main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 16 - Congratulations, Slytherin!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ravenclaw Schmavenclaw... [face_talk_hand]

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Well, this Slytherin happens to be totally and completely Canadian. So there. :p

(Perhaps I'm just an oddball. But then, I already knew that because apparently being a theatre student = being an oddball. :p 8-} )

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    A Canadian theater student? Oh honey, you're definitely in the wrong house. [face_laugh] ;)

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    **** off, Rachel, she's mine! [face_devil]

5. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol

Not Canadian but live in Canada :p
    (although applying for citizenship in March ;) )

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Official announcement(s):

1. Signups end tomorrow at midnight. Since the houses are basically equal, if there's one extra person or two who REALLY wants to join a closed house, go for it. That's one or two, mind. Any people who want to join after the game has already started have to clear it through their house and through me.

2. I need a prefects list from all four houses. As a reminder: the head prefect MUST be a returning player (and each house has at least one returning player). The HP will be in charge of posting the updates or delegating that duty and will basically be the team captain (and my point of contact if there's an issue). The other three prefects can be new players, but the spots should be filled with returning players first (where available).

3. I'll be keeping track of the points every week, but some of you know my ability with math :p Even with Excel's help, I'm not exactly awesome. So, I'd appreciate it if each team would designate someone to go over the points (either at the end of the game or week by week) to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. (And I know that out of the 38 of you, at least one person likes math :p ).

4. The chances are slim that I'll be around Saturday night or up early Sunday morning, but since I want to give you guys the full seven weeks, I'll probably post it sometime Saturday afternoon/early evening (so I really do need the prefects lists tomorrow). So get excited.

7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, that was subtle, Nat... :p

Anyway, all new Slytherin players who haven't registered at our private board, please do so here and PM me your username that you'll be using, so that I can confirm your access.

And here are Slytherin prefects:

Mar17swgirl - Head Prefect
    Yodaminch - Prefect
    Jaina_Solo_59 - Prefect
    Cobranaconda - Prefect

8. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I was wondering if an admin on the Hufflepuff forum could approve my membership. I still can't access the forum. :confused: Thanks.

9. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Only one?

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Sara you should be able to get in now.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I know that at the very least, our Admin guy likes math :p

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok, hufflepuffers please report to the House so we can organize.

13. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    OK Gryffindor as follows,

Head Prefect - Amber
    Prefect - Chef
    Prefect - Earwen
    Prefect - Lily (very apt name for a member of our house)

14. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    and the resident money launderer... I mean Credit washer. :D

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ahem. *coughcoughformerPhysicsstudentcoughcough* :-B

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    See? I'm not the only one!

:p

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You came to mind :p And that's why I said 'at least' - but this is good, since our math people are spread out among the houses :D

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    You know how weird it was telling Nicky she needs to vote for Ravenclaw prefects? :p

Also, Ravenclaw's prefects:

Miana Kenobi (head prefect)
    Daughter_of_YubYub (prefect)
    The_Standmaiden (<s>disappearer</s> prefect)
    thecleric007 (prefect)

19. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    We are spread out.
    <-Math Teacher :p

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Task Instructions

If you?re new, you need to read this. If you?re not, you should review, just in case (and I changed a couple minor things). Many thanks to Nicky, since some of this (including some tasks) I just copied and pasted from earlier games :p

Task List Version 16
    Sections:
    1. Books
    2. Movies
    3. Things that Were
    4. Things to Come
    5. House Pride
    6. Humor
    7. The Creative Spirit
    8. The Artistic Spirit
    9. The Literary Spirit
    10. The Musical Spirit
    11. The Quidditch Spirit
    12. Absolutely Random

The point value on tasks generally tells you how long it should be. But here are some general guidelines. These are the minimum; feel free to go over (though I don?t give extra points for that).
    • 5 points: one sentence

• 10 points: a few sentences

• 15 points: a paragraph

• Longer: the more points, the more I want

Generally, if it?s more than 15 points, there?s a bit of writing involved. For fanfics (or anything like a fanfic), shoot for 2,000 words (that?s standard challenge length in fanfic). Obviously these criteria are guidelines rather than strict numbers, but if you post a 1000-word fanfic, I?m going to deduct some points (so shoot for 2,000). If you post it and it needs fixing (length, too many spelling/grammatical mistakes, etc.), you?ll have the opportunity to do so before the end of the game (as long as it?s posted before the final update). Note that the 2,000 words is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Basically, I don't want a one-page fanfic; put some thought into it and flesh it out.

Icons: you have to make them 50x50, 30x90, or 90x30 ? those are the icons that the JC supports, and the winning team?s icon gets uploaded for them to use for a week. If no one on the team has the ability to make icons, I?ll either send/post guides or I?ll get an icon maker to do it (though obviously that means it wouldn?t count as a task).

Very Secret Diaries: Very Secret Diaries are supposed to be parodies, and therefore should be funny. The entries shouldn't be excessively short, but then, they don't necessarily have to be very long either. However, there should be some continuity between the diaries like there is in the originals. (For example, in the LoTR VSDs, Cassie Claire has connections between the diaries in jokes like "pervy hobbit fancier," "Sam will kill him if he tries anything," "Still not King," "Still the prettiest," and various references to stubble, carrots, and a pointy hat trick :p ). Other than that, just follow the guidelines in the Task itself.

Day in the Life: These are different from the VSDs in that they're about the random little details of a day in the life of one character (aka they should be funny)... Some serious stuff can be included, but overall, it should be funny. Example:
    A Day in the Life of Harry Potter (this is courtesy of Nicky and she didn't do the whole day, but you get the picture)
    8:00AM ? Woke up.
    8:03AM ? Remembered that I have to go to classes today,
    8:04AM ? Rolled over and went back to sleep.
    8:13AM ? What is that incessant knocking?
    8:15AM ? Stupid Hermione. I KNOW that it's after 8 AM. Just because she's up at 6AM every day doing extra homework...
    8:16AM ? Decide to get dressed, as do not wish to enter Great Hall in my pink teddy bear pajamas.
    8:20AM ? Dressed. Accidentally put hat on foot. Whoops.
    8:21AM ? Open door to go downstairs. Discover Hermione with her nose 3/4 of an inch away from said door. Give her weird look, but decide not to ask.
    8:27AM ? Almost get eaten by random giant hairball-type of thing. Run screaming toward the Great Hall.
    8:29AM ? Am informed that hairball is actually new DADA teacher. Why does no one tell me anything anymore?
    8:33AM ? Mmmm... food....

Head Boy/Girl Competition: Authorship of Tasks must be posted so that it may be determined who is the Head Boy or Girl. Simply add 'By [username here]' after each completed Task and I will add up how many points each member has

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Books

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. May do up to 3. 10 points.

Which of the characters who died in Book 7 would you have spared? Why? How would the overall storyline be affected by this change? 10 points.

Which of the Weasley children would you have killed and why? 10 points.

Do you think that the romantic pairings (Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione) were correct? Would you have changed them? 10 points.

Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points.

Create a spell, including the name, the word that makes it happen, and what it does. May do up to 10. 5 points.

Who is a top-notch professor at Hogwarts, past or present? Why? May do up to 3. 10 points.

Who is Harry?s absolute best friend, Ron or Hermione? Why? 10 points.

Which of the books was the least enjoyable? Why? 10 points.

Did Deathly Hallows live up to your expectations? Why or why not? 10 points.

If J. K. Rowling writes another book in the HP-verse, what should it be about? 10 points.

Movies

What scenes might be omitted from the Deathly Hallows movies? Why would they be omitted? May do up to 5. 10 points.

Where would you split the Deathly Hallows book to divide it for the movies and why? 5 points.

What actor do you think does an amazing job in the movies? Why? May do up to 5. 5 points.

What actor do you think does a terrible job in the movies? Why? May do up to 5. 5 points

Which movie is the best so far? Why? 15 points.

What omitted scenes do you think should have been in the movies? Why? May do up to 10. 10 points.

Do you think they should call the last two movies ?Deathly Hallows Parts I and II,? or should they come up with a new name for one? 10 points.

Write a review of any of the Harry Potter movies. May do up to 6 (one for each movie). 20 points.

Create a promotional poster for either of the last two movies. May do up to 3 total. 25 points.

What addition to the HPB movie worked well? May do up to 2. 10 points.

What addition to the HPB movie would have been better left out? May do up to 2. 10 points.

What should have been added to/changed in the HPB movie? May do up to 3. 10 points.

Things That Were

Create short biographies for fictional members of the original Order of the Phoenix. May do up to 10. 15 points.

Create short biographies for fictional former headmasters of Hogwarts. May do up to 5. 15 points.

What happened to Salazar Slytherin after he left Hogwarts? 10 points.

What was a heroic deed performed by Godric Gryffindor? May do up to 5. 5 points.

Speculate on the past of any adult in the HP universe. May do up to 3. 15 points.

If you were recruiting someone to become a Death Eater, who would you pick and why? May do up to 5. 5 points.

Speculate on some of the things that happened to the other Defense Against the Dark Arts professors prior to those in the books. May do up to 5. 10 points each.

Name another magic school like Hogwarts. Where is it located? Does it have houses or groups like Hogwarts? Who is the headmaster/mistress? Does it have any sort of reputation in the wizarding community? Give additional details. May do up to 3. 20 points.

What House would Viktor Krum be in if he attended Hogwarts and why? 5 points.

Did any of the Marauders have girlfriends? If so, what happened? (You can include pre-Lily James.) May do up to 4 (one for each). 10 points.

Things To Come

Now that Voldemort is dead, will the curse of the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor be lifted? 5 points.

What will happen to a Hogwarts students not mentioned in the epilogue? May do up to 5. 5 points.

Will Harry ever become Minister of Magic or Headmaster of Hogwarts? 5 points.

What will happen to Rita Skeeter? 5 points.

Create a fictional future for any of the main cha

22. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
  23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

HE HAS GREEN EYES. [face_frustrated]

And you just took the fun out of figuring out which one is the unlimited!

Also darling, in your pre-task list post, you flipped around Things that were and things to come.

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Some tasks say ?can do up to 3 times? or something. That means you can do them up to 3 times ? and that?s a plural ?you? (means only one person from the team can do each task, unless a three-time task is split so one person does two, another does one, etc.).

Okay, hold on, so we can still do these like we used to - for instance if a task can be done up to 3 times, that means either one person does all three, or one person does one and another person does two, or three people do one each. Is that right?

25. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.