main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The Jabba Rescue- exciting, ridiculous, or just too long?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Polydroxol, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    over the years I began to feel it had nothing to do with the real story that was going on with the Empire, Vader and Luke. IDK really. It's exciting, and picking up from TESB they had to show Han's rescue.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

What, because he liked the cartoon?

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008

Exactly! The Clone Wars is great! :)

So why would you weep for the future of fandom, eh fuzzbox?!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Back on topic, people. Thanks

5. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    The Jabba rescue was and is my favorite part of the movie.

solo77 likes this.
  6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    It's the first act of a three act play, so personally I think it's fine (I'd even like it to be longer - Luke in the cave and the sandstorm being in there)

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Exactly. The whole Hoth sequence took up the first fifteen minutes of the film, before the Empire found out where they were and came gunning for them.

Andy Wylde and solo77 like this.
  8. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Here too. Is the best part of ROTJ.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I really enjoyed this part of the film, and it always reminded me of an extended James Bond style beginning as it doesn't involve the main story of the movie. So it was a nice departure from the rest of the films structures.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It feels like a made for TV special to me, in the same vein as the Ewok movies except lacking the charm. I do find it a bit tedious. Even the action is kind of wonky given that Luke reminds me of a little kid swinging for homers with his wiffle bat saber.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, he's only had short period of time to use a Lightsaber. He hasn't had the years that the Jedi before him had. So that would actually make sense that he doesn't look as natural as he could.

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Comparing anything to the Ewoks movie(s) instantly makes said argument null and void :D

13. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Exciting! No doubt.

14. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    My perspective on it has changed as I got older.

As a kid, I loved it. Actually, I thought it was really scary, but that's why I loved it. I remember being in theater, and being genuinely frightened for R2 & C3PO as they went through that massive door into that forboding place, filled with all sorts of unsavory creatures. And I felt equally scared when Leia was sneaking around as the guards slept (of course, I didn't know it was Leia at the time, but I was still scared. My mother knew it was Leia by the way she walked, but anyway, I digress....) Watching Luke fight the Rancor was another frightening moment. And then the whole sail barge sequence was great fun.

As I got older, though, obviously the scariness of the scene has worn off. Now I just see some pretty stiff puppets, some actors lumbering around in cumbersome costumes, and a claymation rancor. It's a shame what happens to our imagination as we age. Worse yet, logic kicked in, making the rescue plan just seem overly convoluted. And, the whole thing seems like filler, when the time could be better spent on things that are more vital to the overarching story.

So I'm not sure how to judge it. As an adult, I don't care for it so much, but Star Wars isn't really MEANT particularly for adults. I loved it as a kid, so, in fairness, it should score pretty highly for that, I guess.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    My favourite part of the movie also.

16. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    I always assumed that Jabba knew about Luke's plan and was playing along at first. He shows up pretty fast after Leia frees Han... and seems to yell Surprise! One creature has 3PO's mouth covered so he cant warn them. Jabba figured out about it somehow and played along but I think he let his pride get to him and didnt fully fear a Jedi. He has seen actual Jedi before so I'm sure he had killed a few before. He was not worried about it and he laughed at Luke's attempt to use a jedi mind trick. That is what ultimately got him killed.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Jabba didn't know all of Luke's plan. He had either figured it out or Boba clued him in that Bouush was not the real deal. Being that both are bounty hunters and Fett was the best, he probably grew suspicious and decided to do some checking aboard Slave I.

Andy Wylde and Darth Bradius like this.
  18. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014
    Not the biggest fan of the whole Jabba's Palace sequence myself. I like the swashbuckling sail barge stuff near the Pit of Carkoon in essence, but I gotta agree that Luke's swinging that lightsaber around like a baseball bat, in that it never really slices through anyone. Every time Luke hits someone they just fall over. Is the blade set to stun?

I agree that Luke's plan is convoluted and it ends up seeming like a lame attempt to reintroduce the main characters before wrap the series up. It's unfortunate but the whole opening sets up the silliness that follows throughout the rest of the film with the bad Han/Leia acting and the Ewoks. When I watch ESB and then ROTJ it's just really hard to take ROTJ seriously (aside from the Luke/Vader/Sidious stuff) and this scene has a lot to do with all of that.

Gah, ROTJ just frustrates me.

Samnz likes this.
  19. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I've always loved it. Well, besides Jedi Rocks and the weird Sarlac Pit.

20. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    It was necessary to rescue Han, but the entire Sarlaac sequence may have been overkill. We had already watched Luke defeat the Ranco, did we need him being threatened to be fed to the Pit of Carkoon? Also, if there was no Might Sarlaac scene, Boba Fett would not have been subjected to such a shameful defeat.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

I almost agree completely with all of this. But while I agree Luke's plan seems pretty nonsensical, I actually *like* the Jabba sequence. For me, the movies goes steeply downhill once they leave Tatooine. But I actually agree with your criticisms about the whole sequence, too. *shrug*

22. Darth Bradius

Darth Bradius Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 27, 2014

Kenobi chops off an arm in the Cantina in AHN. Couldn't Luke have cut off at least ONE ARM on the sail barge? C'mon George, you put a blaster in an Ewok's hand, at least make Luke's lightsaber seem like more than a whiffle ball bat.

Yanksfan likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was the best that could be done in an era before PG-13.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    it was a bit long and I never liked jedi rocks but overall it was ok

25. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009