main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Irony of it all!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MasterDevery, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterDevery

MasterDevery Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2005
    In literature.. epics and such things there is allways irony, a great one ofthis movie- Anakin turned to save padme, but the turning to the darkside killed padme.

The ironic parts go mostly unnoticed, any others that were caught, when i remember another i'll post it on here.

2. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Well theres the cliche of Qui Gon thinking Anakin would bring balance to the force (which he of course ultimatley does) but almost completley destroys the jedi in the process. Now thats irony.:D

3. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

I thought you Americans didn't know what Irony is.

4. Jedi_Momma

Jedi_Momma Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2005
    No. we do - oh the irony of it [face_laugh] - it's just that it went out of fashion "post 9-11." Hmm, or was that cynism? Anyway - it's back, baby, it's baack!!

5. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    I thought it was ironic when Qui-Gon said "This Gungan may be of help." in TPM.

6. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    No that was Canadians. Allanis Morriset is from Canada. ;)

One scene that was ironic for several reasons was when Anakin exclaimed in PM that "No one can kill a Jedi" and Qui-gon responded with "I wish that were true."

7. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    No,we don't seem to know what sarcasm is.At least a lot of the ones who post on message boards.

8. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    Anakin turned to save padme, but the turning to the darkside killed padme. The ironic parts go mostly unnoticed?

Maybe the irony is lost on the younger audience but if you?re an adult and you missed that, then, well?I can?t say what I want to say. Suffice to say that Blue Collar TV would be over your head too.

One scene that was ironic for several reasons was when Anakin exclaimed in PM that "No one can kill a Jedi" and Qui-gon responded with "I wish that were true."

I would not call that ironic. I would call that foreshadowing.

9. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Good call: a lot of people misuse the term. IS THAT IRONIC? HUH?

To add to the conversation, yes, it IS ironic that Anakin struggled to "save" padme, when in reality HE kills her.

ie- The very struggle to "save" Padmé ends up killing Padmé.

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    It was ironic for several reasons.

*Anakin claims no one can kill a Jedi, and he does in fact kill several

*Qui-gon wishes that were true yet dies himself in just a few days

*Also, by bringing the Chosen One to the attention of the Jedi Council he will start a chain reaction which ultimately leads to the death of nearly every single Jedi in the galaxy.

*Anakin is under the mistaken belief that Jedi are too powerful to be killed and it is the desire for this kind of power that leads him to stray from the Jedi and into the hands of the Sith.

11. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Hey JND21 where you from?...i'm an ozzy!...ironic isn't it!:D

Cheers_Cazza@};-

12. VegaoftheLyre

VegaoftheLyre Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2005
    I find this thread really interesting. Master Deverly wrote In literature.. epics and such things there is always irony, a great one of this movie- Anakin turned to save padme, but the turning to the darkside killed padme.

You really hit the nail on the head.. although I would call it tragedy rather than irony. But I completely hear where u're coming from. One of the reasons I really loved ROTS so much was its going back to its epic, mythic roots... after all, SW is an epic/myth of the grandest proportions.:D

One of the central elements found in Greek tragedies is the idea that trying to avoid or change a terrible prophecy becomes the ultimate cause for the dreaded fate to come true. In Oedipus Rex, the King and Queen recieve an awful prophecy that their son will kill his father. In order to avoid this, they order the child to be killed but he is saved and raised in a neighboring city-state. A seer tells the young Oedipus that he will marry his mother and kill his father; this prophecy leads him to leave his home city and who he thinks are his parents. This, of course, eventually leads him back to Thebes where he kills his true father, the King, and later weds his own mother. In the same way, Anakin's premonitions spur him to find some way to reverse the dream... and of course this is the very thing that causes Padme's death which he feared so much.

Star Wars and especially ROTS are actually incredibly rich with mythic and archtypal ssociations. For a humble English/ Comp Lit major, such things sing joy to the heart.[face_love] More reason to love SW.

13. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005
    heh heh i concur, star wars should be made a mandatory english study in most highschools...a fun yet legitimate approach :-B

theres no shortage on online eassays highlighting the mythological context of star wars

14. OLDirtyJedi

OLDirtyJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    The real irony is that people have to be trained to handle the dogs that are trained to handle the people that cant handle themselves...

15. angelicusdiablos

Mar 10, 2005
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    True wisdom

16. OLDirtyJedi

OLDirtyJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    True wisdom is that which can recognize true wisdom

17. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Irony would have been like Rain on Padme and Anakin's wedding day...

Or paying for the transport to Naboo when it was free for them

Or Padme having 10,000 spoons but no knife to cut that damn fruit

Or a no smoking sign On Sleezbagganos break.

Or meeting Anakin, then meeting his Beautiful black suit.

Carnage

18. MasterDevery

Nov 19, 2005
    That was from a song now wasn?t it. The problem with that is that people confuss Irony with a situation that is a coincidence. Irony is Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs, but a coincidence is the state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space or a sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.
    Rain on a wedding day would be? a coincidence right?
    And having al spoons but no knife coincidence to?
    Its funny but I think in that song there is only a few real ironic situations.[face_mischief]

19. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "No that was Canadians. Allanis Morriset is from Canada."

Yeah, but she became assimilated by those damn Yanks years ago ;)

I just can't wait to see the women's/men's hockey at the Winter
    Olies next season lol

20. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Or is it ironic because Qui-Gon actually becomes the first Jedi to learn the path to immortality therefore not technically dying???

PS There is a thread in the saga forum about ironic occurences thru all 6 films

21. PADAWANOFANAKIN

PADAWANOFANAKIN Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2004
    Obi-Wan´s "Sith lordies are our especiality" is ironic!

22. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't consider it irony in terms of what the thread author said. When framed in terms of Obi-Wan's statement to Boss Nass that the Gungans and Naboo are in symbionce and what happens to one will surely happen to the other, then the death of Padmé has nothing to do with irony.

23. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    ~it's like ten thousand spoons, when all you need is a knife. it's like meeting the man of youre dreams and meeting his beautiful wife~

it is so ironic!

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    A little too ironic. Don't ya think?

25. MasterDevery

Nov 19, 2005
    But is that realy ironic or is it just a coincidence?

people mix them up, 10,000 spoons is a coincidence.. they both are coincidences!

Irony is when the opposite of expected happens, a coincidence is when an odd thing happens, "what a coincidence meeting you here"...

?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.