main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The it's a loooong story thread version 2.0 - announcement 7/30 - pg6 - blue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Ahh... yeah, that all makes sense.

I'm going to PM you in a sec, if you don't mind, I have another question...

sg

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I think I'm going to finish my Stupid Fanfic Novel (SFN) tomorrow, after only 14 months of toil (not counting the stuff I wrote in 2002). I wanted to finish it today, but it was not to be. I guess July 4 is a good day to finish it. There will be fireworks to celebrate and everything. :D

3. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    You mean your Fabulously Wonderful Fanfic Novel (FWFN), don't you? ;) [:D]

Let us know when it's done so we can gripe viciously about it behind your ba- [face_whistling] erm... I mean congratulate you. :D :p

sg

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, independence day!

5. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
  6. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, I AM FREE AT LAST!!!

Independence Day . . . what a fabulous day to strike off the chains of the biggest, meanest, evillest plot bunny that ever bit me!

"Spirit Warriors of Angharad," which I will actually refer to by its real name for once, even *link* to, is done as of 19 minutes past the hour. It *only* ended up being 627 pages long in Word, and came in at just under 360,000 words.

I started posting it (this time) at 5/10/04 6:51pm board time; I made the last post 7/3/05 at 10:19pm, also board time. (It's 1:30 a.m. on 7/4 here, though, so I'm calling it a July 4 baby.) :D I *really* started it back in 2002, but who's counting?

The reality hasn't quite sunk in for me . . . even as I sat down to write this last post (which took a mere 6 hours) I was feeling like this novel would never end. I feel like going outside in my pajamas and rolling around on the lawn. I would, too, if I didn't live in a densely-packed apartment area next to a fairly busy road. (The rolling on the lawn thing might attract a *little* bit of attention.)

What am I going to do with 4-6 more hours in my day?! I have no idea. I'm all peculiar. I need to go take my medication. 8-}

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You have no idea how happy I am for you, even though I wish it could go on forever with your characterizations of Obi-Wan and Anakin and especially Yoda. Now, have you ever considered doing a co-write? I mentioned the wicked short story bunny that you gave me when mentioning Obi-Wan's first trip to seclusion and Anakin having to stay with Keme...

8. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    I'd think about it, especially if the story stayed well under 50,000 words, and we worked on your usual posting schedule instead of mine . . . 8-}

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, definitely. When first hearing about it, I went "hey, that could work in the same format as Between the Lines!" and then went "MUST NOT WRITE OPHELIA GENIUS LIKE AN ISH CRAP!"

10. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    ALLLLLLLLLL RIGHT!! Congrats Ophelia!!! =D=

:eek: Phew! 360,000 words, that's incredible!

So to take a page from "Kill Bill" (in this instance we'll call it "Finish Novel" ;) ) What do you feel more? Regret or relief? Does part of you feel regret as you miss writing it or are you just relieved it's over and done with?

sg

11. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Congratulations, Ophelia. =D= It must be a terrific relief to finally finish it. And that many words. Wow. Would you have ever started it if you knew it would be that long????

12. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Hey Ophelia - Even though I haven't read Spirit Warriors, I still feel the need to congratulate you. Anyone who has the stamina to write a 360,000 word epic deserves all the celebration that the 4th of July brings ;)

I'm looking forward to really getting stuck into the story once I've got on top of my other reading commitments here - it sounds like an absolutely wonderful read!

Congratulations on a marathon effort! :D

=D=

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Too bad there weren't fireworks on that story for Independence Day.

14. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Hello everybody,
    I've been a very bad lurker here for a long while, so I thought I'd finally act right and extend my greetings. Hope everybody's July 4th is going well. Cheers!

15. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Hey there! Welcome to the thread! :)

sg

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    360,000 day-um!

Awesome accomplishment, ophelia.

17. poor yorick

Jun 25, 2002
    Ish wrote: "MUST NOT WRITE OPHELIA GENIUS LIKE AN ISH CRAP!"

. . . says Ms. Nominated For Best Author. o_O

Meh, I say unto you.

Too bad there weren't fireworks on that story for Independence Day.

To me there will be. :D

spirigurl wrote:
    What do you feel more? Regret or relief? Does part of you feel regret as you miss writing it or are you just relieved it's over and done with?

I'm still in shock that it's over. :p I actually woke up this morning, blinked blearily at my ceiling, and thought, "Okay, gotta plan what's going to be in my SWoA post today . . ." I didn't realize the extent to which that novel had taken over every part of my life. I really did spend my "downtime" moments planning the next section, so I could just sit down at the computer and *go,* without having to stare at the screen for 15 minutes warming my brain up. I think I picked that habit up during student teaching, when I was so busy that I started dictating my writing into a digital recorder in the car. This would be the digital recorder that "transcribed" things about Jedi having their own varieties of medicinal cheese. That gobbledegook took so much time to fix that I don't think I came out ahead. :p

To answer your actual question . . . I think I'm relieved.

dianethx wrote:
    Would you have ever started it if you knew it would be that long????

No. :p

Thanks, Mjsullivan and RK_Striker_JK_5. :D It's especially amazing . . . disturbing? That I managed to impress *you* with the wordcount, RK. :p

I find your excess of words disturbing . . .

Welcome, JediMasterRev! [:D]

Also--FWIW, I added a "What's the Story"-like feature to the bottom of my ""I made this!" thread. It's explained more in the post . . . basically, it's a ripoff of an official site feature only available to paying members. There's a picture of something, and you make up a backstory for it. I thought it would be good for a few plot bunnies. :D

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I would say a bit of both, ophelia. I thought I was one of the wordier writers around here. Not so, it would seem.

And in all seriousness, congrats. Finishing an epic is something we all strive for.

19. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Some of us are crazy enough to strive for it more than once :p8-}

20. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I've been lurking in this thread and have found it within myself to delurk. I must first say congratulations to ophelia for finishing that monster! I didn't even read it, but you're my hero! :D Great job!

In terms of dialect, I've realized all my characters on my OC worlds (and I've made so many) speak English. :confused: Yeah, I realize its out of laziness. I also find that I don't quite care. I like reading about my characters in English. It does make it easier for me, but I think its a lot more fun than thinking of a language. I make different slang words, but the basic language is english.

:) Cool thread, btw. I've finished one novel and I have a couple more that are going to pass that mark and I've just started one that promises to be a monster.

Anyhow, hope you have a happy fourth!

-Krystal

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Congrats Ophelia! :eek: :D

Even if I'm going to avoid reading those last few posts until tomorrow. I don't need to be sobbing all night long :p I don't know what to do! And I still have to write another SotC chapter tomorrow before I leave [face_worried]

I may be sad, but I'm quite, quite happy for you.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ms. Not-eligible-for-Best-author because the crazy people in 2001 decided to repent for being complete jerks to me by giving me that award. Back then, there was no "best new author" and "best author," just "best author." So I was going up against JediGaladriel and Gandalfthegrey, the two people who intimidated the crap out of me. And then, on my b-day, they announced the winners and it was me. I was totally psycho as a result, ready to scream in joy/shock.

23. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Thanks for the warm welcome and congrats to Opheliafor completing the epic. Way to go!! Hope to be around here more often :).

24. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    : I was totally psycho as a result, ready to scream in joy/shock.

At least we know where it came from now. :D O:)

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.