main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I totally agree, if you're going to put him in the novel use the character in a more creative way. Just looks like they wanted to end his existence in Star Wars, just like they're trying to do with the Ewoks. No mention of the Ewoks despite them playing a major role in the Star Wars Saga.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    They will be present in some media, as far as I have seen. And some characters have been given quite a lot space in Return of the Jedi: Beware of the Power of the Dark Side!

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017
    I didn't mean literally erase from Star Wars History. I meant Star Wars not showing the Ewoks in any new story arc or Ewoks being mentioned. The same is being done with Jar Jar.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Aftermath series gave us a Jar Jar scene. And it didn't end with him dead. So "ending his existence in Star Wars" doesn't really apply.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Master Endz-One

Jun 30, 2017

I don't foresee any new Story Arc involving Jar Jar or the Ewoks, I believe that scene was meant to put a closing chapter to his storyline.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. KathleensLilBeach

KathleensLilBeach Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2018
    Still angry Jar Jar wasn't in RO.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

8. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    My Grandma Likes Jar Jar.

Jedi Knight Fett and Lulu Mars like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013

I don't know if this is meant to be affectionate or not but I liked it.

10. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    Name me one Star Wars wars film where Ewoks are ever mentioned?

11. Moff Hylldar

Moff Hylldar Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2018
    I've always liked Jar Jar. His talking is sometimes irritating, but it's an in-world irritation (I mean: it doesn't make him less convincing, or break the story or whatever).

12. Jinn328

Jinn328 Jedi Padawan

Sep 13, 2017
    Jar Jar Binks is a very relatable and likeable character , never understood the hate , he also acted as a bridge between the Gungan and Naboo , brought them together , and he shows us that no matter how bad your day may be , cheer up and never give up , good intentions are rewarded !

13. ahsokas_revenge

ahsokas_revenge Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2017
    Jar-Jar's story adds weight to Obi-Wan's iconic line, "Who's more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows it?"

A whole chain of events that ultimately leads to the fall of the Republic begins with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan following Jar-Jar to Gunga City.

oierem and DarthTalonx like this.
  14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Jar Jar is the man. Very underrated character in the Clone Wars era.

15. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Didn't Lucas say Jar Jar is key to all of this ?

I wonder if Jar Jar was the intended Sith Lord! In my head canon, after the Declaration of Empire, Jar Jar is given a plush position as Governor of the Naboo Territories in appreciation for his services to the Emperor.

16. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I like Jar Jar.
    I hate the way they treated him in that book. I guess Star Wars these days is about giving every legacy character sad endings.

I always figured Jar Jar would remain loyal to the Empire. Palpatine would keep him around as a useful, loyal member of the Senate. Jar Jar being naive and trusting would never pick up on the fact that his long time friend Palpatine is evil.

Or, he could have been coerced into the Rebellion by Bail Organa. After all, as a Bombad Genral, Jar Jar is a war hero!

18. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Book? Sad ending? Did something happen to the bombad general?

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Basically, he was a street performer - outcast from mainstream Gungan society.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I always saw Jar Jar as coming to realize the role he was playing for Palpatine and eventually accepting it as the way things have to be, turning into a cynical politician like all the rest. There could have been a cool arc in Rebels or something where the heroes encounter him when he's still an Imperial senator--one of the Emperor's closest allies--and Jar Jar has to struggle with the gulf between what he was and what he's become. I think it would have been a really good resolution for the character, to finally show him in a more serious context where he has to make hard, adult choices. I think it would have been interesting to see Ahmed Best play that Jar Jar, someone who's old and bitter and world-weary but, in a jarring contrast, also still incredibly clumsy and hapless.

But something like that would have required taking the character seriously as a character, rather than approaching him as yet another meta exercise in franchise self-analysis.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  21. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Is Jar Jar in Rebels? If not, why not? He was prominently featured in many Clone Wars episodes.

I wouldn't keep jar jar in the senate, but by Rebels' time period, have Jar Jar be the new boss leoni, or whatever the leader of the Gungan city is called. He could be older, wiser, and totally cynical, not wanting to get involved in any revolutions, and deeply misses his friends.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    [face_rofl]

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I actually like the way Jar Jar was shown. He was the one to propose giving Palpatine emergency powers, so he was the one to receive the lion's share of fault when it all came crumbling down. He was ostracized from gungan society, and people tended to avoid him, but children loved him, and he found a new cause helping war orphans on Naboo. It's a bit of a sad ending, yes, but I think it's actually a really fitting conclusion(?) for the character. Even after everything he's been through, Jar Jar still manages to entertain people, and retain some joy in his life by helping others.

Senator Wan likes this.
  24. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    "Yousa findin something funny?"

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Senator Wan and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No I am just laughing at what I assume was autocorrect back in the day.