main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jacen Solo Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by killfire, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    In terms of the Force (or any other "magical" thing) knowledge (enlightenment) IS power.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I certainly think so. He's so engrossed in this quest for knowledge. He leaves the Jedi and experiments with every possible way of using and thinking about the Force. In the end, he remains unsatisfied, but has no where else to turn.

I would love that. Much better than a fatal confrontation with Luke.
    But it's the definition of what true power is that separates the good from the bad.

Please do not post spoilers.

3. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    Sorry I meant not my favourite character.
    Although like I say I appreciate his dedication to his child.
    It's all Luke's fault anyway he showed the wrong example by marrying Mara.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    He also indulged the hell out of him.

5. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006
    I agree totally. If Luke is to die I hope it's by the consequences of his own mistakes.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    We can't even post blacked out spoilers now? I should go read this new policy...

And no, I don't want Luke to die as a consequence of his own mistakes. I'd prefer him to make up for them and die a shining example of the Jedi Order.

7. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Silver_mane: He obviously gets concerned if your PC starts doing DS actions, so I see him as jaded but still lightside underneith it all.

He?s closer to the light side than Krea, but he doesn?t exactly have any qualms with throwing Force Lighting around either. He just has problems with truly malevolent actions. (btw, I don?t see grey as a side; more an easy way to describe a character?s lack of adherence to one extreme or another)

BobaMatt: Well those of us who see Jedi wisdom in excommunicating members of the Potentium for heresy have seen Jacen as having fallen a long time ago...

The potentium is not the Dark Side. Even if anyone in the story had ever expressed the idea that Jacen follows the Potentium (which hasn?t happened, IIRC), it would merely mean he, like all the grey people I mentioned, is merely on the path to one side or another. He?s not there yet.

As far as Jacen?s justifiable actions in regard to Ta?a Chume: that isn?t even close to the more worrisome things he?s done. A: Jacen had no better option; B: Ta?a Chume deserved what she got. Try using examples of things he did unnecessarily. Jacen?s (largely unnecessary) manipulation of various members of his own family is far more worrisome, as it indicates a clinical antisocial disposition. That is what will lead him to the Dark Side, not the neutralization of a threat to his child in the only way open to him.

P.S. When could you post blackout spoilers in non-spoiler threads in lit? Have I really been gone that long?

8. Darth_Angle

Jan 13, 2006

I was agreeing with your statement about Luke indulging certain members of the Order. I never thought that you meant that you wanted the samething I "hoped" for.

However if it does happen it will be all Luke's own fault.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, you never could post spoilers in non-spoiler threads ever...

As for the Potentium... you are semantically correct that Potentium != Dark Side. However, that is merely a semantic argument as adherents of the Potentium all -- ALL -- will fall to the Dark Side or have an intervention staged before that point hits.

And, honestly, if you believe that Jacen had "no better option" for Ta'a Chume then clearly you don't believe that Jacen is a Jedi because for a Jedi -- there is ALWAYS a better option. ;)

10. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    However, that is merely a semantic argument as adherents of the Potentium all -- ALL -- will fall to the Dark Side or have an intervention staged before that point hits.

So not all of them fall. You?re playing this like a politician. ALL OF THEM FELL....except the ones who didn?t.... You?re emphasizing one aspect of the situation, and downplaying the other. The fact is that people have gone both ways.

And, honestly, if you believe that Jacen had "no better option" for Ta'a Chume then clearly you don't believe that Jacen is a Jedi because for a Jedi -- there is ALWAYS a better option.

That was the better option, dp4m. Killing her was the obvious option, as was letter her get arrested (again?while already being under arrest?seems like a rather stupid option to me). What Jacen did was the third option that being a Jedi provided for him.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's not a politician spin. All WILL FALL to the Dark Side without intervention. How is that politician spin.

Ummm... how is brain death not really death? Talk to physicians...

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think what he means is that the only way to avoid the darkside is to stop adhering to the Potentium. If you adhere to that philosophy, you will go dark, even though you'll deny it.

As for it never being explicitly stated that Jacen follows the Potentium: While Jacen does not adhere to its nuances and perfect form, the fact remains he shares enough viewpoints with it to consider his particular views to be a similar heresy.
    The fact of the matter is that torturing her with the Force and then causing her brain to hemmorhage are not actions a Jedi would take. There may be more difficult ways to go about things - ways that are not quite as "fast and more seductive" - but the ends here do not justify the means. It's like his desire to destroy all the Killiks, just wipe them out. Sure, that would end the war, but it's not the right thing to do.

13. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    I don't want to go too far off-topic here, but don't automatically associate beards with hippieness. It makes Kyle Katarn upset. And when Kyle Katarn gets upset... people die!

Anyway, Jacen Solo is acting strange because he was replaced by Jacen Solo. And Jacen Solo replaced Jacen Solo because Jacen Solo told him to.

Things get weird when you introduce time travel into the equation.

14. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    [face_worried] that actually made sense to me.

15. MiniRogue

MiniRogue Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    ironically, that did to me to

16. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    *comes in singing*

"Jacen's his own grrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddddddpaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Heh. [face_peace]

17. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Nah. He's his own great-grandpa. Forget about the Force. It was Jacen who did the Aing-Tii time travel thing, went back and impregnated Shmi. [face_devil]

...... what? :p

18. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    So the Skywalker line easily falls to the darkside due to birth defects from incest.:p

19. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001

Which leaves only one solution: Wipe them out. All of them.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Do not hesitate. Show no mercy.

21. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    *Hops up and down*

Oh, Oh Pick ME, Pick ME... have Gun will Travel.

22. Silver_mane

Jun 13, 2005
    My insides are hurting due to these past 5 posts. *kilt ded from laughter*

The Skywalkers/Solos should be on Jerry Springer, especially Jacen, with all his warped KFC thinking.

How much you want to bet his time travel/projection ability will be a Dues Ex Machina in Legacy?[face_laugh]

23. Rohniss

May 9, 2005
    You mean like Zonoma Sekot.. yeah probally depends on how deep of a hole the authors dig themselves :D

24. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Totally. But, if reports are to be believed, it appears as if Del Rey is actually executing this series correctly: fewer authors and fewer books. That gives them the opportunity to actually do some indepth, long term planning for the whole series rather than a book-by-book basis as the case seemed to be in the NJO.

25. Silver_mane

Jun 13, 2005
    True, to both posts, but I still have the feeling the time skipping/surfing will have a role to play in Legacy. Rohniss, dont you mean how deep characters dig holes for themselves? [face_shhh] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.