main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Invincible Iron Man

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/jedimasterronoc/DVD%20Discussion/ironman.jpg]

Did anyone pick this up yet? I'm getting it later today or tomorrow. I'm a fan of the Iron Man character. I enjoyed Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2 so I knew I'd be getting this.

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just finished watching this. While it pretty much re-invents Iron Man's origins, it was a fun film. The PG-13 rating meant they didn't shy away from violence or adult themes. I'm really liking these Direct to DVD Marvel titles, although I intend to skip Dr. Strange.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The previews looked pretty dismal to me. What's the point of re-inventing Iron Man's orgins? They could have done a film about his regular past just fine.

4. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Are there decent previews for these? I haven't picked them up because I really don't know anything about them, and am a bit hesitant to buy animated super-hero movies that aren't the X-men (90's).

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    http://www.invincibleironmandvd.com/index.html

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Well I liked it enough to wish he had his own ongoing series. It was just as good, if not better than the Justice League.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    finally got the movie and watched it last night. overall it wasn't bad. it could be better though. the thing i didn't like was how Tony Stark already had suits made and used them when he got back from being in captivity. i would've liked to see experimentation with the design and creation of the suits

8. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Iron Man origin is not absolutely positively beholden to Vietnam. His origin is beholden to any place on the friggin planet where he is wounded in an explosion and needs to make the armor to survive and escape his captors. The old editor of Marvel, Jim Shooter, once wrote an editorial in the 80s chastising fans who complained about a change that occurred in Fantastic Four's origin that was purely superficial, but the fans complained about. Shooter said they were being too literal and too quick to miss the point about what an origin is supposed to accomplish. Similar to the Iron Man Movie, it had to do with a point on a map, and also similar to the Iron Man Movie, any location change doesnt amount to a hill of beans.

Now that thats said, I would have preferred a more realistic villain for the first Iron Man movie, as I really dont have a thing for these ghosts and aliens that these Marvel movies keep throwing at us. I believe Iron Man more or less begins and ends with its best writer/artist Bob Layton (whose on the special features of the DVD), and his plotlines were always a better read.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I saw the trailer for it with the Saw III Dvd

Looks sort of silly and makes me want to see Downey Jr in the suit even more

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I watched this yesterday, and I didn't care for it that much. It was pretty boring to me, the plot dragged out with poor pacing, and other than Stark and Rhodey, I didn't care much for the characters. The two Ultimate Avengers movies were a lot better than this, and I liked Stark a bit more in those than I did here.

Of course, this doesn't lower my expectations for the live-action Iron Man movie one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.