Amph The IPad, Kindle and the possible impact on Print Media

Discussion in 'Community' started by Yodaminch, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Evil_King_Wiggins Force Ghost

star 6
    I need the large memory because I will be spending large amounts of time with no internet connectivity, be it wifi or 3g.

Evil.
  2. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    There's a fix for that coming in February or so, actually:

Cloud FTP

3. Evil_King_Wiggins Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmm, that's pretty cool. They already have hdd's that do this, this will make it so everything can be accessed wirelessly.

I think that I will still be getting the transformer though, because it already here, and I can have everything on one device. I doubt I'll even fill up half of what it can potentially hold though. Heck, I may opt to get the 32gb model instead of the 64gb with something like this to consider in the future.

Evil.
  4. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, the main advantage of that over the HDDs that do this is that it's arguably the same price or less for a pile of more storage space. the SeaGate MobileGo Satellite is five hundred gigs for 200 dollars; as far as I know it's the only model of this type of external drive that does this. This for 100 bucks and (I'm using this one as an example) a Toshiba Canvio 1-terabyte external drive for 80 bucks is undercutting the Seagate by twenty bucks and offering twice as much memory, plus you could always buy another harddrive later if you need more space.

edit: Whoops, the link is the 500-gig model; the 1-tb model is 105 dollars. So more or less the same amount of money invested as the Seagate for twice as much space.
  5. Space_Wolf Force Ghost

star 3
    One of the problems I've found with Kindle (I can't speak for IPads, as I don't have one) is that there are still many books which I would have liked to get in e-book format that aren't avilable yet. A lot of my old paperbacks from about ten years back are showing signs of wear and I probably won't be able to get new copies of books which are out of print. I am talking mainly books which are old, as I have noticed that when I look for books that are were published (for example) more than 5 years ago, that they have not been converted to Kindle format yet. I have noticed that this same problem also applied to Star Wars books the last time I searched on Amazon for them in Kindle format (Some of the recent novels are however, avilable on Kindle - I know that you can get them all on Nook, but as I live in the UK I can't get it). It would be nice to see books which are out of print avilable in e-book format too - what's the point in there being a huge back log of out of print documants which are sitting around doing nothing when they can be converted into digital format and sold?

At the moment I just think that there are too many e-readers that aren't compatable with each other for the e-book industry to take over the print one and due to the difficulty in getting e-books for the reader I want to use (i.e the Kindle) I won't be buying a Kindle in the near future. I have bought a few Kindle e-books but as I use my netbook to read them I find it difficult to concentrate on books which are longer than a novella and so most of the books I have for it tend to be short stories. (An actual Kindle device probably wouldn't have that problem).

As for comics, I have looked at them in pdf form and I think that hard copies are better because of the scrolling problem. If you've ever looked at a pdf brochure on a computer screen and had to zoom into read it, you'll understand what I mean. Even when you don't need to zoom in, scrolling on a pdf file can still be a pain when you need get to different sections of the document. While at uni, I used pdfs of scientific journal artciles a lot and most of the time I had to print them out so that I could work with them properly. Larger documents like the digital version of the Pathfinder RPG Rulebook was even worse than that.

Until there's a cheaper universal e-reader (I know that therotically, the IPad could be considered one) which is compatable with all e-book file formats and the majority of novels (at least) are avilable in e-book format, including out of print books and are more widly avilable in most countries, then I don't think that books in digital format will take over from print.

There are somethings about e-books that I do like and that relates to storage and the fact that they won't get worn out in the way that hard copies do. If you can download them more than once after you've bought them (like you can with Kindle) then even if something happens to the device you won't lose your books. There are some types of books which I don't think that digital format would ever be good for and that's books which are heavy in graphics because of scrolling and display problems.
  6. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I just got my first tablet. I got an Acer A200. It has 16gigs of on board space and I installed another 16gigs of space with a microsd card. After 2 days with the tablet I have 7 books from the store and I signed up for 3 comic book subs. It's great having all my stuff on one light weight device. I'm loving it so far. It's wifi only but it I really needed internet in a pinch I could tether my iPhone to it.
  7. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That's what I do. IDK what service provider you have obviously, but even the two bars of AT&T 3G I get at work (we work in a pretty massively constructed building) is pretty zippy with tethering.

The iPad 3 is supposedly going to be announced in about two weeks.
  8. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I have Verizon and my iPhone is jail broken so I can use the tether without paying for it. I get full bars at work so it works nearly as well as my home internet.
  9. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, apparently the iPad 3 is supposed to have a 4G connection option; one nice thing I like about tablets with an option for a data plan is that you don't have to use it, unlike getting a phone. You could buy an Asus Transformer, or an iPad, or whatever, and just have the option of turning on the data if you so choose.
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    They just came out with the iPad 2 last year 8-} What does Wired think?
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Probably the same thing as they always do, given that iPad pretty much owns the tablet market; 75% of all sales and 97% of all Internet tablet use comes from iPads.

-Posted from my iPad :p
  12. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah the iPad 3 will have Super Amazing Retina Display and will be faster.

I'm quite happy with my iPad 2.:p Comics are amazing using ComicZeal on the iPad.

With Kindle, honestly if I can't find something on the store, there are ways around it and you're able to find almost anything...it might be in pdf format or something though.
  13. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    BBC News says Apple has announced a press event for March 7. They have it pegged as the iPad 3 launch.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I use Stanza for my comics; I agree that the iPad 2 is a gorgeous comics reader.

Laj-yeah, seems pretty likely. IIRC the Ipad 2 was released on March 7 and announced March 2 last year.
  15. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Some interesting discussion on the SFWA website about a new dispute between the Independent Publishing Group and Amazon on e-books.

I'll put a generic language warning in as they allow comments and I'm not sure how closely they are moderated.
  16. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Thanks for the link! That's very interesting. I'm not surprised, considering what Amazon tried to pull with Macmillan a couple years ago. Now it's going against a smaller company that can't fight back as well.
  17. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Can't really say I'm surprised either. Happily, there are dozens of non-Amazon ebook retailers. All of which use the universally hardware-friendly .epub file format and Adobe's multiplatform DRM...[face_whistling]
  18. quiller Jedi Master

star 2
    I spend a extremely large amount of time reading e-books now. I have Iphone 3s and use Stanza, love it on Iphone, and my puter for that matter, but have to watch it as the latest update will not work on Iphone 3s so I don't update on my phone but works well storing books and thus always have a book to read with me. I just got the kindle, it works good but not as good as stanza reader, too limited, can not change font, go inverse, limited on size but it is has its advantages, bigger screen being one so i do use it at home instead of books when I can. I have a very extensive library and sense I am known to reread books a lot it works out very well for me.

Also those that are fighting not having the right format for your reader then you really really need Calibre (it is free.

I don't read too many comics, only comics I read are Season 8 -9 of buffy, a few star wars, clone wars and John carter of mars ones and I read those on puter if need to.
  19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Which Kindle did you get?
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    CNN Ipad 3 Announcement

Apple rolled out a high-definition iPad on Wednesday with a display screen that promises to be dramatically sharper than the current model, the iPad 2.

"It is amazing," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at a San Francisco unveiling. "We've taken it to a whole new level, and we are redefining the category that Apple created with the original iPad."

The new 9.7-inch display screen will feature a "retina display" of 2047 by 1536 pixels, compared with the current model's 1024 by 768 pixels.

The new iPad will be available March 16 and cost the same as the iPad 2 -- from $499 to $829 based on storage capacity and Wi-Fi capacity. Pre-orders were opened at Apple's online store on Wednesday.
  21. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yep, getting one; not on release day, though.
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Daily Mail Story.

Just seeing on the news that Ipad3 pre-orders are now sold out and that if you did pre-order there will be a slight delay in getting one (March 19 as opposed to March 16).

(Language warning as the article allows comments and I'm not sure how strictly they are moderated.)
  23. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yeah, apparently Apple has sold 3 million Ipad 3s since the availability date.