main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 15 - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mara-Jade-Skywalker, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    There are some items that I will post later (as I have not seen Mar in a while), so for them to get points as head girl/boy for the game, I will post it later. I didn't know when to post anything, nor of the other would return, so yeah.

2. _princess_leia_

_princess_leia_ Jedi Master star 6

Feb 23, 2004
    Opps! I meant to post last night, but then I got really tired. It's not as if my house has been doing anything anyway...

Final update is supposed to have all completed tasks included, right?

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    If Mar's gone, Cobra's left the game, and flowerbee's busy as hell (which she is) then it's your job :)

HEAD PREFECTS WHO AREN'T PK: I STILL NEED YOU ICONS. AND FROM RAVENCLAW AND GRYFFINDOR, THE LIST OF PREFECTS.

4. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm in Gryffindor, and everyone is gone.:p

I don't even think we have icons.:(

5. _princess_leia_

Feb 23, 2004
    I tried taking out those funny symbols, but more replaced them, so whatever.

[color=gold][hl=darkred][b]GRYFFINDOR FINAL UPDATE[/b][/hl][/color]

[color=gold][hl=darkred][b]Books[/b][/hl][/color]

[b]Describe a wand (length, type of wood, magical core) for any character (except those we already know from the books). Contributed by Mar17swgirl. May do up to 10. 5 points.[/b]

Minerva McGonagall- 9 inches, oak, phoenix feather
    Remus Lupin- 8 1/4 , maple, phoenix feather
    Sirius Black- 10 inches, yew, dragon heartstring
    Peter Pettigrew- 7 1/2 inches, cherry wood, unicorn hair
    Luna Lovegood 8 1/2 inches, sycamore, phoenix feather
    Cho Chang- 7 inches, willow, unicorn hair
    Neville Longbottom- 9 1/2 inches, pine, dragon heart string
    Oliver Wood- 8 inches, ash, dragon heartstring
    Molly Weasley- 7 3/4 inches, rosewood, unicorn hair
    Arthur Weasley- 9 1/4 inches, spruce, phoenix feather

[i]<LilyHobbitJedi> [/i]

[b]Did Harry lose all the traits transferred to him by Voldemort when he attempted to kill Harry as a baby? ie: Ability to speak Parseltongue. Why or why not? 10 points.[/b]

Harry did lose all the abilities he gained from Voldemort as a baby. Because of the fact that Harry was a horcrux, that last bit of Voldemort's soul was what gave Harry insights into Voldemort's mind and Parseltongue. Since all of Voldemort's horcruxes, including the one in Harry are gone, Harry no longer has any of those abilities anymore.

[i]<LilyHobbitJedi>[/i]

[b]Speculate on the future of any of the characters in the HP verse in light of the events of Book 7. May do up to 3. 25 points.[/b]

1. Luna Lovegood graduated Hogwarts somewhere in the middle of her class with a single "Outstanding" O.W.L. in Defense Against the Dark Arts. She would later thank Harry Potter and the D.A. for this achievement. Although she always knew she would return to the Quibbler in the end, she sought to reunite with Ollivander and apprentice herself in the art of wand crafting. During her time with him, she learned the skills necessary in this task and if her heart's desire had not been to run the Quibbler, she would have been one of the world's foremost leaders in wand crafting. After almost a decade under Ollivander's hand, she left him and returned to aide her ailing father in the creation of their magazine. When he died, Luna became Editor-in-Chief and continued to print the Quibbler until her death. She married Dean Thomas at the age of 31 after a five-year romance and gave birth to twin girls: Rain and Rowena Thomas.

2. Neville Longbottom was a hero after his defeat of Nagini the snake. His courage and act of wielding Gryffindor's sword from the Sorting Hat earned him fame throughout the world and respect from his family as well. He did not sit his N.E.W.T.S. and instead immediately started traveling the world with his grandmother in order to learn the scared plant lore from other places in the world. When he grandmother died on the road in Brazil, he returned to Britain and opened a botany shop in Diagon Alley. Despite his fame and family name, the shop did poorly and Neville was soon on his last dollar. It was then that the Headmaster of Hogwarts offered him the position of Herbology professor, with he took with great pride. Neville married Susan Bones and had several children. He taught at Hogwarts until the time of his death.

3. Cho Chang started work with the Ministry of Magic following her graduation of Hogwarts. She started at the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and was there for a time before she was able to transfer to the Department of Magical Games and Sports. It was here she found her true calling as a liaison between the department and the owners of Qudditch teams. She was also drafted as a reserve for Ireland's National Team, and although she never got to play, she was allowed to practice with the team. She married an unknown Seeker from Ireland and left Britain's Ministry of Magic to follow him back to Ireland. There she opened up a racing broom shop that still does well to this day.

[i]<Kry

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000

Ravenclaw has like a 3 way tie for Head Prefect, so we really don't have one.

Prefects, though:

Daughter_of_YubYub
    TheStandmaiden
    Lank_Pavail
    Miana Kenobi

7. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Take my name out of consideration for RC's Head Boy, please. Tess, Mi, or Yubs deserve the honor far more than I.

8. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    I will have something up within the next two hours. I think mark-ups are the thing which are going to give me the most trouble. :p

Sorry about the wait.

9. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    There really isn't much, so it shouldn't be long...

SLYTHERIN FINAL UPDATE

BOOKS

No new tasks.

THINGS THAT WERE

No new tasks.

HOUSE PRIDE

No new tasks.

HUMR

Write an MST3k of any scene from a Harry Potter book. You may use any characters you want, but please note where they are from if they're not from the HP-verse, and have them comment on a chapter as it plays out. An example may be found here. May do up to 4, and each may not be overly short. 40 points.

Characters used are Tom Servo, Mike and Crow, the characters from the MST3000 TV Show.

Tom Servo: Ah, so another Harry Potter chapter we have to rip to pieces I see?so, what is book is it this time?

Mike: Uh, Goblet of Fire.

Crow: Chapter?

Mike (in a cockney accent): Today, we shall be sampling a bit of Flesh, Blood and Bone. Tis' a lovely chapter filled with lights, blood, bone?uh?flesh?and?uh?death.

Tom: Oo! That is where Voldemort comes back again from the dead!

Mike: Yeah, I know. What do you mean comes back from the dead again? He only ?died? one time.

Tom: Oh, you know, those bad guys keep coming back again and again.

Crow: Yeah, just like your in-laws. They just won?t stay dead when you kill them. They are like machines.
    Tom: Mine are like Zombies.
    Crow: Zombie Machines!
    Mike: Uh-huh. Well, let?s get started. Everybody ready to comment?
    Tom and Crow: Ready.
    Mike: Ok, here we go!

Harry felt his feet slam into the ground; his injured leg gave way and he fell forwards; his hand let go of the Triwizard Cup at last. He raised his head.
    Tom: And was eaten by a bogart which took the shape of a hungry obese and angry Dudley.
    Crow: Poor kid.
    ?Where are we?? he said.
    Crow: Sure ain?t Kansas.
    Mike: Yeah, that would be too obvious, huh?
    Cedric shook his head.
    Tom: What? Cedric the Entertainer is in Harry Potter now? This will make me respect this series more. Gives it a little more bling, bling or something.
    Mike: If he were in this, that would be sweet. Better yet if Chris Rock were here too.
    He got up, pulled Harry to his feet, and they looked around.
    They had left the Hogwarts grounds completely; they had obviously travelled miles- perhaps hundreds of miles- for even the mountains surrounding the castle were gone. They were standing instead in a dark and overgrown graveyard; the black outline of a small church was visible beyond them to their left. Harry could just make out the outline of a fine old house on the hillside.
    Cedric looked down at the Triwizard Cup and then up at Harry.
    ?Did anyone tell you the Cup was a Portkey?? he asked.
    Tom (as Harry)-Yeah, they did. Looks like you weren?t important enough for them to tell though, huh?
    ?Nope,? said Harry. He was looking around the graveyard. It was completely silent and slightly eerie. ?Is this supposed to be part of the task??
    ?I dunno,? said Cedric. He sounded slightly nervous. ?Wands out, d?you reckon??
    Crow: Well, hot dang, yeehaw! What is this? The wild west?
    Tom: You think Clint Eastwood will make an appearance here?
    ?Yeah,? said Harry, glad that Cedric had made the suggestion rather than him.
    They pulled out their wands. Harry kept looking around him. He had, yet again, the strange feeling that they were being watched.
    ?Someone?s coming,? he said suddenly.
    Tom: Three, four better lock your door?
    Crow: Five, six get your crucifix?
    Tom: Seven, eight, gonna stay up late?
    Crow: Nine, ten never sleep?again?
    Mike: Guys, Nightmare on Elm Street has nothing to do with this.
    Tom: Freddy is always coming, Mike. And with these guys being teens, they probably think that they were brought here by a portkey when in reality, they just fell asleep somewhere.
    Squinting tensely though the darkness, they watched the figure drawing nearer, walking steadily towards them between the graves.
    Mike: Um.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Hun, the final update is supposed to be everything to make it easier for Nicky to do scoring. Think you can compile the list to include it all?

(And YAY for Slytherin and Gryffindor getting their stuff up! :D )

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh bull, Lank. You did your share. :p

12. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000

nevermind

13. JediVegeta

Dec 20, 2000
    Sorry for lack of mark-ups, but I am pressed for time (as I never did this before :p) and yesterday was my only real free day this week. So please accept what I posted last night as included in the final update as it is a little time consuming to re-post/link all those again. I would appreciate it very much. Thanks. :)

BOOKS

Pick a character and describe what you think their greatest weakness/flaw and their greatest strength is. Why? Give an example or two to support your reasoning. May do up to 3. 15 points.

Rubeus Hagrid--His greatest flaw and his greatest strength are both his loyalty. He is the man who went into a burning house for his dog, but also put himself and others in danger when he hosted a Support Harry Potter party. He is a man of strong principles, but lets his common sense get away from him at times.

Molly Weasley--Her greatest strength is her fierce devotion to those in her stewardship. We see her both mothering Harry and killing to protect her only daughter. On the other hand, she has the immense flaw of believing others to be incapable of responsibility. Though she is not Harry's mother, in Book 5, she is constantly trying to decide what is best for him and hold him back in some ways. She tries to protect Ginny on many levels, from keeping her away from the meeting of the Order of the Phoenix to sending her away from the Battle of Hogwarts.

Merope--Like Hagrid, her greatest flaw and strength are one and the same. They are her trust. In the case of her family, she allowed herself to remain in an abusive situation for years. She had too much trust in the family ties that should have been forged by love. When she was on the verge of death, it was this same trust that allowed her to place her only son in the care of Muggles.

Speculate on the future of any of the characters in the HP verse in light of the events of Book 7. May do up to 3. 25 points.

Minerva McGonagall--She continued her work as Deputy Headmistress and Transfiguration professor after the war against Voldemort. When Professor McGonagall died in the staff room between classes, there were speculations that she would become another Professor Binns. Unfortunately, she chose a well-deserved rest and remained in her tomb, her work completed.

Ernie Macmillan--Pompous and verbose as always, Ernie caught the attention of the Minister of Magic shortly after graduation. He began as one of the staff speechwriters, but gained notoriety for the loftiness of his speeches. Minister Shacklebolt promoted him to Deputy Communications Director just before Ernie married his long-time Hufflepuff friend Susan Bones.

Romilda Vane--This ambitious and flirtatious Gryffindor eventually graduated with mediocre marks from Hogwarts. She was offered a job at Madam Malkins, where she became their very first personal shopper. Her discerning eye and sharp tongue earned her a grudging respect from customers such as the Minister of Magic and Gwenog Jones of the Holyhead Harpies. She is most well-known for the odd set of antlers that she has sported ever since telling the head of the Department of Spell Damage that her new dress robes made her butt look big.

[DarthIshtar]

Did Harry lose all the traits transferred to him by Voldemort when he attempted to kill Harry as a baby? ie: Ability to speak Parseltongue. Why or why not? 10 points.

Yes, Harry did lose all the traits transferred to him by Voldemort because they were never really his to begin with, they were just a product of being a Horcrux. Also, because Voldemort died, they would have disappeared along with him because they were a product Voldemort and never truly belonged to Harry.

[Jaina_Solo_59

Describe a wand (length, type of wood, magical core) for any character (except those we already know from the books). Contributed by Mar17swgirl. May do up to 10. 5 points.

Luna Lovegood- long and swishy, this wand is made form a willow branch and its core is from the horn of a Crumple-Horned Snorkack (or, so she claims).

Tonks- short and thick (mad

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
  15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  16. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    Its only been 5 days, Mi! Give her a chance. :p

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Lank, go vote for which icon you want. We're tied. :p

18. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    Okay, I voted. :p

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you very much :)

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    We're such a committe...

21. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Poor Gryffindor. :(

Sorry for being away during 90% of the game.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I say that for the next game, all losing mods (including you as a mod, Mi) have to change their colors for the colors week to the winning team's colors and have "House Cup LOSER" in their titles :p

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw they do that for THIS GAME. :p

24. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm ok with that.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

As fun as it would be to make Tyi, Grant, Pulsie, dork, and either you or horsey and I do that, it's not fair after the game's over to say that. It would be like banning no-shows (which I also think we should do -- ban them for the colors week).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.