main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Hogwarts House Cup: Version 13 - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mara-Jade-Skywalker, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlyOneKenOrBarbie

OnlyOneKenOrBarbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2004
    *raises glass*

Cheers!

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Well, it HAS been exams for at least three Ravenclaws. :p

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I lost the rest of the Slytherins. Don't know where they went 8-} Haven't seen them in a week.

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *raises hand* Midterms.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Slytherin House Update

BOOKS

Nothing.

MOVIES

Nothing.

THINGS TO COME

Completed.

THINGS THAT WERE

Completed.

HOUSE PRIDE

Nothing.

HUMOR

Write an MST3k of any scene from a Harry Potter book. You may use any characters you want, but please note where they are from if they're not from the HP-verse, and have them comment on a chapter as it plays out. An example may be found here. May do up to 4, and each may not be overly short. 40 points.

Book 1: Chapter 7

?Welcome to Hogwarts,? said Professor McGonagall.

Helga Hufflepuff: Oh, look at the cute little first years!

Salazar Slytherin: I wouldn?t exactly say ?cute.? More like talent-less. Every year the kids get worse.

Godric Gryffindor: You?re quite a sourpuss, you know that?

?The start of the term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take you seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses.?

Rowena Ravenclaw: My favorite part.

?The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in you house common room.?

HH: But sadly it creates such divisions between houses.

RR: Not between ours, dear, just the boys?.

GG: Hey!

RR: And it?s not the truth?

?The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin.?

GG: Of which Gryffindor is the best.

SS: Is not.

GG: Is so.

RR: Told you so.

GG: She said Gryffindor first.

SS: First is the worst, second is the best . . .

RR: And third is going to whack you both on the heads if you don?t stuff a sock in it.

?Each house has its own noble history . . .?

GG: Well, some do, anyway,

SS: Yeah, Gryffindor is lacking that.

RR: I thought I told you two to can it.

HH: All the houses is what she said, an all the houses it is.

? . . . and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards.?

GG: But only Slytherin has ever produced Dark ones.

HH: That?s not really Salazar?s fault.

GG: I?m not so sure about that.

?While you are at Hogwarts, you triumphs will earn you House points, while any rule-breaking will earn lose you House points. At the end of the years the house with the most points is awarded the House cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.?

SS: They don?t look smart enough to be a credit to anything.

HH: Now, that?s not very nice.

RR: They?re plenty smart, believe me.

. . . It was hard to believe there was a ceiling there at all, and that the Great Hall didn?t simply open to the heavens.

SS: at least they can appreciate good magic.

Harry quickly looked down as Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard?s hat.

GG: My beautiful hat.

This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Aunt Petunia wouldn?t have let it in the house.

GG: Hey!

SS: *snickers*

HH: You must admit, Godric, that it is quite old.

Maybe they had to get a rabbit out of it, Harry thought wildly.

GG: I would never allow something as dirty as a rabbit in my hat.

SS: Hey, Rowena, I thought you said that these kids are smart. He thinks he has to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Stupid Muggle magic trick, that.

HH: He?s just scared is all, and doesn?t know what?s going on.

RR: He was raised among Muggles. What do you expect?

. . . noticing that everyone in the hall was now staring at the hat, he stared at it, too.

SS: Yeah, follow the crowd.

For a few seconds, th

6. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Sorry not going to be pretty today as kinda busy with homework :(

Books
    Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice.

"Dont call me a Coward" spoken by Severus Snape, I think this quote in itself gives us an insight into Snapes thoughts and feelings. This may have been some of the taunts that he had faced over the years from James and co, and may have been the catalyst that pushed him into becoming a Death Eater. However when he came over to the "right" side, I feel that Dumbledore would have known this and used the fact he was doing so as ultimatley a brave thing and harder to do than continue as he has.

I still believe that Dumbledore was right about Snape and that there is still something we do not know about why he trusted him, it may have been tha t Snape wanted to stop spying and be honest about himself instead of leading a double life or that he wanted to break his unbreakable vow and not kill Dumbledore as he had promised again making himself very brave and willing to make the sacrifice on the orders behalf.

<jedichef1>

What would have happened if Slughorn had given the Potions Book to Ron in HBP?

My answer to this is probably not a lot, I dont think ron would have followed the instructions left there by the prince at all as he seems to have difficulty following the normal instructions. He would probably complained about it a lot got on Harry and Hermione's nerves and finally handed it back to Slughorn.

<jedichef1>

Things That Were

What exactly motivated Wormtail to betray his friends?

The things that motivated him are pretty simple, fear, Voldemort was getting stronger and taking over fear drove him to join and be on what he saw as the stronger side, plus it gave him powerfull protectors. Greed, he wanted to seem more important than he was and he could do that by betraying his friends. Jelousy, he was jelous that he was not as good powerfull or strong as the rest of the Marauders but by betraying them it made him more than all of them.

<jedichef1>

The Literary Spirit

Write an entry for the History of Magic textbook. May do up to 5. 10 points each.

Anne Boleyn
    Nicholas Sander, wrote after her death that the former Queen of England had 6 fingers accusing her of being a witch. This with the fact that she had given birth of a child which was deformed convinced many that she indeed was one. As during that time, having a child with deformaties meant God was angry. Although obviously we know that having 6 fingers doesn't indeed make you a witch, nor does having a child with deformaties. Anne, indeed was actually a witch. She practised out of sight, even while at court over fear of being caught and killed for it.

Stonehenge
    Famous throughout the world by both muggles and wizards alike. Stonehenge sits 8 miles north west of Salisbury. For muggles it is famous for the muggle pagens to come and worship as well as muggles in general trying to figure out how it got there. Some muggles tales tell of Merlin placing it there. However, the real truth is that in 954. Two drunken wizards (P. Malfoy and A. Jones) played a prank levitating huge rocks and left them there as they thought them to look nice.

Myrddin (Merlin)
    Myrddin is actually known by a few names Myrddin Emrys, Myrddin Wyllt, Merlin Caledonensis, Merlinus and Merlyn. His true name though is Myrddin, however it has been altered over the years due to the true English throughout the country changing, if England had not developed skills from other European countries we would be speaking Welsh and that would be how Merlin would be written.
    There are two stories on how Myrddin came into existance both the same however one tells of his mother being a nun the other a princess, the latter is the truth.
    His mother was indeed the daughter of a King and was inpregnanted by the devil when discov

7. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Hufflepuff Update

House Pride

Create a House banner (usual banner size). May be moving or animated. May do up to 20. 20 points

Banner 1
    Banner 2
    Banner 3
    Banner 4
    Banner 5
    Banner 6
    Banner 7
    Banner 8
    Banner 9
    Banner 10
    Banner 11
    Banner 12
    Banner 13
    Banner 14
    Banner 15
    Banner 16
    Banner 17
    Banner 17
    Banner 18
    Banner 19
    Banner 20

All by amaya unduli

Nicky, as of this update, I am no longer the Head Prefect for Hufflepuff. As witnessed, by my lack of task doing, I'm way too busy to fully participate. Amaya or crystalskye will be taking over as Head Prefect. I'll still be around to do tasks when I have time, but I don't have time right now.

8. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
  9. Amaya_Unduli

Amaya_Unduli Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2005
    Err...

Great minds think alike, eh?

Oh well, at least you don't have to fix the links, Jaina!

Just thought everyone should know that Hufflepuff is just about dead. I think I'm the only active player left. There's been nobody around the boards for ages, except for Sara_Kenobi handing in her resignation as Head Prefect.

I'm happy to take the position, but I'm wondering how much longer we'll last. I will quite willingly fight to the last, even if I am flogging a dead horse. But if there's anybody out there who would like to join - please do! Or if there's any Huffies floating around who could just lend a few tasks to the game, I think it'd keep the morale up a bit, even if it is kinda pointless.

Though having said that, we were still thrashing Ravenclaw at last count...:D But I doubt that will last.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I thought Yubs and Tess would get a hint when I didn't post it... :rolleyes:

Ravenclaw's OMG AWESOME update

Pick a HP character and write some Chuck Norris style "facts" about him/her. ie: Dumbledore doesn't need a wand to do spells, he just looks at things and they enchant themselves out of fear. :p May do up to 5. 5 points each.

1. Severus Snape's hair is so greasy because water is afraid to touch him.

2. Severus Snape doesn't need to apparate; the world is so afraid of him that it moves insanely fast while he stands still.

3. Harry Potter didn't destroy Voldemort as a baby; Severus Snape was Harry's father and one of his sperm Kung-fu punched Voldemort's curse right back to him.

4. Severus Snape's tears can kill Voldemort. Too bad he never cries.

5. Sirius Black was not killed; he committed suicide in fear of Severus Snape's sexiness.

Completed by: Miana Kenobi

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Just thought everyone should know that Hufflepuff is just about dead. I think I'm the only active player left. There's been nobody around the boards for ages, except for Sara_Kenobi handing in her resignation as Head Prefect.

I'm happy to take the position, but I'm wondering how much longer we'll last. I will quite willingly fight to the last, even if I am flogging a dead horse. But if there's anybody out there who would like to join - please do! Or if there's any Huffies floating around who could just lend a few tasks to the game, I think it'd keep the morale up a bit, even if it is kinda pointless.

That's kind of how I feel about Slytherin. If someone wants to join, please do. All of the rest of you Slytherins that suddenly went missing, please do tasks!!

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    hehehe... welcome to Ravenclaw's world, you guys. ;)

13. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    heh Gryffindor is like that and I ran out of time for tasks about 3 weeks back [face_worried]

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Guess everyone having the same problem . . .

15. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Jenn's currently being eaten alive by play practice... ask any other musical geek about how much fun the last week of rehersals is. :p

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Says a musician who doesn't practice at all until the last week:

Last week is teh fun :p

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I'm friends with the tech crew; they hate the last week because they can't get anything else done.

18. Jedi_Whispers

Jedi_Whispers Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    I used to be in the play, part of the tech crew and be on costumes/makeup... talk about anightmare!

19. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    House Totals
    Gryffindor- 2835 points
    Slytherin - 2467 points
    Hufflepuff - 1705 points
    Ravenclaw - 700 points

Individual Totals
    Amberstarbright - 1510 points
    NYCitygurl - 1477 points
    amaya_unduli - 880 points
    Jaina_Solo_15 - 525 points
    Miana Kenobi - 485 points
    Darthishtar - 390 points
    Earwen_Lightrider - 390 points
    Jaina Byrd - 370 points
    Codename_Targeter - 340 points
    Sara Kenobi - 260 points
    Cobranaconda - 230 points
    jedichef1 - 175 points
    Moleman1138 - 160 points
    Jedivegeta - 155 points
    Jedi_Whispers - 140 points
    Daughter_of_Yubyub - 95 points
    Jaina_Solo_59 - 80 points
    Sar-Tamber-Lac - 75 points
    thecleric007 - 50 points
    crystalskye - 40 points
    TIEPilot051999 - 35 points
    Raincloud - 30 points
    Mar17swgirl - 10 points
    Darthfisto - 5 points

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay for points :)

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    SLYTHERIN UPDATE

BOOKS

Can one be an Animagus and a werewolf at the same time? Why or why not? 10 points.

One can be an animagus and a werewolf, but when they are in werewolf form they cannot change into their animagus form. They cannot do this because to change into an animagus one needs to have control over their powers and be able to use their wand, which a werewolf cannot.

[Jaina_Solo_59]

Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points

1.)Asafoetida - Also known as Assyfetida, Devil's Dung, or Food of the Gods. Used in many forms of exorcism. Also very good for acne. Takes the blemishs right off... along with several layers of skin. Use with EXTREME caution.

2.)Allspice - Often used to promote healing and luck. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH COMMON MUGGLE COLOGNE!

3.)Aphrodite's Tears - A sweet oil made from the oils of Lavender, Magnolia, Hibiscus and Rose. This oil will bring its wearer beauty and love eternal. Over use leads to heartbreak.

4.)Rowan - used to develop pyschic powers and success.

5.)Lady's Mantle - Used in love spells. When used with other love binding ingredients, this herb will cause a backfire.

6.)Wormwood - For use in seances and the calling of the dead.Also for use in developing mental powers. POISION! USE WITH CAUTION!

7.)Butterfly wings - Often used in freedom potions. Tends to make one a bit flightly.

8.)Archangel - also known as Angelica, used to cause visions... not to be mistaken for muggle methods.

9.)Brittanica - Used in youth potions. Also aids in sleeping. When placed in a baby's cradle, the child will grow up with a happy disposition

10.)Fairy's Eggs - used for protection. When the eggs are hung as a necklace, it represents the presence and banishment of a curse. The eggs, normally white, turn black when they've averted an evil spell.

[Jedi_Whispers]

NOTE: BOOKS tasks completed.

MOVIES

Write a review of the any of the Harry Potter DVDs. May do one for each movie (aka 4 tongue ). 30 points

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer¡¯s Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer¡¯s Stone
    is an excellent movie filled with everything from ogres to three-headed dogs. There are experienced actors such as Richard Harris and Maggie Smith but there are also unknowns in the three main roles. Daniel Radcliffe plays the title role of Harry Potter, Rupert Grint steals the scene as Ronald Weasley, and Emma Watson brightens us all up with her portrayal of bookish Hermione Granger. The movie¡¯s event¡¯s are close to those in the book, some have been changed, and some events are missing altogether, but overall it captures the magic of the books. Harry Potter fans should enjoy this adaptation.

[Jaina_Solo_59]

THINGS TO COME

Completed.

THINGS THAT WERE

Completed.

HOUSE PRIDE

Make a House icon. May have any of the following dimensions: ?50X50, 50X60, 30X90 or 90X30 (basically anything allowed on the JC)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/DarthFisto/icon1.jpg

[DarthFisto]

HUMOR

Write a series of Very Secret Diaries of the characters during one of the books. The original LoTR Very Secret Diaries can be found here. Form some sort of continuity between the diaries and try to make them amusing ¨C this is supposed to be a parody. At least 6 entries must be included in each character¡¯s VSD for full credit. 25 points for each diary. May do any character and up to 5 so long as all the diaries are at or longer than the specified length, make sense, and are funny (or at least try to be funny).

SNAPE

Day 1

Student

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
  23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks, Mar. And the MST3k ended up being really weird, sorry about that. I can try to repost it if you need.

24. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    GryffindorUpdate

Humour

Write a Day in the Life of any character, particularly any new characters from Half Blood Prince. May do up to 8. 20 points each.

1) Day in the Life of Moaning Myrtle

Midnight Develop a new wail
    12:01 Rethink the wail and make it a whimper
    12:02 Practice whimper and develop accompanying pout
    1:00 Settle comfortably in the U-bend
    1:15 Head to the Prefects' bathroom to make fun of the mermaid.
    1:45 Give up on mermaid and scare off the Head Girl
    2:00 Contemplate the meaning of death
    3:00 Get depressed by death and decide to kill myself
    3:01 Remember I can't, resume moping
    3:05 Watch Ron Weasley bathe for Quidditch practice
    5:00 Scare him off
    5:05 Resume mocking the mermaid
    6:00 Visit with Harry Potter about the upcoming Quidditch season
    8:00 Wish him luck at practice.
    8:05 Eavesdrop on the female prefects from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff
    8:15 Do my morning laps around the school through the pipes
    9:00 Hide in the faucet of the staff loo to overhear gossip
    11:00 Move to the boys' 1st year Slytherin dormitory drain for the same purpose.
    1:00 Do a tour of the pipes once more, just for fun.
    2:00 Remember that I never had fun in life, reminisce on the people I have since tormented.
    3:00 Brag to Peeves about making the mermaid cry.
    3:10 Perfect my wail and whimper when he mocks me instead.
    3:15 Sob
    4:15 Screech
    5:15 Wail
    6:15 Explain why I do so to any passing students
    8:15 Wonder why I don't get to sleep, since I have nothing to do with my time.
    8:20 Try to make friends with the mermaid.
    8:30 Get tips on how to do my hair from her
    8:31 Try to do them, but my ghost fingers don't like to do my hair
    8:35 Moan some more
    8:50 Sob some more
    10:15 Wail a bit
    11:00 Spy on the Ravenclaw fourth year prefects who are playing a prank on the 5th year Hufflepuff prefects.
    11:10 Ruin their prank by setting Mrs. Norris on them
    11:15 Give testimony to Mr. Filch, fraught with reminiscences on how I died.
    11:45 Soak Mrs. Norris in 3rd floor girls' loo.
    11:59 Go back to my U-bend

2) Day in the life of Hedwig

12:00 Return from hunting
    12:01 Start eating my midnight snack
    12:05 Finish eating
    12:06 Work on my reproachful gaze, indimidating a wall
    12:15 Practice it on the younger owls
    2:00 Sleep
    6:00 Wake to see if I am needed and scrounge for an owl treat.
    6:01 Preen
    6:45 Go to breakfast to see if Harry needs anything, mooch off Neville's corn flakes.
    6:50 Set off for Hagrid's with a note.
    7:05 Screech at Fang until he wakes up
    7:07 Go to the pumpkin patch to find Hagrid.
    7:08 Wait for his response
    7:35 Return to Hogwarts.
    7:40 Find Harry in the Common Room.
    7:41 Wait for his response.
    7:45 Return to Hagrid's.
    8:00 Arrive and deliver message.
    8:15 Arrive at owlery.
    8:16 Preen--it's a rough day out.
    9:00 Sleep
    9:15 Get wakened by Neville, who has forgotten something again.
    9:20 Leave for York
    1:00 Arrive at the home of Augusta Longbottom
    1:01 Deliver message
    1:03 Eat dead mouse
    1:05 Sleep
    6:00 Get wakened by Augusta with the package and a note.
    6:05 Dinner
    6:10 Depart for Hogwarts.
    10:00 Arrive at Hogwarts.
    10:02 Locate Neville, deliver package
    10:06 Return to Owlery
    10:07 Preen
    11:30 Sleep

3) Day in the life of Ron Weasley (Early Year 4)

6:00 Wake up, curse alarm clock
    6:05 Wake up, throw alarm clock against wall
    6:10 Wake up, transfigure alarm clock into a beeping turtle
    6:11 Kill the alarm clock.
    8:50 Realize I should have woken up with the turtle
    9:15 Arrive at History of Magic
    9:16 Get called Westerley by Binns
    9:17 Want to start hangman with Harry, but am not speaking to him
    9:18 Play hangman with Neville
    9:25 Beat Neville at Hangman
    9:30 Attempt to take notes
    9:31 Fall asleep
    10:00 wake up with the bell
    10:01 Go to transfiguration
    10:03 Sass McGonagall about Hermione's homework score
    10:07 McGonagall finishes lecture
    10:07 Get extra homework
    10:30 Turn my cactus into a chia pet.
    10:31 Deflect Hermi

25. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    *pokes thread*
    Is anyone out there? Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff? :p

Anyways, droideka just reminded me about the custom game icon that we can have uploaded. Here's the current options that I managed to find in the thread and the one droideka made:
    Hogwarts
    Logo
    By Jaina Byrd

[face_potter]
    By Raincloud

Crest
    By droideka27

So I guess we'll just have a vote for the icon you guys want uploaded. :p Post or PM your vote to me sometime in the near future. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.