main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 17 - Congratulations, Gryffindor!! -- Game 18 dates announced!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, absolutely!! [:D] Take all the time you need - you definitely don't have to be around the whole game.

Thanks!! Other Houses, I need your prefect lists.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Ant, no problem at all! [:D] It's just a game, real life and family are much more important. Hopefully everything will turn out for the best. :)

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Calling all Gryffindors to the commons to decide the Prefects.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Given the very latest developments, the most logical course seems to be the premature demise of Hufflepuff.

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :(

If that's what you guys definitely want, I'll move dark back to Slytherin, and you and Gunny can pick other houses.

6. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Go Gryffindor! Here's our Prefect list.

Head Prefect - Earwen_Lightrider
    Prefect - QueenArdnassak
    Prefect - jedichef1
    Prefect - _princess_leia_

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    OYE Ravenclaws. Go do prefect voting if you haven't already.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, final game list:

RAVENCLAW

1. wedge41388
    2. FelsGoddess
    3. Rogue...Jedi
    4. Todca Muoak
    5. Zadann_MaRanna
    6. Yubsie
    7. The_Standmaiden
    8. Miana Kenobi
    9. DarthBabe
    10. Kiki-Gon

Gryffindor

1. LilyHobbitJedi
    2. QueenArdnassak
    3. DarthBane95
    4. Earwen_Lightrider
    5. _princess_leia_
    6. Fallen-Hero
    7. jedichef1
    8. darthhelinith
    9. PrincessKenobi
    10. JEDIGUNSHIP

Hufflepuff

:(

Slytherin

1. Mar17swgirl
    2. yodaminch
    3. Cobranaconda
    4. Idrelle_Miocovani
    5. Jedi-Ant
    6. Sith-Lord-Gunray
    7. StarWarsFreak444
    8. darksideyesplease

I'll post the tasks in a bit. I upped points for some stuff as requested, and I want to make sure it lines up 8-}

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Task Instructions

If you?re new, you need to read this. If you?re not, you should review, just in case (and I changed a couple minor things). Many thanks to Nicky, since some of this (including some tasks) I just copied and pasted from earlier games :p

Task List Version 16
    Sections:
    1. Books
    2. Movies
    3. Things that Were
    4. Things to Come
    5. House Pride
    6. Humor
    7. The Creative Spirit
    8. The Artistic Spirit
    9. The Literary Spirit
    10. The Musical Spirit
    11. The Quidditch Spirit
    12. Absolutely Random

The point value on tasks generally tells you how long it should be. But here are some general guidelines. These are the minimum; feel free to go over (though I don?t give extra points for that).
    • 5 points: one sentence

• 10 points: a few sentences

• 15 points: a paragraph

• Longer: the more points, the more I want

Generally, if it?s more than 15 points, there?s a bit of writing involved. I have upped points for fanfic and music tasks (and art), to make it more fair for the amount of work. For fanfics (or anything like a fanfic), shoot for 2,000 words (that?s standard challenge length in fanfic). Since I upped the points, that really does mean around 2,000. Not that anyone turned in a one-page fanfic last time.

Icons: you have to make them 50x50, 30x90, or 90x30 ? those are the icons that the JC supports, and the winning team?s icon gets uploaded for them to use for a week. If no one on the team has the ability to make icons, I?ll either send/post guides or I?ll get an icon maker to do it (though obviously that means it wouldn?t count as a task).

Very Secret Diaries: Very Secret Diaries are supposed to be parodies, and therefore should be funny. The entries shouldn't be excessively short, but then, they don't necessarily have to be very long either. However, there should be some continuity between the diaries like there is in the originals. (For example, in the LoTR VSDs, Cassie Claire has connections between the diaries in jokes like "pervy hobbit fancier," "Sam will kill him if he tries anything," "Still not King," "Still the prettiest," and various references to stubble, carrots, and a pointy hat trick :p ). Other than that, just follow the guidelines in the Task itself.

Day in the Life: These are different from the VSDs in that they're about the random little details of a day in the life of one character (aka they should be funny)... Some serious stuff can be included, but overall, it should be funny. Example:
    A Day in the Life of Harry Potter (this is courtesy of Nicky and she didn't do the whole day, but you get the picture)
    8:00AM ? Woke up.
    8:03AM ? Remembered that I have to go to classes today,
    8:04AM ? Rolled over and went back to sleep.
    8:13AM ? What is that incessant knocking?
    8:15AM ? Stupid Hermione. I KNOW that it's after 8 AM. Just because she's up at 6AM every day doing extra homework...
    8:16AM ? Decide to get dressed, as do not wish to enter Great Hall in my pink teddy bear pajamas.
    8:20AM ? Dressed. Accidentally put hat on foot. Whoops.
    8:21AM ? Open door to go downstairs. Discover Hermione with her nose 3/4 of an inch away from said door. Give her weird look, but decide not to ask.
    8:27AM ? Almost get eaten by random giant hairball-type of thing. Run screaming toward the Great Hall.
    8:29AM ? Am informed that hairball is actually new DADA teacher. Why does no one tell me anything anymore?
    8:33AM ? Mmmm... food....

Head Boy/Girl Competition: Authorship of Tasks must be posted so that it may be determined who is the Head Boy or Girl. Simply add 'By [username here]' after each completed Task and I will add up how many points each member has contributed. The Head Boy or Girl will be announced at the same time as the winning House is, and this person will receive the title "Head Boy/Girl" (or whatever will fit in their title) for the week that the winning House has their colors, and the runner-up will get 72 hours (obviously if a mod

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Books

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. May do up to 3. 15 points.

Which of the characters who died in Book 7 would you have spared? Why? How would the overall storyline be affected by this change? 10 points.

Which of the Weasley children would you have killed and why? 10 points.

What happened to Kreacher and Number 12, Grimmauld Place after the events of the Deathly Hallows? 15 points. Task suggestion by Mar17swgirl

Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points.

Create a spell, including the name, the word that makes it happen, and what it does. May do up to 10. 5 points.

Who is a top-notch professor at Hogwarts, past or present? Why? May do up to 3. 10 points.

If a Triwizard Tournament took place at Beauxbatons or Durmstrang, what means of unique magical transport would the Hogwarts delegation use to get there? 10 points. Suggested by Mar17swgirl.

Which of the books was the most enjoyable? Why? 10 points.

How did the Dursleys send Harry his Christmas "presents"? 5 points. Task suggestion by Mar17swgirl.

Movies

What scenes might be omitted from the Deathly Hallows movies? Why would they be omitted? May do up to 5. 10 points.

Where would you split the Deathly Hallows book to divide it for the movies and why? 5 points.

If you could give one HP actor an award, who would it be and why? 15 points.

If you could redo one movie, which would it be? Why? 15 points.

What omitted scenes do you think should have been in the movies? Why? May do up to 10. 10 points.

Write a review of any of the Harry Potter movies. May do up to 6 (one for each movie). 20 points.

Create a promotional poster for either of the last two movies. May do up to 3 total. 25 points.

If you could recast any character, who would you have play the character and why? May do up to 10. 10 points.

Things That Were

Create short biographies for fictional members of the original Order of the Phoenix. May do up to 10. 15 points.

Create short biographies for fictional former headmasters of Hogwarts. May do up to 5. 15 points.

Were there ever any romances between the Hogwarts founders? Why or why not? 10 points.

What is something that Rowena Ravenclaw invented? May do up to 5. 5 points.

Speculate on the past of any adult in the HP universe. May do up to 3. 15 points.

If you were recruiting someone (a fiction character or someone real) to become a Death Eater, who would you pick and why? May do up to 10. 5 points.

Speculate on some of the things that happened to the other Defense Against the Dark Arts professors prior to those in the books. May do up to 5. 10 points each.

Name another magic school like Hogwarts. Where is it located? Does it have houses or groups like Hogwarts? Who is the headmaster/mistress? Does it have any sort of reputation in the wizarding community? Give additional details. May do up to 3. 20 points.

Things To Come

Now that Voldemort is dead, will the curse of the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor be lifted? 5 points.

What will happen to a Hogwarts students not mentioned in the epilogue? May do up to 5. 5 points.

Will Percy Weasley ever become Minister of Magic? 5 points.

What will happen to Cornelius Fudge? 5 points.

Create a fictional future for any of the main characters. May do up to 5. 10 points.

What are some of the adventures Harry and Ron and Hermione?s kids will have at Hogwarts? May do up to 10. 10 points.

Did Harry, Ron and Hermione take their NEWT exams eventually? 10 points. Suggested by Mar17swgirl

House Pride

Make a House motto. Note: this must be either a direct or slightly modified quote from any of the seven HP books. You may also use a funny description of your HC team. ie: ?We have mor

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Awww, you should've kept it as I originally suggested, with teachers as judges and Snape being Simon Cowell... :p

But yay, tasks! [face_dancing] This should be fun! :D

EDIT: Also, all new Slytherins who don't have access to our private board yet, PM me!

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    W00T! TASKLIST! [/one day late] :p

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Nat, important question: Do the unlimited book titles have to be in the "Harry Potter and the ..." format? Or can we have something like "Harry Potter - Where Harry Pwns Hermione In Potions"? :p

14. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I believe I'm still stuck in the validating member group on the Slytherin boards.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You should be all set now. :)

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Most excellent.

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *sigh*

Anyone who doesn't have the link to Ravenclaw, let me know!

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yes, you can do the latter.

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Ravenclaw's prefects will be up someday. Yubs is in Europe and won't be back until Friday, and I'm leaving for Comic-Con right after that. :p

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] Well, Ravenclaw has enough returning players that I can guess who the prefects would be and contact accordingly if I need anything.

Or bug RJ, since that's always fun :p

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I can envision it now...

"Bother bother bother bother bother bother bother bother bother bother--!" [/Harry Potter Puppet Pals]

8-}

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    [voice_Ron] I like the part where he stops moving. :) [/voice]

23. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    It's a cornucopia of love! [face_love]

24. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    ^^

Awwwwwww. [face_love]

So, updates this weekend, ouais? :D [face_hypnotized] :D

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I guess we'll start, then. :p

SLYTHERIN WEEK 1 UPDATE

BOOKS

Which of the characters who died in Book 7 would you have spared? Why? How would the overall storyline be affected by this change? 10 points.

Hedwig would be my choice. For Harry, Hedwig sent the message that no one was safe. Her death also represented a loss of innocence. But I would argue that the deaths of Moody, Lupin, Tonks, Fred and numerous others already hit this point.

Hedwig was an invaluable companion to Harry and fiercely loyal. She proved to be very useful throughout the novels and certainly could have impacted the plot of the 7th book in numerous ways by transporting messages or scouting ahead. While not as powerful as Fawkes the phoenix, Hedwig was always by Harry's side. Hedwig's survival would also prove that there is still hope in the world. The color white often embodies hope, purity and general goodness. Her death only showed the death of such things. And yet, throughout the book, there is plenty of hope, purity and goodness exhibited by many of the characters. Hedwig could have served as Harry's beacon that the chosen one was still out there and still fighting. Instead, her death was overshadowed and forgotten about quickly by the bloodbath of the 7th book.

[Yodaminch]

Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points.

1. Kneazle hair: increases intelligence when consumed
    2. Thestral hair: causes levitation
    3. Hippogriff talon: enhances fingernail strength
    4. Hippocampus hair: increases the ability to see underwater
    5. Griffin hair: enhances human strength and endurance
    6. Merpeople-cultivated Seaweed: enhances human swimming abilities
    7. Cockatrice scales: induces lethargy; petrification is caused in large doses
    8. Porlock hoof: causes distrust and suspicion and enhances paranoia
    9. Salamander scales: enhances ability to withstand fire
    10. Jarvey fur: increases talkativity in humans

[Idrelle_Miocovani]

Who is a top-notch professor at Hogwarts, past or present? Why? May do up to 3. 10 points.

1. Minerva McGonagall was a top-notch professor at Hogwarts. While she was very strict with her students, her strictness was very important in ensuring that nothing serious happened to her students. Transfiguration was not a subject to be toyed with and if you couldn't do it safely, then you had no business in her class. While she was the head of Gryffindor House, she never displayed favouritism when it came to her classes. While she could be very serious, she never dealt out an unfair punishment and she always kept her students' best interests at heart.

2. Remus Lupin was an excellent Hogwarts professor. When he was teaching DADA at Hogwarts, his students learned quickly and were very successful in their studies, especially the third years. While he was kind, he could also give out punishments when they were necessary. He handled all of the dangers that come with a DADA class with ease and if his lycanthropy hadn't been exposed, he would have been a very beneficial teacher for all students to come.

3. Filius Flitwick was also a wonderful Hogwarts professor. Due to the nature of Charms, his classes were always filled with activity, but nothing negative ever really happened. There was never an irreversible accident in his class. Furthermore, if a student was struggling, he was able to help them, sometimes by giving out extra ? but necessary ? homework. This homework ensured that the student would come to understand what they were learning. Flitwick was also known for making sure that his students pass their OWLs.

[Idrelle_Miocovani]

If a Triwizard Tournament took place at Beauxbatons or Durmstrang, what means of unique magical transport would the Hogwarts delegation use to get there? 10 points.

The Hogwarts' transport system w

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.