main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census The JC Hogwarts House Cup - Version 18 - Winner: Ravenclaw

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Mine, too - easier than regular "create a song" tasks, because I didn't have to come up with music, just the alternative lyrics... :p

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I took away almost all the tasks! I told you I was creating an almost completely new task list in response to people saying that the old tasks had gotten boring :p Next time, mention the ones you want saved! :p

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Well, I'm content with the changes. :p A lot of the bonuses are going to be difficult... I like the challenge, even if I may not have the time I want, or the best technology necessary. :p

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm not a big fan of some of the new tasks; this is a web-based game, and have fairly consistently just consisted of web-based tasks since EVERYONE can do those. [face_plain]

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Duly noted. Next time, I'll remove most of the non-web stuff then (I assume you mean things like the video tasks?).

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Some of the video tasks are fine since they can be done by one person, but things like "act out a scene" are a huge problem when a House doesn't necessarily have two players physically in the same city. It's one thing to email MP3 files around to collaborate on a song, but there's no way of doing video like that.

Also, the "Make your tshirt design" one sits really badly with me. House Cup tasks shouldn't involve an outlay of cash.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Can't you just use microsoft paint or GIMP? A t-shirt design is normally pretty rough from what an actual t-shirt would look like.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I agree with this. I can't believe how many of the tasks are requiring us to find others to act out scenes in a video. That's absurd with an international forum.

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It's not the design part: it's the bonus of "actually get this shirt printed."

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree with that. Let's remove the "actually make the T-shirt" part, please.

Also the "wearable HP craft" task will inevitably cost the creator money, unless they're a "regular" craftsman and have the necessary equipment and materials already (i.e. wool for the scarf, etc.). It's an interesting task, but the "up to 5" part is a bit too much, IMHO.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Regarding the acting out: Good point. I was thinking "Oh, people collab on music tasks!" and not thinking "They pass it around eletronically." I can remove those.

And please, please don't spend money! I have a relative who designs prints on his computer and sticks them on his kids' clothes himself. I wasn't thinking go and get them printed. I'll remove that too.

12. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I've never played before, but I'm absolutely loving the tasks. The hardest part has been deciding which ones I want to do, and not have enoughing time to do all the ones I'm interested in! And then there's Idri, who does five hundred of them a day. That's hard, too. :p

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    However, a monologue is a type of scene, where the task-doer (tasker? :p ) is the actor. Alternative methods of performance could qualify for a task when the only requirement is to "film a scene", so any basic form of puppetry (even those made out of sticks, paper and glue). You could even arguably do Reader's Theatre, as it is a type of performance. One actor can play many parts on film, depending on how you cut and string it together. And you could find friends to join you in filming the scene if you're insistent on doing traditional live-action. You could technically gather old stuffed animals up, dress them in Harry Potter-esque costume pieces, and perform their voices as you film it. There are lots of options. :)

To be honest, when I read the video tasks, I was operating under the assumption that you did not have to do a collaborative video task with other members in your House, as it is quite, quite difficult (but not impossible) to do under the international circumstances we play.

Personally, I don't find the video tasks no more difficult than the music tasks; it's just a different kind of work that goes into it. A performative element mixed with technology is still there, and as long as you have a digital camera (you don't even need a proper video one) you'll be able to film. I don't know what Macs have, but Windows always comes with Windows Movie Maker, which sucks as an editing program, but it does the job if you want to string your filmed clips together - and we're not trying to be professional here, after all. ;)

I think, ideally, it would be nice to have everyone playing be able to do every task. However, because everyone has different abilities, comfort levels, and kinds of technology, it's not possible to do just that while sustaining a creative task environment (which is more fun, right?). For example, I'm a terrible composer and have little to no access to the necessary tech requirements to make good recording musical task entries - so those tasks are out for me. A fanfic task may be completely out for someone else who is not a writer - they may have no idea how to get started (or want to get started) on a 1,500 word fanfic. An art task may be completely out for someone who can't draw. A video task may be out for someone who's not comfortable being in front of a camera.

So, if we want an environment where everyone can do every possible task, then we'd be down to answering questions, writing reviews, and making up facts for the entire game - which isn't as much fun, I'm sure. The majority of the tasks under Books, Movies, Things to Come and Things That Were are like that, and those seem to be the categories that are finished first because they're quick and easy to do. So far, Houses have always had to play to their strengths and the game functions under the assumption that the Houses will gather people with different talents. Look at Slytherin for the past two games - Mar does music, writing and art tasks, Cobra does music tasks (and sometimes writes 10000 word fics when I badger him into it :p ), I write fanfic and do whatever I can even if I'm not good at it... :p Some of the new tasks are just an extension of the system we already have (one that plays to different kinds of talents), and I'm glad - after two years, I was getting bored with similar tasks.

Yeah, some of them are a bit hit and miss. Video tasks are a ton of work - I would suggest drawing back the number of them (i.e. only have one or two tasks that need to be filmed). I draw a line at having to pay for stuff, which may (as Mar pointed out) be necessary if you aren't a "regular" craftsman. While some of the craft ideas are interesting, I would prefer to have tasks designed towa

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    To be honest, I wouldn't want to pull tasks from the list this round; some people may have started on them and that's not fair. Let's just know for next round, and also know that some tasks won't get done this time.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Arg, post deleted itself!

The gist was: Sounds good; after the game, I'll see what people did and you guys can tell me what you liked and didn't, and I'll adjust future lists. Don't spend money! All non-web stuff should be able to be done with stuff people have around the house. If there's something that absolutely no one can do without spending money, let me know and I'll replace those so there isn't a dud task.

16. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I liked this task and have iron on transfers left over from another project I did. I'd like to see the bonus stay.

"BONUS: Actually make them (e.g. get your print put on a t-shirt.) 30 points."

- Making them could also involve other arts like embroidery. If there is concern over the cost, maybe we could add that making them could be as simple as printing out the image and taping it to a t-shirt then taking a picture - technically, the shirt has been made (there were no specifications that the shirt (other clothing) had to last...).

I'm in favor of leaving the task list as it originally stands - as I know that several tasks are currently being worked on and it would be disheartening to have your half-completed task cancelled on you.

Also, thank you for the time you put into the new list! [:D]

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Awesome! I look forward to seeing them :D

I won't cancel (or, rather, replace) a task unless absolutely no one can do it. Since that doesn't appear to be the case, they're all staying :)

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Don't forget to post your tasks! :)

19. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Don't worry, Nat, Slytherin's here and in the process of gathering up its week's worth of efforts of blood and pain. :p ;)

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, we don't want the -30 point penalty. ;)

SLYTHERIN WEEK 2 UPDATE

BOOKS

If you were to rename a book, what would you call it and why? May do up to 7 (one for each book). 5 points.

Book One: Harry Potter and the Wizards? School

Harry?s introduction to the wizarding world and the fact that it has a school (important landmarks of the series) are referenced in this title (I think :p ). An important thing for a first of a series, methinks.

Book Two: Harry Potter and the Heir of Slytherin

This book is all about Slytherin; therefore, it makes sense to mention it. The Heir is at the centre of events, plus for part of the book Harry himself is thought to be the Heir.

Book Three: Harry Potter and the Marauders? Map

The map is an important find of the Weasleys, given to Harry, which then links back to his father?s day and age, connecting him to Lupin and Sirius. I think much of this book is about that connection.

Book Four: Harry Potter and the Triwizard Tournament

The Triwizard Tournament provides the backdrop for much of this book?s action. It is an important part of the plot (both the narrative?s arc and Voldemort?s plot to use Harry), thus meriting a place in the title.

Book Five: Harry Potter and the Rebellion of Hogwarts

Dumbledore?s Army is essentially a student rebellion. As the ministry closes its nets, the students fight back and much of the book is absorbed in the effects of their actions.

Book Six: Harry Potter and the Shadow of the Past

Past being Voldemort?s past ? much of the book is concerned with Harry learning and exploring Voldemort?s origins, so I think it deserves a mention in the title.

Book Seven: Harry Potter and the Final Horcrux

The ?surprise? that Harry is yet another Horcrux of Voldemort?s probably shouldn?t be revealed in the title, but I?d like to play off the idea of the ?Horcrux hunt?, since they do spend most of their time engaged in that action.

[Idrelle_Miocovani]

Can Muggles (relatives of wizards, for instance) travel by Floo Network, Portkey, or Side-along Apparition? Give reasons why yes or no. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points.

To a certain extent. Muggles cannot perform magic, but nothing stops them from being affected by magic.

The Floo Network appears to be activated by stepping into the fire and then shouting your destination; I see that working like the incantation of a spell. Therefore, the wizard/witch is activating the Floo Network themselves, which is a performance of magic. Ergo, Muggles cannot work the Floo Network.

However, a Portkey is enchanted by a wizard and whoever touches is can be taken along for the ride. There is no activation word/charm/incantation necessary by the person touching it; they don?t have to perform magic to use a Portkey. Therefore, Muggles can travel by Portkey.

The Apparition of the Side-along kind is performed by the wizard in question; whoever is touching them is transported along. Because that second person doesn?t have to do any magic, I believe Muggles can also travel in this way.

[Idrelle_Miocovani]

What scene would you add to an HP book and why? 15 points.

While I appreciate the distinctive view we get of the wizarding world through Harry?s eyes, I wish we could have seen more of the world at large during Deathly Hallows. The extended camping trip through Great Britain was necessary and made sense; however, it did become plodding after a while (especially on re-reads). I would have loved to see what was going on at Hogwarts during that time. Specifically, I would have liked to see what Neville got up to as leader of Dumbledore?s Army; Ginny, Neville and Luna?s sneak attack into Snape?s office to steal the sword of Gryffindor; the direct results of the Carrows? ugly regime; whether anything happened between Neville and Luna (which is a feeling I always got from the books ? as a side note, I loved how the film jumped on that reading as well). It was a tumu

21. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Not to be an annoying Slytherin Prefect, but... Head Prefect, where did Things to Come go? :p

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Phew, still managed to edit it in before the time limit was up! :p

Sorry, I was confused by the "all tasks done" note next to this category on our private boards and I didn't even check when I was compiling the update... [face_blush] I'm an idiot. Thanks for the heads-up, Idri.

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    *pats Mar's head*

[:D]

24. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    Gryffindor Update For Week 2

BOOKS

Who do you think is the best Death Eater and why? 10 points.

I think Bellatrix was the best Death Eater because she was completely faithful to her role. She was so in love with Voldemort and his ideals that she never would?ve let him down if she could help it.

- LilyHobbitJedi

Can Muggles (relatives of wizards, for instance) travel by Floo Network, Portkey, or Side-along Apparition? Give reasons why yes or no. Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points.

I believe Muggles can travel by flu network and portkey. The magic involved with these objects appears to require no magical ability of the user. Particularly in the case of the portkey, in which you just hold onto it and it takes you somewhere, the only magic needed appears to be the spell that turns the object into a portkey in the first place.
    There is nothing in the books suggesting that the flu network cannot be used in a non-magical fire, as long as the green powder is used and your destination spoken clearly as you enter the flames.
    I do not believe that muggles can be transported by Side-along apparition, even with the aid of a wizard. I argue this because the process has been described by Dumbledore among others, as ?guiding?. This implies that the actual process involves some magical effort by the person who is being transported by the other more experienced wizard, and therefore muggles, having no magical ability, would not be able to use it.

- darthhelinith

Creative Spirit

Create a wearable HP craft (scarf, hat, robe, jewelry, etc.). May do up to 5. Suggested by Earwen_Lightrider. 60 points.

[image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6084421872_f2f5a873b0_b.jpg]

- QueenArdnassak

Absolutely Random

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.

Favorite Tasks from Week 1

From Ravenclaw:
    What House was Albus Severus Potter sorted into? Suggested by yodaminch. 5 points.

Gryffindor, like his parents. Having been raised around war heroes, he has a certain sense of bravery and responsibility. Just because he was named after someone from Sytherin doesn?t mean he?ll go into that house. He showed his bravery by asking his father what would happen if he went into that house. Besides, he wants to go into Gryffindor.

[FelsGoddess]

I like that the reasoning goes beyond his parents were in Gryffindor. I also like that he was brave enough to ask his Dad what would happen if he ended up in Slytherin.

From Slytherin:
    Create a poem describing the history of your House. Must be at least 50 lines.

On the Grand Staircase at Hogwarts
    Hangs a portrait--unnerving, revered--
    Of a man in robes darker than midnight,
    With black, piercing eyes and a beard.
    First Years hate looking upon him,
    Shuffling by without risking a glance.
    But some find his cold sneer inspiring,
    Seeing pride in his arrogant stance.
    "Salazar Slytherin," the First Years are taught,
    "A House founder with principles torn
    Between desire to do good for Hogwarts,
    And disgust toward the muggle-born.
    He was a parselmouth, a Legilimens,
    Of pure blood, cunning, and greed,
    Seeking students with passion for magic;
    Seeking wizards who knew how to lead.
    When Ravenclaw founded her House
    For the clever, the gifted, the bright,
    And Griffyindor chose students of magic
    Who could summon their nerves in a fight,
    And Hufflepuff chose the hardworking,
    With goodness kept deep in their hearts,
    Salazar Slytherin took the ambitious,
    With a talent for magic's dark arts.
    He chose as his symbol the serpent,
    Laid upon silver and green.
    He sought to pay heed to his vision,
    And he sought to remove the unclean.
    Godric Gryffindor feared Salazar's motives,
    And disapproved of his power-bent lust.
    So S

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Look, we did some stuff.

RAVENCLAW UPDATE WEEK WHATEVER THIS IS

Things With Words In Them

Who do you think is the best Death Eater and why? 10 points.

Bellatrix Lestrange was the best Death Eater. She followed Voldemort obsessively, believing he could do no wrong. She didn?t question his decisions or beliefs. This made her the perfect Death Eater. She did exactly what she was told without question. Followers that question cause problems.

[FelsGoddess]

Moving Pictures

What scenes were added/changed in Deathly Hallows that you don?t like? May do up to 2. 10 points.

The dancing scene between Harry and Hermione was awkward. It was like something from a Harry/Hermione fanfic. At what point did Harry become a fan of dancing? Never. The ?comforting? was unrealistic for both characters.

Having Dobby show up with Kreacher completely ruined the surprise of Dobby?s appearance at Malfoy Manor. There was no point in having him appear. The locket is Kreacher?s story. Period. Dobby is the unwanted tagalong.

[FelsGoddess]

Pasty Stuff

Why was the Triwizard Tournament not held for so many years? 10 points.

While the sport of Quidditch does suggest a certain disregard for human life, there are still certain limits. The wizarding world got awfully tired of schoolchildren getting killed in a school competition. Cooler heads eventually prevailed and led to at least slightly less lethal form of competition. Okay, Quidditch, but still.

Completed by: Daughter_of_Yubyub

Randomosity

If your House was a fast-food restaurant, what would it be? 5 points.

If Ravenclaw was a fast food restaurant, it would be a Taco Bell. Specifically, the one run by Hobbie Klivian where all the forgotten characters hang out.

[Daughter_of_YubYub]

What was your favorite task from another House last week? Share what it was and why you like it. May do 3 per week (one from each House). (Obviously, can only be done Weeks 2-8.) Suggested by Mar17swgirl. 10 points each.
    NOTE: Because the other Houses are going to be commenting on your tasks, you MUST post at least 1 task (even something 5 points) per week. The penalty for not posting anything is a 30-point deduction (which is the number of points the other Houses are losing out on for not being able to do this).

Week 1

From Gryffindor, I quite liked their poetry challenge poem. I was impressed they actually made something coherent with the task at hand given the extensive restrictions. And even in universe coherency rather than the meta silliness Ravenclaw will no doubt end up using to get through the task.

For Slytherin, I was partial to the Shakespeare re-write. I don't think it's a great secret that I've always enjoyed the later portion of the task list in terms of both doing and reading tasks due to the greater possibility for creativity and variety. That scene really was begging to be HPed, magic is a thing.

Completed by: Daughter_of_Yubyub