Amph The IPad, Kindle and the possible impact on Print Media

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodaminch, Apr 8, 2010.

1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'd guess the same. I'm hoping that the combination of an Amazon tablet & the Amazon App Store For Android drives B&N to allow the Nook Color to experience it's true potential and have full access to the Android Marketplace.
  2. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Does anyone know what the screen type will be? I'd be very interested in the colour eInk display but not really interested in anything backlit.
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
  4. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ooh, color e-ink! :D

Not very impressive at the moment, but prototypes rarely are.
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, I doubt color e-ink is really going to go anywhere; just my personal opinion there, but I guess we'll see.

In more interesting news, Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet is apparently very close to release:

Kindle Fire

6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    If it comes out in the USA in time for Christmas, that means we (UK) probably won't see anything til next year. I think there was about a year's delay on the original Kindle and I'd expect this to follow the same release path.

That's OK - between a new laptop and a portable Blu-Ray player I've spent enough on gadgets this year.
  7. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There's a new rumor that the Kindle Fire is just a place holder, and Amazon's real "Ipad killer" will be coming Q1 in 2012.
  8. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Amazon's got alot of catching up to do to Itunes and the App Store if they want anything they produce to be a competitor to the Ipad; Amazon MP3 is a speck compared to Itunes; likewise the Android App Store doesn't measure up tablet app-wise to the IoS equivalent.
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    New Kindle releases look pretty hot.

$200 for the Kindle Fire, you'll get a lot of people who can't/won't pay the price for an iPad.

I expect I'll probably end up getting one of each, although I'm holding off on the iPad to see if they are going to release one with the HD screen.
  10. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, found some extra money this month, ordered my 16-gig N2A Android-encoded micro SD card from Amazon today; should arrive tomorrow. Review to follow.
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, review time!

The good: Android on the Nook Color is, for all intents and purposes, a real computer. It's not a closed sandbox like IoS is (which has its own advantages, like viruses and spyware just not really being possible). An example-I downloaded a few free Ebooks on the web browser, and opened em up with 'Overdrive Media Player' (or something like that, can't remember the exact name) without any hassle at all.

The bad: The Android Market apparently has a design staff of hyperactive children. The thing is just a mess; the only useful part IMO is the Search feature, which runs things down pretty well.

In general, the Android 2.3 SD card for Nook is a good idea if you're frustrated with your Nook Color's children/paid content-focused app store; it's not needed otherwise. I solidly like it.
  12. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    Can you explain the memory card a bit further please?

It sounds to me as if an image of Android is on the memory card and, when plugged into your nook, the nook 'boots' from it and you have an Android device with added storage?

Sorry if I'm off the mark, but that sounds cool. I want an Ironclad - Ironkey with built in OS, but I'll never ever get one :(
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, what you described is pretty much it. The company itself is fairly new; they're tremendously helpful and courteous-I had a few questions before I was willing to buy one (like "will I have to buy a new card when Honeycomb becomes available?") and they replied very quickly (within a few minutes) over email.

The Android image is the Cyanogen7 mod; it has some other features of tablets/smartphones that I don't really like (inability to delete pre-installed apps I never use, for one) but by and large I generally enjoy using it-the level of cloud/hardware integration is pretty impressive and very handy.
  14. RedHanded_Jill Jedi Master

star 4
    My 15 yr old is getting a nook tablet for xmas. he has been thinking aloud about all the things he will do with it. of course he is a little computer genius.
  15. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I finally went and got an Ipad; IMO pretty far off-topic for a thread about E-readers, but I suppose I'll talk about it as it's in the thread title.

I first got interested in an Ipad partly out of frustration with the Android Market and general layout on the device; then I found out about the multitouch gestures built into it and got a good deal more interested. There are preprogrammed gestures you can use to do certain things, such as switching from one app to another is a four-finger swipe across, and revealing the multitasking space is a four finger swipe up. The level of integration between utterly unrelated apps is pretty impressive, too; for example, if I want to read a .epub or .pdf file from my Dropbox, which is where I keep most of my books & so on, I can download it to the device and then it'll automatically be able to be opened in Stanza, or any other program capable of handling the file format. It's well-constructed, and a serious contender for replacing a laptop-I barely use my laptop anymore since I've gotten it. It also does productivity pretty well, but that's waaay beyond this thread's scope.
  16. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    You'd recommend it more than a regular e-reader?
  17. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    So just to confuse things a bit more for UK folks, the Bookseller.com is reporting that the Nook might be coming to the UK. Not in time for Christmas this year though. You can see the story here.
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's really interesting! I'm surprised they're waiting until after the holidays to try something. I'd think they would want the Christmas market, especially since the new Kindle Fire just came out.

I'd be surprised if the Nook didn't go through Waterstones. With Waterstones around, I don't know if B&N would be able to create a market for itself.
  19. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Absolutely. E-readers, while they have lots of advantages over books IMO (cost over time and the ability to electronically safeguard your books from damage) are very limited for the price. Sure, it's cheap, but you're just getting so much more in capability for an Ipad or equivalent device.
  20. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    Got my mom a Kindle last mother's day, and it got all messed up and broke. I think it's because she falls asleep with it and it has cigarette burns and got smushed a lot.

God she loves that thing. She panicked so hard when it broke (we don't buy books, I just "get" them)

Best present ever. She's not computer saavy, so having it just be an e-reader and only an e-reader that she can work is perfect

Anyways, called Amazon for the broken Kindle. They just sent us a new one. Awesome.

I'm thinking about getting one. Sometimes I would like an iPad...but what I like about Kindle is that is for reading and ONLY for reading. With an iPad I would just end up mucking around. Make sense?
  21. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I'd tend to agree. I have two laptops so I'm OK in the PC area. If I were to get a reader I'd probably go for a dedicated reader like a Kindle rather than an iPad or similar device. It's less expensive. Also if you travel a lot you don't take such a bad hit if you lose it or it's stolen.
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    So, I guess the best product (between a reader or a tablet) just depends on your needs.
  23. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have a Kindle and an iPad. I love both, but certainly if you are a hardcore reader such as myself, I doubt you would want to spend too much time with the iPad.

The Kindle app isn't bad for the iPad, and you can change the display from the eye-tiring white/black font to sepia/black font or black/white font. But it's still backlight and not e-ink.

The iPad is great for surfing the web, doing music stuff, and reading comics. Looking at photos, playing games, etc. It mos def has more flexibility and potential than any single e-reader, but it basically is a laptop replacement.

Also, I can fit the new Kindle into my jacket pocket.
  24. Jedi_Matt Force Ghost

star 4
    I completely forgot about this thread, oops!

The only thing with the Kindle is that there is one niche it doesn't fill for me, graphic novels.

That's what I'd consider moving to an iPad for... but it's just too pricey!

iPad 3 rumoured to be announced in mid-February 2012 as well...
  25. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    There is a rumored price drop for IPad 2 that'll come with the release of the 3 as well. It makes sense when you look at the IPhone series: the IPhone 4S is the most expensive, and most capable. Then the is the 4, which basically doesn't have Siri and a few other things, and is abit cheaper. And then there's the 3GS, which is free with a contract.