, so hopefully such things can be forgiven. :)

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I have a JGM memory to share I hope some of you will find amusing. When I first started posting at the JC, I'd already been lurking for some while, felt a bit intimidated by certain other posters whom I felt had much better things to say than I did, and therefore I posted quite infrequently. I was posting maybe a couple of messages per week in the hopes of making them quality posts (though in hindsight, I think I failed miserably, and looking back on some of my very early posts still makes me feel like a huge noob [face_blush]. I remember one of the first threads I posted in with regularity was one called "Darth Maul is Anakin's dad" and I tried to come up with some watertight theory for how Darth Maul was the father because his face was on Anakin's ceiling and he and Shmi wore the same bracelet and Shmi was obviously lying about the no father thing judging by the look on her face. Ha! I was gullible back then). Anyway, on UBB, we had the ranks Junior Member/Member/Administrator, which later became Padawan/Jedi Knight/Jedi Master. I was stuck at Junior Member for what seemed like forever because 31 posts was a lot for me to make back then, what with the lack of JCC and all. I remember encountering either JGM or Homer Maddux (I forget which) when the name was quite new and noticing that he was already a full member even though I'd been registered a lot longer, so to resolve my residual confusion over whether the promotion to Member was based on number of posts or amount of time registered, I looked at his profile. He had something like 180 posts in four days of being a member. I almost died. It took me three or four months to get to 31 and lose that stupid Junior Member title. :p

Of course, everything has changed now, and these days I can easily do 31 posts in a day. But that's because I'm not posting much of substance, I don't think. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.