Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 22, 2010.
(PS the links for my second and third Hogwarts club posters aren't right ).
Nice one there, Slytherin!!
(Idri, if you want to repost those or something, I'll just edit them in.)
Week One was fuuun. Here's to Week Two also being fuuun.
Nat, Posters 2 and 3 for your viewing...ship. Viewership? Ahh, whatever.
Yay! Thank you much
Gryffindor Update For Week 1
*searches through trunk*
Let's see... socks for S.P.E.W., History of Magic Book, time-turner,... ah, here it is.
*holds the Remembrall in her hand and watches it turn red*
Uh-oh. What did I forget? The Update? No, I'm doing it now. Let's see... oh, looks like we forgot Movies, Things that Were, Things to Come, and House Pride.
*Remembrall smoke remains red*
Still forgetting something. Hmmm... The Creative Spirit, The Artistic Spirit, and The Literary Spirit
*stares at red smoke*
Oh! The Quidditch Spirit.
*Remembrall smoke turns white again*
Now for the things we remembered...
Create a spell, including the name, the word that makes it happen, and what it does. May do up to 10. 5 points.
Spell Name: Cooling Charm
Description: Cools the body temperature; great for both warm days and fevered patients with high temperatures.
Spell Name: Concealing Charm
Description: Conceals the targeted feature on one's body for 3 hours.
Spell Name: Pink-Sprinkling Rain Cloud Charm
Description: Summons a raining pink-sprinkles cloud over the head of the target. It will last for four hours, unless met with its counter curse, and the target will generally be covered in glittering pink from head to toe. NB: if any spell other than the counter spell is thrown at it, the cloud will pour even more pink sprinkles.
Spell Name: Hair Extension Charm
Incantation: Prolato coma
Description: Lengthens one's hair till the caster breaks the spell with a sharp jab upwards.
Spell Name: Weed Repellent Charm
Incantation: Repello sarrire
Description: Conjures a green liquid from the tip of the wand that serves as weed repellent. Practical for all garderners - amateurs and professionals alike.
Spell Name: Flaring Organs Curse
Incantation: Ardeo visceris
Description: A dark curse that burns the target's internal organs.
Spell Name: The Stabbing Needles Curse
Incantation: Acustransigo [latin word for the specific limb targeted]
Description: Focusing on the targeted limb, this curse sends the feeling of million needles stabbing repeatedly. The curse requires concentration from the caster and will stop the minute the concentration is broken.
Spell Name: Singing Charm
Description: Makes the target not speak but sing everything.
Spell Name: Chocolate Flavouring Spell
Description: Gives a chocolate flavour to the targeted food.
Spell Name: Rainbow Bubbles Charms
Incantation: Coloverti Bubblio
Description: Conjures a variety of coloured bubbles that float in the air for 3-4 minutes.
Make up titles for textbooks (must be funny/clever) for any class. May do up to 10. 5 points.
From Toilet to Tree: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration (Transfiguration)
The Art of Not Poisoning Yourself (Potions)
Through a Cracked Up Crystal Ball (Divination, controversial reading)
Starstruck: Surviving Collisions with Meteors (Astronomy)
What on Earth Is That?!: The Big Book of Odd Magical Creatures (Care of Magical Creatures)
If You Fall Off a Broomstick, You'll Die: Flying Tips for Novices (Flying)
Don't Poke That, It Could Be Evil! (Defense Against the Dark Arts)
The Big Boring Book of Dead People (History)
Never Stick it In Your Mouth: The Index of Poisonous Plants (Herbology)
Studying: Student and Dying Put Together (The Hogwarts Study Guide)
the Musical Spirit
Take any song and rewrite it so that it is an HP-related parody. May do up to 5. Please post which song your version came from (title/artist, but not necessarily lyrics). 40 points.
- Bonus: Record your parody for an additional 90 points. Recording must be in
Boo. I'll either bug Yubs or post ours up tonight after work.
Which of the Weasley children would you have killed and why? 10 points.
Personally, I would have killed off Ginny, but as the only Weasley female child, she's safe. Bill and George have already been injured, making them safe. Charlie's role is so small that his death wouldn't have been nearly as shocking or emotional as Fred. Ron's death would have damaged Hermione's character. Killing Percy after he had been estranged from the family would have been provided great emotional guilt for the other members of the family, but it would not have affected the reader's strongly. That leaves Fred. Fred is a favorite character and seen as the other half to George. Readers were given an emotional shock.
Which of the books was the most enjoyable? Why? 10 points.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was and still is the most enjoyable book of all seven. While many people may stop and think that other books were better and more important, lets take a look at some of the things that happen in this book.
1. Harry gets his first real good long look into the wizarding world
2. Harry learns how important he is to the wizarding work (at that point)
3. Harry finds out he has ?family? in Sirius, and Lupin
4. Harry hears his parents for the ?first? time
5. Gets his firebolt
6. The beginning of the back story of James, Lilly and Snape
7. The Introduction of the Marauder's Map.
8. The one on one defeat of Draco
9. The second real prophecy by Sybill Trelawney
10. The learning and the mastery of the Patronus charm
Each of these 10 items come up again one time or another in the following Harry Potter books. This book also sheds light on the type of student James was, and gives a foundation for the type of student Harry is, and starts the journey for the man Harry becomes.
While each book has merits and adds to the cannon that is Harry Potter, this book begins the real sense of history that allows the story to flourish and grow.
What scenes might be omitted from the Deathly Hallows movies? Why would they be omitted? May do up to 5. 10 points.
1. Hedwig's death, while sad and symbolic, is unnecessary to show. It's obvious that the movie has a darker tone than the others do. Those few seconds showing the death slows the movie.
2. The Epilogue is irrelevant. It's already a given that Hermione and Ron are together, as are Harry and Ginny. The end is somewhat cheesy, especially the children's names. This could be left out because of these factors, it disrupts the flow of the movie, or the actors simply do not look natural.
3. Elphias Doge obituary, while interesting, wouldn't flow well with the movie. Harry reading the piece out loud would be long and drawn out. I can see Warner Brothers wanting to minimized his time with the Dursleys.
4. Harry's birthday party isn't necessary. The Minister of Magic can come to the Burrow whenever. Having an actual birthday event would take up extra time in the film. It's nice to read, but watching Harry open presents just slows down the movie.
5. The scene in Umbridge's office with workers making anti-Muggle born
pamphlets would slow the movie down. As readers, we want to know what's going on. Most of the movie audience already disliked Umbridge. Seeing her use Moody's eyes won't affect that opinion.
STUFF THAT HAPPENED
What is something that Rowena Ravenclaw invented? May do up to 5. 5 points.
- Rowena Ravenclaw invented toothpaste, since she hated how Godric's breath smelled in the morning.
- Rowena Ravenclaw invented the Time-Turner, so she could ensure that all of her tasks got finished properly.
- Rowena Ravenclaw invented Velociraptors, because she is just that cool.
- Rowena Ravenclaw invented the Rubix Cube, since only those with cunning minds could be in her House.
- Rowena Ravenclaw invented the Snuggie. Just because. But hers were all blue, not this pink nonsense.
Create some LOLPOTTERS, using HP-
I assume tocanning is Todca Muoak?
Yes, it is!
... er, I don't know for sure, I'm just saying "yes, it is" for the heck of it.
You crack me up
Umm... points plz?
Nat told me a few days ago that she was getting to it - she's just procrastinating first.
But as that is...
Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy = teh HAWTness personified
That was true a few days ago. Now I'm just sick (Nothing too bad, don't worry, and as I'm sick of just laying here, I'm working on them and should have them up tonight.)
*thinks about extra LOLPOTTERS to represent being worried*
WEEK ONE (aka playerz can haz pointz - for srs)
Miana Kenobi: 25
Gotta say, without Hufflepuff, the list looks lonely and not as colorful
So, points recap. The teams seem to have their individual points leaders pretty evenly spread out (exceptfor Idri - huge shock, she did a ton ). And even though Slytherin is far ahead, it's still anyone's game, especially this early. Not fun to see so many zeroes, but everyone still has time. Hopefully we can all make it above 65 . . .
(And, for those of you who haevn't played before/didn't realize last time - players are listed first by point amount, then by aplhabet. So that's why the guy who did the same amount as you is listed higher.)
Also remember (because I didn't say it before): I have Excel scoresheets that do math for me, but they are very much subject to human (aka my) error. So if you're keeping track of your House's points and you see something funky, let me know.
booooo alphabet....im in last place
Doing even one task this week would bump you a lot . . .
How my wife is ahead of me, I'll never know. LOL
But I have a big video that will boost me up over her I think. MUAHAHA
I'll never tell.
I think it's funny that you two chose different teams