main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

V.C, CA The JC forums Big Brother?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by marmakecam, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I just have to say that I'm very upset to see that our forums are being watched and certain topics getting locked for no reason. Sure, some topics are pointless spam, most of ours for that matter, but as long as it's inoffensive spam I don't think it's harming anyone. We don't need any outside influences coming into our forums and policing them. If there are issues with our forums our city rep will take care of them. This isn't communism! Sorry but I just had to say something.

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    10-4 good buddy.

3. Keiran_Horn

Keiran_Horn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Well, isn't one of the jobs of our RSA to watchdog the FanForce forums under them, to make sure they aren't being filled with spam and the such?

However, I do agree that being watched by outside influences is a bit disconserting...

4. Zaranne

Zaranne Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Hence the reason I'm not around as much as I used to be. I don't like being censored...at all.

But I'm still hanging out enough, to hang with you guys, cuz I'm still a part of this FF!

5. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Ok...I think I need to respond to this.

While I agree it can feel a bit creepy, it is important to remember that these forums are always being watched, monitored, etc. It is in fact the mods/RSA's job to check in on their respective forums to make sure they are being used in a way that is consistent with the users' guidelines, etc. Also, (as I found out when one of our RHS threads was inadvertently deleted), not only are our own mods watching us, Snoball boards (or, "the powers that be") sometimes sweeps through and deletes (not locks) threads.

The fact that this happening was partly my fault. I've been pretty laid back about keeping things neat and orderly around here, and pretty much let things work themselves out. This has certainly resulted in a rather cluttery forum that is much less organized and uh, concise than some of the others. Except for the occassional reminder about keeping threads "on topic," I've really not been very good about doing my job here in this way. So, I apologize to all of you for that.

I don't believe randomness or off-SW topics are not allowed....it's having an abundance of threads with no particular topic or having many, many threads that are clearly just converstaional threads. We *are* allowed to have a social thread or two...I think it's the 20 or so we've had that take up board and server space that flare up and die quickly that might get us in "trouble."

That being said, let's keep this up and open...I'd like to hear all of what all of you have to say. Addtionally, if you all feel I have not done a good enough job here, or if you feel I haven't adequately represented you in all this, I'm open to suggestions on that end as well.

6. Zaranne

Apr 22, 2003
    GB, my comments had nothing to do with you or the locking of threads. You are a fine city rep, and I am pleased to know you as well as be in your FF.

I can get a bit "much" for these boards at times, so I head off to a place that I can be "much" and not get into trouble. I, for one, do not want to get banned.

Some of the stuff that is posted here is a little cluttering, I agree, and can get off topic rather quickly. I have no problems with that particular thread being locked as it said nothing. That being said, we should have one thread that is the primary "social" thread, that can be filled with nonsense and/or nothing, as desired. It might help keep the rest of the threads on topic.

7. marmakecam

marmakecam Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I wasn't complaining about being watched, that has to happen, my complaint lies in the locking of posts by people other than you, GB. I don't see any reason to stop a topic before it even starts. While something may seem stupid and pointless you never know what it may blossom into. If you (or other people for that matter) feel the need to lock or delete threads you should delete the older ones or the recent pointless ones after a little while. Let them get stale before cutting them down. If someone makes a pointless post let it go for a week. If it obvious that everyone?s done with it and that is has no purpose THEN delete it.

Deleting spam is important on in the bigger boards but with maybe 8 people using this board spam is part of what keeps it going.

I'm sure the reason for the spam deletion is because they don't wanna overload the databases, and that's cool. All I'm saying is give it a little time before deleting.

8. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    marmakecam, I actually don't have the power to lock or delete threads. Only RSAs can do that.

In sort of an unspoken rule, each forum is allowed to have some social/conversational threads....any beyond that are usually immediately locked. This is how most of the other forums operate.

What Zar has suggested, that we keep the conversational threads to themselves and try to stay mostly on topic in the others, is exactly what we're supposed to do.

I think we were largely "under the radar" before because of our small size, but I'd bet the number of threads we have started and stalled got someone's attention along the way.

Once again, this is partly my failing, and I apologize.

9. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Let me try and answer some questions being brought up in this thread.

I just have to say that I'm very upset to see that our forums are being watched and certain topics getting locked for no reason.

In all fairness, it is my responsibility to watch over the forums to make sure that there is no trolling, flaming, baiting or breaking of the TOS.

Was a topic locked recently? Yes, and you might be asking why. The reason I locked it was because it served absolutely no purpose. I even asked if there was a purpose to this thread in question or not before doing so. I was told it was SPAM. Therefore I locked the topic.

Well, isn't one of the jobs of our RSA to watchdog the FanForce forums under them, to make sure they aren't being filled with spam and the such?

Yes, this is one of my responsibilities. I felt after seeing that post that it was not needed. There are several threads in this forum for such things. Is there a reason to start another? When in fact there are other threads to serve this purpose.

I wasn't complaining about being watched, that has to happen, my complaint lies in the locking of posts by people other than you, GB. I don't see any reason to stop a topic before it even starts.

Actually CR's do not have the ability to lock thread within their forums. As a CR I hated this as well.

The reason to stop lock the topic before it even starts. please look at the first post in question:

Resistance is futile!!!

What is the purpose of this thread/Post? I personally don't see one.

While something may seem stupid and pointless you never know what it may blossom into.

This may be so. However there are plenty of other threads in the forum where something like this could have and in my opinion should have been placed.

Deleting spam is important on in the bigger boards but with maybe 8 people using this board spam is part of what keeps it going.

You are a part of a "Bigger Board System". It needs to be kept clean. Threads of Spam can cause trouble with the system as a whole when you are speaking of the database for a large message board such as this one.

I think we were largely "under the radar" before because of our small size, but I'd bet the number of threads we have started and stalled got someone's attention along the way.

The main reason I am sure is because Linda was super busy in other Forums. Hence the reason she brought me on board to help her out. Now that I am here I have a responsibility to the Forums and their CR's which I need to perform. Now that there are 2 RSA's we have more time to devote to our prospective forums and look after things.

It is not my intention to lock a topic for the sake of locking a topic. To the contrary if a thread may provide something useful and beneficial to the forum in some way. I will not lock it. However The example above doesn't meet that criteria.

If you have any questions please feel free to bring them to my attention.

Shawn-
    RSA Pscific Region - Fanforce

10. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    I think, that while I enjoy reading all the non-SW threads (heck, I have made quite a few myself. :p) and other assorted things, having them all spread out on the board is not good.

Might I suggest, that someone starts an "Official VCFF Social Thread" or something along those lines, so all the conversations, ramblings, and other things can be kept in one place.

This is just my opinion, so tell me what you all think. :)

11. Zaranne

Apr 22, 2003
    Gee, Kieran, you and I are always on the same page...see my post above!

12. Keiran_Horn

Jul 9, 2002
    Gah!!! School is turning me into a skimmer. :(

13. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Edit: Nevermind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.