main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: CORUSCANT NIGHTS III: PATTERNS OF FORCE (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jan 27, 2009.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 102.8/13 = 7.91

2. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    The final book really makes up for Coruscant Nights 2. This was one of my all time favorite SW novel series.

9/10

3. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 111.8/14 = 7.99

4. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    An unremarkable, but enjoyable book. The protagonists are sympathetic (still missing Nick, though), I-5 is actually not as annoying as he was before, the plot is interesting and solid, with not much to gripe about.

It has some problems, though: The number of Force influencing gimmicks is getting ridiculous, from the taozin scales to the lightsculptures, the pyronium and the bota... *shakes head* Maybe a bit more creativity would have made some of them unnecessary. Also, there are some glaring continuity mistakes - the "twenty years" I-5 has supposedly been carrying the bota or Anakin giving the pyronium to Jax before "leaving for Tatooine"... He never did that. He left for Naboo in AotC and went there directly from Teth in the Clone Wars movie. But, what irked me the most was the similiarities with Last of the Jedi. Each of the Coruscant Nights books has at some points "borrowed" plots, characters or situations from the older series, without any reference. Are DelRey authors contractually forbidden to reference Scholastic books? *rhetorical question*

Also, I was a bit... surprised all of the protagonists survived in the end. This is the Dark Times. Books set in this time period (like Last of the Jedi) tend to kill off their main characters (especially the Jedi characters) quite indiscriminately. I don't mind that Jax and Laranth got away. It's not like I want them dead. But... I'm just quite surprised that of all the Dark Times stuff that came out in the last years (aside from Coruscant Nights Rise of the Dark Lord, Last of the Jedi, and in a way TFU) the one series that was the most ruthless at killing off protagonists was the series for kids.^^

Ok, that was a lot of criticism. As I said, it's not like it's a bad book. It was enjoyable. It just wasn't more. 6.5/10

5. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Finally finished this. I'm going to give it a 7/10.

I absolutely adored the other two books and was so excited for this one and definitely got let down at the ending. I don't buy how they all could survive a fight with Vader like that. Someone should've died...erm...ok a lot of people should've died. Jax is a character that I like, but I never wanted or expected him to make it through this series. So I'm docking it quite a bit for the ending to the series. (Unless he plans on writing more books. I've kinda been out of the loop on that but I thought it was only supposed to be three.) It just felt like there was this huge setup to death and then we only got some of the bad guys dying. I'll bump it up to an 8 out of 10 if he's going to write more books in the series.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 125.3/16 = 7.83

7. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    Apart from all the strange timeline-issues that were all over the book I found it to be very well written with great characterizations. I especially like the way Reaves writes aliens as aliens, instead of humans with a different body. Both Dejah, Den and Rihnann do the things they do based on their cultural and biological heritage, very well done.

I thought Kaj's powers was a bit over-the-top, but his relation to the Force was still well written and interesting, so that's ok...

The ending however was a big disappointment. It was anticlimactic both as an ending to the plot started in this book, with the assassination plans and all, and as a wrap-up to a trilogy. I really hope we'll see an announcement soon about a sequel to CN, as that would be the only thing that could redeem this sloppy ending.

In the end, I give it: 7.5/10

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 132.8/17 = 7.81

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Let me first say I enjoyed this series, and I really enjoy Reaves's work. I think he is a top notch writer.

I disagree with most in that I liked the 2nd installment more than the 1st. So I had high hopes for the 3rd.

I feel a bit let down. I honestly can't remember if I like this one better or worse than the 1st book in the series, but I definately did not like it better than the second.

And as the endbook to the series, it just fell a little flat for me.

It had its moments, don't get me wrong. And like I said, I enjoy reading Reaves's writing.

But it felt very...fragmented to me. So much build up, and then it just seemed to end.

Continued to like I-5 and Laranth as characters and was glad to see her and Jax get back together.

But Kaj never really grew on me.

I am glad I read the series, but the ending was just kind of...meh.

7.75/10

10. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    Interesting. What about the 2nd book did you prefer over the other two?

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 140.55/18 = 7.81

12. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    This was easily the worst Star Wars novel I have ever read, blowing past the previous title holder, "Jedi Trial".

Well, that isn't entirely true. There is one Star Wars novel I never finished because it was so bad: "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter", coincidentally also written by Michael Reaves.

Whereas the first two "Coruscant Nights" books were harmless and forgettable fluff, "Patterns of Force" is downright boring, lazy and insulting. The characters are one-dimensional and lack any credible motivation. Pavan is the most lethargic Jedi I have ever heard of. He and his crew spend entire chapters in their apartment talking: talking about their plan, talking about how they feel about the plan, talking about how others feel about the plan. When they do leave the apartment, it is only to talk some more. I am stunned that any editor actually saw fit to put the Star Wars logo on this novel, seeing as there is so little action.

On the rare occasions that there is any action, it flies in the face of established canon. For example, since when can an Inquisitorius stand toe-to-toe with a Jedi Knight in lightsaber combat? As another poster mentioned, Reeves establishes that the Inquisitorium has been active long enough to have many agents who are as versed in the Jedi arts as someone raised in the Jedi temple. Hogwash. The major threat to Jedi during the purge is being overwhelmed by endless and ubiquitous legions of stormtroopers, not being defeated in one-on-one combat by Sith agents. Not one Imperial Stormtrooper appears in the entire story, something that should raise flaming red flags for anyone looking to read a post-Order 66 novel.

Oh, and that plan? The one they spent the ENTIRE BOOK TALKING ABOUT? It never happens. The duel between Vader and Pavan that has been hinted at since the first book? It never happens. Some sort of feeling of satisfaction for having wasted hours of your life reading this drivel?

It never happens.

Reaves seems more interested in maintaining his job security by populating the Star Wars Universe with as many of his lame characters as possible. It's as if he believes he will always have a job as long as he doesn't end the story of 1-5YQ, the sentient, force-radiating droid or Jax "Gee, I miss my dad" Pavan.

I know the economy is bad, but Mr. Reaves is one Star Wars author I wouldn't mind seeing on an unemployment line.

Final rating: 1 out of 10 (I'd give it a zero if I could)

13. KnightDawg

Nov 26, 2007
    That's not what the review thread is for.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, forgot to give this one a rating it seems.

I gave the first book a 10/10 as it really delivered on what i felt the Eu was all about. I gave the second book a 9.5/10 because it was a bit weaker and the timeline errors distracted occassionally, but was still very solid (and, once again, "The Butler Did it" automatically bumps it up a few points).

Book 3, for the first 3/4ths was running a neck and neck for the best EU novel ever- the scene with the Lorn hologram nailed the core of Star Wars and the rest of the book nailed what makes the EU so great.

However, the ending was dissapointing and seemed rushed- I didn't mind the open ended nature of the book but that final showdown, while including some good moments, fell short of the promise of the rest of the book and was, unfortunately, a bit vague/confusing as to what was actually going on. It also hurts a little that those events hinge on incorrect timeline data.

Still, better than the second book, and, had the ending ehld up, it would have outlassed the first book, so I'll break it down the middle: 9.7/10

Best book series since Stackpole. Best trilogy since Zahn.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That is one unfortunate thing about the book; the stormtroopers are not seen because their function is fulfilled by the Inquisitors, just as Vader was under-used until the ending due to Tesla playing what normally would have been the Dark Lord's role.

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. In short, the 1st seemed to get really slow for a long chunk of the middle.

I also liked the more pulpish feel of the 2nd and the budding romance between Jax and Loranth (one of my favorite SW characters overall, among many other things.

I felt it was the tightest story, structure-wise, of the trilogy.

17. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    This was an alright end to an alright trilogy. I enjoyed much about it, the aforementioned scene with Lorn being something that I agree really hits to the heart of what Star Wars is, is just one example. For the most part the characters were all really likable and believable, with a couple minor exceptions. But it was not perfect. The minor date issues just...bug me. I understand there are probably explanatory factors as to why those dates were so wildly off, but still, I'm a stickler for obvious dating issues like that. Plus the ending did seem kind of rushed, almost as if Reaves realized late in the game he needed to wrap it up, and quick! Ah well. Coruscant Nights I think will be remembered well enough, if nothing else for having the guts to tell a largely detective-esque type story in a world of space fantasy. For that alone, it's commendable, but as for this book on it's own, I have to give it a 7/10

18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Average score: 158.25/21 = 7.54

19. Granny-Wan

Granny-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2009
    Argh, not again... I just finished II and was complaining about the time references... very distracting. I'm about to start III as soon as it arrives from B&N... I guess I'll be forewarned about it, but it really bugs me.. the PT only covers 13 years, it shouldn't be that hard to keep it straight...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The errors in #2 were outright mistakes due to Reaves' health issues at the time and a tight deadline. The third book though- there's a theory that this series was originally meant to be set closer to ANH but was changed midway through the process and that's why you have the dual references to near ROTS and 20 years from whatever.

21. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    I am interested to know more about Darth Ramage' holocron

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Whatever the situation was regarding the errors in CN II, it probably covers the errors in both books.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the delays in the series' release, I'd speculate that any deadline issues had more to do with the first two books than the third, since they were originally going to be released a year apart.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The timeline errors are the same in both II and III. I don't know when the original deadline for III was set; if health issues were the reason for the errors in II, then IMO that probably extends to III as well. Given the close story-based linkage in time of the individual books to one another, I don't see the "originally closer to ANH" theory as something more applicable to CN III than the other two.

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Oh, it appears I never wrote a review for this one. It's been too long for me to do a proper one now. All I can say is that I enjoyed it quite a bit. 8.5