main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Jar Jar Binks Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by CoolyFett, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Darth Voldemort

Darth Voldemort Jedi Master star 1

Oct 21, 2014
    The law probably will. If they ever get backtracked, they could be in serious trouble. In some countries there's even a death penalty for cyber harassment.

Although the actors and actresses are technically responsible for accepting the role and harming the film or franchise, I can have grudges against them for that, but I know better to go online and make threats of violence.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    What a ridiculous addendum. Yes, they're responsible for accepting a job. It's ridiculous to even hold a grudge against them for that. They're just movies.

Palp_Faction likes this.
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    & it's virtually certain that Best did exactly what was asked of him in his performance. Any issues with his character should be directed toward Lucas. If the Jar Jar fallout did damage his career that's a great pity. To me it's also kind of surprising since his was a mo-cap performance & he wouldn't even be recognised in other roles.

Palp_Faction and Christus Regnet like this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What about media rants and ridiculous accusations? Some fans may have their fair share of trash talk, but it was the media that brought it to an whole other level (and did the actual damage to his career).

Christus Regnet likes this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  6. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Ridiculous how? If they're "just movies" why enjoy them so seriously? Love the characters, love the story lines, but then ignore the bad aspects as movies as "just movies". When you're looking at "fiction", you're not looking at actors, you're looking at another reality.

Why can people love Mark Hamill, when he is portraying Luke, but is infact not Luke himself. But then dismiss bad characters as "just movies". It's the same logic flip sided.

TBH I don't give a damn about Jar Jar Bings. I'm indifferent to him as I am to Ahmed Best. I do not like the prequels as it is, I was just making a point here. Even with jar jar binks edited out, TPM is overall a bad film.

And on another note, how are we to know fiction from our perspective is pure nothing? If the multiverse theory is correct, including the theory that other universes have their own scientific laws, then Star Wars could have happened in another universe where the laws of science would permit it. The same can be said for any other science fiction story. But we'll probably never know as physicists and cosmologists state universes are drifting apart from each other.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What does that got to do with anything?! It's fiction (set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), not a parallel reality/universe.

8. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    No fiction is set in our universe. I'm quite sure if we begin to explore other galaxies in our universe in the distant future, we won't find one where Star Wars happened.

Batman for example lives on Earth and in the outskirts of Gotham city on the planet Earth. But there's no Batman or Gotham city on our Earth, so it's another Earth, another universe that semi-parallels our own. But I agree that should be discussed in another thread. I was just making a point.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It won’t, plenty have taken their own lives over what has been said on the internet. Anyone who drives someone to consider that is to far gone.

heels1785 likes this.
  10. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Star Wars is real. It twas transmitted to a young Lucas through the ancient tablets.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  11. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Start a separate topic for that if you must. I was just trying to make philosophical sense of the multiverse hypothesis.

12. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I apologize. I was making a joke.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    What???

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Palp_Faction likes this.
  14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    If they are bad at their job, yeah, but in the case of Jar Jar Binks, that character was invented by Lucas and Best's performance was directed by Lucas. Poor Ahmed is totally blameless.

15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed, but in all of the negative press I can recall Best's performance was rarely if ever criticised. Just that JJ was a ridiculous ill-conceived character. By implication the criticism was directed at Lucas. Again, given that JJ was motion capture I'm surprised that Best's career was so badly affected. Some of the other actors also suffered from TPM's poor reception. Natalie Portman explains here how the movie temporarily damaged her career. Which makes more sense, since she was clearly recognisable in the role. Then there's the effect the movie had on poor Jake Lloyd. Seems that overall TPM took quite a toll.

16. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I think that, instead of opening with "A long time ago...", every SW movie should begin with "Folks, this is only a movie...please refrain from inducing suicidal thoughts in the following participants."

17. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    That question is better directed at Stephen Hawking, Sean Carrol, Michio Kaku, not me.

Especially Michio Kaku, because he goes into wild theories of what could happen in other universes. He's also a Star Wars geek as well. But I think you get my philosophical argument that when you watch a movie, you don't tell your subconcious that's it's just a bunch of people acting out, you tell it that it's another reality. We all do. ("Escapism") As such, your argument does not exactly hold up.

But that's better discussed in another thread.

18. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    I thought he was more of a Star T**k guy

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I just have no idea why you're talking about parallel universes in an argument about whether or not it's right to "blame" actors for participating in an entertainment production that displeased you. I guess I'm being trolled?

20. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    Nope. You said "it's just a movie". I explained to treat it as "something, but nothing" is a philosophical flaw. If you'll treat it as something, then treat it as something. And yes if it's something, it could have happened in another universe. My argument is mostly philosophical. But as I also wrote, it's better discussed in another thread.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    No, actually, I believe you know exactly what I mean when I say "It's just a movie." I'm not falling for it. Nice conversation.

22. Darth Voldemort

Oct 21, 2014
    But then why like it so much? I mean it's "not real". So why like it, but then dismiss it as "just a movie" when reasons to dislike it comes up?

Han Solo: "boring conversation anyway"

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  24. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Nor do I. Jar Jar is one of the best fictional characters ever.

I know what you're getting at, but why would a 24-year-old accepting his very first credited movie role, which is a comedic character in a space adventure known for elements of comedy, think that he would somehow harm the franchise (unless he's a die-hard fan who doesn't ever want the franchise to change, in which case he'd be more likely to petition against the making of the movie)?

To take it one step further, why would an 8-year-old think that him being 8 years old and behaving like the child that he is would harm the franchise when the creator of the franchise says that his character is a little kid?

25. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It’s not pessimism, it’s realism. If someone is willing to drive a human being to almost end their own life because they played a character in a kid’s movie that wasn’t exactly well-written, they’re not gonna change because that actor made a post about how they almost committed suicide. This isn’t like the end of Return of the Jedi where they’ll suddenly have an epiphany and go, “Egads! I’ve been a prick! Here, let me fix that now!”

These are the same people who likely drove Kelly Tran and Ridley off of social media and lambasted the whole new cast with sexist and racist insults. The same people who pretty much permanently scarred Jake Lloyd and made him the man he is today.

These are the same people who made the guy who created this whole damned franchise straight up say, “Why would I want to make more if I’m just going to be hated for it?” and give it up to Disney.

They’re not going to change.

Simple.

Social media as we know it today didn’t exist back in 1999. Sure we had the beginnings of the internet, but that was about it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.