main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Jade Prophecy - L/M, H/L Thank you to the readers!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Chapter One

Mara Jade settled the YL-9000 cargo ship down into the docking bay and powered down in the cockpit, securing the ship. She unstrapped herself from the crash webbing and stood up, stretching the stiffness out of her back and shoulders.

She had spent six days on this last assignment?three days less than what she was allotted and one day less than the goal she had set for herself. She had navigated through the Kessel Run by herself for the first time, and she was feeling a rare sensation of self-congratulatory euphoria.

Contentment and satisfaction were thin on the ground these days for Mara. Three years after the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of Emperor Palpatine and she was no closer to her goal of killing Luke Skywalker than she was on the day the Empire fell. Mainly, she went through periods of intense, focused preparation alternating with short-lived periods of despair. When she was in preparatory mode she would spend all her spare time training, and practicing her combat skills or doing more research on Luke Skywalker?s whereabouts and habits?studying her prey. At other times?her more dangerous periods of despair?she would take on the more dangerous jobs offered to her by the shipping conglomerate as a way to work off steam.

Luke Skywalker.

She scowled a little as she thought of him and then reached up behind her head to readjust the braid of her long, red hair. She felt into her pocket for the small credit data card she carried, bent down to pick up her small bag, and then checked the ship one last time before she exited into the bright sunlight of the docking bay.

?Jade,? a small-statured Devaronian with very mean features and bright green horns approached the ship.

?Tensoq,? Mara returned the greeting.

?You have the card??

Mara pulled out the data credit card, but held it just out of reach. ?And my payment??

?You?ll get it,? Tensoq snarled.

Mara closed her fingers around the card and raised a skeptical eyebrow. ?When? This card doesn?t leave my hand until I see proof of my payment.?

?You know the policy at Syndex. We pay you when we get proof that you?ve completed your job.?

?And you know my policy,? Mara replied, smoothly. ?Either I get paid or I keep this card. Telniri agreed to this when he hired me, and I?m not going to explain this to you again. I?m not looking for easy money I didn?t earn, but you know damned well neither you nor any of your other brainless thugs will have an easy time getting this from me.?

?Hey, I thought we were friends, Jade. I was the one who recommended you to Telniri in the first place.?

Mara arched her brow sardonically. ?I?m flattered you think so highly of me, but I don?t trust you any further than I could throw you. Stop playing games and pay up.?

Snarling, the Devaronian acquiesced. Pax Telniri was the Syndex regional vice president, and if he approved of Mara?s unorthodox demands, there was nothing that could be done. Tensoq turned and signaled to an underling who had been hovering in the doorway of the docking bay. The slightly built Twi?lek hurried forward and pulled out a data credit card, which he handed to Tensoq. As the underling hurried back toward his post by the door, Tensoq turned to Mara, scowled and then gave her the card. She pulled out a scanner from her pocket and checked the card. Satisfied with the results, she put the new card into her pocket and handed over the one she had withheld.

The Devaronian cackled with satisfaction.

Mara rolled her eyes slightly, although she was too tired to feel more than her usual contempt for the hireling beside her. She pulled the strap of her bag over her shoulder and headed toward the docking bay exit.

?Hey, Jade!? Tensoq called out as Mara reached the doorway. ?The boss wants you to stop by to see him.?

Mara paused. ?Telniri?? she asked.

Tensoq shook his head. ?Not Telniri. The big boss.?

Mara was startled. ?Toth Tauro??

?Yes. Tonight. He?s hosting a party.? Tensoq approached her and handed her another card.

2. jedi-lelila

jedi-lelila Jedi Master star 3

Jun 14, 2003
    I got first post :eek: :eek:
    OMG!! That's a first! *Champagne* :p

Kill Skywalker Ehh, I KNEW I had a good reason to dislike this woman :) :)

Well, it seems that the Emperor's Hand has little troubles with her feelings too. Luke is not longer alone,there !!!
    Wait a minute, did I say Mara and feelings in the same sentence?? :eek:
    *J-L thinks about it*
    *Shakes her head* No, no those words are definitely incompatible [face_laugh] ;)

Nice Post LP

3. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    Hmm. I don't think it is going to take that long, Mara. Especially since Luke is looking for YOU!

4. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    They're looking for each other!!!!!! Heh. Hold on tight!!!
    Hehehe, lovin' this story LadyPadme.Great job! I totally cannot wait for more!!!

A. Windsor and Baby Bantha

5. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    Ah, methinks Luke and Mara may wind up chasing each other for a bit... :D

We all know what "they" say... there's a thine line between hate and love... [face_love]

Welcome to the thread! Congratulations on your recent marriage.
    Thank you gracious Lady! Very kind of you to welcome me so nicely to your story! :D

6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Wheee! Chapter one!!! You posted sooner than I expected, Jieh. :p

I especially love this chapter because (surprise! :p ) of all the Mara introspection. You really have her character down perfectly here, even to the smallest details. I love it all so much that it's hard to pick a favorite part, but this might be it:

Often, she would dream of having Skywalker before her with her lightsaber held to his neck or she would see him lying dead before her with blaster burns at his temple and then she would wake, wrapped in sweat and feeling that her heart would burst through her chest, feeling panic. But?panic from what? Why would this dream lead to a sensation of panic rather than exultation?

That's just so perfect on so many levels, LP. Absolutely beautiful work. :D

*accepts roses* Why, thank you - and I can cackle evilly before the evil posts? But this is you -- they're almost all evil posts! I do like cackling evilly, though. This will be fun. [face_devil]

7. NETTYTHEPRINCESS

NETTYTHEPRINCESS Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    Great back round about Mara. Now we know where her head is at. Great post!

8. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Interesting... The dream that should bring exultation brings panic... Hmm... She's just as messed up and confused as he is. Awesome! :D

As others have mentioned, I love that you've begun this story with such a powerful irony -- they're both looking for each other and they don't know it. ;) Then again, Mara knows why she's looking for Luke, but he doesn't know why he's looking for her. Advantage: Jade. :p

And I just have to say, you've already given me great imaginings of their first meeting. "I've been looking for you." "What? I've been looking for you!" "Yeah? Well I said it first!" "Yeah, well..." [face_laugh] You get the idea... :p

Intriguing stuff, this is. :D

9. FreighterPilot

FreighterPilot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    Bad Reader! I didn't forget about this story, honest, I just didn't think it would be starting this soon. I like how it's going so far. Fortunately, I caught up before you got too far ahead of me (unlike ILAW), but unfortunately, this means I have to wait for every post just like everyone else! Your gift for descriptions and internal monologues shows itself well here, keep up the great work!

FreighterPilot

10. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    Hey! I'm up to the sail barge in Love and War. It's nive to know that the sequel is waiting for me when I'm done. ;) I love that you made Leia a Jedi. Very cool. Little Rydor is so cute! I'll be along for the ride. :)

11. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    Great post.

Once again, we see that Mara is without a doubt, the coolest female character in the Star Wars universe.

Love your description of her apartment. It just seems to fit her personality perfectly. I'm surprised she hasn't got some sort of target practice area -with faces of Luke on the targets- set up. It reminds me of Kevin Costner's place in "The Bodyguard" -how it's this drab little basement apartment where the furnishings consist solely of a bed (a mattress and boxspring set right on the floor), a weight set, shooting targets on the wall, and a really big samurai sword.

BTW, love the descriptions of Han: "idiot Corellian....lowlife smuggler. :D How true!!! :D

Mara seems to be clinging to her task of killing Luke as the focus of her life. When she was the Emperor's Hand, she always had a mission to work on and keep her focused. It was a very structured, disciplined life. When the Empire fell, she was in danger of losing that structure and focus -which she'd had all her life. Thus, she clings to her task of finding Luke to keep that structure in place. As she's lived with it her whole life, she can't imagine her life without really having that structure there.

So far, she only seems to be going after Luke. What about Leia? She was part of what happened on the Death Star as well. Wouldn't she be on Mara's hit list too? Or, does Mara realize that Luke will be the much tougher opponent, and thus she needs to take him out first?

Does Talon Karde figure in all of this? Or, is Mara working for another smuggling cartel here?

Mara also seems to resent the fact that Luke is from Tatooine -a backwater planet. Is she aware that was where Vader was from as well? She probably wouldn't like hearing that piece of news. She's lived her whole life in Coruscant. She probably thinks that anywhere OTHER than Coruscant is a backwater. It's like how I've heard that people who live in New York City look down on people from outside NYC -like New Jersey, which they feel is only significant because it's across the river from New York.

Can't wait for the next post. We going to see that Han/Leia strain yet? BTW, I saw this other fic about the Solo kids that looked funny. Jacen Solo starts dating Boba Fett's daughter. :D

BTW, has Leia kept up her Jedi skills, or has she allowed her service to Mon Mothma to take precedence and neglected her Jedi training -as what happened in EU canon?

12. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    Hi, LP!

Great start to the fic - the prologue I read on the ILAW teaser, and chapter 1 was truly perfect Mara characterization.

Interesting to note the slightly different circumstances as opposed to EU 'canon' - the Academy already established, no sign of anyone by the name of Karrde, will there be some kind of Thrawn or IMperial threat here, or just an exhilirating L/M one-on-one?

13. Kab730

Kab730 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2001
    Great Start-This is a first for me -following a L/M story but I 'm looking forward to this one.

14. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    *huffs and puffs to thread.* made it. *falls asleep in weariness from reading all of 'In Love and War.'*

auctually i just finished the last few chapters today before reading the first chapter of the sequel. i didn't want to strain my eyes to much with the scrolling down to find the next chapter. :)

other then that i made it. *sits down and drinks a cup of hot chocolate.*

15. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    First I just want to say, Thank you for making Luke two years older than Mara. :)
    Second, you're doing a good job with her. Very close to the way I would see her at that point. :)

16. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Welcome back, Bri! * giggles * Methinks you like the butt-kicking part because you like to see others beside yourself get thwacked

:eek: Such a warm welcoming. Shouldn't there be a plate of cookies or something set out for the youngins 8-}

And we're back in the flow of things :cool:

Ooooh, testy Mara. So obsessed, i cant even imagine. Cool and crisp, just has her character makes her to be. I dont know about you, but i think you do a fantastic job writing her, LP.

Something tells me that something is going to change her mind within the next 6 months to a year, and she'll actually come to the point where she WANTS him to make it to 100 8-}

On to Thurs!

::Windstar Out::

17. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Better late than never, heh? Too busy yesterday to catch this.

Inside, she stripped off her clothes with her usual brisk, economic movements...

This describes Mara to a tee. No wasted movements, no daydreaming in the shower about guileless blond Jedis... oops! ;)

Great chapter, LP!

18. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    BTW, love the descriptions of Han: "idiot Corellian....lowlife smuggler. How true!!!

:eek: Blasphemy! Chill, Toronto. We don't want to freak LP out so early in the story. Give her a few chapters, at least. ;)

*sets out a plate of cookies* Just for you, Bri darling. :p

19. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I already adore this story, LP! I love the way you nailed Mara down here, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

20. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    jedi-lelila: Wait a minute, did I say Mara and feelings in the same sentence??
    *J-L thinks about it*
    *Shakes her head* No, no those words are definitely incompatible

* giggles * Yes, Mara, the cold-hearted vestal virgin... :p

GreatOne: Yes, these two are on a collision course with each other ;)

A-Windsorand BB: Thank you! :D

Rivad-Bacar: Thin line between love and hate, eh? Just what makes you think they're going to cross that line? :p

Gabri_Jade: Have to thank you again, Gabri_Jade, M.D. (For those of you unaware, that is Doctorate of Mara--my evil twin is the pre-eminent world authority on Mara Jade (just check out her sig!))

- And thanks for defending me to Toronto. I have a feeling it won't be too long before we're double-team thwacking him ;)

NETTYTHEPRINCESS: Her head is somewhere level with her blaster, and it's aimed at Luke...

Darth_Lex: you've already given me great imaginings of their first meeting. "I've been looking for you." "What? I've been looking for you!" "Yeah? Well I said it first!" "Yeah, well..."

* giggles * Thanks! Now I have new ideas for part of a future chapter...runs off to scribble furiously...

FreighterPilot: Welcome to the story! Thanks for coming, and don't worry, it's only the second post!!

joy-noel: Welcome to the thread! And thanks for reading In Love and War. Hope you like it :D

TorontoJediMaster: Once again, we see that Mara is without a doubt, the coolest female character in the Star Wars universe

- You mean CRAZIEST female character in the Star Wars universe. Or perhaps SCARIEST.

- And get off Han's case before I have to thwack you some!

Does Talon Karde figure in all of this? Or, is Mara working for another smuggling cartel here? - No, I have no plans for TK. He may show up as a minor character later on, but he's not her boss. And...speaking of which, do you not see a double standard in all this? Why is it just fine for Mara to work for smugglers without a qualm over what they're smuggling, while it seems Han's career is the blackest stain on humanity? :mad:

Shloz: Welcome to the thread!

chapter 1 was truly perfect Mara characterization.

- Thanks. But, I have the resident authority on Mara Jade on the boards as my beta reader, so I don't worry too much about Mara characterization...sometimes I wonder if Gabri isn't really Mara... :eek:

- As far as Imperials and baddies that showed up in the EU, I'll have some and discard others. I haven't read that much between the Zahn trilogy and the NJO, so my knowledge of events during that time are very fuzzy. I'm basically making it up as I go along...

Kab730: Thank you for your patience with this...H/L will be coming along soon...

jacen200015: Welcome to the story! And thank you so much for going to read ILAW! I hope you liked it!

MariahJade2: :eek: I thought Mara was two years younger than Luke! I just asked Gabri...

Bri_Windstar: * Quickly whips out freshly baked pan of chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, chocolate chocolate chip and shortbread cookies * :p

Jedi-2B: No wasted movements, no daydreaming in the shower about guileless blond Jedis... oops!

- Sweetie, I think you're really getting ahead of yourself in this story... ;)

Miska: Thank you so much!

More tomorrow night!

21. PadmeSolo00

PadmeSolo00 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    YAY! New story! ooooooo! Lots of solo babies! YIPPPEEEEE! I always thought they should have LOTS of babies. Poor han... got woken up.... wait a minute... POOR LEIA! Preggers with a FS baby again. At least no Yoda midwife.... that would be bad.... Poor Poor Lukie... bad dreams.... I know of several women who would love to ..... soothe him *Wink, nudge, wink* Can't wait for the next postie LadyPadme.

22. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    :::sees the plethora of cookies set out by both of the Wise Old Sages:::

Ooooooh! Now see, if this were the regular course of action, we wouldnt have so many problems. ;) 8-}

Professor Gabri, M.D., my Mara Coach- now that tells you something. Very fun class, i just finished my first paper 8-} :::giggles at Gabri:::

We'll see

::Windstar Out::

23. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Great start, LadyPadme!! Liked Luke's questioning of whether his dreams were really dreams, or something else. Glad to see that Leia is kind of a "free agent" in her work for the government. That definitely makes it easier for her to accompany Han on his business. Is Threepio Han and Leia's main babysitter? Kinda cool to see they are having a larger family than they have in the EU. Looking forward to all the evil twists you have in store for us! :)

24. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    We don't know what Mara is smuggling. Han ran spice -which is supposed to be the equivalent of drugs in the Star Wars universe. Plus, she used to be Palpatine's prime assassin and was brainwashed by him from infancy....going into smuggling is actually a step in the right direction for her. :D

And Mara is so cool it's beyond words. She just seems to exude cool confidance and capability. You can understand why, in the EU, all the Solo kids look up to her so much. :D

I like the idea of Threepio as the main Solo babysitter. :)

25. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    sometimes I wonder if Gabri isn't really Mara... :eek:

Sadly, Gabri is lacking the ultra cool holdout blaster with wrist holster, not to mention the lightsaber. *sighs wistfully* And Mara is two years younger than Luke according to the SW Insider. You're safe, LP. ;)

Toronto: That argument goes both ways. We don't know what Mara was smuggling - it could very well have been spice. Besides, smuggling is by definition illegal, regardless of what the cargo is. I adore Mara, but I don't pretend that she's lived a spotless life. She and Han both overcame their somewhat shady pasts, which is part of what makes each of them so cool. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.