main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Jabba Rescue- exciting, ridiculous, or just too long?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Polydroxol, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    I say its exiting. One of the best action moments in the saga ;)

The sith/jedi storyline gets its fair due in ROTJ anyway. IMO

Force Smuggler and Iron_lord like this.
  2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    New

I don't think I would agree. I've seen better.​

3. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I agree. Far better action scene than what the newer movies have shown us (even with the wonders of CGI).

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  5. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Well then... we disagree... still think its awsome [:D]

6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I love the scene- even if Luke's plan doesn't make much sense, I still enjoy it a lot.

7. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Exciting, ridiculous or too long... All of the above. Next!

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Specifically just the skiff escape was one of the few moments in the OT that captured the Errol Flynn style swashbuckling that Lucas has said he was so fond of. An intensity of action but with levity, it wasn't particularly burdened with a great deal of meaning or resonance for the characters.

Honestly I'd have liked ROTJ to start with stuff similar to that which we saw in Shadows of the Empire (at the expense of the redwood forest hijinks) instead of them just immediately feeing Han. Leia, Lando, Luke and Chewie at least doing the tail end of their detective and prep work for the rescue attempt.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I definitely don't agree. I've seen better in both trilogies.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still really fun to watch.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You know, I checked, and the rescue's not actually that long - about 35 minutes or so.

12. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I think most people forget that Empire finishes on a cliff hanger and it's a personal rescue that doesn't go to plan - then BANG - The Battle of Carkoon is the climax of that rescue.

How many other things in the OT never go to plan? It's the essence of storytelling (or in Jedi's case - big re-writes in contrast to the original story). Would most prefer a 15 minute rescue. I don't recall many complaining in the 80's or 90's.

Whether it goes to plan or not or it drags out - there have been far worse moments in the saga (The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones as a whole that just get drawn out with a few action scenes and some silly character CGI).

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think part of the reason for the perception that it drags is that it does seem like it takes a while before Luke arrives and the action actually starts. First the droids show up, then we get a random musical number, then Leia and Chewie show up... Luke doesn't arrive until 22 minutes into the film. By 22 minutes into every other Star Wars film, we've had at least one iconic action sequence occur.

14. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    ANH and ESB, yes. As far as the prequels go, no. I did not see any action scenes in the prequels that matched it's excitement and fun. Most of the prequel action scenes were too over the top.

fuzzbox77 and Sarge like this.
  15. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Hands down exciting! I love the soundtrack that goes with it. It's the first point in the OT where you see that Luke is a Jedi and he has a chance against Vader.

Maybe a bit too long but more exciting.

TOSCHESTATION, Mr. K and Darth_Nub like this.
  16. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    I think it's great, and makes a change from the Empire being the standard enemies.

TOSCHESTATION and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I like it, feels kinda like a clone wars episode which is cool :)

cwustudent likes this.
  18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Goodbye. Enjoy your weekend off.

19. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Exciting. The music is incredible.

cwustudent, fuzzbox77 and Mr. K like this.
  20. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    I didn't like it was too long, but when I think about it could have been a little faster.

21. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    A lot of Jedi feels like filler to me. But the sail barge part is good; the first time we see Luke with any real power

22. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    In dry, story-analytical terms, you can argue that the whole Han rescue takes up way too much time that should be spent on Rebels vs. Imperials, but I just enjoy it too much. And I actually enjoy the earlier, Jabba's Palace segment as well as the sand barge fight. Yeah, I don't grasp just how some of the rescuers' actions furthered their goals, but it worked, so I just assume they were right according to some sort of technical reasons there was no call to tell viewers. It's just have too much fun to wish it gone. The only thing I dislike is the gargly-voice musical number in the SE.

Yanksfan likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think Jabba could have used some more intimidating-looking henchmen. His minions in the movie look quite silly.

Sarge likes this.
  24. b3av3r

b3av3r Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2014
    I will always be biased about this scene because it was by far my favorite as a kid. I watched it over and over and over again. I thought Luke grabbing the plank, flipping back on the barge, and catching the lightsaber was the greatest thing ever filmed.

I think it was good to go ahead and wrap up what happened to Han at the beginning of the movie so they could dedicate more time to it. If it occurred later in the movie then it could definitely be shortened up a good bit.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  25. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    You aren't a mod over at The Star Wars Underworld are you?

*I weep for the future of fandom*