main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reviews Books The JC Lit Reviews Special: DARK LORD: THE RISE OF DARTH VADER (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Oct 31, 2005.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I actually like that it shows that Lord Vader is not a pushover. To the contrary, he's still eminently powerful with the Force--so powerful that in a telekinetic struggle, Vader's grip is so strong that a Jedi Master feels as if his tug isn't having any effect. Understandably, Vader's initially rather clumsy with his Vader technique, but his ferocity and consummate skill are later shown as he easily dispatches with four Jedi with seemingly little effort. It shows that he is no longer restricted to a single saber form, and actually incorporates a bewildering mix of all of the highest and lowest arts--take that, Vaapad! Lord Vader's style is showed as singularly effective and extremely unpredictable. He's power personified.

Of course, that's what Lord Vader is--power. Palpatine is a softer, subtler thing--which is why he's supreme. But aside from him, Lord Vader is described as peerless, both within the Imperial heirarchy and through the realm of the Force. Throughout the book, it is said that he was to be treated as if he were the Emperor himself. That's telling.

Despite the claims of many, Lord Vader is no mere errand boy (not even to Palpatine himself!), and he is no mere cripple. The only reason he has been considered as such was because he initially thought so, until he knew better.

For that reason alone, I'm giving it an 8/10. Aside from Vader and Palpatine, the book was quite slow. The rescuing of Vader is what gives the book this high rating from me.

8/10

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    8.5 out of 10

For me, the book was of a high caliber, though there were a few parts that I considered a bit slow. I did not care for the begining, since in my mind the Clone Wars are over and they have way too much written on them anyways. :p

Yet, once we got to Coruscant, recently remained Imperial Center, the book picked up. I enjoyed seeing the first signs of the Galactic Empire we all remember from the movies. New Star Destroyers, mention of a upcoming Seinar fighter (wink, wink), Moff Tarkin developing a relationship with Vader, etc. I was also very moved by the chapter describing Vader's existence in the suit. The pain, the horror- you really look at Vader in a different light. Furthermore, it is also sad to see how the Emperor manipulates events so that poor Anakin begins to fully embrace the evil we all know we will begin to commit.

I also liked seeing the senators like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and others. Garm Bel Iblis is mentioned, yet he has no speaking roles. I hope to see alot more of Bail and Alderaan as the era between the two movies is fleshed out.

--Adm. Nick

3. dakinJmacwalker

dakinJmacwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    how many of you have cheated and skipped over alot of the boring shyde or whatever their names are parts and just read the Vader parts for the first reading?

4. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    The book was a really quick read...not too much fluff.
    However, I would've liked there to have been more Darth Vader, considering it was called DARK LORD: THE RISE OF DARTH VADER.
    They spent entirely too much time on that Starstone be-atch.

Probably the thing I liked most was how so many of the plot points from ROTS were clarified.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I very much enjoyed this novel. A lot of people seem to have disliked Shryne; he was one of the highlights for me. A truly average Jedi. He's no Mace Windu, but he isn't an Etain Tur-Mukan "Ooh, look at me, I'm so unpowerful and atypical and all my lack of confidence issues will be resolved by the end of the book" Jedi either. He's cynical, losing faith in the Order and the Force, losing his connection with the Force, competent but not superpowered. Plus, he's got a straight-laced Padawan, who isn't even his (nice touch), as an excellent foil. They helped make the book, in my opinion. I also enjoyed the opening Clone Wars battle and the closing enslavement of Kashyyyk. The battles just somehow came off really well.

I would say, though, that this book suffers from trying to do too much, trying to cram too much into the book both in terms of events and continuity/transition to the Empire. I would have preferred some of the events be spread out across the timeline more. Also, there wasn't nearly enough exploration of Vader and Sidious's relationship. There should have been much more focus on Vader coming into his own as a Sith Lord.

All in all, it gets an 8.9/10. Very good, enjoyable, but detectably flawed.

6. dakinJmacwalker

dakinJmacwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    i really think for my first reading i'm just going to skim over the shrynes parts and read Darth Vader parts in detail, I bought this book to mailny get inside Vaders head after the aftermath of Revenge, and cover all the main plot points, I don't really care for these other Jedi running around "THEY MUST BE PURGED" [face_idea]

7. NocturnaLeiAyr

NocturnaLeiAyr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Overall, I enjoyed this book. A good addition to the EU, and a nice bridge between III and IV.

My overall grade: 9 out of 10.

I have to admit that I was annoyed by the opening chapters, having to read all about the anonymous jedi and tedious battle descriptions. All I wanted, of course, was to get to VADER! But by the end I liked Olee and Shryne. I agree with other posters that all the other Jedi are negligably characterized--obvious plot devices, basically.

The best parts include whenever we get inside Vader's head. The descriptions of the suit's limitations were excellent, as were the confrontational scenes between Sidious and Vader. The scenes with Bail and Obi-Wan were fantastic; I also loved seeing their reactions to the discovery that Anakin/Vader has survived.

SPOILER HERE:
    I really loved best the climactic scene between Vader and Shryne. Shryne gets Vader "monologuing" like any common villain, for heaven's sake! (But what a great monologue it is: tormenting Shryne with the secret of his identity and betrayal. Phew. I had to re-read that scene several times (and Lucerno divides this scene between two chapters, with less-important stuff in between). It is very powerful. Watching Vader grow in dark side power and confidence was excellent, especially believable was his progression from the beginning of the book to the end.

I wish there were going to be more books about Vader during this time frame! Maybe more Republic comics will focus on Vader...I hope!

8. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Republic is over . . . but maybe there will be a new series . . .

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 10 ratings: 83.9/10 = 8.39

10. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    A fine effort by Luceno. Not a book I'd necessarily read twice (so why did I buy the hardcover?!), but I'm better EU-wise for having read it. 8.25/10.

Unlike many reviewers, I actually liked the first few chapters being devoted to a pre-Order 66 campaign. "Climber" was a rather fascinating clone (perhaps the logical extension/progression of the Hard Contact who seemed to be exploring the concept of humanity). More than that, though, the ability to recollect those early pages gave me a certain "Look how far things have fallen!" effect by the end of the book. In that sense, Luceno was able to progress his story a remarkable amount in a short (and pretty vague) timeline.

The main Jedi were straight out of Jedi Central Casting: the disillusioned, rogue-ish, experienced one; and the dutiful, idealistic, inexperienced, young one. (The former actually satisfies a bit of the "Oh man, I'm so uncertain of my skills" angle too.) These are two of eight Jedi employed in the story, but I'd say five of those eight are almost completely unnecessary---as they're more referenced than used. (Well, two of them are completely abused, getting decapitated by Vader!) However, I liked (and believed) the manner in which Luceno developed Shryne and Starstone's relationship---and I agreed with his decision concerning who ended up dead and who ended up a smuggler.

Now, the book contains two cheesy conceits:

1) [Roan], I am your [mother]; and,
    2) I have seen the future, [Lord Vader], and it involves you, and it is [the Battle of Endor].

Which, to me, begs a question: what, really, is a more egregious example of "elevating EU characters above movie characters"? The stuff Zahn is crucified in some quarters for doing with Mara Jade, or Luceno's blunt use of the Skywalker line's "long-lost parent" theme and the insinuation that Vader will recall this conversation and be humbled at Endor---all to the benefit of Luceno's own character? But no matter . . .

Quick hits:

* Liked the use of the Wookiees---seemed more relevant to the story than in ROTS.
    * Loved the descriptions of Vader's inadequate equipment---reminded me of the funky leg in the "Tales of the Darth Side" blog.
    * We also know that Vader sleeps (tries to, at least) and drinks/eats (crudely, at least).
    * Looks like 3-PO (where am I? what am I doing here?) and R2 have made fast friends!
    * Interesting that Vader thinks Bail hasn't been investigated enough for his actions on the night of Order 66 and that Vader wanted to meet Bail's wife and kid---maybe he has a sliver of suspicion that his kid survived?
    * Mon Mothma confides she wasn't really up on this whole Sith thing throughout the Clone Wars---talk about keeping the Senate in the dark!
    * Loved the use of Separatist machinery against the Empire---rebellion!

Finally, what really makes this book worthwhile, IMHO at least, is the dynamic between Sidious and Vader. Sidious manipulates Vader's crisis of confidence, so that Vader will act and transcend mere Jedihood. To that end, I appreciated that Sidious thought nothing of the scattering Jedi's existence (humble them by driving them to the sand or snow) or weaponry (Sith use lightsabers only to condescend to the Jedi's level)---and that he showed little concern toward them, until the time was right to unleash Vader.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 11 ratings: 92.15/11 = 8.38

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    What to give this book?

I think Luceno has a great grasp of the characters he writes about. Vader was perfect, in the begining of the book he still had some of anakin in him, but as the story goes on the real vader comes out. Palpatine was also perfect, again luceno does a good job showing sidious's scheaming and manipulating. I thoug bail was also well done. Even though obi-wan apperance was brief i really did enjoy it. It was nice to see chewie involved in the action. I do have a bit of a problem reconsiling his reaction to obi-wan in anh with this newly exposed prior relationship with the jedi, but i don't see that as luceno's problem. I also really enjoyed the scene with the driods.

I liked the new characters. I though Shryne and Olee were very believable. Olee also sounded hot, i have a thing for brunettes with light eyes. I wonder how big her boobs were? Any way, i also like how Shryne was a bit of a foil for vader. Even though Shryne had developed attachements to his mother and olee, he still did his job as a jedi. He did fight vader to protect olee and let her escape, but at the same time, that was the jedi thing to do.

I also think Luceno's writing was a bit smoother this time then in some of his other books.

I guess i'll the book a 9.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 12 ratings: 101.15/12 = 8.43

14. DavBacca

DavBacca Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2002
    I give it an 8.6

I don't understand what happened to Chewie @ the end, I take it he must have found out his family survived by THG? I loved his character in this book. It ties in very well with LOE and the novelization of ROTS, it felt good to have my recent reading acknowledged. I didn't really like Vader in this book, but he's still a lot like the young Anakin who I didn't like. I loved the action on Alderaan, and I got a real kick out of the battle droids coming back to life and the Sep star destroyer being used against the empire.

15. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    whats the price for the book been? is it above $20 in some places or below?

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What the hell? That's just creepy, dude. Find a real girl. Or then again, do them all a favor and don't.:rolleyes:

17. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I think he's making a joke. ;)

Anyhow I'm around page 70 and it's moving along at a good pace. So far the novel is Luceno's best written but not his most gripping.

18. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Really enjoying the book so far. Luceno has an awesome grasp of Vader's character and is dealing with some of the issues not resolved in the film. Namely, Obi Wan's guilt at leaving Anakin behind to die, and Vader's very, scarily logical reasons for opposing the Jedi Order (I skipped ahead so sue me). Vader makes a hard case that the Jedi Order really was beyond saving. The three new Jedi are going to be cannon fodder, but they're likeable enough in their own way. I'm also interested by the Republic Commandos who refused to execute Order 66. I always thought those guys would be most likely to resist that order, as ARCs are way too gung ho to have passed it up, and regular troops are too drone like to resist.

19. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeesh Havac, chill man.

How many guys drool over Mara, Jaina and Mirax? not to mention Winter.

Hell, thats like saying erotic scenes in books arnt erotic because there is such a things as Real Sex.

A book character can be Hot, they just need a descripion like what Starstone got, i agree she sounded actractive. (And wasnt she Black haired? not brown?)
    Doesnt mean i must be a horrible boyfriend to any real girls.

Though his comment on her boobs was uneeded, i agree >_>

20. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    8/10

Loved almost all the Vader parts, got a little carried away with the dealings of Starstone and the other Jedi. Obi-Wan at the end reacting to Darth Vader being alive was awesome!

21. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004

I really enjoyed this book. not a lot to complain about. It seemed to answer some questions I had, and segwaying nicely to the Han Solo books. I see some people didn't care for the Jedi, I'm kind of surprised. I found them to be pretty entertaining.

22. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Counting 15 ratings: 127.45/15 = 8.50

23. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I wouldn't call it a true 'sequel' to ROTS, because it doesn't have a lot of the main players in it. So that part is a bit misleading. Half the book is devoted to some no-name Jedi who survive. Obi-Wan appears only briefly. No Yoda. Only Vader and Sidious. I skipped through the Shryne parts to get to Vader, but went back and read it all. I can't imagine Ian delivering some of those lines, imo the characterization of the emperor was a little off. There's no reason Vader would reveal to Shryne that he is really Anakin Skywalker.

I enjoyed the book because events covered are ones I've been wanting to read about forever. It's all here: The first days of Vader and the Empire. The Jedi Purge.

I'm a fan of Luceno, but I believe that no matter who wrote the book or how good or badly it was executed, it would still be a hit because people want to read about this stuff. To that end, it wasn't an excellent book, it was an ok book. Sure, I'm glad I read it and I'll probably reread it. But any author could have written it. I expect more from Luceno. For a book heavily marketed as "The rise of Darth Vader," there wasn't a whole lot of him. Fifty pages in is our first glimpse of Him.

Thematically, I don't agree with Anakin and Vader being treated as distinct individuals. Qui-Gon says Vader won't return to Tatooine for fear of 'reawakening Anakin.' Like Anakin is trapped/buried deep inside the possessive spirit/demon of Vader. IMO, Anakin IS Vader. Anakin turned to the dark side. Anakin killed people. Vader is just a name. A title. At the end of ROTJ, I don't believe Anakin was 'reawakened' or 'let out' like he had been fighting an internal battle of supremecy with Vader and finally won. They are one. Anakin was a good person. Then he became a bad person. Finally he became a good person again.

6.7 out of 10

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There's no reason Vader would reveal to Shryne that he is really Anakin Skywalker.

Holy Batman's butt, are you serious? If I was about to kill someone I hated, I sure as smoked salmon would! Why, the look on their face . . . :D

25. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    I enjoyed the book, but it didnt really live up to what I was expecting. I basically loved the beginning and the end, but could have done without the middle. (Which I know is ridiculous in a structural sense.) I loved seeing the events of Order 66 thhrough the eyes of random Jedi that didnt know what the hell was happening. All the steps towards piecing the truth together ruled! Roan Shryne was a well done character. Not the typical generic one dimentional guy thats gonna die, he had just enough background to make me want him to survive. The entire Kashhyk section was awesome, though Im not too keen on ANY Jedi surviving. (IMO by A New Hope there only two living Jedi, no refugees or Jedi turned smuggler crap. That just sucks and lowers Vader on the fear-o-meter.) I liked that the locals on Tatooine see Ben Kenobi as a crazy old man, knocking over tables, and talking to himself in the street. I thought Qui Gon would only be able to talk to him during meditation though. These are random thoughts for now.

7/10