main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 17 - Congratulations, Gryffindor!! -- Game 18 dates announced!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010

I actually finished several tasks, Ravenclaw just hasnt been able to update everything from week 1

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Ah, gotcha. Well, tell them to make sure to stick them in this weekend :D

3. Jedi-Ant

Jedi-Ant Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2007
    I've pulled out of the game, so... just so I don't get game-banned for having zero points.

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( Okay, thanks for letting me know [:D]

5. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Gryffindor Update For Week 2

Books

...are currently holding up the corner of my bed...

Movies

... I may have watched too many this week...

Things that Were

...were...

Things to Come

...haven't happened yet...

House Pride

Create a Chocolate Frog card (can be just text) for any member of your House Cup team. May do up to 2. 15 points.

Frog Card of QueenArdnassak
    [image=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/NataLekku/HouseCup/CFCArdy.jpg]

Frog Card of DarthHelinith
    [image=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii90/NataLekku/HouseCup/chfrogdh.jpg]

-Earwen_Lightrider

Humor

Challenge fic - Must include all of the following in a fic about Hogwarts or anything in the HPverse:
    - ?Never tell me the odds!?
    - Peeves
    - Bipping (bipping=throwing a loaf of bread or other convenient object at someone?s head, usually when they are being stupid)
    - An internet meme reference of some sort (for example, lolcats or orly/yarly)
    - Lyrics from any song. Ever. Identify it somehow.
    - Voldemort singing his part of the song from The Mysterious Ticking Noise video (language warning in the comments section).
    - "We Earth Men have a talent for ruining big, beautiful things."
    - A reference to cake.
    - snow
    - Cedric Diggory meeting Edward Cullen
    150 points.

Bald Spot

"You're back," Dumbledore observed dryly, measuring up the young woman standing before him. "I certainly hope you don't plan on burning down the school again. We just got it rebuilt from the last time."

"I know, and I'm sooooo sorry about that!" the young woman blushed. "It was? an accident?"

"We both know better than that," Dumbledore sighed, then smiled. "But it is good to see you again, my dear. Is Snape still in love with you?"

"Snape wasn't in love with me!" the girl put her hands on her hips. "I used the Force and made him be nice to me!"

"What about Ronald Weasley?"

"He might still be in love with me. I don't know." She shrugged and shot him a crooked grin.

"Another house cup?" Dumbledore asked.

"You know it!"

"What do you need this time?"

"I need a lock of Harry's hair."

Dumbledore sighed again. "Ardy, you can't expect him to want to give you a lock of hair, can you?"

"It couldn't hurt to ask!" Ardy told him, putting her hands on her hips.

"But the odds of him?"

"I'm a Corellian, professor," she interrupted him. "Never tell me the odds!"

Dumbledore shrugged. "I suppose you can try. You have my permission."

"Yay!" she gave him a quick hug then darted out of his office.

Ardnassak Emil, Ardy for short, was a Sith warrior who was playing in the Hogwarts House Cup on Korriban. She was the designated earth-girl, meaning that she needed to use the Force to go to Hogwarts and get things that were worth a certain amount of points. She was in Gryffindor house, which was why she expected Harry to help her.

Unfortunately, it was not Harry Potter who saw her wandering around on the Hogwarts grounds, it was Draco Malfoy, whom she'd had a not-so-nice encounter with on her last trip. "You're back," his snide voice sounded from behind her.

"Yup, yup!" she turned around and grinned enthusiastically. "Did you miss me?"

"Not at all," he told her.

"Well, you're just rude," she rolled her eyes as Crabbe and Goyle walked up behind Malfoy to flank him. "Did you happen to know where I could find Harry Potter?"

"No, I don't happen to know," Draco glared at her. "But I do happen to know where someone who can get you away from here for good is! Accio Voldemort!"

Suddenly, flying through the air and landing next to them was a very real and very naked Voldemort. He had a shower cap on top of his head and was scrubbing his back with a sponge while singi

6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've done tasks too!

Ravenclaw will get caught up on the updates, believe there was some travelling going on.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Slytherin's will be rolling in... sometime. :p

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Okay, okay, I'll post the Slytherin update shortly... :p Sorry, I've been too busy swooning over the new "Sherlock" miniseries by Stephen Moffat, first episode of which aired just last night... It's bloody brilliant, and I totally love Benedict Cumberbatch as a modern-day Holmes. :D

9. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    woah woah woah......a sherlock miniseries???/ details please (sorry if COMPLETLY off topic)

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] So that's where you went. :p I should have known better. 8-}

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's just three 90-minute episodes, airing on three consecutive Sundays (starting with yesterday). Written by Stephen Moffat and produced by him and Mark Gatiss (another Doctor Who regular), it's a 21st century version of Holmes, loosely adapted from the Conan Doyle stories. Holmes is played by Benedict Cumberbatch, Watson by Martin Freeman. Trailer here. The first episode was fantastic (to me it's a bit Doctor Who meets CSI meets House, M.D. - the latter because of Cumberbatch's resemblance to Hugh Laurie... :p Well, he did play his son in another series... :p) and I can't wait for more. Pity there's only the three episodes... :(

EDIT: And if you ask me, despite the modern setting, it's much more true to the original books than the RDJ film... :p (but I liked that, too)

EDIT 2: Also, Cumberbatch hinted heavily at a role in multiple Doctor Who episodes in Series 6. I totally want him to be the next Master now. :D

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    SLYTHERIN WEEK 2 UPDATE

THINGS TO COME

What are some of the adventures Harry and Ron and Hermione?s kids will have at Hogwarts? May do up to 10. 10 points.

1. Forbidden Forest Race. Lily and Hugo decided to challenge Al and Rose to a competition to see who could race through the obstacles of the Forbidden Forest the fastest. Lily and Hugo won by default because they found the old Flying Ford Anglia in the woods and flew to their destination. Rose disqualified them, and then got into a fight with Hugo about it because he said there were no rules about not flying. In the end, it didn't matter much because all four of them got detention, much to the amusement of James who, for once, was not in detention.

2. The Great Lake Race. Some months after the Forbidden Forest Race, Lily and Hugo challenged Al and Rose to see who could swim across the lake the fastest. James joined them at the last minute and ended up outstripping all of them when he coaxed a ride from the Giant Squid. He was the only one to win the race because the lake was too big for the others to swim across without help. Rose disqualified James because they were supposed to swim, not have the swimming done for them. James claimed he was merely being resourceful.

3. The Accidental Time Loop. Lily, like her aunt, became very interested in many different subjects in her third year at Hogwarts. Lily was granted a Time Turner (one of a recently-made batch), but accidentally walked into the Room of Requirement with it on. This caused a time loop where she was stuck doing the same day over and over again until she managed to get Al's attention and have him break her out of it. They kept the time loop a secret, because Lily could have been expelled for abusing the time turner's powers.

4. Renaissance Fair. Hogwarts threw a Renaissance fair when all of the kids were at Hogwarts. This included reenactments of what it was like to live as a witch or wizard during the Renaissance. The Potter/Weasley kids spent the day running around trying to show off that they knew how to behave like proper Renaissance witches and wizards - until Lily decided that she would not wear the dress anymore and exchanged it for men's clothes. She went the rest of the day pretending to be a boy.

5. The Academic Ferret. During on Transfiguration class, Rose accidentally turned Scorpius Malfoy into a ferret (much to the laughter of her parents, aunt and uncle and much to the dismay of Draco). Scorpius somehow managed to retain his intelligence and spent the day bothering Rose to take notes for him so he wouldn't fall behind in class. Eventually, the spell wore off, turning Scorpius back into himself.

6. The Animagi Mishap. In their seventh year, Al and Rose decided that they would become animagi. Despite their best efforts, the best attempts they got was turning themselves into, first, half-fish, half-humans, and second, animate mushrooms.

7. Herbology Explosion. An incident with too much magical fertilizer caused Greenhouse Three to go beserk when its plants started growing at extreme rates. Al and Rose tried to stop it, but only managed to set all of the plants alight and cause the greenhouse to explode, much to the displeasure of Professor Longbottom.

8. Cyber-magic. James had been trying for years to get technology and magic to work alongside each other. During one of his experiments, he brought a laptop with him to Hogwarts. When he tried to get it to work, it seemed to go smoothly for a bit, until it exploded, setting part of the library on fire. Luckily, he was able to put it out, but that didn't save him from the wrath of his aunt.

9. The Great Cheese Incident. A trip to the kitchens went horribly awry when James somehow managed to accidentally enchant all of the cheese, turning it into gigantic cheese balls that were determined to wreck Hogwarts. For an entire afternoon, everyone was running away from the magical cheese until the teachers managed to u

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Aang's glider [Avatar: The Last Airbender]/Harry's Firebolt, because it's a match made in heaven. Literally!

*snort*

Mar, yous teh awesome-est. :D

PS I highly suggest to everyone to write young Voldemort, 'cause he's AWESOME. :cool: [face_devil]

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks much, Gryffindor and Slytherin! I'll count points tomorrow, so hopefully Ravenclaw will post their update soon . . .

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm still on vacation. [face_tired]

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I know :p I was hoping one of the other presumable prefects would :p

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    They're still on vacation. :p

BOOOOOKS

What happened to Kreacher and Number 12, Grimmauld Place after the events of the Deathly Hallows? 15 points. Task suggestion by Mar17swgirl

I think what most likely would have happened is that Kreacher would have remained at Number 12, Grimmauld Place. He appeared to enjoy living there since he was surrounded by the Black family memories. I also think Kreacher would be one of those house-elves who would reject the idea of being free. Since Harry and Kreacher developed a relationship in the Deathly Hollows, I think he would have known better and left Kreacher where he was most happiest. Number 12 Grimmauld Place would no longer have to be a hide out following the events of the Deathly Hallows. Harry would no longer need the house and would most likely have left it to the only person who liked living there, namely Kreacher. I think the place would continue to exist for as long as Kreacher lives. Kreacher would probably keep it better shape since bonding with Harry.

[DarthBabe]

Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points.

1. Toenail clippings of a Giant: has magical resistance properties, due to its size it is easier to use in large batches, high cost due to harvesting issues.

2. Goblin Earwax: Can increase concentration for a brief period of time, banned substance in schools

3. Houseelf tears: very potent sterilizing agent, useful in potions where maintaining sterility is important. Also a favorite amoungst busy house witches.

4. Centaur Sweat: Diluent that can bring out latent magical properties of seemingly inactive ingredients.

5. Whomping willow branch: Inert substance that causes hysteria when mixed with centaur sweat. Used in poisons to cause madness.

6. Bacon Bits: Magically makes even the worst tasting potion taste great :p

7. Warlocks Beard: Increases potency of many potions. Thought to be the result of absorbing magic while residing on the face of a powerful wizard. Efficacy increases with the age of the wizard it is harvested from

8. Thestral blood: Invisibility properties, must be mixed with other ingredients in a potion for the invisibility effect to work on people who have seen death.

9. Werewolf Salivia: Increases speed, must be mixed with other ingredients to prevent the werewolf infection from spreading. Tightly controlled substance, only legally available to master potion makers registered with the ministry.

10. Vampire Fangs: Increases heart rate, used in potions as an additive to allow potion to circulate through the drinker's body faster.

[wedge41388]

MOVIES

If you could redo one movie, which would it be? Why? 15 points.

I would redo Order of the Phoenix, given the chance.

Why? Mostly because of my classic rant about the 2 most important things taken out of the film. While I understand that the screenwriter, Michael Goldenberg, has an almost impossible task of condensing that beast of a book into 1 novel, he did okay but he spends his time focusing all his attention on Harry's love life. Which yes, this is a film about Harry, and we as an audience need to feel an emotion attachment to Harry, we also really need to know what's going on in the background. There's a few moments of simple genius, even from parts not in the book. For example, Harry and Neville's moment in the Room of Requirement as Neville talks about his parents. Not as amazing as it could have been to see Alice and Frank at St. Mungos (and LOCKHART), but the way it ended up in the movie was simple and powerfully effective.

My largest beef with the film is that the ending needs to be redone. Or at least, pretty much all of the Department of Mysteries, starting with Sirius' death. That scene needs to be WAY more powerful than it actually is, and it's a very simple fix. You cut the soundtrack and just have the predominant

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Super late, but considering between the 2 head prefects, we have 3 conventions this game? Yeah...

RAVENCLAW PREFECTS

Head Prefect - Miana Kenobi
    Daughter_of_YubYub
    TheStandmaiden
    Rogue...Jedi

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] That's exactly what I thought it would be, so no prob :)

21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It's funny how Idri alone has more points than Gryffindor and Ravenclaw combined... :p

SLYTHERIN WEEK 3 UPDATE

BOOKS

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. May do up to 3. 15 points.

?There you go,? [James] said, as Snape struggled to his feet. ?You?re lucky Evans was here, Snape??
    ?I don?t need help from filthy little Mudbloods like her!?
    Lily blinked.
    ?Fine,? she said coolly. ?I won?t bother in the future. And I?d wash your pants if I were you, Snivellus.? (Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 28)

Snape?s story is the undercurrent of the entire series ? if Snape had acted in different ways, then Harry?s life would have been very different. His relationship with Lily Evans was at the centre of most of his actions, which is why I?ve singled out this quote from OOTP. Though we don?t know it at the time, Lily was Snape?s best friend (and love interest) ? up until this moment. Then it all falls apart as he calls her a ?Mudblood? (and you can see her visibly shocked in this quote, though until all the pieces are placed together, it is difficult to understand what the line ?Lily blinked? means) and as we see in the Pensieve scenes from Deathly Hallows, Lily doesn?t forgive him for it. If Snape hadn?t called Lily a Mudblood, then this scene would have ended differently. They would have stayed friends ? and they remained friends, I doubt Snape would have joined the Death Eaters. Without Snape acting as a double agent, Voldemort?s plans and Dumbledore?s choices to counteract them would have gone very differently. With Snape gone, a different Death Eater would have been chosen to do the things he did. Who is to say that Snape?s replacement would have heard the same half of the Prophecy Snape did? Or maybe his replacement would have heard all of it ? or none at all? On the extreme end of things, who is to say that Lily would have dated and married James if Snape had remained her friend? Harry?s life has irrevocably been shaped by Snape?s actions. These lines from OOTP shows the exact moment that eventually caused Snape to join the Death Eaters in the first place ? the destruction of his friendship with Lily, and Lily essentially turning on him to join James (as she calls Snape by the same awful nickname James has given him).

?Severus??
    The sound frightened Harry beyond anything he had experienced all evening. For the first time, Dumbledore was pleading.
    Snape said nothing, but walking forwards and pushed Malfoy roughly out of the way. The three Death Eaters fell back without a word. Even the werewolf seemed cowed.
    Snape gazed for a moment at Dumbledore, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face.
    ?Severus? please??
    Snape raised his wand.
    ?Avada Kedavra!? (Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 27)

If anything, JKR is a master of misdirection. The first time you read this scene, if you aren?t too busy pulling an ?OMG, Snape killed DUMBLEDORE!!!!? stunt, you?ll be firmly wrapped up in the ?proof? that ?Snape is evil.? If you look over the passage, words like ?Dumbledore pleading?, ?revulsion?, ?hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face? all have a ?Snape hates Dumbledore, Snape is evil? ring to them. But the fact of the matter is that we are seeing things through Harry?s eyes ? and also, every word has multiple meanings in different situations. I believe that all the descriptions of Snape?s actions in this scene are correct ? Harry just doesn?t yet understand why Snape acts the way he does, and therefore the reader doesn?t, either. I have always been in the ?Snape is good? camp, so I had a gut feeling that there was something else going on in this scene. Of course, once we have all of the information from Deathly Hallows, this scene makes sense. Snape does have visible hatred and revulsion ? hatred for being f

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Theatre student. :cool:

Have I mentioned that's my response for everything these days? [face_batting] :p

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    RAVENCLAW's WEEK 3 UPDATE

BOOKS

Create a spell, including the name, the word that makes it happen, and what it does. May do up to 10. 5 points.

1. Name: Cinema Hex
    Incantation: Titulus Locutus
    Description: Causes the target to only speak in movie titles
    2.Name: Copycat Jinx
    Incantation: Effingo
    Description: Causes target to repeat everything the caster says or does
    3. Name: Garden Weeder
    Incantation: Runco
    Description: Removes weeds from even the most infested gardens
    4. Name: Wrinkle Release
    Incantation: Ferrum Vestis
    Description: removes wrinkles from clothes
    5. Name: Morse Hex
    Incantation: Infractus Narro
    Description: Causes the target to speak only in dots and dashes of the muggle morse code system
    6. Name: Anti-perspire
    Incantation: Corpusaquas Confuto
    Description: prevents the castor from sweating even in the hottest or most dire situations
    7. Name: Muggle Telly wand
    Incantation: Vicissitudo Canalis
    Description: For when you cannot find the muggle wand to your telly-vision, this will allow you to change the channel
    8. Name: Cold Spell
    Incantation: Frigus
    Description: Causes cone of cold energy shoot from the castors wand at its target, can freeze target
    9. Name: Translator spell
    Incantation: Lingua Magister
    Description: Allows the castor to speak so people will understand in their native language, while allowing castor to understand any language spoke to him/her
    10. Name: Writing Spell
    Incantation: Scripsi Scriptum
    Description: Allows the castor to enchant a quill to write whatever the castor wants

[wedge41388]

MOVIES

What omitted scenes do you think should have been in the movies? Why? May do up to 10. 10 points.

Using the two latest movies will do for the 10. Five from each movie.
    Order of Phoenix:
    1. Leaving out Harry?s feelings towards Ron and Hermione becoming Prefect notices. In the books, this portion details Harry?s underlying frustration of feeling left out of everything. This would have set up in the movie for Harry to be the angry 15 year old he was in that book. The movie left this part out for time I am sure thinking that this was not as important as other things. But this part helps build the frustration that Harry is feeling, and eventually when he yells at his friends, the let go of emotion feels more natural in the book than in the movie.
    2. O.W.L.?s: In the books, these tests are defined as something of a write of passage for students. The books do a wonderful job (even going back to GoF) detailing how important these tests are. The movie makes the O.W.L.?s to be not that big of a deal. The movie could have added more into the back ground about how much the students are studying for these tests. As for a pacing issue in the movie, even if a ?time laps? montage was done showing the students studying and worrying about tests the movie could have given so much more to the ?normal? life of a student.
    3. Harry and Cho (the break up): In the book, Cho is not the person who turns in the DA, but her friend Marietta who turns in the DA. The movie has Cho doing the deed, and leaving out her friend completely. I failed to see why this basic element of the story was left out of the book. Cho had her faults, but she was no snitch. The movie gives the impression that Harry and Cho break up because of Cho telling on them. The book offers a different version of the break up. Harry has lost respect for Cho, and that is the end.
    4. The Marauders Map. Not in the movie at all. Needs to be there to show Harry looking for teachers while he is going to DA meetings.
    5. S.P.E.W. Nothing in movie about this movement and how the actions of one are affecting the life style of the students. Another good subplot that could have helped brought the chacters out more and given more life to the movies.

Half Blood Prince:
    6. Bill and Fleur: Nothing in the movie about the two of them. This of course means that the beginning of the next movie is going to be comepl

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Um, what's to figure out? :p Wasn't it all obvious right from the start? :p

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I actually haven't seen it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.