Beyond - Legends The Jade Prophecy - L/M, H/L Thank you to the readers!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LadyPadme, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. A-Windsor Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Completely agreed...

A. Windsor
  2. GreatOne Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope, Luke didn't need a ship that had been tinkered with to blow up the Death Star... he just needed Ben telling him to use the Force, and a hot-shot EXCELLENT PILOT with a souped up ship to clear the WAY for him to blow up the Death Star! LOL!!
  3. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

JSM: Sorry, I've had a lot of DRL and have not been able to read anyone's story. Before December I'd been reading about 8 or 9 stories, but I haven't been able to keep up with any of them. If it wasn't for the fact that I wrote all these chapters of JP long, long ago, I would have had to suspend posting, too. Hopefully, in the next few weeks I'll be able to go back and read fanfiction again.

TorontoJediMaster: In response to this, I'm referring you to GreatOne's statement. It sums up everything I wanted to say :p

Gabri_Jade: Oh, all right, you poopy. I guess I would have to think about a choice between you and Han... :p

_3MD_PsychoSniper: * grins * Mara would never embarrass herself. Or she might have to kill any witnesses ;)

A-Windsor: :)

GreatOne: THANK YOU! EXACTLY!

More right away.
  4. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Chapter Sixty-Nine

By the time she was discharged from the infirmary late the next morning, Mara had managed to convince herself that a combination of physical weakness, pain medication and temporary insanity had been responsible for her unprecedented display of weakness and tears the night before. True, she admitted to herself that she would miss Luke when he was gone, and she had even managed to look at herself squarely enough to admit that she worried over whether or not he would come back; however, she refused to entertain the notion that she felt any deeper emotion than that or that there could be any closer bond between them than friendship, and a Master-Padawan relationship.

Mara left the infirmary with a satchel in which she carried all her belongings. The bag was pitifully small. She had no clothes other than the ones on her back, which had been donated to her by the infirmary staff. She had been discharged in a khaki tank top with a light, cream-colored jacket, and some grey sweatpants, all of which were too big for her and fitted awkwardly. In her bag were some toiletries, a few holonovels that Luke had gotten for her while she was recuperating, and her lightsaber.

Mara checked the chronometer mounted on the wall of the infirmary lobby and quickened her pace. It was nearing noon, and she knew that Luke would be leaving soon. She headed into the nearest turbolift and started her journey through the mazes and passageways of the Imperial Palace complex to reach the hangar where Luke?s X-Wing was being prepped.

A score of other ships also sat in the hangar, and Mara saw various people milling about, some like Luke getting their ship ready to launch and others doing routine maintenance work. Further down toward the end of the hangar, she saw the unmistakable outlines of the Millennium Falcon, and thought she could see Chewbacca just outside the boarding ramp.

As Mara approached Luke?s X-Wing, she saw that he was under the ship doing some last minute wiring. Already, he was dressed in his orange flightsuit, although she could only see the lower half of his body. Up in his little receptacle on top of the X-Wing, Artoo Detoo sat patiently waiting for Luke to finish his work.

Before Mara had quite reached the ship, Luke had already sensed her presence. He ducked his head out from under the ship and turned to face her with a smile.

?Hi.?

?Hi, yourself,? Mara rejoined.

?How are you feeling??

?A little tired,? Mara admitted.

Luke nodded gravely. ?The nurse said it would take a while to recover from your injuries. She said weeks to months.?

Other people take that long, not Mara Jade, Mara thought a little irritably. Aloud, she said: ?How soon are you leaving??

?I was just waiting for you,? Luke admitted candidly. ?I thought I?d fiddle a bit with the rear repulsors to adjust the angle, but there?s no other prep work that needs to be done.?

?You?you were waiting for me?? Mara fought down the confusing mixture of sensations that his words produced. On the one hand, she was surprised and idiotically pleased to know that Luke would wait for her, but on the other hand, she also felt a sudden surge of fear and concern again as she thought how she?d miss him when he was gone.

?Leia stopped by a little while ago and we had our goodbyes,? Luke said. He tilted his head toward the end of the hangar. ?She?s down there with Han now.?

Mara nodded and then stood awkwardly, not sure of what to say. She wanted to say things like: ?Take care of yourself? and ?I?ll miss you? but she couldn?t quite bring herself to utter the words out loud.

With his uncanny prescience, Luke was able to do it for her. ?Take care of yourself, Mara,? he said.

?You too, Luke,? Mara returned feeling suddenly shy and ill-at-ease.

?Oh, I almost forgot,? Luke said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a data card, which he held out to her.

?What?s this?? Mara asked. She did not take the card.

?When we left Cyronia, I didn?t have a chance to bring any of your things other than you
  5. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No, dear reader, that is not a typographical error. This is the end. I?ve been wanting to end a story with a Gone With the Wind Han/Leia ending for a LONG time. The problem of course, was how to get them there, since ostensibly, they were happily married at the beginning of this fic. It?s been a long, downward spiral, painful perhaps, but I hope believable, and in some ways enjoyable.

I?m so sorry about this. I had meant to thank every reader as I did at the end of In Love and War with their own little personalized thank you note. In fact, I had one all ready, and it took me a week to write it, but a couple of days ago, my husband, while trying to kill a virus that infected my laptop also ended up wiping out my entire hard drive memory, the thank you note and most of the first 10 chapters of the sequel to this story. So, with major time constraints, I can only just thank every one, and I?ll do so in order of your appearance on this thread:

GreatOne
    JediLiz
    Lady_Moonbeam
    NETTYTHE PRINCESS
    jedi_lelila
    DarthLex
    Kab730
    Miska
    Jedi-2B
    astrowoman
    Bri_Windstar
    starwarsfan68
    A-Windsor
    MariahJade2
    Reesie
    Gabri_Jade
    ? must pause here to give huge hug to my wonderful beta reader and twin
    TorontoJediMaster
    Sock_of_Darth_Vader
    Rivad_Bacar
    DarthMasan
    recklessabandon
    FreighterPilot
    joy_noel
    shloz
    jacen200015
    padmesolo00
    Solo_Fan
    KatarnLead
    Tycalibur
    Puggy
    RebelMom
    SaberofLight
    maramijade
    jade51999
    Benjor45
    RebelPrincess
    ViariSkywalker
    Jedi_Arwen
    TKeira_Lea
    Queen_of_Aces
    Darthshockwave
    MattWindu
    laurelthiel
    RogueSticks
    zsuzsa
    EmilieDarklighter
    MasterPonta
    JainaPadmeJade
    Tara
    MaraJadeFSS
    Jayden112233
    SabaMich
    TheStandmaiden
    NinjaSkywalker
    GrandAdmiralKyrrona
    MattWolverine
    kayladie97
    1230kevin
    Rogue11lovesjag
    Izzie
    Peregrine7
    Ireth_Tasartir
    GirlJedi
    KataiJade
    LaYa_
    Glory
    J_M_Bulldog
    _3MD_PsychoSniper
    rxchiquita
    JadenSkywalker
    JediStarMoonstruck
    Han_Fan
    Tahi

Anyway, again, like I said, there will be a sequel. Only the first chapter got saved before the memory wipe (no comments on why there was no backup, please. The story is too longwinded for words) so it will be a considerable time before I can post the next story. However, will give you a preview. This next installment is set 4 months after the events of the Jade Prophecy:

A Phoenix From the Ashes:

For nearly fifty years Hinat Sylin was custodian of the offices of the Galactic Senate. He started as a teenager when it was still the Senate of the Old Republic; he continued his custodial services, overseeing the cleaning droids and maintenance staff through nearly three decades of Imperialism, and now for the past five years he had swept the offices for the New Republic. He was slight man?a human from Kuat who preferred his freedom on Coruscant to being a telbun on his native planet. Despite having had regular access to the most sensitive rooms in the government of the Galaxy, his work had seemed of such little importance that the fact that he?d done it under three successive administrations had gone unnoticed by his employers. He had no political leanings and cared not who wrote his paycheck as long as he was paid regularly. He had seen so much during the years of his long tenure that very little surprised him and he had no illusions of sentient nature, but he was utterly trustworthy regarding the secrets of the Senate.

He went through the Senate offices that morning as usual just before dawn broke over the horizon to oversee the job the cleaning droids had done overnight. Normally the droids worked without flaw, but on occasion, when a droid was in need of maintenance, Sylin would notice telltale signs of streaks and dust, and need to rectify the situation before the Senate underlings and aides arrived to start the day.

That morning the work was perfectly done, and Sylin nodded in satisfaction as he inspected the corridors and the main Senate chambers. He nodded in greeting to the cleaning droids as he passed them, noting throug
  6. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    *smiles beatifically at readers*

*runs*
  7. GreatOne Jedi Master

star 4
    THE END?!!!! THE END!!??? *sighs* You ARE evil! I hope you can retype your sequel QUICKLY!!! (you and RogueSticks should learn how to use a floppy disk! :p )

I LOVED IT!!! *sobs*
  8. Darth_Lex Jedi Master

star 4
    ??? :eek:

Wha..

Wha..

What?

[Luke_at_Bespin]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/Luke]

:_|

More later. ;)
  9. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

* grins delightedly *

Hey, Lexie, was that evil enough for you? [face_devil]
  10. TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight

star 5
    THE END! ?[face_plain]

:eek:

You know - I think that was absolutely perfect. [face_love] (GWTW is my all time fave so woohoo!) And a shock at that! [face_devil] I would love to say a million wonderful things about your story, but I will leave you with this.

Thank you for writing it.

Thank you even more for sharing it.

Thank you for making me laugh, smile, moan, wail and cry right along with your characters.

and most of all...

Thank you for writing the next installment.

Words cannot describe how great this story was LadyPadme. Bravo!
  11. jacen200015 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey!!!!! :eek:

i can't believe you did that.

you did do it. :(

:_| :_|

12. Jedi-2B Jedi Master

star 4
    Aarrgghh!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had all these little comments and questions forming in my mind as I was reading: Did Luke build himself a new lightsaber? How sad it was that M/L had a more tearful farewell than H/L. Does Mara know of H/L's estrangement?

And then the biggest bombshell: THE END :_|

At least you promised to eventually come back with a sequel. And then we can agonize over whoever is going to get framed for Mon Mothma's murder -- Mara, Leia, one of the cleaning droids,...

Should we now head for Jersey to whack your husband? Husbands just have no concept of the value of fanfic drafts. I know from experience. *makes note to self to check that I've got the most recent chapters of my stuff on disks*

I take it that the snippets you posted were the only things you had sent to Gabri for betaing so far? Darn. Well, we'll be here waiting with bells on when you get back to writing. Thanks for all the enjoyment you've delivered to us (and the evilness, too). :D
  13. Jayden112233 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Sorry to hear about your computer LP. That is so incredibly frustrating to have put so much time and work into something for someone else to ruin it all. Some people have too much time on their hands (to create viruses). I've really enjoyed reading The Jade Prophecy and look forward to A Phoenix from the Ashes.

14. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    if this was going to be a GONE with the Wind type ending, Leia should have said with a southern accent, "I'll go to Tara!" :p

Well, I guess Tara and MARA rhyme? ;)

Very nice ending and I'll definitely be here for the sequel!

15. RebelMom Jedi Knight

star 6
    I should have expected that ending with all the comments you've made about GWTW. It was a great ending even with all the loose ends. I loved the goodbyes. At least you have a sequel planned - Margaret Mitchell never did one.

Sorry about all your lost work. I've had that happen before though not such a large amount. I hate recreating. Good Luck.
  16. Matt Windu Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The end?? :eek: :cool:

Wow I wasn?t expecting that.

I did like it, and thought it was very appropriate. I don't know if you've ever read the series of books by John Jakes, North & South or happened to have ever seen the North & South Mini-series on TV, but I saw the ending much like the end of the first book where the two friends are going off to war to fight for a war that neither of them really want.

I realize that I lurked pretty much though the whole story and popped up a couple of times, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

So I will say, excellent job, and will eagerly await the second part.

Great job again!!!! :)
  17. Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling

star 2
    [face_shocked]
    The End!? Well, I certainly didn't expect that...

Can't wait for the next one LP! Thanks for all the wonderful memories on this enstallment! :D
  18. kayladie97 Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: :eek: :eek: But, but, but....that CAN'T be the end! :_| :_|

Luke and Mara made me want to cry...

Han and Leia made me want to cry even harder...

HOW am I going to make it through Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays without this story, LP!?!?

I'm sorry to hear about you losing all the story. That's only happened to me once and it was only a chapter or two, thank goodness. I will be here waiting eagerly for A Phoenix From the Ashes.

You know, I have to say that I thought this story was getting incredibly long...up to sixty-something chapters with no resolution in sight! So, in retrospect, I suppose we shouldn't have been shocked, but I still was!

Hopefully, the SW muse will be kind to you and let you recreate the story just as wonderfully as you created this one and In Love and War. I'll be here waiting when you do. Thanks for a wonderful ride!!

Edit: I can't wait to see what Lex has to say about THIS when he's more coherent! :D :D
  19. Bri_Windstar Jedi Master

star 4
    :eek: :eek: :eek: *is floored*

LP, i couldnt help it, i got to the end, saw that it WAS the end, and burst out laughing. You secretive, sneaky thing 8-}

I loved this story, i really dont know what else to say about it. It just worked on SO many levels. My only regret is that i fell behind in the end and didnt get to hang around and post as much as i usually did in the past.

And really, you need not have any worries about writing a L/M fic. You did it brilliantly, IMO, i never would have guessed this was your first time around with that couple.

And as for H/L, you are the angst master. 8-}

LP, im sooo sorry about what happened to your chunk of the sequel :(

You dont have to worry or hurry to get it up and posted. Whenever life gives you the time is cool. I just appreciate that you'll be posting it in the first place. :)

On that note, i hope everything is going well with the move in to the new house. I havent heard much on that in a while now, and just wanted to make sure things were OK. :)

HUGGIES LP!! This was amazing, and i thoroughly enjoyed the ride [face_love] :D

::Windstar Out::

20. JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master

star 5
    Sorry, I've had a lot of DRL and have not been able to read anyone's story. Before December I'd been reading about 8 or 9 stories, but I haven't been able to keep up with any of them. If it wasn't for the fact that I wrote all these chapters of JP long, long ago, I would have had to suspend posting, too. Hopefully, in the next few weeks I'll be able to go back and read fanfiction again.

I'm not requiring you to read them. I'm just voicing my frustation at not being able to get back for all the evil posts (like I am with another user on here). There's no requirements whatsoever to read my fics.

THE END?????????? I JUST GOT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL CALL MY LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL SUE!!!!!!!!!

AND YOU KILLED MON MOTHMA!!!!!!!!!! NOT FAIR!!!!!!!! IT'S ILLEGAL TO KILL CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL CALL MY LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL SUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. RogueSticks Jedi Youngling

star 3
    ::BLOWS UP STORY, LP AND NEW JERSEY::

(LOVED the snippet for Phoenix)
  22. maramijade Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wonderful as always LP,. . .

sooo.... when is DRL going to let you start re-writing Pheonix?

Well at least Leia and Mara have a common bond at this point. . .

Mon Mothma assasinated?!!!!!! Oh ohhh. . . and with the fights that are usual between her and Borskie. . . this is going to be interesting.. . who has the most pull in senate. . . and who will be the new president. . . ???

if it's Borsk. .. Force help us all.. .
  23. Reesie Jedi Youngling

star 1
    :D That was great! I really like the departure from th conventional fanfic happy ending. This is a nice dramatic twist that in my opinion makes the characters that much more human. Let's face it, even when people love each a lot they still make mistakes and often can't get it right. The L/M part was touching and very believable given their relationship, history, and personalities. I half expected Luke to confess his feeings, and send Mara running off away from the galaxy, but I'm glad he didn't. This gives her time to resolve her feelings and build a bond with Leia and let the fireworks fly when he gets back. Excellently done. Bravo!
  24. jade51999 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Oh..that's so..sad..

I saw the title of this piece and was like..brace yourself..brace yourself..

but now..
    oh the anguish!

And the virus on your computer
    alas!

horrid!

The excerpt was awesome btw..

:(
    scurries off...THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
  25. Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *gathers up weaponry*

*points it at New Jersey*