main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 17 - Congratulations, Gryffindor!! -- Game 18 dates announced!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I'll second that

2. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Whoohoo! [face_dancing] Go Gryffindor!

Thanks you two [:D]

Nice job Irdi!

EDIT: Uh, which icon do we want?

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hooray! [face_dancing]

Good game, everyone!

4. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    I like the griffindor shield one.:)

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Thanks!

Nice job to you, too. ;) [:D]

We are Point Masters! [face_laugh] [:D]

6. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Point Masters... Point-o-holics... yep :p

Shield one works for me :)

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The shield icon it is!!

8. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
  9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Well, hey there, everyone! It's been a bit :p

Looking through the last couple pages of this thread, I see that loads of people asked for a 6+ month break from the last game to the next. Since it's been more than 6 months since the game ended, I have a few questions.

1. When do you all want to run the next game? This summer? Wait until fall? Should we try to fit a game in before the last movie? Wait until after? Have the movie release fall somewhere in the middle? Does it matter?

2. What changes do you want to see made?

3. Do you have any task suggestions?

A couple things from a hosting standpoint: There is no way I'm going to start a game for probably the next three or four weeks at least. I just don't have the time until exams are over and my summer begins. Which isn't to say that sign-ups can't start earlier, but I don't see the actual game starting for at least a month.

I know that during the last game, some of the older players mentioned that they were a bit tired of getting the same tasks every game. So, I've decided to mix it up a little. I've created a new task list; all but a handful of the tasks are completely new. That isn't to say the categories or the types of tasks (e.g., fanfics, music, drawing, etc.) are all different, but a lot of the specifics have changed. And it's basically complete; I only need a few more. I have included some suggestions from players, and if you have any task suggestions, please PM them to me! I'd be happy to add them in.

I also got some suggestions about evening out points a little more, so I'm going to take a careful look at points to make sure each category has enough.

I also got two big suggestions I'd love to try out. One was replacing Quidditch Spirit (which isn't that popular) with Dramatic Spirit and add more tasks involving the stage, TV and film, etc. The other was to give a bonus for each category a House completes (obviously not the same for every category, since some require a lot more work than others).

What do you all think about these suggestions? Or are you still in need of a lengthy break and would rather shelf this for a while longer?

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    First thought - definitely hold it AFTER the final movie comes out, but an even lengthier break would be better. The game still feels tired at this point.

I have other thoughts and justifications, but do not have time to write them out right now.

11. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm up for a house cup anytime. :) I know I wrote down a few ideas for tasks - I'll have to find where I put them.

12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    End of May, early June would be better.

But I'm a fan of waiting until the movie is out. That way we can do some tasks on that as well. I know the movies always have the add/change stuff. And I know that if Molly's fight isn't in there, I'll be the first once to rant and rave. :p

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    NOT JULY/AUGUST.

May/June would be awesome.

14. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    May-June is good for me, cause my exams finish 12th May.

Any other brits who have exams though might dissagree; A level exams don't finish untill the end of june, although I don't think that affects anyone here.

August would be fine but July is bad for me- my boyfriend is coming over from America to visit so I won't be online possibly for up to 3 weeks. (We're gonna see the last film together! :D)

As for tasks; I can't think of anything straight off the top of my head, but I'll give it some thought.

15. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    I don't exactly have any ideas for tasks at the top of my head right now, but in regards to when, I'd say summer might be the best time. Most people won't have school (thus exams) in the way, though I personally think we should wait till after the movie comes out. That alone could bring a bunch of new tasks.

And I agree with Minch, I'll be amongst the firsts to complain if they remove that particular fight.

16. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Time for me isn't an issue. I can do whenever.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    This.

AND NOT MAY/JUNE, PLEEEEASE. May/June sucks because I work Monday-Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm, then do lesson plans on the weekend - I won't be able to play at all. July/August isn't much better - I'm one of those strange people who do have school during the summer. I'll be gone for two three-week intensive theatre coursse in the middle of the summer months with no readily available Internet connection, then I'll be disappearing for backpacking/cottaging, with absolutely no Internet. So I won't be able to play there, either.

I'm a fan of waiting for September. Give us a month a bit for the new film to sink in - which I think we really do need - otherwise, there's nothing new to talk about in the movies section from last game. Plus, if we wait until the next movie comes out, we will be able to look at the series as a a complete whole, which could lead to new and interesting opinions, again, in the movies section (and elsewhere). Yes, people have school again in September, BUT because of school, people are around in the land of Internet connection. :p

I know some people are impatient for a new game, but honestly, waiting is better. The game is exhausting, and the longer we wait, the better the game will feel when we finally get around to playing it. Plus, the less like the last game the new one is, the better. Even though I've only played twice, the last two games were so similar to each other, it wasn't half as much fun the second time around, IMHO. :)

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Summer would be best for me.

19. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Not that strange to be honest - I was jsut saying the majority didn't. But I'll agree with you, back when I still went to school I'd be on here more when I had school than during the summer. At the end of the day, anytime would be fine for me, except November... you'll most likely lose me to a video-game and work if you start it around that time.

20. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm definitely for a later start AFTER the second DH film - ideally in August/September. While I enjoy the game, I still feel a bit burnt out.

I do have some new ideas for the game; I'll PM them to you, Nat. :)

21. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    1. When do you all want to run the next game? This summer? Wait until fall? Should we try to fit a game in before the last movie? Wait until after? Have the movie release fall somewhere in the middle? Does it matter?

Holding the game when the movie is out or after would provide more options for tasks (book/movie comparisons, what would you do different, ect). There is simply no way to host the game at a time that is convenient for every single person. It could start early July (maybe a week before DH's release), for example. The release of DH part 2 could bring in new players/invigorate former ones.

No task suggestions as of yet.

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, it looks like most people want to wait until after the second movie comes out, but there are worries about school, and some can't do late summer. So, what about a game that starts in mid-August (like, maybe the 2nd or 3rd week) and running through September and into October? That gives people a couple weeks before school starts (and the beginning of the year is the easiest work-wise) and ends before most midterms. It also seems to cover a period of time where, even through everyone can't be around the whole time, everyone will get to be around for at least part of it. It seems to be the best way to accomodate everyone's schedules.

Does anyone object?

And another thought - the game usually runs about 7 weeks, though there was an extension last time. Is 7 weeks still a good number, or would bumping it to 8 be better?

And I'm very open to task suggestions :D

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    That will definitely work for me.

24. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The starting time definitely sounds like it would work for me, can't for it to begin!:D

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I'd say avoid July/August simply to avoid having the only weekend that actually matters hit a convention again. It's hard to do a million task when you're away getting your nerd on. :p

Also, <i>good riddance</I> to Quidditch Spirit. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.