main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That definition certainly sums up a big part of what I appreciate about Jar Jar. With Anakin the PT as a whole relied on a "confused youth" mold as part of the serious, main conflict. Jar Jar added another layer to the running theme, initially in a lighter, more obviously entertaining manner (although even in his silly moments I love that Jar Jar doesn't really glorify violence). Later on I find the manner that Jar Jar was mixed up in the greater galactic strife to be genuinely affecting and appropriate in relation to the PT's tragic arc.

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Love Jar Jar's playful sarcastic smile when Watto gets the blue side of the dice. Jar Jar clearly knows exactly what is going down and whom the preferred choice of Qui Gon was =D= . And if anyone thinks the grin is irritating (those not sold on Jar Jar) ,

[​IMG]

Take this! There is that sarcastic grin again, but it's by......wait for it...wait....by....

[​IMG]

Loving it!

Cheers!

MJ

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Jar Jar Binks is the Donald Trump of the Galactic Senate, but not as stupid as the President.

(a quote for someone's signature)

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I admit he is not one of my favorite characters. I'm an official prequel fan and will never deny that. Nor did I ever hate the character, but I do think we could have done with a lot less of that "humor" surrounding him. Less would have been more for me. About the name... well, sorry to say, but my theory is he might have been much less hated with a different name. Sorry George, you are a great storyteller, but are not that great at making up names. "Jar-Jar" doesn't sound all that great to be honest, but "Mr. Binks" is a lot worse. Also I could have done without that fake Spanish in AOTC. Otherwise not that many complaints. I understand Lucas wanted to have him for comic relief, just should have been slightly more conservative about it.

5. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    "I see there's no fooling you Anakin. We're on our way to Coruscant...."

[​IMG]

The dinner scene above makes me really appreciate Jar Jar. He knows everything about who Qui Gon is, what happened in Naboo, the Queen escaping the clutches of the TF. Yet yet despite his childish antics (trying to suck up the fruit) and getting into trouble with Sebulba the list goes on. Yet, Jar Jar keeps the masquerade. He does not blurt out what Qui Gon and Padme are doing in Tattoine.

I like the above line especially the word "fooling". We all know Jar Jar is supposed to be the fool. Yet notice Jar Jar immediately looks at Anakin as soon as Qui says "fooling". Anakin's a child and Jar Jar understands who is the most vulnerable here. Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

MJ

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Awesomeness!!

9. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The PT Section here is influential. :p

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Oh wow - that is pretty sweet. Thanks for sharing the link.

11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Jar's Jar's introduction to Padme is one my favourite scenes in TPM. I think this was done in perfect tandem with GL's motivation and intention for SW; his love for kids and children. Really genuine and top class performance by
    Ahmed Best.
    ^:)^

Bonus:
    Den boom! (Jar Jar explaining how he met Qui Gon the Jedi).
    [​IMG]

Boom! And they blow you up! (Anakin remonstrates with Qui Gon at the dinner table)

Jar Jar's just gulping down on his favorite beverage at the exact moment Anakin slams his hand on the table.
    [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  12. jarjarbinksthegungan

jarjarbinksthegungan Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2017
    Hello! I'm new and a big Jar Jar fan. It makes me very happy to meet some fellow fans of my favorite clumsy gungan! I think he's just so cute and funny! :D

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Welcome aboard. :)

14. jarjarbinksthegungan

Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks so much!

MarcJordan and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I like Jar Jar a lot! I relate to Jar Jar, I am more often than I'd like the bumbling, sorta clumsy fool who desperately wants to help and be involved but who makes a mess of things.

I do think he is overexposed in TPM but then again, so was 3PO in ANH. His cowardly antics are so so overexposed in that movie, it reminds me of how much Jar Jar's buffoonery is spoon fed to us.

Tonyg and ezekiel22x like this.
  16. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Good points all around. I agree about the Jar Jar/3PO comparison. 3PO taking over the Jar Jar duties in AOTC felt natural to me given that I always thought he maintained that lighthearted (and oftentimes annoying :p) place throughout the OT. Also I think it works nicely within the overall PT arc that Jar Jar's antics are mostly limited to TPM's first half. Makes the latter stages of that trilogy even more haunting when I recall how the arc's vibrant levity had to basically be destroyed by the Star Wars equivalent of grim reality.

TOASTEROVEN and StartCenterEnd like this.
  17. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    I like Jar Jar...he actually helped a lot but people overlook it.

18. jarjarbinksthegungan

Oct 16, 2017
    I totally agree! A lot of people think he was a burden to the cause, but they forget how much he helped in the Battle of Naboo, and many other times.

Jar Jar Skywalker and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I doubt that Jar Jar will ever return to live action features, but I'd love to see Ahmed Best take on another role in the saga.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  20. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    Are you guys talking about the real Sith Lord Darth Jar Jar

21. jarjarbinksthegungan

Oct 16, 2017
    I think that would be awesome! =D=

MarcJordan likes this.
  22. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
  23. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I think it's ridiculous that Jar Jar is blamed for helping the Empire get created in the Aftermath series. Palpatine played Padme like a puppet, he had the whole Jedi Order to fight a war for him, he fooled and used Dooku to do his bidding, he fooled the majority of the Republic, he played the Separatist, he played Anakin and Vader ( who I see as 2 different people of the same body ) and even his own master Darth Plageueis was deceived by Palpatine. There are many others I didn't mention, because the list is too long. Many had more power and held more power than Jar Jar, for anyone to put blame on him is dumbfounding.

I know no one was arguing against this, but that's my Rant concerning Jar Jar in the New Cannon.

jarjarbinksthegungan likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I absolutely agree. It's ridiculous. JUSTICE FOR JAR JAR.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think this whole thing is a big missed opportunity. Jar Jar still being an Imperial senator during the OT era would have been a far more interesting direction to have gone in.

Blobofat likes this.