main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Hogwarts House Cup: Version 13 - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mara-Jade-Skywalker, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Hey! I read the rules like the first time I played several years back! :p

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    That was my mistake Nicky. I wasn't aware of what my fellow Claw were doing. Don't change this rule because of a misunderstanding on my end. :)

3. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Change!=clarify, Moleman. :p

PS, rules do occasionally change. VERY occasionally, but it does happen. :p

EDIT: Also note that if rules change, I usually try to make it obvious because I know people don't read them most of the time. :p

4. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    Sorry about the delay getting these together... this week has sucked massively and I realized during class earlier today that I didn't do the points yet. :p However, I just did them, so yay. :p

House Totals
    Gryffindor- 2355 points
    Slytherin - 1765 points
    Hufflepuff - 1260 points
    Ravenclaw - 465 points

Individual Totals
    Amberstarbright - 1385 points
    NYCitygurl - 890 points
    Jaina_Solo_15 - 525 points
    amaya_unduli - 435 points
    Jaina Byrd - 370 points
    Codename_Targeter - 340 points
    Darthishtar - 320 points
    Sara Kenobi - 260 points
    Miana Kenobi - 240 points
    Cobranaconda - 230 points
    jedichef1 - 150 points
    Jedi_Whispers - 140 points
    Earwen_Lightrider - 130 points
    Moleman1138 - 125 points
    Daughter_of_Yubyub - 95 points
    Jedivegeta - 80 points
    thecleric007 - 50 points
    crystalskye - 40 points
    Jaina_Solo_59 - 40 points
    Sar-Tamber-Lac - 35 points
    Raincloud - 30 points
    TIEPilot051999 - 20 points
    Mar17swgirl - 10 points
    Darthfisto - 5 points

5. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    And then I'm all like... "whoa, I have points?"

:p

6. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Good job again Gryffindors, :D although everyone cut the gap this week.

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay, points!!! :D

8. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    *bip* :p

9. Jaina_Solo_59

Jaina_Solo_59 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2004
    I saw how little points I have and then realized that I've not submitted half the stuff I did while I was sick!!!!!

10. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    We are so far behind. :( But there's always time to catch up. Always.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    We're Ravenclaw. It's what we do best.

(and at least it's not like last game where I did 33 tasks by myself in the last 2 days). :p

12. thecleric007

thecleric007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2003
    Wow, we're rather behind. But hey, it's the Ravenclaw way.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And it's that time of the week . . .

SLYTHERIN UPDATE

BOOKS

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. 10 points.

"Well--I don' like saying the name if I can help it. No one does."
    ~Hagrid, PS/SS

This quote shows that no one likes saying the name of Lord Voldemort, even years after his supposed death. That is how much he is feared by wizards of all kinds, and explains why people like Fudge would go to such lengths to convince themselves that he wouldn't come back. The terror is so great that most people, Dumbledore and Harry excluded, say You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named instead of Voldemort. Without that quote, Harry wouldn't have known how muc others feared the Dark Lord and because of their fear how powerful Voldemort really is. It gives good insight into the fears of the wizarding community. Without it, he would not have perhaps comprehended that Voldemort was so powerful and dangerous, people flinched when his name is mentioned.

[NYCitygurl]

MOVIES

Nothing.

THINGS TO COME

Done.

THINGS THAT WERE

Done.

HOUSE PRIDE

"Create a cheer of some sort for your House. May do up to 3. 10 points."

1) All hail Slytherin!
    The house we adore£¡
    Those colors that will never die,
    In them we take great pride.

We'll hex those who come against us
    And always remain victorious!
    If you're smart, you'd should follow,
    And if not, then eat that Quaffle!

2) We have pride, it's do or die!
    Go Slytherin! Go Slytherin!
    Get that Snitch, slam Potter in the ditch!
    Gryffindor will lose this match!
    'Cause their Keeper is a red-haired prat!

3) High and mighty Slytherin is the greatest house of all!
    Before us all others will truly and surely fall.
    We will show why we are the best,
    And why other houses can't contest!

[JediVegeta]

"Write a short poem expounding on your House¡¯s merits and why it is better than the other Houses. It should be at least 7 lines long. 15 points."

Pride, ambition and cunning, are the traits of Hogwarts greatest house.
    Such qualities are a virtue, which others are foolish to renounce.

Loyalty and fair play is the motto of the Hufflepuffs. But such ideals will
    cause nothing but distress; for in life, you will never find true success.

Ravenclaw desires the witty and intelligent. But book sense without
    common sense will only cause them great discontent.

Daring, nerve and chivalry are the qualities that Gryffindor treasures. They will
    find that such traits do nothing but bring harm and great failure.

Slytherin is patient. Slytherin is practical.

To us there is no wrong or right.
    Only what will bring us great power and might.

Our house has the qualities that all should crave.
    For it is Slytherin House's members whose greatness shall never fade.

[JediVegeta]

Write the unoffical biography of any famous member of your House, past or present (including several... rumors and unproven "facts" about their life ). 30 points

¡¡On January 9, 1959, Severus Snape born on a bright, sunny afternoon in southern England. He was born to the rising Muggle tennis sensation¡ªat least to himself¡ªTobias Snape, and to Eileen Prince Snape, a pure-blooded, devote follower of the Dark Arts. The couple had met in quaint London cafe where Eileen's knowledge of tennis players won Tobias's heart. Either that or that love potion she slipped him. But in any case, the two got married, and later Severus was born to them. It also appears that Tobias was the one who named his son. He named him Severus because of, "all the

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    HUMOR continued

Write an MST3k of any scene from a Harry Potter book. You may use any characters you want, but please note where they are from if they're not from the HP-verse, and have them comment on a chapter as it plays out. An example may be found here. May do up to 4, and each may not be overly short. 40 points.

Goblet of Fire: Chapter 32

The cloaked man was now conjuring tight cords around Harry, tying him from neck to ankles to the headstone.

Lily Potter: Oh, my poor baby!

Harry could hear shallow, fast breathing from the depths of the hood.

James Potter: That can?t be good.

Lily: Oh, he must be so scared!

He struggled, and the man hit him . . .

James: Ouch.

. . . hit him with a hand that had a finger missing. And Harry realized who was under the hood. It was Wormtail.

James: That filthy, lying, cheating, double-crossing?

Lily: Dear, you?re not helping.

James: Well, it?s making me feel better.

?You!? he gasped.

But Wormtail, who had finished conjuring the ropes, did not reply; he was busy checking the tightness of the cords, his fingers trembling uncontrollably, fumbling over the knots.

Lily: Oh, Harry.

James: Why, I oughta . . .

Once he was sure that Harry was bound so tightly to the headstone that he couldn?t move and inch . . .

James: Okay, being tied to a gravestone in the middle of a night can?t be pleasant. Once Sirius and I snuck into a graveyard and?

Lily: Dear?

James: Yes?

Lily: Shut up.

. . . Wormtail drew a length of some black material from the inside of his cloak and stuffed it roughly in Harry?s mouth; then, without a word, he turned from Harry and hurried away. Harry couldn?t make a sound, nor could he see where Wormtail had gone; he could only see what was right in front of him.

Cedric?s body was lying some feet away.

James: Poor kid.

Lily: How are his parents going to cope? He was their only child.

Some way behind him, glinting in the starlight, lay the Triwizard Cup. Harry?s wand was on the ground by Cedric?s feet. The bundle of robes that Harry had thought to be a baby was close by, at the foot of the grave.

Lily: Poor thing. Why would Peter bring a baby to the graveyard?

James: He was never very bright . . . but Lil, I?m pretty sure that?s not a baby . . .

It seemed to be stirring fretfully. Harry watched it, and his scar seared with pain again . . . and he suddenly knew that he didn?t want to see what was in those robes . . . he didn?t want that bundle opened . . .

Lily: James, I think that?s?

James: I know.

He could hear noises at his feet. He looked down and saw a gigantic snake slithering through the grass, circling the headstone where he was tied.

Lily: Nagini . . .

James: Snakes. Why does it have to be snakes?

Wormtail?s fast, wheezy breathing was growing louder again. It sounded as though he was forcing something heavy across the ground. Then he came back within Harry?s range of vision, and Harry saw him pushing a stone cauldron to the foot of the grave. It was full of what seemed to be water?Harry could hear it slopping around?and it was larger than any cauldron Harry had ever used; a great stone belly large enough for a full-grown man to sit in.

James: Ten Galleons says that it?s not for stew . . .

The thing inside the bundle of robes on the ground was stirring more persistently, as though it was trying to free itself. Now Wormtail was busying himself at the bottom of the cauldron with a wand. Suddenly there were crackling flames beneath it. The large snake slithered away into the darkness.

Lily: I have a bad feeling about this . . .

James: The good thing is that Harry probably won?t be chucked in there.

Lily: How do you know?

James: He?s tied tightly so tightly to that headstone that it would have to go in with him, and there?s no enough room for both of them.

The liquid in the cauldron seemed to heat ver

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Ravenclaw's update because they really don't care because it's a HOLIDAY

Books

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. 10 points.

When Dumbledore is explaining to Harry why he didn't tell Harry everything from the very beginning...

"'I cared about you too much, ' said Dumbledore simply. 'I cared more for your happiness than your knowing the truth, more for your piece of mind than my plan, more for your life than the lives that might be lost if the plan failed. In other words, I acted exactly as Voldemort expects we fools who love to act.'"

This quote is extremely important to the storyline, because it gives an intricate glimpse into one of the stories most vital characters. In this quote, Dumbledore reveals his weakness when it comes to Harry. If Dumbledore did not care for Harry as he did, he would have been able to tell Harry the truth from the beginning, and things would have been a lot different. I believe Harry would have been strong enough to handle most of what he learned in Order of the Pheniox back when he first came to Hogwarts. If Harry had been armed with this information from the very beginning, he would have been prepared for most everything Voldemort had up his proverbial (and after book four, tangible) sleeve, and the events in every book would have been much different. By Dumbledore saying this, he lets Harry know why he never told him everything, thereby allowing the events that have happened in the story to go the way they did.

Completed by: Sar-Tamber-lac

Discuss the significance of any character?s name and how it relates to their character and personality and/or what happens to them throughout the books. May do up to 3. 10 points.

1. Remus Lupin

Remus is the twin brother of Romulus - The Founders of Rome
    Lupin is Latin for Wolf

Lupin is a werewolf and dressed rather ragged. He does have his own brotherhood in the Marauders and is like Sirius taken in as part of James' family. Wolves are carnivorous and Lupin shows violent behavior attacking his friend when he turns.

2. Colin Creevey

Colin means a young dog.

In Chamber of Secrets he follows Harry around, never leaving his sight practically. Creevey sounds a lot like Creepy and Colin's admiration of Harry is quite creepy to some degree of a youth obessesion of a hero.

3. Dolores Umbridge

Dolores means pain and deceit in several interpretations
    Umbridge means to make trouble

Her name pretty much justifies her actions in OOTP to her own ideals. She truly makes Harry and his friends year one that can be called a year of hell. She cause pain for Harry by making him use his own blood to write "I will not tell lies". She also stuns McGonnagal and causes trouble for Trelawney and Hagrid.

Completed by: Moleman1138

Movies

Choose a character from any of the HP movies and describe how the actor cast for the role was good and/or bad in the film. May do up to 7. 10 points.

Right, let's just choose people from GoF.

Brendan Gleeson - Alastor MadEye Moody

Brendan, in my opinion was the perfect Moody. He looked the part, which is what was most important. Yes, I know that's Makeup's job, but he just had the looks and the body language down as well. As Ron says, he's "mad as a hatter." I think that made a likeable but creepy Moody. And I'm pissed that they cut out "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" but that's not his fault.

Ralph Fiennes - Lord Voldemort

Holy ****ze. I think Ralph nailed the part of Voldemort. He was incredibly regal and almost gentlemanly, but cold, cruel, and just plain evil. He was exactly how I always pictured Voldemort; suave yet scary as hades. He nailed Voldemort's cold sarcasm in the graveyard scene. Brilliant job.

Stanislav Ianevski - Viktor

16. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Movies
    Choose a character from any of the HP movies and describe how the actor cast for the role was good and/or bad in the film. May do up to 7. 10 points.

Harry--They cast an actor who has a very open face. He relies greatly on facial expressions as well as verbal stylings, so it is rarely difficult to understand his emotions.

Neville--Neville was introduced to us with features that were definitely in keeping with JK Rowling's description of a round-faced, slightly bewildered boy. The actor is refining him into the person we'll see find his courage in Movie 5.

Dumbledore--There have been two of these and I found both to be appropriate. The first had a wise aspect, but still was able to pull off the more humorous parts. His successor came along for the crucially intense parts of the last two movies.

McGonagall--I will always think of Dame Maggie Smith as the stern but sentimental Reverend Mother in Sister Act, so seeing her cast as the woman who fusses over her Gryffindors at times and takes points from her own house at others is entirely appropriate.

Malfoy--My mother laments how Malfoy started out as an obnoxious cutie and turned into a simpering lisping adolescent with an ugly haircut. Well, I like him as a simpering, lisping adolescent. It makes him more despicable while his haircut makes me pity him.

Lucius Malfoy--A man with very bland features until you get to those eyes and a voice that sounds like he's as evil as his name suggests. What more could we want?

Cho Chang--Cho in Goblet of Fire book form was someone whose facial expressions caught harry's attention a lot, such as her looking genuinely sorry at not going to the Ball with him. Katie Leung did an excellent job of translating this into the film character.

Darthishtar

The Artistic Spirit
    Draw, in any style including abstract, a famous member of your House. May do up to 3. If you do an abstract, you must provide an explanation of your work. 40 points.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/EarwenLightrider/Harry%20Potter/JamesPotter.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/EarwenLightrider/Harry%20Potter/SiriusBlack.jpg

Musical Spirit

Take any song and rewrite it so that it is an HP-related parody. May do up to 5. Please post which song your version came from (title/artist, but not necessarily lyrics). 40 points.
    - Bonus: Record your parody for an additional 50 points. Recording must be in MP3, WAV, or WMA format and easily downloadable. MP3 is preferable.

Man, I Feel Like A Wizard
    (A Weasley Twin Debut - To the tune of Shania Twain's Man, I Feel Like A Woman)

I'm going tonight - I'm feelin' alright
    Gonna cause some trouble
    Wanna make some noise
    Really cause a stir
    Make someone scream and shout

Nobodies watching - make a concoction
    Get a little outta line
    I ain't gonna act wizardly correct
    I only wanna have a good time
    The best thing about being a wizard
    Is the prerogative
    To have a little fun and...

Oh, oh, oh go totally crazy
    Forget the Ministry
    Canary creams ? trick sweets
    Oh, oh, oh really go wild - yeah
    Doin' it in style
    Oh, oh, oh get in the action - create the attraction
    Extendable Ears
    Buy what you dare
    Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free
    Yeah, to make some more fake wands

George and I need a break
    Tonight we're gonna take
    The chance to get out on the town
    We don't need our O.W.L.s
    We only wanna chance
    To make Weasley?s Wizard Wheezes

The best thing about being a wizard
    Is the prerogative
    To have a little fun and...

Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy
    Canary creams ? trick sweets
    Oh, oh, oh, really go wild ? yeah, doin? it in style
    Oh, oh, oh, get in the action, create the attraction
    Extendable Ears
    Buy what you dare
    Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free
    Yeah, to make some more fake wands

http://www.uploading.com/?get=TVYRVNHG

There Was An Old Wizard Who Swallowed

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000

Hufflepuff Update

Create a game that might be played in the wizarding world (can be a board/card-type game, or a sport of some sort). Describe the rules and how one plays, along with a brief history of the game. 45 points.

Fish

Outline of rules and equipment needed:
    Best played near a river or pond. Can be played by up to thirteen wizards. The only equipment needed is the appropriately charmed deck of playing cards and a stick for each wizard involved. Dealer lays out seven cards each. The wizard on the left of the dealer begins the game by choosing any other wizard and asking 'do you have a ____(insert number/title here)' if yes, the wizard must hand over the card. If not, the wizard must take up his stick, charm it or have someone else charm it into a quick-catch fishing pole (a 'generalio accio' spell normally suffices, as it calls any one nearby object to the rod) , and go fishing until the wizard in question has caught something. At the end of the game, the pairs are counted. Three bonus points are added for pairs of things caught when fishing (i.e. two boots, two tyres, two of the same kind of fish, etc)

History of game:
    This game predates any historical documentation and thus its origins can only be speculated upon. It is general knowledge, though never quite believed, that the game was introduced to the European wizards by the Chinese in approximately 500 BC. According to the legend, two Chinese wizards were attempting their first trip to the moon (there was great dispute at the time whether it was indeed made of blue tofu, and the wizards in question were keen on being the first to prove it). So whilst they were performing the spell, they thought of a very foreign place in which nothing made any sense, there was the possibility of aliens, and everything tasted pretty much the same. Perhaps unfortunately, they ended up in Manchester instead. However, the Europeans are generally prideful and do no want to admit that even though the Chinese did not make it to the moon, that they at least performed the first successful international apparition, and hence put this down to 'myth'.

18. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    BTW that (singular) Hufflepuff task was done by me:D

Oh, deary me... Looks like our low number of members are starting to take effect!

19. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Must appologise to the rest of my house for my lack of activity this week due to not being at home all week and the wife's birthday. Good job again though ladies on getting tasks done :)

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    GO SLYTHERIN!!! :D :D :D

21. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    House Totals
    Gryffindor- 2685 points
    Slytherin - 2055 points
    Hufflepuff - 1305 points
    Ravenclaw - 675 points

Individual Totals
    Amberstarbright - 1385 points
    NYCitygurl - 1065 points
    Jaina_Solo_15 - 525 points
    amaya_unduli - 480 points
    Miana Kenobi - 460 points
    Darthishtar - 390 points
    Earwen_Lightrider - 390 points
    Jaina Byrd - 370 points
    Codename_Targeter - 340 points
    Sara Kenobi - 260 points
    Cobranaconda - 230 points
    Moleman1138 - 160 points
    Jedivegeta - 155 points
    jedichef1 - 150 points
    Jedi_Whispers - 140 points
    Daughter_of_Yubyub - 95 points
    Jaina_Solo_59 - 80 points
    Sar-Tamber-Lac - 75 points
    thecleric007 - 50 points
    crystalskye - 40 points
    TIEPilot051999 - 35 points
    Raincloud - 30 points
    Mar17swgirl - 10 points
    Darthfisto - 5 points

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Still in last place. I think I've been corrupted by procrastination here. :p Can't believe how far ahead Gryffindor and Hufflepuff are.

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Our work here is finished. :D

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Cheers for Gryffindor!

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We're beating you too :p ;)