main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 18 - Winner: Ravenclaw

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I demand an extra day at the end of the game :p I'll be in bed before the tasks are posted.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sorry! I spent an hour and a half trying to connect to the Internet this morning before I had to leave. Tasks tonight!

Nicholas: Sorry! I don't check my email [face_blush] Yeah, spamming the welcome thread is the way to do it.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Task Instructions

If you?re new, you need to read this. If you?re not, you should review, just in case (and I changed a couple minor things).

Task List Version 16
    Sections:
    1. Books
    2. Movies
    3. Things that Were
    4. Things to Come
    5. House Pride
    6. Humor (Humr)
    7. The Creative Spirit
    8. The Artistic Spirit
    9. The Literary Spirit
    10. The Musical Spirit
    11. The Dramatic Spirit
    12. Absolutely Random

The point value on tasks generally tells you how long it should be. But here are some general guidelines. These are the minimum; feel free to go over (though I don?t give extra points for that).
    • 5 points: one sentence

• 10 points: a few sentences

• 15 points: a paragraph

• 20 points: two paragraphs

• Longer: the more points, the more I want

Generally, if it?s more than 15 points, there?s a bit of writing involved. I have upped points for fanfic and music tasks (and art), to make it more fair for the amount of work. For fanfics (or anything like a fanfic), shoot for 1,500 words. Since I upped the points and decreased the word count, that really does mean 1,500. Not that anyone turned in a one-page fanfic last time.

Icons: you have to make them 50x50, 30x90, or 90x30 ? those are the icons that the JC supports, and the winning team?s icon gets uploaded for them to use for a week. If no one on the team has the ability to make icons, I?ll either send/post guides or I?ll do it (though obviously that means it wouldn?t count as a task).

Day in the Life: These are different from the VSDs in that they're about the random little details of a day in the life of one character (aka they should be funny)... Some serious stuff can be included, but overall, it should be funny. Example:
    A Day in the Life of Harry Potter (this is courtesy of Nicky and she didn't do the whole day, but you get the picture)
    8:00AM ? Woke up.
    8:03AM ? Remembered that I have to go to classes today,
    8:04AM ? Rolled over and went back to sleep.
    8:13AM ? What is that incessant knocking?
    8:15AM ? Stupid Hermione. I KNOW that it's after 8 AM. Just because she's up at 6AM every day doing extra homework...
    8:16AM ? Decide to get dressed, as do not wish to enter Great Hall in my pink teddy bear pajamas.
    8:20AM ? Dressed. Accidentally put hat on foot. Whoops.
    8:21AM ? Open door to go downstairs. Discover Hermione with her nose 3/4 of an inch away from said door. Give her weird look, but decide not to ask.
    8:27AM ? Almost get eaten by random giant hairball-type of thing. Run screaming toward the Great Hall.
    8:29AM ? Am informed that hairball is actually new DADA teacher. Why does no one tell me anything anymore?
    8:33AM ? Mmmm... food....

Obviously this has changed a bit since it's on Twitter now. Same basic idea, max. 140 characters per post.

Head Boy/Girl Competition: Authorship of Tasks must be posted so that it may be determined who is the Head Boy or Girl. Simply add 'By [username here]' after each completed Task and I will add up how many points each member has contributed. The Head Boy or Girl will be announced at the same time as the winning House is, and this person will receive the title "Head Boy/Girl" (or whatever will fit in their title) for the week that the winning House has their colors, and the runner-up will get 72 hours (if a mod wins, prizes get bumped down to the next in line). The Head Boy/Girl does not necessarily have to be from the winning house.

Tasks and how to not repeat them: Some tasks say ?can do up to 3 times? or something. That means you can do them up to 3 times ? and that?s 'you' as a House. One person from the team can do each task, unless a three-time task is split so one person does two, another does one, etc.) So for old players, same as usual. The exceptions are for music and drama tasks where multiple people contribute (though if that's the case, the House can only get the points once). And, obviously, if the task specifies multiple contributers, you'll each get poin

4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    BOOKS

Why did JKR give certain characters certain names? Analyze the name of any character. May do up to 3. 5 points.

If you were to rename a book, what would you call it and why? May do up to 7 (one for each book). 5 points.

Can Muggles (relatives of wizards, for instance) travel by Floo Network, Portkey, or Side-along Apparition? Give reasons why yes or no. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points.

What scene would you add to an HP book and why? 15 points.

Describe a Patronus of any character (except those we already know from the books). May do up to 5. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 5 points.

Who do you think is the best Death Eater and why? 10 points.

What was the coolest wizarding duel and why? 10 points.

What one character do you think had the most influence on Harry?s life (and yes, you have to pick just one). 20 points.

How do Muggle-borns first get into Diagon Alley when they don't have a wand yet? Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 5 points.

What does Albus Dumbledore really see in the Mirror of Erised? 10 points.

MOVIES

If you were in charge of nominations for the Oscars, what awards would you nominate Deathly Hallows for and why? (Or if you don?t think it deserved any nominations, why?) 15 points.

What scenes were deleted from Deathly Hallows that you think should be added back and why? May do up to 2. 10 points.

What scenes were added/changed in Deathly Hallows that you like? May do up to 2. 10 points.

What scenes were added/changed in Deathly Hallows that you don?t like? May do up to 2. 10 points.

Write a review of Deathly Hallows. 20 points.

Do you think ending DH Part I with Harry burying Dobby was a good choice? Why or why not? 15 points.

If you were to choose a new director for one (or more) of the movies, who would it be and why? 15 points.

What do you think the lasting legacy of the HP movies will be (or will they not have one)? 20 points.

Who was a better Dumbledore, Michael Gambon or Richard Harris? 15 points.

Given the changes in direction, do you think the HP movies as a whole are cohesive, or do their different styles seem choppy when put together? 15 points.

Give an example of an exemplary scene from one of the movies and describe what makes it so great. May do up to 5. 10 points.

Vote in the ?What is your favorite HP movie v3? poll. Then post and explain why. May do as many as smallest House has players (so, 3 ? though I encourage everyone to vote anyway). 10 points.

Create a Harry Potter trailer using clips and/or screenshots from any of the films. Can be specific to one film, or to all of them. Suggested by Idrelle_Miocovani. 120 points.

THINGS THAT WERE

Why does Dumbledore have all those names, and why did his parents choose those particular selections? 10 points.

What famous real-life people (dead or alive) are actually wizards, and what are/were they particularly talented in? May do up to 10 (and you can?t use Charlie Sheen; that?s just too easy :p ). 5 points.

Describe a wand (length, type of wood, magical core) for any character (except those we already know from the books). May do up to 10. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 5 points.

Were any of the adult characters involved in a scandalous romance? Who and why? May do up to 3. 10 points.

What did Dumbledore do to earn the Order of Merlin, First Class? 10 points.

Why was the Triwizard Tournament not held for so many years? 10 points.

Give a brief biography of any previous Minister of Magic, including things he/she did while in office. May do up to 3. 15 points.

During their duel, who do you think killed Arianna Dumbledore? Why? Suggested by yodaminch. 10 points.

How did Filch get his job at Hogwarts? 5 points.

THINGS TO COME

What do you think is next for the HP world? A stage production? A sequel/prequel book? A Voldemort spinoff TV show? 15 points.

With Professor McGonagall retired by the epilogue, who is now Headmaster/mistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and W

5. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    [face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

since we pretty much renamed our house to procrastinators....i have a feeling we may run into some problems with this one....get the - key warmed up on the calculator Nat :p

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    No no, we post at least one task each time. :p

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    You guys can do at least 5 points each week between the lot of you :p (Though if you feel like doing more, it does help me out . . .)

8. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    HUFFLEPUFF

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69
    2. TwinJediGirl
    3. NicolasZN
    4. Katana_Sundancer

I usually see myself as a Slytherin, but Hufflepuff is second to my heart... So I'm a Badger this go round!

9. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you to the person who pointed out an issue. According to the fanfic and NSWFF FAQ, real people aren't allowed to show up in stories unless they've been dead for 70 years or they're JC members who have given their permission. The House Cup is going to stick with those rules.

So, you can't have Donald Trump or The Situation or Jill Zarin show up. For this task, something like creating a new Real Housewives (such as Real Housewives of London--I will allow something like that since it's a franchise as long as you follow the same format--and having the characters cast) or have them sing on the X Factor but create new judges or something along those lines where I wanted you to go with that.

10. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Hello :)

I am here for Gryffindor if needed...

11. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Gryffindor always needs you. :)

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Please don't forget to post your task lists tomorrow!! Even if it takes you a while to get to the bigger ones, there are a ton of small tasks you can do.

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    RAVENCLAW WEEK 1 UPDATE

MOVIES

If you were to choose a new director for one (or more) of the movies, who would it be and why? 15 points.

I would pick Peter Jackson to direct the movies. Why? Because Peter GETS how to do epic movies based on books. He knows that the fans will be nitpicking anything you do, so he makes sure the script is amazing, coherent, flows, and tells the story while still not including everything. He'll make some dumb changes, sure (Aragorn doesn't get Anduril until the very end? Really, PJ?) but for the most part, he will do a fantastic job. Second, he does the smartest thing on the planet and gets a WONDERFUL cast. Now I won't lie; the Potter cast is pretty freaking fantastic. There's only a handful of miscasts in my opinion. Next, Peter goes for continuity. It's not the films fault that we've had 5 composers, 4 directors, and with them an ever changing wardrobe department, but the movies just don't match up. With Peter behind the helm, it would have been one smooth series.

Finally, Peter ain't afraid to make a 5 hour movie. What's more, he KNOWS what fans will want to see, and he was the genius that made the Extended Editions. WHICH, I will note, Harry Potter then tried to steal and do, but the problem was that the Potter films weren't MADE to have 2 extra hours of footage. Peter knows his audience, and knows that fans will pay even more money to watch a longer but way more awesome version of the film.

[Miana Kenobi]

THINGS TO COME

What House was Albus Severus Potter sorted into? Suggested by yodaminch. 5 points.

Gryffindor, like his parents. Having been raised around war heroes, he has a certain sense of bravery and responsibility. Just because he was named after someone from Sytherin doesn?t mean he?ll go into that house. He showed his bravery by asking his father what would happen if he went into that house. Besides, he wants to go into Gryffindor.

[FelsGoddess]

HOUSE PRIDE

Create a JC icon to represent your House. If your House wins, one of the icons will be displayed on the JC while you have your colors. (If this task isn?t done, I will create one for your House to use.) May do up to 4. 25 points.
    BONUS: Create a Prefects version of each icon. 10 points.

Icon 1
    Icon 1 Prefect
    Icon 2
    Icon 2 Prefect
    Icon 3
    Icon 3 Prefect
    Icon 4
    Icon 4 Prefect

[Miana Kenobi]

14. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    SLYTHERIN WEEK 1 UPDATE

BOOKS

What one character do you think had the most influence on Harry?s life (and yes, you have to pick just one). 20 points

Albus Dumbledore clearly had the most influence on Harry's life. It was Dumbledore who left Harry on the Dursley's doorstep. It was Dumbledore who wrote to Petunia and told her to care for Harry as her own son. It was Dumbledore who watched out for Harry and arranged for others to watch over and protect him such as Severus Snape. At Hogwarts, Dumbledore guided Harry towards his ultimate mission. He placed enormous faith in the boy, but he never left him to fend himself. His famous phrase "Help will always be given to those at Hogwarts who ask for it" was very very true. In Sorceror's Stone, he rewarded Harry's bravery and praised his great hear for wanting the stone but not wanting to use it. In Chamber of Secrets, before being forced to leave, he left Harry with words of wisdom that served him and others in his time of need. In Prisoner of Azkaban, he helped arrange for Sirius Black's freedom and covered for Harry and Hermione. In Goblet of Fire, he rescued Harry from Moody and immediately believed him when he revealed Voldemort's existance. He backed Harry at great cost to his own reputation. In Order of the Phoenix, he took the fall for Harry when the DA was uncovered. He came to rescue Harry at the Ministry and helped him in fighting off Voldemort's possession. And most importantly, in Half-Blood Prince, he prepared Harry for his final mission. Knowing he was going to die, he arranged everything so that Harry had everything at his disposal that he would need and he placed an enormous amount of faith in Harry that he would carry out this plan to the letter. For this reason, Harry named his son Albus in honor of the sacrifices Albus Dumbledore made to keep Harry safe and alive.

[Yodaminch]

Why did JKR give certain characters certain names? Analyze the name of any character. May do up to 3. 5 points.

JKR often used names that had meanings that somehow defined their characters.

1. Sirius Black - Sirius is the brightest star in the night sky and is part of the constellation of Canis Major ("Greater Dog"). This is a reference to Sirius Black's Animagus form, which is a big dog. The surname Black refers to the colour of his eyes and hair, and also the colour of his fur when he's in his Animagus form.

2. Remus Lupin - Probably the most obvious clue to the fact that he's a werewolf. Remus was one of the brothers who, according to legend, were raised by a she-wolf and later became the founders of Rome (the other brother's name was Romulus, which was Lupin's pseudonym whenever he was speaking on Potterwatch). The surname Lupin is derived from "lupus", the Latin word for wolf.

3. Olympe Maxime - The first name is derived from Mount Olympus, the place where Greek gods resided. It's probably a reference to Madame Maxime's giant heritage, as the giants live in mountains, but it might also be a reference of her position as the Headmistress of Beauxbatons. The surname Maxime is simply a reference to her size.

[Mar17swgirl]

What does Albus Dumbledore really see in the Mirror of Erised? 10 points.

His mother and sister alive and their family together and happy, at first, but then it always changes to himself and Grindelwald, both young again, having passionate sex... :p

[Mar17swgirl]

[b][hl=darkgreen][color=silver]MOVIES[/color][/hl][/b]

[b]Who was a better Dumbledore, Michael Gambon or Richard Harris? 15 points.[/b]

I have written about this at length in the past. Richard Harris had the soft, gentle side of Dumbledore down. He also perfectly portrayed the brilliant but quirky side as well. Dumbledore to me is a mix of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Gandalf. And like these brilliant men, he too has his quirks. This was a side Michael Gambon tried and failed at. In Prisoner of Azkaban, he comes across almost a little too crazy and a bit more harsh then th

15. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Gryffindor Presents: Popcorn & Poetry

Movies

Vote in the ?What is your favorite HP movie v3? poll. Then post and explain why. May do as many as smallest House has players (so, 3 ? though I encourage everyone to vote anyway). 10 points.

I enjoyed them all. However, when I think of favorite scenes - Wizard Chess was one of my favorites. So Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone gets my vote. It was fun to see the introductions of the various characters.

- Earwen_Lightrider

PoA is still my favorite, because I liked how they pulled off the time-turner sequences cinemtacially. Also, seeing Hermione slapping Draco in the face was priceless.

- JEDIGUNSHIP

I have to say that my favorite is Deathly Hallows Part 2 since I loved to see the happy ending. And I really enjoyed how everything came full circle.

-LilyHobbitJedi

HUMR

Poetry Challenge: Write a poem of any sort having to do with anything in the HP world, with the following restrictions:
    --It must have exactly 467 words
    --It must include the words song, cookie, and dragon
    --It must NOT include the word magic
    --At least two of the lines have to begin with words starting with the letter Y
    --It has to somehow involve spoons
    60 points.

A Love Poem To Hermione
    By Ron Weasley

My beautiful Hermione,
    If only you were mine?
    I'd always cook you dinner.
    Even though I can't cook.
    I can't cook well, anyway.
    I'd make you soup,
    Which we could eat with Mum's
    Fancy spoons.
    The ones she only brings out
    When important company comes.
    You are important enough
    For fancy spoons,
    My dearest Hermione.
    I could teach you to play
    Spoons.
    They are not a musical instrument,
    Nor a sport,
    But a card game.
    You would like it.
    And I would like teaching you
    How to match four cards
    And then take the spoon in the center.
    We could bet kisses
    Or other loving stuff.
    I'd like that.
    So would you,
    I'll bet.
    I'm a fair kisser,
    Or so says Lavender.
    On second thought,
    Let's not involve Lavender
    In this poem.
    Let's just talk about you.
    And spoons.
    And if you're very angry now,
    We can just bet cookies,
    Rather than kisses.
    I know that you don't like
    To show affection
    When you're angry.
    You're actually
    Quite a dragon.
    When you're angry.
    (ignore that last bit,
    I'm an idiot.
    I'm sorry.)
    So I will not make you,
    Because I am a gentleman.
    Instead, I will trade you cookies?
    Yellow cookies.
    I don't know how you feel
    About yellow.
    We've never really talked about it.
    There are a lot of things
    That we've never talked about.
    We really should.
    I want to know
    If you want your wedding ring
    To be yellow.
    (I mean?
    not wedding.
    Please never read this.)
    Does gold
    Count as yellow?
    My most amazing Hermione,
    Your eyes are like jewels,
    Shining like the sun,
    Captivating me with their brilliance.
    (I told Harry
    That I could do
    This romance stuff.
    Not that I'm writing this
    Just to prove him wrong?
    I'm also writing this because
    I really love you,
    And you deserve a poem.
    I suddenly really wish
    I was writing with a pencil
    Instead of a pen.
    Because then I might be able
    To write an acceptable
    Love poem.
    Not the kind I will
    Burn
    Or lock in a drawer
    And never let you read.)
    For you,
    I would write a love song.
    And then sing it.
    Even though I can't sing
    To save my life.
    But you would appreciate it anyway,
    Even though it would probably
    Turn out like this poem:
    Kind of rambly,
    And with no real point,
    Except that I love you.
    And even though I
    Can't find it in my
    Commitment-phobic heart
    To say that out loud
    To your face,
    I really do feel it.
    I'll write it on paper.
    I've done it already in this poem.
    Hermione,
    I'll never understand
    Why a smart,
    Beautiful,
    Amazing
    girl like you
    Loves a silly,
    Stupid,
    Kinda ridiculous
    guy like me,
    just know
    That I am
    Forever grateful.
    And I love you.

-QueenArdnassak

16. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    Someone needs to kick me every now and again.

Its only because of the game I am actually here...

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks! Points asap :)

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    It's time for points!

But first, I owe an apology to Katana. She and I double-posted, and I didn't see that she'd signed up until just now. Because of that, Hufflepuff isn't losing any points this week for not posting tasks. To make it up to the other three houses, Ravenclaw, Slytherin and Gryffindor can comment on TWO tasks for Hufflepuff next week.

WEEK ONE POINTS

SLYTHERIN: 210
    RAVENCLAW: 160
    GRYFFINDOR: 90
    HUFFLEPUFF: 0

Miana Kenobi: 155
    Qui-Gon_Reborn: 125
    QueenArdnassak: 60
    yodaminch: 35
    Mar17swgirl: 30
    JediVegeta: 20
    Earwen_Lightrider: 10
    JEDIGUNSHIP: 10
    LilyHobbitJedi: 10
    FelsGoddess: 5
    _princess-leia_: 0
    Cobranaconda: 0
    CodeName_Targeter: 0
    darthhelinith: 0
    Idrelle_Miocovani: 0
    jchef: 0
    JEDI_TEEGIRLOO: 0
    Katana_Sundancer: 0
    LouQuinn: 0
    Master_Jaina1011: 0
    Merlin_Ambrosius69: 0
    NicolasZN: 0
    s65horsey: 0
    TwinJediGirl: 0
    wedge41388: 0

For any interested parties: If multiple players have the same number of points, I list them alphabetically.

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    This is a rare sight: a 0 beside my name.

Hm... [face_thinking]

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I have no doubt that'll change soon :p

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Right now I'm contemplating the look of that zero. I don't think it flatters me at all. :p

I'm so proud of my House to see them at the top of the list - I knew they'd do well without me. [face_love] :*

22. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Mi says I have to sign up for Ravenclaw because she needs my vocal range. :p

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I JUST REALIZED THAT YOU TOOK AWAY RAVENCLAW'S FAVORITE TASK. :mad:

Expect some tasks to have impromptu song parodies.

24. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    I was sad to see the parody task missing as well. :(

25. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Me as well. That was always my favorite task.