The it's a loooong story thread version 2.0 - announcement 7/30 - pg6 - blue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    Congratchamalations, Ophie. I can only hope to possess such stamina as yours in the progress and hopeful completion of Power Play... [face_hypnotized]
  2. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    ...but I seem to have possessed plenty of it in killing the thread. [face_plain]
  3. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    I keep changing my mind on this world I'm building for the next episode. *sigh* So frustrating. :( Now I think it's going to have to be some sort of new language, which to say the least is intimidating. While it's certainly easier to just do "basic" it's not necessarily what makes sense for the story. Oh, well... I'll figure something out. One thing I was considering for this culture is using a lot of sign language, rather than vocal. Has that been done before?

I've posted a bit about this world I'm trying to put together in Ophelia's world building thread, any help would be apprectiated. :)

So, let's see... oh! Creatures! Where do you go for inspiration of new creatures as you build your worlds? I'll definitely be needing help with that.

sg
  4. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    Creatures? Well, what I've done in the past is examine the appearance of one animal's head/face and then tweak it a little bit, altering its size or features so it would look sufficiently alien and not too Earth-based. Then I conjure up the body and/or appendages of another animal or two (not necessarily one that still exists) and kind of hybridise, if you will. And I may give it more heads and/or appendages than what I started out with, if I really want to get nasty with it... [face_devil]

All right, folks...not to sound like a sorehead, but I can't bottle this. I'm teetering on the point of losing interest in writing Power Play because there's almost no interest in reading it. I've already gone three days without adding anything to it - that is not a good sign. If there's so much as one more warm body here who wants to see more of it, speak now or forever hold your peace.
  5. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    *Raises hand*

I would.

The story rocks. It kicks.
  6. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry, old friend, but I submit that the feedback quantity indicates otherwise.
  7. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    First off, I want to apologize Sebulba for not taking time to thoroughly read/reply to your story myself yet. I had planned on doing so about mid month (that was actually one of the things on my "to do" list for the coming weekend). I am sorry, the last thing I wanted this Epic of the Month thing to do is frustrate people :(

But let's take a step back and see how we can come up with ideas to help everyone here because I'm sure that others have felt frustrated by lack of response as well at one time or another. I know I've had that problem from time to time. Anybody who wants to chime in with their own opinons on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

What do readers want? What attracts them to a story? What turns them off?

Does size matter? :p I mean, is it better to start writing fan fic on a small scale (such as a vingette) so readers can get to know your work, and then move onto longer stories once you've proven yourself and gained readers interest and trust?

Why do you think that your current readers like YOUR epic?

How do you sustain a readership and help it grow through a long epic? Do you use an update PM list to keep reminding loyal readers about your story?

How often do you update your epic?

Approximately how many replies do you need per chapter to feel like you're getting enough response or to keep from getting frustated over a lack thereof?

When you are frustrated with your fic and/or lack of response, what do you do? Keep going and work through it? Throw out the story and move onto another idea? Take a break from the fic with some other writing, or other activity and then go back to the story later?

sg
  8. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
  9. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9

It depends. I have a lot of readers on one genre because it's both emotional and humorous, but has character development. But I also had a huge following for the story where I wrote Vader/Padme 10 years post-rots just because it played a lot with everyone's minds.

Does size matter? I mean, is it better to start writing fan fic on a small scale (such as a vingette) so readers can get to know your work, and then move onto longer stories once you've proven yourself and gained readers interest and trust?

I think it depends. I started out here by writing a 400-page epic and it was widely known at the time. I didn't start vignettes until later. Vignettes are a good way to explore different styles and get yourself out there a lot.

Because they're addicted to the way I make them all angst-ridden just thinking about what I'll do next.

How do you sustain a readership and help it grow through a long epic? Do you use an update PM list to keep reminding loyal readers about your story?

If I've got a strong following even in small numbers, I'll PM and/or encourage them. I also return the favor and post on their stuff so they know that I'm loyal where they're loyal to me.

Not often enough!

Approximately how many replies do you need per chapter to feel like you're getting enough response or to keep from getting frustated over a lack thereof?

Three.

When you are frustrated with your fic and/or lack of response, what do you do? Keep going and work through it? Throw out the story and move onto another idea? Take a break from the fic with some other writing, or other activity and then go back to the story later?

Write more or, if I'm so fed up that I can't take it any more, I write something else for a bit.
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    You guys actually keep track of how many words that your fics are?

No, when i saw this I got into my word file for my biggest story and hit 'word count'

Do you all other epic writers outline or not? If not, how do you keep track of things when your epic starts bludgeoning out of control?

I haven't before, but I think I might start. It gets confusing otherwise and I have to keep looking back to see what I've already done.

I think I'm going to finish my Stupid Fanfic Novel (SFN) tomorrow, after only 14 months of toil (not counting the stuff I wrote in 2002). I wanted to finish it today, but it was not to be. I guess July 4 is a good day to finish it. There will be fireworks to celebrate and everything.

Congratulations!!!! :D I know what its like to finish an epic--wonderful, and slightly sad. Though I didn't read it, you deserve a MAJOR clap on the back =D=

I've found that popular pairngs are good. Once you get a few loyal followers on a popular pairng, you can move on to OCs or someone not-so-popular and they'll follow you.

Does size matter? I mean, is it better to start writing fan fic on a small scale (such as a vingette) so readers can get to know your work, and then move onto longer stories once you've proven yourself and gained readers interest and trust?

Starting with a shorter story is probably better (though I didn't . . .)

Because there were pairings they liked and villains they could really hate.

I start conversations, go off-topic with them. I was going to keep a PM list, but I didn't want to deal with it. If people wanted one I would but no one has suggested it to me yet.

Whenever I have time to write a post. Except for one story that I completely finished before I posted, I don't have a posting schedule.

I hate the idea of not finishing. Sometimes I wait, and sometimes I update again in hopes that more people will see it.
  11. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    : What do readers want? What attracts them to a story? What turns them off?

Readers want to be entertained! Most of them anyways. I don't have a clue what attracts them, though... if I did, I'd be a lot more popular. ;)

: Does size matter?

I don't think so. I've seen one-shots get ignored, and newbies posting longer stories that get lots of attention.

: Why do you think that your current readers like YOUR epic?

I'd like to think it's because I have interesting characters, thought-out scenes, and a good plotline. The reality, however, is that they're just insane and, like me, just don't know when to quit.

: How do you sustain a readership and help it grow through a long epic?

I haven't a clue :p

: Do you use an update PM list to keep reminding loyal readers about your story?

Nope. I don't particularly care to recieve such updates, so I'm not about to foist them on someone else.

: How often do you update your epic?

Uh... infrequently. I'm terribly inconsistent.

: Approximately how many replies do you need per chapter to feel like you're getting enough response or to keep from getting frustated over a lack thereof?

Dunno. On another site I think I've been response-less for the last three chapters/posts.

: When you are frustrated with your fic and/or lack of response, what do you do?

I kill inoocent bystanders. Er, I mean, I just smile and go on, then complain about it to Ishy.
  12. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Um, actually, if you don't count me, you DO kill innocent bystanders (I'm the uninnocent one).
  13. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I wish I knew that one...

Does size matter? tongue I mean, is it better to start writing fan fic on a small scale (such as a vingette) so readers can get to know your work, and then move onto longer stories once you've proven yourself and gained readers interest and trust?
    Very first fic I posted was my epic Three New Sailor Senshi. It might've been better for me to start small to get more of an audience before I dropped the monster.

Well, it's a damned unique one. And I do listen to my readers and keep a regular update schedule going. Haven't missed a day in almost two years.

I PM people, but I have lost and gained readers along the way.

Three times a week. Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Two. That's all I ask for.

Haven't taken a break yet. I jsut pound out more and pray that someone reads it and is kind enough to keep reading it.
  14. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4

From my observation, what attracts readers here is mush and lots of it, especially when it concerns certain couples. A/P, L/M and J/J seem to top the list. As for what turns them off, that's a lot harder to say. Maybe there's too much violence, maybe there's mischaracterisation - people are very particular about their favourite players. I know poor spelling and grammar are a big turn-off, though. I don't think a day goes by when somebody doesn't suggest to a writer that they get with a beta. ;) Outside of that, I don't claim to know what turns people away from a fic.

Does size matter? :p I mean, is it better to start writing fan fic on a small scale (such as a vingette) so readers can get to know your work, and then move onto longer stories once you've proven yourself and gained readers interest and trust?

That's another toughie. I've seen writers jump on, write a million vignettes and have miles of avid readers behind them after a few months, hanging on for their every word. I've also seen writers jump on, start posting a long story, and get a few readers right away, then slowly accumulate more as the fic marches on. For the most part, it breaks even - it all seems to be a matter of content, integrity, and quality of writing. With longer stories, it also seems to depend on how often the author posts and how well they hold the readers' interest.

I only have three, but as near as I can tell, they like the drive and the intensity of the two main elements of the story. One is a Solo offspring adventure, the other is a crime drama, and I've cranked up the heat on both in recent posts.

Again, my readership is meager at best and always has been. The only way I can think to help it grow at all is to keep cranking out posts that are better than the previous one, in the hopes that somebody might delurk or randomly click over and become interested. I've considered sending out PM update notifications, but I didn't want to irritate the daylights out of anybody by flooding their PM inboxes with notes on updates. I felt that'd be more of a turn-off than an attraction.

Usually once every week or two weeks - whenever I've got a good big meaty post, preferably ending on a note that'll make readers want to find out what happens next.

I turn handsprings if I get four!

I've done all three in the past. With this fic, I'm really, really trying to work through it until a brighter light shines on it. In the past, writing for other fandoms, I've had a great many stories planned and drafted, which I never finished because I lost interest. Last fall, I took several forced breaks from writing because my previous employer was running me into the ground, but in more recent months a new employer has given me a lot more free time. I'm dubious of taking a break, though, for fear of losing the readers that I have. Gonna be a tough choice...
  15. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    What attracts them to a story?

Okay, maybe I can think of one thing I know of that seems to attract readers to my stories... having *COMPLETE* in front of it always seems to generate a few responses.
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, doesn't for me. Everyone assumes then that they can't take all that angsty crap at once.
  17. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    :cool: Great answers everyone, keep 'em coming!

Spelling errors are probably the number one turnoff. As for what attracts them, I'm not sure, Mush seems to do the best, as well as humor, and I do think that vignettes get more attention than series, if only because they're a lot faster to read. :p

As I indicated above, I suspect it is better to start small and gain a following. Although it is possible to gain a following starting with an epic, as I seem to have done at least on a small scale, but I suspect as my story gets longer and longer it's going to be harder and harder to get new readers.

A combination of Obi-mush, humor, angst, mystery, suspense, you name it I try to have it in there. :D I suspect that the main draw is the budding relationship between Obi-Wan and my OC though.

I do offer an updates list, that is to say I don't just PM anyone who posts in my fic, but I offer to put people on an updates list in my thread from time to time so not to annoy anyone who doesn't like PMs. I've got about 10 on that list now.

I think one thing that's been handy in getting new readers is the fact that I have differnt episodes and different threads for each episode. This way when I start a new one it's like I'm starting a new story and maybe someone will come take a peek at it and like it enough to go back and read the whole thing. ;)

I also started the fic in Before the Saga, then the second episode was during The Saga so I did that thread there exposing some different readers.

When I did the different threads I was careful to make sure the links to the other episodes are readily available in the thread. I also like to make little cover arts sort of that I present in the thread. It's both for fun and to hopefully catch the attention of a prospective reader.

When I'm going good it's like every one to two weeks. I'm notoriously slow. :( However, I think that actually works better with an epic to post a chapter and wait at least a week to get some people time to read what you have, and then post another chapter, wait another week or so, etc...

I'd say 3.

I take a break and do something else, sometimes it can be related to the story, like doing reseach for a future episode or chapter or something. I don't like to just sit there and force something out as a chapter because more often than not if I do that I don't like what I have. But if I'm stuck or something and I wait a bit and just sort of let the story play out in my head for a little while, very often something will just hit me and I'll wind up coming up with something I really really like and consequently my readers usually like. :D

sg
  18. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, the questions...

In general, what other readers probably want is what I want as a reader - good plot, characters that are real enough to step off the page, spelling, grammar and proper editing. In longer stories, I want foreshadowing and character development/change, a beginning and an ending.

I don't think size really matters at all. I follow a number of writers that write only very short stories. I also follow writers that write stories and then sequels and it adds up if you count all the stories in their universe.
    However, as a beginner, I would say to start small. Enter challenges, too, so that your name becomes recognizable. When I read that a new person is going to start an epic, I often don't read it because I'm not sure they will finish it.

For my own long story, I have no idea. I suppose because it's AU and yet has something of the real world in it. Or maybe they just like my descriptions - I love description.[face_blush] I do have a few very loyal readers. I think they are out of their minds but I love them anyway!

I have a very short PM list - only of people who requested that they be notified.
    As for sustaining readership, I don't really try. Like I said, I have a few loyal readers and others that come in and out of the thread. I also have a few lurkers that have admitted that they lurk. I'm writing the story mostly because I have said that I would and that I would finish it. I'm determined to do so even if there were two readers or one.

Not nearly enough to satisfy my readers or myself. Maybe once a month. I am a very, very slow writer. I work on fics every day but it takes forever for an update. Plus I get sidetracked with challenges and plot bunnies as well. Luckily, my readers are very understanding.

I must admit that I get enough replies that I'm always happy. In my earlier days here, when I was a green newbie, one or two replies would have been enough. Now, depending on the story, I get anywhere from 5 to 30 replies. For my epic, I get at least 5 per post and a PM or two for shyer folk.

I get frustrated with it a lot, not because of lack of response but because I just can't seem to write faster. I try to keep going when that happens but if it lasts more than a few days, I take a break and either work on another story or work on one of my other hobbies. I always come back to it because I will finish the darn thing. No matter what.

Interesting questions...
  19. Rose_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4

I think a good story. When i look for something to read it needs to be interesting, with good characters and easy to sink my teeth into. What turns them off? well i know what turns me off is not updating often enough, or horrible spelling where it's almost illegible. Author noes in the middle of a paragraph drives me nuts.

I don't think it matters. It should be about what an author feels comfortable to write. When i started i felt comfortable with longer stories because i felt it gave me more time to play around with things. Some authors only write short stories, and if there comfortable there then they should stay there. I couldn't write a short story to save my life, because i don't know how to shrink things into something that compact.

I don't know why, but i'd like to think it's because i write a story thats fun to read. That waiting to see what happens to my characters is what brings them back. I hope it's because my stories aren't from the cookie cutter world of fanfic, and that it's because there different

I've gained and lost alot of readers in the course of my 2 year epic, and now the sequel. I do use a pm list for the readers who want it. I think a reader has to want to come back to read, i think sometimes there is nothing you can do

every sunday

Five, Any less than five i think the post wasn't that good.

I work through it. I talk to my beta, and they normally help. Or i ask my readers what they think i could do better.

20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I have a question: when you see a story and see that its either really long (like 50+ pages) or that it has a prequel, are you turned off?
  21. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I'm not, unless I don't like the writing or the author chooses to be rude to me on a consistent basis. Usually, that doesn't happen to me much.
  22. VadersMistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    when you see a story and see that its either really long (like 50+ pages) or that it has a prequel, are you turned off?

No. I usually choose the story based on the skill of the author and the storyline, not the length. :D Good question, though.
  23. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh yes, there's one thing I forgot that my few coveted readers enjoy about Power Play: the uncounted acres of unresolved sexual tension between Jacen Solo and one of the OCs (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Anne Hathaway, so that helps ;)).
  24. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    when you see a story and see that its either really long (like 50+ pages) or that it has a prequel, are you turned off?

Depends. If it is an author I haven't read before, I'm less likely to click just because my time is so limited. If it's an author I really like, I'll be in heaven because there will be more story to read but, even then, I might put off reading the really long story for time's sake.
  25. KrystalBlaze Force Ghost

star 5

The main turn-on, IMO, is characters. For example, I am loathed to go into a pre-ROTS Anakin story because Anakin's character doesn't really interest me. However, whenever I see the name Obi-Wan pop up in a thread header, I'm almost jumping to go in. I think readers want to see their favorite characters in the situations they like the most or are most interested in learning about. I think bad characterization and a weak plot line REALLY turn people off. If you can't believe in the plot, then you're not so taken with beliving your favorite character should be in it.

I think size does matter if you're looking to build a readership (well, I don't have one, so what do I know? ;) ). But mainly I think the writer shouldn't care what the hell the reader thinks. I'm one of those who thinks a writer should write for themselves, so I think they should write until they can't write anymore. If you're up for a monster fic as your first, then go for it.

Well, this doesn't really apply to me because the epic isn't posted yet... but my beta likes it! :D And my last novel (not really an epic) didn't get that many readers... but the ones who did, I think, liked the pairing and the mystery. ;)

I never do a PM list because my computer is too slow and I'm too lazy. ;) With my last novel, I'm not sure how I maintained the readers I did. I went on like a three month hiatus, and when I came back, the readers were still there for some odd reason. I guess they liked what I did. :)

When I finish this epic I'm working on, I'll update once every week or so. For my last novel, it happened whenever I finished a chapter, which ranged from two days to like four months.

I always like replies, and since mine come in such a few amount, I'm always eager for any! :D The good thing with me, for some reason, is that I don't care about a response. It keeps me from getting frustrated. A writing for me kind of thing.

I'll twist that question around to when I get irritated with a lack of originality in my plot. When that happens, I set aside what I'm working on for a while, write some vigs, watch a very angsty movie, and come back to it. I swear, this Quotations challenge gave me a HUGE jump start on my epic. :)

That's it from humble me. :)

-Krystal
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.