main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Jar Jar Binks Reference and Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Oakessteve, May 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Crikey, I never thought anybody from Slough would ever read that, which was rather naive of me. In any case, my sister used to live there, and...crikey, it's a very dull place. No offence to anybody who lives there.

Anyway, back to whathisname. Jar Jar. That's it.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I love Jar Jar :)

3. CloneTrooperBob

CloneTrooperBob Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    JarJar (to Anakin): "Da Queens a bein grossly nice, mesa tinks. (He looks around) Pitty hot!"

This is the scene when Anakin first arrives on Coruscant and JarJar and Anakin are getting into the transport.
    What does this mean? The only thing I can make of it is that Jar Jar is telling Anakin that Padme has been really nice, and that she's pretty hot. What's up with that? He's 9 years old!

I assume this isn't the case, but what it he actually talking about? I don't get it.

4. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Well, I've already put forward my theory, but you may have missed it, but what I reckon is that Jar Jar was actually referring to the temperature on Coruscant. I could be wrong here, but the way he says it, his own of voice and stuff doesn't indicate to me he finds Padme attractive. But I could be wrong! In either case, it presents an interesting rival for Anakin in Episode III!

5. CloneTrooperBob

CloneTrooperBob Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I saw your reply Oakessteve. My topic got locked because it wasn't in the official JarJar thread, so I thought I'd add it here. Personally, I don't think that's what JarJar meant either, it would be WAY too out of place. But I've never been able to figure out anything different. I don't think that he's talking about the weather on Coruscant either. They just came from Tatooine. A hot day on Coruscant is probably cold on Tatooine. I don't think he would randomly comment on how hot it was on Coruscant after just coming from a twin-sun desert planet. But, it's a theory and it's just as logical as thinking that JarJar is telling Anakin that Padme is hot.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He IS telling Anakin that the Queen is hot, what´s wrong with that? Jar Jar and Anakin were pretty close friends during the trip to and from Coruscant, so I think it´s natural for Jar Jar to tell Anakin what he thinks about the Queen.

7. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    >>This is the scene when Anakin first arrives on Coruscant and JarJar and Anakin are getting into the transport.
    What does this mean? The only thing I can make of it is that Jar Jar is telling Anakin that Padme has been really nice, and that she's pretty hot. What's up with that? He's 9 years old!<<

I think Jar Jar was impressed by the air taxi. He considered it a "pretty hot" ride - probably because it flew and held multiple passengers. Imagine how overwhelmed he must feel! He starts out living as a friendless hermit in a swamp and all of a sudden he has people caring about him (somewhat) and is in the middle of a completely alien world which is both frightening and fascinating.

And also, in one part in Otoh Gunga, Jar Jar says, "Any help here would be hot." So I don't think he uses the term "hot" to describe people, but rather situations or things (like the air taxi).

8. DarthTorgo

DarthTorgo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2002
    <<I've felt so bad for Ahmed since the release of TPM. He's gone down in the public's eye as the most hated character ever (to say the least). Despite the legions of fans that truly support TPM and Jar Jar, the negative prevails in the greater picture. Ahmed doesn't deserve that. He did an excellent job as Jar Jar, no matter whether one liked Jar Jar or not. >>

I don't like Jar-Jar, but I feel somewhat sorrry for Ahmed as well. The character sucked, but that's not his fault. The problems I have with Jar-Jar are really I writing releated issue, something Best had no control over. From watching the beginning documentary and reading interviews with him, he seems like a nice enough guy, and I hope he wouldn't take my dislike of the character he played personally.

9. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Anyone with info on Jaar Jar's early life?

(this is a cleverly disguised *UP*)

:D

10. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm interested in that too, Lurk. All I know are sketchy details.

And about Ahmed. He doesn't even care about peoples' negativity, which I think is cool. He even says that the media feeds off negativity, which is similar to what I've been saying for years. The media is a parasitic conglomerated Leviathan controlled by an oligarchy of suit-and-tie-wearing charlatans.

11. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    Err...Havoc, as a media student, it's my experience that it's a two way thing. The negativety can't exist without there being some basis for it. The media has about as much control over the people, as the people has about as much control over the media. It's completely a two way thing, and it's very naive to think otherwise.

Anyhow, back to Jar Jar. I wonder if Obi-Wan negative feelings towards him were because he could sense that he'd be instrumental in the rise of the Empire? Qui-Gon always has his mind in the present, or at least, the very near future, so he could sense that Jar Jar would be helpful in the up coming battle against the Federation, but Obi-Wan, who's more mindful of the future, seemed to be reluctant to bring him along, so is this why? Anyhow, that's a thought which occured to me a few days ago. What does everybody else think?

12. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Nah, I don't think Obi Wan could have forseen it that far. I don' think even Palpatine (aka Mr "I have forseen it") could have predicted poor Jar Jar to be instrumental in the fall of the Republic. I'd say Kenobi was genuinely irritated with the Gungan. With proper direction, this could have been an interesting subplot. Alas, Obi Wan in TPM was just reduced to "Yes Master" lines.

The media has about as much control over the people, as the people has about as much control over the media

Ah, I wish I could say the same thing about the media here ;)

:D

13. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
  14. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    JAr Jar needs to be executed by ANAKIN that would aid in getting him over to the darkside.

Please cut off his freaking head!

You know what, in fact... to quote my boy anakin.

"I killed him, I killed his all, Hes dead, every single part of him, and not just the man, but the woman in him and the child too, hes an animal and I slaughterd him like an animal, I HATE HIM"

THAT IS WHAT I think about JAR JAR lol the man who ruined Phantom Menace

15. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    oakessteve said he didn't want any competition to his Jar Jar thread so he demanded that I re-post my "How to kill Jar Jar" comments here. :p

Jar Jar could have been the "Chewbacca" of the prequels, and even cooler. If Lucas had done to him what TPReditors did to Jar Jar in TPRE, Jar Jar would have been one of the greatest characters of the ENTIRE SAGA.

Sadly, Lucas instead decided to create a character who was not much more than a mentally retarded person. Instead of appealing to entire audience, Lucas went with a character that would appeal only to small children.

And to make matters worse, Jar Jar was an "in your face" character throughout the film. In some very dramatic moments, like at the dinner table, he's constantly irritating the audience with stupid antics. When Anakin is wooing Padme, he's bouncing around like a jackass. In the battle scene, where Gungans are dying, he's doing slap-stick humor.

So obviously, people not only hate Jar Jar and are mad at Lucas for raping the storyline but also websites went up spewing venom about this moronic and ill-conceived disgrace of a SW character.

McCallum stated that they were surprised how much people hated Jar Jar. How could he be so stupid as to be surprised at the reaction people had about this friggin dumbass character?!! Rob Coleman, the Special Effects Supervisor, told him and Lucas that he and his team were concerned about how Jar Jar was coming across but Lucas didn't care. So, this time, Lucas listened and Jar Jar's role in AOTC was greatly diminished.

Now, think about this: How does Lucas kill off Jar Jar in Ep. III without inadvertently causing the audience to rise to its feet in a standing ovation as the death blow is made? Millions of fans around the world are anxiously awaiting this moment. So how is Lucas going to write the scene which is supposed to be tragic, in such a way that the audience doesn't react contrary to the emotion he's trying to solicit?

This, I gotta see.

Any ideas?

16. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    Jar Jar could have been the "Chewbacca" of the prequels, and even cooler. If Lucas had done to him what TPReditors did to Jar Jar in TPRE, Jar Jar would have been one of the greatest characters of the ENTIRE SAGA.

Interesting. However, what makes Chewie great is also Han. We seem him shouting at Chewie, him being the only one that understands Chewie. And it's only through Han that some of the Chewie humour works.

Eg:

"Great! Great Chewie.,..always thinking about your stomach!"

So for Jar Jar to be as fun as Chewie, he gotta have a Han to work with him ;)

Now, think about this: How does Lucas kill off Jar Jar in Ep. III without inadvertently causing the audience to rise to its feet in a standing ovation as the death blow is made?

You sure? He could just insert Jar Jar in the Ultra Edition of the OT on Alderaan, and have him say the best quote of the saga:

"Mesa gonna die!!!!!!" :p

Just MHO :D

17. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
  18. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Yeah, ok, I know this is a really late response in terms of when it was first brought up, but HEY! I haven't read this thread before.

Here is my take on the line:

JarJar (to Anakin): "Da Queens a bein grossly nice, mesa tinks. (He looks around) Pitty hot!"

One, Jar Jar is NOT telling Anakin that he thinks the Queen is sexy.

Two, the second sentence is an addendum to the first.

Jar Jar essentially thinks that the Queen's being nice is hot. We all know that Jar Jar's syntax tends to be very far not what an average English speaker today would use (I'm sure most of you are reading that and going, "Um, duh!"). I don't think "hot" is really anything we generally associate that word to mean.

Here's my translation into "normal speak" from "Jar Jar speak":

"It's so cool that the queen is being so nice."

19. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I just posted this over in the AotC forum, but since it deals with a great deal of what Jar Jar does in TPM, I think it's also appropriate in this forum. So, here it is:

That is, a war hero appointed a position to boost moral perhaps, but only as a figurehead for the most part. (this is quoted from a post in the thread in the AotC forum to which I was responding.)

I don't see Jar Jar being anything of that sort in AotC. Jar Jar is the bridge between the Gungans and the human populations of Naboo. It's logical that he would then become a strong portion of Amidala's senatorial staff.

In TPM, Amidala and Binks began bringing the Gungans and the Naboo together. Until TPM, the Gungans had always seen the Naboo as arrogant people who didn't care about anyone but themselves. When Jar Jar introduces himself to Padmé while she's busy cleaning R2-D2, she doesn't scream, "Get away from me Gungan!" Instead, she actually has a completely civil conversation with him. When Jar Jar accidentally gets his hand caught in the engine of Anakin's podracer on Tatooine, Padmé is the only one who makes an effort to help him. Jar Jar never forgets how nice she was to him, so that softens his stance toward the Naboo. So, when Jar Jar sees the Queen standing at the window looking out on the night traffic all sad about the suffering of her people and not knowing what to do about it, Jar Jar consoles her. A Gungan, not a Naboo, stands beside her to offer what little comfort he can even though he still feels that the Naboo greatly dislike his people ("That's whysa you no liken us mesa thinks.")

It is from Jar Jar that the Queen's idea begins to be born of how to save her people and the Gungans (whom she's never felt superior to: "The Gungans get pasted to, eh?" "I hope not." Jar Jar never would expect that form of an answer from the Queen of a people his people feel hate them so much.) So, as the Queen and her entourage speed back to Naboo, to whom does the Queen turn to solidfy her plan? Her closest fellow Naboo? The Jedi? No! The bungling, clumsy Jar Jar Binks. How many people in this real world that we fans of Star Wars live in would have seen the wisdom in turning to someone clumsy like Jar Jar for help? But the Queen realizes that which Obi-Wan told Boss Nass in the beginning of the movie: the Naboo and the Gungans do have a symbiotic relationship, and thusly need to jointly fight off the invaders of the planet.

It wasn't just because Binks was in a position of high rank in the Gungan army during the battle against the droid army that got Jar Jar a spot in Amidala's senatorial staff. He was there because of the close professional and personal relationship that he and Padmé had created in the midst of a crisis which affected both of their people. The door did swing in both directions in TPM: the Gungans were highly isolationistic. Binks had no choice but to live away from the Gungans (exiled). This made him closer to the Naboo naturally, but it also made him closer to them on a personal level. No other Gungan had the experience of interacting with Naboo that Binks had.

Because of the history of how close Binks had come to the Naboo, it was a natural choice for him to be representative of the Gungans in the senate. When Amidala comes pouring into the Supreme Chancellor's office, Jar Jar is right there behind her, just like he had been there behind her (emotionally) ten years prior when she made her decision to fight for their planet. Amidala grew up involved with politics (we're told this during the meadow scene with Anakin), so of course she would be the head of those she represented in the Senate. But ten years of working close with Binks she most likely easily taught him a great deal about what she knew.

This led him to be a logical choice to represent the planet of Naboo in Amidala's absence. In reading the script of AotC found in The Art of Star Wars: Episode Two, there is a line of Jar Jar's that, I personally, think should have remained in the movie: "Excueeze me, yousa honora

20. Gungan_Lover

Gungan_Lover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2000
    True Jedi:

"So obviously, people not only hate Jar Jar and are mad at Lucas for raping the storyline but also websites went up spewing venom about this moronic and ill-conceived disgrace of a SW character."

You're a real jerk, aren't you? Seriously, get a life.

21. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    For the folks who asked for information on Jar Jar's childhood:

The only place I've seen anything on this from an official source is Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Characters, which really doesn't give much at all. Jar Jar apparently was kicked out of school as a youngster/teen and was unable to turn to his parents for help. (The reasons for both of these is unspecified in the book.) At one point he was working as a street musician (according to the book, people paid him to stop playing), after which he was recruited into a gang of theives, generally serving to distract the security guards while others made off with the loot.

Once the gang disbanded, Jar Jar apparently held several other jobs, including waiting tables and working at the Otoh Gunga Zoo (job title not given). Due to his general clumsiness and over-eager attempts to be helpful, he ended up being banished from the city and sent to live in exile in the swamps.

And of course, the rest we know.

22. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    True Jedi raises some valid points. There were concerns expressed about Jar Jar's character that were obviously ignored. It's not like nobody on the inside saw the backlash coming, it just seems that GL ignored some valuable advice in altering or toning down the character.

I've enjoyed the prequels but TPM would have benefited greatly from a co-writer and somebody talking to GL like they have a pair about why Jar Jar would be viewed as the SW anti-christ if left as is. I mean, none of the Ewoks were ever that annoying but that didn't seem to diminish their appeal to kids.

23. JAMMINITUP

JAMMINITUP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    I thought Jar Jar was commenting on the position of the air taxi, "pretty high", not "pretty hot"

24. Enigma_X

Enigma_X Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    I, for one, like Jar Jar. Always have. I'm not gonna get on a soapbox or anything, but I think the JJ-bashing crusade is quite petty and mean-spirited. The only one worse is the Ani-bashing crusade, given that Jake Lloyd is a child. I'm an extemely cynical person, and I think Jar Jar is one of the most purely decent characters in SW. He really does want to help. And I'm glad Ahmed Best gets nice mail, because I think that most people, if they can put their dislike for the character on hold, would agree that he gives one of the best performances in the movie. You may not like the character, but the actor- even just using his voice and the model for his movement- does a terrific job.

25. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.