main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: CHOICES OF ONE (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jul 13, 2011.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Choices of One, the sequel to Allegiance, marks Timothy Zahn's return to the GFFA.

Some rules: rate Choices of One on a scale of 1 to 10, supplementing your rating with a review, if you want to (It's not necessary but is highly encouraged). However, please do not rate or review the book until after you've read the whole thing. Thanks. :)

Go for it.;)

Some previous review threads:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact, by Karen Traviss
    Shatterpoint, by Matthew Stover
    The Cestus Deception, by Steven Barnes
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer, by Michael Reaves and Steve Perry
    Jedi Trial, by David Sherman and Dan Cragg
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, by Sean Stewart
    Labyrinth of Evil, by James Luceno
    Revenge of the Sith, by Matthew Stover
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Luceno
    Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine, by Veronica Whitney-Robinson
    Tatooine Ghost, by Troy Denning
    Survivor's Quest, by Timothy Zahn
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream, by Aaron Allston
    Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand, by Aaron Allston
    Traitor, by Matthew Stover
    Destiny's Way, by Walter Jon Williams
    Force Heretic I: Remnant, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic II: Refugee, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    Force Heretic III: Reunion, by Sean Williams and Shane Dix
    The Final Prophecy, by Greg Keyes
    The Unifying Force, by James Luceno
    Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen, by Troy Denning
    Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning
    Outbound Flight, by Timothy Zahn
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero, by Karen Traviss
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal, by Aaron Allston
    Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines, by Karen Traviss
    Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, by Drew Karpyshyn
    [link=http:

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    i find the lack of reviews to be disturbing

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Choices of One is both a sequel to Allegiance, and a stand alone novel at the same time.

The Good
    Characterization is the major strength of this work, as Zahn focuses the microscope on a small group of well known characters at a particular point in the timeline that has received relatively little attention outside of the comics. He hits pitch perfect notes with pretty much everyone, especially the still untrained Luke and Han at the height of his smuggler-turned-reluctant-rebel powers. Fans of Pellaeon, Thrawn, and Mara Jade are not likely to be disappointed either, and even Vader briefly shows up to show that yes, he is still the ultimate Sith bad@$$. The story includes a number of highly interesting infiltration sequences and a fairly cool plot twist that helps build to the climax, and more of the stand-up stormtrooper small squad battles that Zahn loves.

There are a number of interesting philosophical explorations in this text, particularly the rather bold statements by Thrawn about the nature of galactic governance, and certain other things Mara uncovers about how the empire is crumbling at the seams. Regrettably, they are not explored in depth.

The Bad
    While Choices of One is well put together, well written, and gets pretty much everything it does correct, it frankly, just doesn't do very much. The plot is based on the elaborately complex machinations of Thrawn versus the warlord Nuso Esva. Readers of Zahn's prior works will have a full understanding of Thrawn's motives, so there's nothing new there, and Esva's motivations appear to be the of the shockingly generic kind, though we never really get a sense of why he's doing this or why such a seemingly intelligent opponent thought bringing the Empire and Rebellion into his feuding was a good idea. In fact the entire presence of the Rebellion contingent, and thus our heroes comes off as ultimately unnecessary. In the final analysis it is, their total contribution (blowing up a few missile ships that Death Squadron would have swatted anyway) is completely irrelevant and there's nothing more than a vague tie-in to the search for Hoth to connect this incident to greater events. It some ways it seems that Zahn may have initially wanted to produce the story using just Mara and the Hand of Judgment, and not have bothered with the Heroes of Yavin at all, but was forced to change that to meet expectations.

There's also a certain level of Zahn-glut in Choices of One. The novel consists entirely of his own contributions to the universe, with all of his major character creations playing significant roles, often in a rather forced fashion. The presence of Car'Das is the most egregious violation in this fashion, but not the only one. I would have rather a larger role been played by newer characters who have indeterminate futures, notably the Hand of Judgment.

Bottom Line: 7 out of 10. While this is pretty clearly Zahn's weakest Star Wars novel to date, him on a bad day is still better than most of the other novelists on their best.

Thuro likes this.
  4. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Choices of One, the latest Timothy Zahn novel, is packed with excellent characterizations of the OT characters and those created by Zahn himself.

I've noticed on these boards that there are quite a few people who say Luke should be more powerful than he is in this book. That's simply not true. Luke Skywalker, Jedi trainee and full time rebel, has no need of overusing the Force at this point in time. He can still be awed by its power. He is still allowed to be shocked about how easy it is to kill with a lightsber compared to an X-Wing or blaster.

Han and Leia are veteran fighters at this time and it shows. I haven't enjoyed Han and Leia since...Allegiance. Certainly not in anything post NJO.

Loved the twist at the end. Another great novel from Timothy Zahn. 10/10

5. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    9.6 out of 10, here is my review

6. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Choices of One brings back the magic.

I remember vividly reading Heir to the Empire for the first time. A new fan of Star Wars, I "commandeered" my father's hardcover copy of HttE and fell even more in love with the Original Trilogy characters, as well as Zahn's original creations. As a new Star Wars fan around the time that the modern-day EU was just getting started, I of course read all the books that were released and have spent many, many hours over the past twenty years reading Star Wars books. While there have been times when disappointment has reigned, I don't know if I could ever give up complete interest in the Expanded Universe.

Choices of One reminds me why. The characters are exactly as we remember from the films. The EU-only characters are exactly as they should be for the time period. The plot is interesting and engaging, with the typical Zahn-style twists and turns that make you want to both slap the man for his deviousness and shake his hand for his brilliance.

I had a smile on my fave the entire time I read the book, and when I was finished I couldn't wait to discuss it with other people. Several days later, I'm still thinking of the book. To me, this means it did its job. Whatever flaws there may have been, I saw none.

Choices of One is my favorite EU book in a long, long time, and a worthy addition to the "Zahnverse". It will take a few rereads to determine where exactly it sits, but right now I feel exactly as I did after reading Outbound Flight - gobsmacked, and wondering how the hell Zahn writes the way he does, and grateful that he is still willing to contribute to the GFFA.

Thanks, Mr. Zahn, for reminding me why I love Star Wars.

10/10

TheCouncilHistorian likes this.
  7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I enjoyed Choices of One more than Allegiance. In fact I enjoyed it more than the past couple of FOTJ books. Perhaps all of them. Yes Zahn contradicted and kind of embellished some of Mara's abilities with the lightsaber but I could brush it off. I'm not married to the exactitude of the finer details of canon at the expense of a good story. Especially when it's Zahn. And this was a good story that was well executed. Sure, Mara could have used the lightaber less and I'd have been happier but this was one dense little pot boiler with a lot going on. I even appreciated how Luke wasn't the Force demigod that he is in most post ROTJ novels. He wasn't the centre of the novel at all. He was just where he would be at this point in the timeline. It was nice to see what will probably be the last of Luke portrayed as such an inexperienced novice. And I finally appreciated Han and Leia again! I mean I HATE them from LOTF on but this was classic Han and Chewie. Han was utterly indispensable in this book and his cockiness and insight weren't the rantings of an old man long past his prime. Next to Thrawn and maybe Mara Jade, Han is the most intelligent character in the book. He did stuff that mattered and didn't bore me. Who'd a thunk?

The Thrawn stuff wasn't overly complicated. It was easy to figure out a few reveals but some still made their way to surprise me. All in all a great old fashioned Star Wars story that is leaps and bounds more interesting than I was expecting.

Yeah Mara should have made the connection that this was the Skywalker that Vader was looking for. How or why she didn't get it eludes me. I don't see how her knowing who Luke was really changes anything. So it's easy to ignore this little blooper.

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 45.5/5 = 9.10

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another great book from Zahn, and an overall improvement compared to Allegiance too I think. While I wish we could see Zahn write another post-RotJ novel, as usual he does a great job with the classic era characters and his own creations as well.

This is the best Han I've read in years, although it helps that this is basically Han at his prime. He's a smart, experienced smuggler and he and Princess Leia are still bickering while getting closer. Its also great to see Chewie again, even though he doesn't speak, he's still always handy to have around, from carrying a bacta tank across town to personally loading torpedoes that normally requires a crane (and he probably does it much faster too). Compared to ancient Han in the post-NJO novels, this is awesome Han who almost always has a trick up his sleeve.

And I never really had that much of a problem with Luke in Allegiance, so since here Luke is even better, that just improves the book more. It still kind of reads like a just post-Yavin Luke, although the post-Yavin and pre-Hoth time periods are very busy for most of the classic characters, but its nice that even with little to no idea how to be a Jedi, Luke is simply trying his best to be a good person. It might seem naive to hesitate to kill someone, but its nice to see Luke growing up as well while on his mission.

The Hand of Judgment stormtroopers are still as well-written as ever, and as usual Zahn is quite good at ground and space battles. Mara Jade is pretty strong and while her character doesn't really develop as its mostly set in stone by this point (loyal Emperor's Hand who goes out and dispense justice), she's still a great enough character that you can never read too much about her (and I still miss her in the later books). Also glad that Larone and his friends got a happy ending.

Speaking of that, perhaps one of the best things about the novel is the... simplicity, I guess you could call it. There's not much grey (at least compared to say FotJ). Luke, Han and Leia are heroic and all of their actions are quite admirable. The villains are mean, and the heroes save the day and leave (although Thrawn is always pulling the strings of course). Its a nice classic Star Wars story, and I'm happy to have read it, and... its just kind of a breath of fresh air.
    And as a Zahn fan, always glad to see Pellaeon, as well as Thrawn and Car'das. Funny Nuso Esva seemed like a worthy opponent for Thrawn, although he eventually fell for Thrawn's trap, but the fact that Thrawn hasn't completely taken him out by the end of the book probably shows how formidable he is. Also that revelation near the end made for a very nice reveal, its nice to have a mystery, some misdirection and then realize oh, that's it! Although Thrawn is possibly overpowered/omniscient, but oh well, that's just Thrawn's character.

Zahn also does a pretty good job of working around older canon, specifically Zahn's older works. Allegiance danced around the issue too, but here its a bit harder with more characters involved, like Mara and Pellaeon and Thrawn, although that fight scene where Mara and Luke were in the same room/cavern was stretching things a bit, but for Mara it was mostly just another job, and Skywalker isn't that unusual a name (although she does remember Vader was interested in someone named Skywalker, but she figures best to not bother Vader). Nothing gets too strange or convoluted, its nice to see attempts to work within older canon (even if most of the relevant sources were all written by the same author) rather than just ignoring whatever is inconvenient.

The book reads fast, with several plots and they all join up at the appropriate time and unlike Allegiance, there aren't huge amounts of mis-interpretations, misunderstandings or anything like that. The idea of a sector seceding is a bit of a rehash, but at least the characters themselves are aware of it and suspicious. Likable characters and a happy ending and it sets things up for ESB (maybe a bit too neatly with Thrawn pointing out the Rebels might head for an ice pla

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 55.5/6 = 9.25

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm surprised by the lack of reviews as well.

Anyway, I really loved this one. I enjoyed Allegiance, though wouldn't consider it one of my favorites. This one, on the other hand, I can see aging better. I really loved the Han and Leia of Allegiance, and if anything, they're even better in the sequel. I liked how Han was shown to be a very, very good aim (specifically shooting two guys holsters before either can draw their guns), and was glad to see Chewie do something as well.

Mara was very fun to read, too, and you really can't help but feel sorry for her, knowing how thoroughly the Emperor is duping her (I wonder if he ever calls another Emperors Hand by mistake? [face_laugh]). She's obviously a force to be reckoned with in a straight fight, but what was most interesting was her creative and intelligent uses of the Force. She doesn't seem to have the brute strength to Force push everything out of her way, but she does some very interesting tricks with her powers. I really love the "secret agent" vibe. The Stormtroopers were interesting as well, and while they still suffer from the fact that they're all very similar in personality (they are stormtroopers, after all), I found myself enjoying their POV's much more than I did in Allegiance. I'd really like to see more from them, although their story would be fine ended here, as well.

I posted my impressions of Luke over in the SOS thread. Simply put, I really enjoyed his presence in the novel, and really enjoyed seeing the growth, even from just Allegiance.

One of the highlights of the novel for me was Thrawn's view of the Rebel Alliance. It's an interesting one, and I'm sure that the Empire probably would have defeated the Yuuzhan Vong with much less casualties. Speaking of which, I do notice a lot of references to an "unknown threat" throughout the book; I've heard Zahn doesn't like the NJO, but I know they're referenced in Outbound Flight. Hmm.

Very abbreviated review, I know. Great Zahn novel that is absolutely Original Trilogy. I'm still surprised there are so few novels in this era. The only negatives I can immediately think of is perhaps a slightly rushed ending, Vader still seemed a little moody from the short time he appeared, and I couldn't really get a good mental image of the two new aliens (the warlords species, and the knife guys).

9.5/10

12. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Once again, Tim Zahn delivers a fun Star Wars adventure in the best tradition of the Original Trilogy films and the Expanded Universe stories featuring those characters and EU favorites from the same era. If you?re looking for something dark and gritty, or heavy on the Force philosophy, or with deranged Sith, then this isn?t the book for you. If you?re looking for a novel that puts the space opera back in Star Wars, then Choices of One should be right up your alley.

Before saying anything further, I?ll emphasize that I won?t include any plot spoilers in this review. As with several of Zahn?s other EU offerings, much of the fun in experiencing the novel is trying to figure out how all the plot elements will weave together, what characters? real motivations are, and how the mysteries will be resolved. With that kind of story, you really have to read it for yourself.

First Impressions

As with many of the recent EU offerings from Del Rey, the cover is underwhelming, especially for a hardcover book. A mediocre portrait of Mara slapped together with some stormtroopers hardly does this novel justice. Similarly, the marketing blurb for the book makes it sound like Luke Skywalker is a crucial character in the book. And while he does have his role to play, he?s not even the most heavily featured Rebel (that honor goes to Han Solo) in a book with Mara Jade and the Hand of Judgment as its central protagonists.

This book is far cleaner in its editing than other recent releases, but some mistakes did slip by. One character?s name repeatedly alternates between two spellings throughout the course of the book, for example, and there is far too much ?grimacing,? which a keen editorial eye would have redlined for some variety in facial expression. Nobody expects perfection, but there?s no reason for simple goofs like these to be slipping through the cracks.

We all know first impressions can be very important. Del Rey is making it harder to engage potential new readers because those customers will browse right by the unremarkable front art. Fortunately, Choices of One is a book that outshines the potential suggested by its cover.

Writing Craft & Storytelling

Without getting into the plot, what can you expect from Choices of One? The flow of the book is classic Zahn: introduce a bunch of elements separately and spend the first half of the book drawing them all together to the same place, followed by a second half of the book that?s nonstop mayhem. As with his prior entries ? such as Survivor?s Quest, which has a similar overall structure ? this story design is executed flawlessly.

And, in a good way, there?s not much else to add. There?s a reason, after all, that Zahn has been able to sustain his place as one of the fan favorite EU authors for so long. He knows how to design a really great Star Wars yarn, and he always carries it off well.

One neat advantage that Choices of One has over some of his previous work, though, is its ability to make connections with other material. Since it was first announced, Choices of One has been described as a sequel to Allegiance, and that is certainly accurate. If you liked Allegiance, you?ll like Choices of One too. There are lots of references back to A New Hope and forward to The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. There are even more little winks to Zahn?s other stories, such as Thrawn?s true assignment and role in the Unknown Regions and his place within Imperial politics, some references forward and backward in the life of Jorj Car?das, and a cameo by Voss Parck. Nothing is lost for readers who don?t get the references; they?re just background detail. But for fans who do, these moments are sure to bring a smile, chuckle, or knowing nod of the head.

Characters

Choices of One also displays Zahn?s mastery of the characterization of the Original Trilogy characters in that era, and his deft hand at creating Expanded Universe characters who feel like they?ve always been there alongside the familiar faces.

Of the Big Three, Han has the biggest

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 74/8 = 9.25

14. colojedi7

colojedi7 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2007
    Loved the book. I thought Luke was great in the book. Mara was much more believable in this one than in Allegiance. Thrawn was great, Vader was awesome and Han and Leia were bickering like an old married couple. Did I mention how much I loved this book?=D=

9.8/10

15. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 83.8/9 = 9.31

16. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Even though the word "grimace" was used on just about every single page and it got to the point where I was purposely looking for it....I found this book to be a great...no, outstanding sequel to 'Alliance'.

9.8/10

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Zahn is to me the best writer of the entire star wars eu line. He covers star wars with realism and is probably the most truest to the original trilogy. His books are very entertaining and this last one Choices of One was no different. I like the fact that Luke was not the central theme ot the story and it was great to the see the Mara back in action, as the Emperor's Hand.

I have to give the book a 10/10. This is the kinda of story I would like to see in a star wars novel.

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 103.6/11 = 9.42

19. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Just finished the novel, I really enjoyed this one - moreso than Allegience.

It really felt like a true bridge novel between ANH and TESB, than the aforementioned novel, as well as nicely slotting into the Zahnverse. Allegience really feels more of a prologue to this novel now, mainly to obviously set up the Hand of Judegement. Speaking of which, I take it they are part of the Empire of the Hand now?

FANBOY FANTASY: Imagine the cut combination of 'Spectre of Thrawn', 'The Reenlistment of Baron Fel' added with the Hand of Judement ...

Score: 8.5/10.

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 112.1/12 = 9.34

21. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Having enjoyed all Zahn?s books so far, I opened Choises of One with high expectations. Maybe that was why the disappointemnt was that much bigger.

The Thrawn/Pellaeon/Esva plot was basically entertaining and I genuinely like Pelleaon?s character and the job Zahn has done to establish the ?decent? Imperial. Still, it the plotline seemed a little ?invented? to me with all the complexitites and the many insinuations that Lord Odo and Sorro might be Carrdas and Thrawn and then didn?t turn out to be anyway - it never got my juices up, and the same was the case with Nuso Esva. Too much ?say it? instead of ?show it,? and I never got what Carrdas was doing in the novel in the first place. But it was generally entertaining. No complaints.

I love the Hand of Thrawn ? they?re also a part of project ?decent Imperial? and there?s so much interesting stuff there to explore. I could have wished much more of them, we never got close to them in CoO like we did in Allegiance, but I?m happy with what I got too ? and the end was particularly rewarding. I hope to see them in later stories too - credits for that storyline!

The governor & kidnapped family was a nice, good plotline. I?d hoped to see some more interaction between Mara and hostages in the end, maybe to see some softer sides of her, but fine like so.

When it comes to Mara, I had high expectations to her in this book, naturally since it?s by her creator. And there was several moments of s.c. awesomeness, where she manages this and that ? but the only moment where I really smiled was in the end where she admits she missed La Rone & co; that?s where she opened up as human. I know of course that Mara at this point of her life is supergirl; she comes, she deals, she prevails ? and Zahn makes a big number of showing just how high her moral ground is. It?s just that I find that? pretty uninteresting. She?s almost too confident, too righteous. Not a fault in itself, but not what keeps me enganged either. Maybe my problem is that while I love Mara?s character, I don?t see her quite that unshakable, that clinical. Maybe I?m wrong alltogether? Zahn?s her creator after all? I?d just love her to have more faults and fire. But it?s a long time since Zahn wrote a firy Mara, we need to go back to THT, almost TTT. After that, he?s ben focusing on how rational she is, and while I agree that she IS rational, I think we?ve been there by now; Jade Solitaire, Handsoff, MJ At the Emperor?s Hand, Allegiance, even SQ, they all show her practical mindstream. What I would like is to see a Mara in interaction with people ? a Mara that has passion ? and is challenged in her believes. I liked her interaction with HoJ, though. They brought up a more human, Mara as she clearly feel a kind of kinship with them ? definitely an interesting thing at this point of the timeline.

Han & Leia were enjoyable, this I their bickering golden age, after all, though Han is a strange mixture of fun resourcefulness, grumpiness and a budding responsibility I think came in pretty early in timeline - I still don?t know what to think of his promotion in the end. It makes sense I suppose when it comes to the things said in ESB, it just makes less sense to Han general plotline (based on the novelization of ROTJ) where he doesn?t feel he belongs anywhere before his friends come for him at Jabba?s. Leia was fine. And honestly, I though Han was very annoyed with Luke all the time. I?ve always got the impression he stayed in the Rebellion much for Luke?s sake too ? but here it?s all about Leia, no big brother attitude at all. Or maybe I?m mistaken ? small brothers are annoying, is that how it is? Anyway, I thought Han softened to his friends before he softened to the Rebellion, but obviously not?

Them we come to Luke. I admit willingly that he's my reason to read SW - and as such, my disappointent in his charactrization here, was all the worse. Gone was the eager farmboy and reckless pilot I expected to find in this time era, instead I saw a fidgeting Jedi wannabee who doubts himself line after line and doesn?t

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 119.1/13 = 9.16

23. xoubara

xoubara Jedi Master star 2

Mar 4, 2003
    Just one more week and I will put my hands on this book. The wait is killing me... :(

24. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    This was possibly the most boring Star Wars book I have ever read. There is simply no sense of urgency, or any weight to the proceedings.

I could forgive this is there was ANY sense of escapism, but I didn't find any, and consequently struggled to even finish this. In Zahn, I see an author who writes like he doesn't have anything to prove, and hasn't grown in 20 years.

1/10

25. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    I liked this a lot better than I did "Allegiance", probably due to a more diverse cast. So many surprising comebacks, it would take a while to list them all - and all were welcome!

The plot was classic Zahn this time - and it did in time feel like he brought the entire gang back together again. But the character interactions were pretty vivid, the tension was build up properly and did not fall until the end and the book was indeed pretty hard to put down.

9.25/10 - a very pleasant read, however pretty much the entire Zahn's SW bibliography should be read first to understand all juiciness of every appearance.