main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Island: A "Luke in TLJ" Teeth Gnashers Perspective (see warning on page 9 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by -LordSkywalker-, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, I have. We (i.e. the whole New Films management team) have discussed it together.

So let's by absolutely clear. This thread (i.e. "The Island") is for venting, rants, etc. from posters unsatisfied with Luke's portrayal in TLJ. The other thread (i.e. the Luke/Mark Hamill thread) is for regular discussion.

In short, this thread is for the sort of posts that would otherwise stall discussion in the other thread.

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    So to be absolutely crystal clear, this discussion forum has taken the position that people that hold a negative opinion of Luke’s portrayal in TLJ are not allowed to engage in normal discussion regarding Luke’s portrayal anywhere on this discussion forum?

3. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    Yep and this was done so Luke doesn’t come off as too strong/take all the glory and so all of that can be brought on Rey who can’t do no wrong and who doesn’t need Luke to begin with.

I don’t mind what Luke went through, but he should have been given one more movie to live and further redeem himself. Him dying, despite how visually and poetic it was should have been saved for the end of 9. That’s what doesn’t sit well with me.

You want it to be just Rey vs Kylo in 9 fine. Just have Luke tell Ray he can’t be the done to take Kylo down and it has to be her. And the relationship that we really didn’t see but wanted between them happens.

nightangel likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    No. This is not a leper colony. Anyone is free to post in the other thread, it just can't be in the form of rants and venting.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Except from what I’ve seen, posting a negative opinion results in people being told to leave. So, either people self censor, or no discussion?

6. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I could have bought everything they did with Luke if the reason for his fall in the first place was more convincing. The entire ST was built on why did Luke withdraw...and it all came down to he provoked Ben Solo into destroying his school because he was tempted to kill Ben over bad thoughts. They just failed to make the sale to me. If Ben or Snoke had done something incredibly heinous to Luke so as to send Luke that far over the edge, then I could buy it. But they failed to make me believe it. And they could have, but they failed.

ChildOfWinds, nightangel, MS1 and 7 others like this.
  7. DominusNovus

DominusNovus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 27, 2017
    Perhaps some examples on what might rise above the standard of ranting and venting? From my point of view, the discussion here is not mainly ranting and venting (though there is some of that), its critiquing. So, some guidance on where the line is, in general, might be helpful.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    nightangel and dick rodgers like this.
  8. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yes I would like to know as well since I feel there were times when people were discussing interpretations of what was on screen and nonetheless deemed to be “ranting”.

Darth Vain, MS1 and DominusNovus like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When a person's position basically boils down to "Regardless of anything anyone says I am never going to change my mind" and then simply repeats this position countless times it hardly constitutes "discussion".

We are not going to go around in circles in here. You want to complain about Luke's portrayal in the film... here is your thread to do so. The second this thread becomes about complaining about your right to complain it is no longer on topic. And it will be locked.

Use this thread to complain about the mishandling of Luke Skywalker until your hearts are malcontent.

Use the other thread if you feel that someone may actually have a chance at all of making a point that will not be responded to with expressions of unbridled sorrow.

Or don't use either. We aren't going to waste another page of this thread on complaints about the parameters of complaining.

Hate on TLJ or go involve yourselves productively in other threads.

The town hall meeting is concluded.

10. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    EDIT: wrote the below while Chrous Post directly above went out. Ignore what I wrote below obviously now.

———————-

I hate to be the jerk and add to conflict but since others are now requesting to have both a place where they can vent and rant negatively about Luke in TLJ without any counters allowed at all it seems only fair that the other thread remains the opposite of that.

Otherwise, the topic of Luke becomes disproportionately and intentionally skewed and promoted toward the negative.

Perhaps that catch all debate thread is better for anyone looking for that kind of experience?

Satipo likes this.
  11. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I find it pretty offensive that the "official" thread only allows praise of TLJ and no dissent. Maybe it should be closed as well and a new praise only thread opened.

I do remember all the heavy and often heated debates over the PT-I liked them myself even with their flaws, so this is nothing entirely new, but I think while they divided the fans to a degree, that TLJ has pretty much broken the fanbase and I don't see the series ever recovering. You don't destroy a character like Luke Skywalker and recover from that. A lot of fans are now lost or at least their fandom is severely diminished forever. I have no plans to see TLJ again, no plans to buy the blu-ray, I might not go see Solo, and I might not go see Episode IX.

12. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    Fair enough.

Back on topic, there were some points raised earlier about just when Luke reconnected to the Force. My guess is right after his confrontation with Rey, because Yoda only shows up after she left, and that's likely only because Luke "going back online" let him back in. I'm disappointed that they didn't feel it important to show the moment, because that for me would have been much more important than Yoda's callback to Luke's Dagobah training. It would have given Luke a moment to show personal growth back toward the man he was, as opposed to having suggesting through Yoda that he's learned very little in all these years.

13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    This is now off-topic. Consider this a warning.

14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wouldn't it be when he contacted Leia?

TK327 likes this.
  15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Again. Replying to help with confusion here. They DO show the moment very clearly. I wrote out a partial summary of it a page or two back. Luke goes into the temple by himself. Closes his eyes. It shakes. The water ripples. It cuts to Leia. She wakes up and says “Luke.” This is prior to Rey leaving. His first act is immediately connecting with Leia (and possibly even helping her to awake). He doesn’t show Force power prior and doesn’t sense Force power in Rey prior. He only realizes she’s more than a messenger when he observes her reacting to the ancient texts presence from afar and gravitating toward them. The ancient texts call out to her like how the saber did. Luke shows Force power after connecting with Leia.

ChildOfWinds, MS1 and TK327 like this.
  16. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Exactly. This could have been Rey's trial....to deal with Kylo. Just like Luke had to confront Vader and the Emperor. If Snoke is gone...Luke would just say it is her destiny, not his. That would have been very reasonable if LFL was worried about Luke "outshining" anyone.

17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    this is literally what it's come down to:(

DominusNovus likes this.
  18. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    If anyone else wants to bemoan our decision to provide a thread for ranting about Luke's portrayal in TLJ, we can continue this discussion in the Unban Requests forum.

19. MasterDekan

MasterDekan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 14, 2005
    That's when he first uses it again, briefly, yes, but I'm looking for when he fully commits to opening himself up to it again. There was an opportunity to how he arrives at that decision and what drove him to do it and I think the context would have added to his character growth.

Ren Kylo, ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  20. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I would have even went with, I can't kill my sister's kid, despite getting the urge to while back. But he has to be taken down. That's it. If Carrie was still here, I may have had different thoughts, but now it al just feels empty.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  21. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    Personally, I'm rooting for Kylo and the FO now. Not that I want Rey to die, but after 8 movies of sucking, I want to see a Skywalker win for once and Kylo is all we got. So I'm pulling for the "bad guys".

22. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    How do know that isn't him fully himself up to it again?

23. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I largely agree.

J. J. Abrams, of all people, is probably the only one who can fix that now. His Episode IX could pretty much invalidate TLJ with very little effort:

1. Have Force-ghost Luke meet Rey and tell her that this is their first meeting. All the stuff that Rey experienced on the Island was merely a Force-delusion foisted upon her by Snoke. Therefore Luke was never a loser. Instead, he went to the Island to engage in meditative practices that would change the galaxy at such a fundamental level that "going to the dark side" (as Vader and Kylo Ren did) would become henceforward impossible.

2. Everything Kylo Ren said was a lie.

3. Have there be plenty of Resistance forces in Episode IX. They simply didn't have time to get to Crait and/or were busy fighting elsewhere.

Annnnnnnnd...that would basically nullify TLJ except for Luke's death.

24. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016

Nah. Broom Boy gunna kill him. With his Luke action figure. TWIST BRO!

25. appleseed

Dec 5, 2002
    I could go either for that or for them just totally blowing it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.