The it's a loooong story thread version 2.0 - announcement 7/30 - pg6 - blue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Nice, ophelia!

Dumb question, but how do you choose epics of the month?
  2. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    well if I get PMed a nomination (which happened in this case) I will try to get that story in when I can. Without Noms, I was planning on going with one from Beyond, then one from The Saga (this month) and if I don't get a nom from someone for next month likely I'll try to pick something from Before the Saga to be as fair as possible.

sg

edit: just adding without Noms I'll be going to the loooong story index to find a candidate myself. All the more reason to get all your epics listed... ;)
  3. Twich Force Ghost

star 1
    Hello! Popping in to say hi! I've got an Obi story that I *thought* was long...but it's currently at page 43 and only a mere 23,000 or so words. (Although I doubt I'm even halfway yet) but still...doesn't even come close to that 300,000 word mark! That's HUGE! So...do I now find myself an author that doesn't fit in short story but not epic either?? *eek*
  4. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Last I checked, 20,000 words was the fanfic awards' lower limit for "epic." (Unless I've lost my mind--which is quite possible.)

So there are epics, and there are things done by psychotic people.

BTW--as of today I've added a link to a MS Word version, 100% story without reader replies, etc. It's on the first page of the story. If I were really good I'd have it all broken up into 23 separate chapters, but as it is it's a single 2.25 MB download. Not so bad for folks with cable or DSL, but a pain for those with dial-up. If you have a dial-up connection and want a copy, I can e-mail you a zipped version. Just let me know you want it--my e-mail address is in my bio.

And thanks so much for including my labor of insanity, sg. :)
  5. Arin_Atona Force Ghost

star 4
    Ophelia! Long time no see :p

Congrats on the teaching job, BTW ;)
  6. Sebulba2179 Force Ghost

star 4
    Best of luck to you, Ophie.
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  8. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    *bump*

So has anybody checked out the Epic of the Month?

I'm sorry I've not been here lately, I've been having some DRL issues that I need to deal with. I will try to have a new Epic of the month for next month, if anyone has any nominations PLEASE PM me.

sg
  9. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    I've decided to put the epic of the month thing on hold for now until I can get back to posting more, which probably won't be soon. :( Doesn't seem like the idea has been working out too well or like people were particularly intersted in it anyway. :(

sg
  10. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9

Mine's the latter ;)

That looks really good, even though I'm not one for the Saga. I think I'll have to check that out in my spare time (yeah, right, spare time).
  12. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Eeek, why haven't I visited this place before? :oops: Epics? Yay!

LOL! Dunno which one I am yet... but I have two extremely long plot bunnies that have gotten quite tangled up at the moment and I'll be spending a lot of time untangling them. :)

13. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I'm helping spiritgurl with this since she's been really busy lately.

So, time for a new topic. When you start out writing a story, do you know that it's going to be an epic, or does it just sort of happen?
  14. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    For me, it's a bit of both. I plan my stories, so I know sometimes when they're going to be long but then I get a plot bunny and it has subplot bunnies and it keeps growing and growing until it turns into an epic, but I can always see the light at the end of the tunnel since I always plan my endings.
  15. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Same with me. Sometimes I know something's going to turn into an epic and other times it starts out in my head as something short and relatively sweet and all of a sudden it turns into a monster.[face_plain]

Such as life sometimes.
  16. DarkDroid Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just passed 50 000 words on my far future epic, Far Beyond (with a goal of around 200-300 000 words), and just started work on my new post RotJ AU epic, The Inglorious Vision, which will be just as big as Far Beyond. :)

As for the topic, when I start a fic, I know for sure it's going to be an epic or not. If a short story or whatever turns into an epic, I split it up into several short stories.
  17. wendynat Jedi Knight

star 3
    In celebration of passing 50,000 words in my current WIP, Severing the Past, I decided to pop on in here :).

When you start out writing a story, do you know that it's going to be an epic, or does it just sort of happen?
    I generally know it will be long, but not usually the word count (i.e. I know in the beginning that it'll be over 60K words, but not exactly sure what count it'll be when it's over). I always know my ending before I'm past the first chapter and I generally know the major plot points/scenes that I'll be hitting along the way. On occasion, a subplot will appear while I'm writing that becomes a major plot point, which can affect the word count.
  18. Azeria_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello! I'm been slowly putting up posts of rather epic fanfic on the board and as of three days ago I have snared my first responces! I'd like to personally thank, VaderLVR64 and Mystralgurl. There will be a long post up for you later today to thank you for making me want to continue. I was getting rather sad with no posts from readers on my fic. So, thank you again! for reading my Untitled fic!

When you start out writing a story, do you know that it's going to be an epic, or does it just sort of happen?
    I always know. If it's a small idea, like the exploration of a character's particular feelings on something, I don't have the mind power to create a 100,000,000 epic around such a thing. So I'll usually create a few posts story around it. But if I have an idea like, say, "What if Anakin never turned to the darkside?" THAT is a VERY large onion to peel! Could go on for years exploring that one.

Cheers!
  19. ladylaurel18 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm ressurecting this, because I'm not sure where else to put this question.

When writing a long fic, where do you start? Do you have some sort of lead-in before the story really starts? Why? what does it accomplish? How do you write such a lead-in?

I just noticed that I was lacking a beginning in the long fic I'm working on, so here I am, asking people who have actually written these plot monsters before...

20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I like to start off with something dramatic, but not action packed. Cliffhanger at the end of the first post kinda thing.
  21. Stormtrooper_TK-421 Jedi Master

star 4

eghads...well, I'll give a little background to what happened when I *tried* to write an epic...

I wrote a little ten chapter J/Z story ('bout forty pages on Word, there's a link to it in my profile), and decided I wanted to take my alternate timeline and carry it on to epic perportions. I wanted to write a trilogy, beccause I had seen one of my good friends on the boards doing it, but it sadly was very short lived... :( I think I got a few chapters in, but I just started getting confused, and my writine was starting to get *way* below my ability, which meant that I had given up on the project, I just hadn't noticed it yet.

so...in an attempt to save my name, and improve my writing quality, I launched a fic called 'If we came back from hell' (link in my profile, if anyone wants to even check out a few chapters of it). It was a 1st-person story, and eventually I ended up using some of the same characters and plot elements that I had wanted to use in my trilogy, *except* I did it in one story. I, of course, changed things to fit my story line. the story ended up being about 84 pages in Word, which isn't really epic, but the longest story that I've written so far ;)

so to answer the question...I think you just need to write what your story is. If your story is an epic, write it like an epic. If your story is a novella, write it like that. If it's a vig that you *want* to be a novella or epic...keep it as a vig, dude, it'll save you a lot of frusteration ;)

---

but, as far as what I'm writing now, I'm working on a very odd, almost cult project in the 'Saga' forum (consult my sig below). It's a *very* strange story, and I doubt it'll be epic, but it's still been interesting to write so far (although I only have the first chapter written and posted so far :( )

and then there's this Rouge Squadron project I'm working on but haven't posted yet, which will probably be like 60-70 pages, I'm guessing. But, on to the project that I'm *really* exited about right. It's my second shot at an epic that I haven't posted any of yet. It's K/J, and it pits them in a *very* interesting situation... [face_worried] it's a very different kind of epic (being that it takes place on one planet), but I think the themes and the whole struggle and plot of the story are very out there, very epic, very ironic, and almost creepy in some places. It should be good, and I'm hoping that I'll end up getting a lot of readers (and yes...I know when you're hoping for tons of readers you usually don't get them, but I can still hope :p )

This is a very interesting thread. I'm enjoying it very much so far from what I've seen of it. :)
  22. AlisonC Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, if we're defining epic as 20,000 words or longer, then yes I have one (around 30K) and soon to be two (don't know exactly but 30-40K sounds about right, and they COULD be considered a single story, maybe). The longest one I ever wrote was about 80,000, decent novel-length but hardly huge, and that wasn't even Star Wars. (I'm not counting a godawful Dune fic I wrote five years ago that went over 100K and not even finished.)

As for whether or not I know they're going to be long stories or not ahead of time - generally, yes. I don't really write short chaptered stories; everything is either under 5000 words and a one-shot or else it's at least a novella. I plan out the chapters, and while the chapter count and length changes some from the initial planning to the end of the rough draft, it doesn't change category.

As much as I'd love to get well into the 6-digit ranges, I don't think I can maintain a single fanfic that long, but this is partly due to my writing pattern - my stories are generally plot-driven, meaning that subplots of characterization scenes with little effect on plot aren't likely to happen, and I don't do a whole lot of description. Sithstrike could have easily gone to 40K or even 50K if I did that, but it's not my style. However, there's a first time for everything, so maybe I will end up in the six-figures some day - in word count.

Edited for typo.
  23. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Then, I, too, wrote an epic. The Final Battle, which I can say is the longest fic that I wrote by epic proportions, is around 50k and still counting. It'll probably hit 60k once I'm done with the action scenes at the end and start counting the ending that I wrote. *gulps* I think I'm scared of my own fic.
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Then submit them to the Index!!
  25. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    I forgot to post this. Sorry.

Three New Sailor Senshi has been finished-at 327,055 words total.

And I might, just might restart it next year.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.